PDA

View Full Version : Billy Beane gives away valued secret?

kermittheefrog
02-07-2002, 01:52 AM
Looking at the free agent market this year I thought it was clear something major happened. Then I got a tip from an insider apparently Billy Beane stood up and gave his fellow GMs a memorable piece of advice:

"Hey guys, I don't think it's a good idea to give players who suck lots of money in multiyear deals."

And then the era of stupid signings was over. Yet for us Sox fans it's a year too late. Ya see I remember last year the Sox signed a fellow named Alomar to a 2 year deal for lotsa money and he sucked just as much as he had the previous year. Now we have to watch Alomar again this year. *sigh* A year can be such a long time.

RichH55
02-07-2002, 09:01 AM
Yeah but we should have like an extra 10 to 15 million dollars to spend next year and not many holes.....could get the guy we are missing with that cash and extend some of the young guns for a long time

rmusacch
02-07-2002, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Yeah but we should have like an extra 10 to 15 million dollars to spend next year and not many holes.....could get the guy we are missing with that cash and extend some of the young guns for a long time

Ivan Rodriguez maybe?

kermittheefrog
02-07-2002, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by rmusacch

Ivan Rodriguez maybe?

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft. pole, how many catchers actually play well into their 30s?

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

I wouldn't touch him with a 10 ft. pole, how many catchers actually play well into their 30s?

Carlton Fisk is the only one I can think of...

Ray Schalk's last good season was 1925, when he was 33.
Gary Carter stopped playing every day in 1988 - he was 34.
Johnny Bench was converted to a 1B/3B in 1981 - he was 33.
Yogi Berra started playing the outfield in 1960 - he was 35.

Ivan Rodriguez is 30 - he probably has 1 or 2 good seasons left as a catcher before he's converted to a 1B/DH type.
Mike Piazza is 33 - this could well be the last season you see him behind the plate.

MisterB
02-07-2002, 10:22 PM
"Hey guys, I don't think it's a good idea to give players who suck lots of money in multiyear deals."

:jaime
"Did someone call my name?"

awesomefan
02-08-2002, 04:48 AM
MisterB: Thanks for another big laugh tonight at the expense of Jaimie Navarro. That dumb look on his face is Priceless...in a Brewers uni to boot....they loved that guy...they must have to take him back a 2nd time...hehehehehehe

RedPinStripes
02-08-2002, 07:54 AM
Billy Bean has other serets to reveal. Or come out of the closet with. :o: