PDA

View Full Version : Mags the Sox only All-Star in 2002?

Bisco Stu
02-07-2002, 12:50 AM
It's a given Mags will be in his 4th straight All-Star game, given Torre's the manager and Torre LOVES Mags (unless he's injured, of course. A subpar first-half by Mags will not come into play, as I expect him to challenge for A.L. MVP).

Will any other White Sox make it? Foulke probably the best shot, with Thomas and Konerko (who I expect BIG things from this season) also in contention.

kermittheefrog
02-07-2002, 12:53 AM
Little early to think about this? You never know who is going to be a flash in the pan over the first half and make the team. *coff*James Baldwin*coff*

longshot7
02-07-2002, 01:20 AM
I vote for Ribbie and Roobarb.

RichH55
02-07-2002, 08:04 AM
If Frank comes out playing like a man with something to prove, he should have no trouble making the team, and if Ray plays decent for Ray he should make it, especially with no Alomar(who is the best AL 2nd this year?)

moochpuppy
02-07-2002, 10:03 AM
I'll go out on a limb (a very small limb mind you) and say that Lofton breaks out early and returns to form to make the All Star team.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by Bisco Stu
It's a given Mags will be in his 4th straight All-Star game, given Torre's the manager and Torre LOVES Mags (unless he's injured, of course. A subpar first-half by Mags will not come into play, as I expect him to challenge for A.L. MVP).

Will any other White Sox make it? Foulke probably the best shot, with Thomas and Konerko (who I expect BIG things from this season) also in contention.

It is a little early, but I doubt Konerko will make it. First base is an awfully tough position to make the All-Star game from. Thomas will have to put up 2000-style numbers to make the team.

Ironically, Valentin might have a better shot to make the team as a 3B than he ever did as a SS.

With Alomar in the NL, Durham has a really good shot at making the team, unless he totally sucks. His main competition is going to be Soriano and Boone, but I think Soriano will fall flat on his face this season, and Boone will go back to being average.

Buerhle should have a good shot, if he produces the way he did last season.

If Keith Foulke gets left off again, it will be a travesty.

MattSharp
02-07-2002, 10:25 AM
I agree that Mags and Durham are in. Especially with it being Durham's contract year. Foulke should make it. The key to him making it is having someone else on the Angels play good. If no one is and Percival is their one by default it may snub Foulke. Thomas and Konerko stand a shot, but it won't be both. Konerko has to be better than Giambi, Delgado, Mo Vaughn and others. Its tough....

Meatpants
02-07-2002, 10:28 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
I agree that Mags and Durham are in. Especially with it being Durham's contract year. Foulke should make it. The key to him making it is having someone else on the Angels play good. If no one is and Percival is their one by default it may snub Foulke. Thomas and Konerko stand a shot, but it won't be both. Konerko has to be better than Giambi, Delgado, Mo Vaughn and others. Its tough....

Mo Vaughn is gone to the Mets. Giambi and Delgado are probably definites, Frank would be competing w/ Edgar, Palmeiro, and Thome I think.

Procol Harum
02-07-2002, 11:17 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz
and Boone will go back to being average.

But All-Star voting usually lags a year behind actual performance. Mariners-consciousness will probably give him the bump he needs to win the vote, regardless of his actual performance. And whether Durham makes it on his own merit as a backup,is anybody's guess at this point. Perhaps the double factor of Lofton's now being in the lead-off spot and it being RD's contract year will actually goose him into playing up to his potential.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Procol Harum

But All-Star voting usually lags a year behind actual performance. Mariners-consciousness will probably give him the bump he needs to win the vote, regardless of his actual performance. And whether Durham makes it on his own merit as a backup,is anybody's guess at this point. Perhaps the double factor of Lofton's now being in the lead-off spot and it being RD's contract year will actually goose him into playing up to his potential.

You're probably right - if the Mariners are in contention next season, Mariner fans will probably vote in a half-dozen starters again. And with Torre as manager, Durham will have to be pretty special to beat out Soriano. On talent alone, I'd take Durham over either of those two guys (and I'm not a huge Durham fan) but politics will probably keep him out.

MattSharp
02-07-2002, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by Meatpants

Mo Vaughn is gone to the Mets.

My bad. I was thinking Bo So for some reason.