PDA

View Full Version : B Mac more effective

stacksedwards
06-14-2006, 03:42 PM
It seems that macarthy is a hundred times more effective comming into the game to start innings rather than comming in with guys on base. The last two times he has came in to start innnings both were 1-2-3. Last time he came in w/guys on base in Clevland he gave up a shot. has anybody noticed this

EastCoastSoxFan
06-14-2006, 03:47 PM
It seems that macarthy is a hundred times more effective comming into the game to start innings rather than comming in with guys on base. The last two times he has came in to start innnings both were 1-2-3. Last time he came in w/guys on base in Clevland he gave up a shot. has anybody noticed this
What separates good relief pitchers from elite relief pitchers is the ability to consistently strand inherited runners (See '05 postseason: Cotts, Neil)
Until McCarthy gets to the point where he can consistently strand inherited runners (and I believe he will get there if he stays in the pen) he will be a good, but not an elite, relief pitcher...

Britt Burns
06-14-2006, 03:53 PM

I've noticed that also. There have been several closers (although who escapses me right now) who always seem to do better leading off an inning as opposed to coming in with an out or two or runners on. I wonder with BMac if it is a function of him moving to the pen relatively recently.