PDA

View Full Version : Hummel or Harris?

Chisox_cali
02-06-2002, 11:57 PM
I guess today is the ......or......? day for me. Well this ones a poll.

Who do you want to play second base for the Sox in '03?

I say Hummel with Harris leading off and playing center.

kermittheefrog
02-06-2002, 11:59 PM
Poor Hummel, having to be compared to such a loser from a horrible organization.

RichH55
02-07-2002, 12:01 AM
Im going with Hummel here....I would prefer a guy with a .380 OBP that 40 Steals....though Harris will get every shot to make the big club

Daver
02-07-2002, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
Poor Hummel, having to be compared to such a loser from a horrible organization.

I disagree with that,but Hummel is the better choice at second base.

Chisox_cali
02-07-2002, 12:03 AM

Well Hummel had the job all for himself until KW traded Chris, and there began the talk of Harris competing with Hummel for the job. I guess it also hinges on where LTP is placed and if CLee is traded. Who would have thunk the outfield positions effected second base for the Sox.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 12:04 AM

You don't like Harris? He had a .364 OBP in AA last season, I thought that was pretty good. and 54 SBs is outstanding at any level.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
Im going with Hummel here....I would prefer a guy with a .380 OBP that 40 Steals....though Harris will get every shot to make the big club

Can they move Hummel back to short? Or was that not an option?

Daver
02-07-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Well Hummel had the job all for himself until KW traded Chris, and there began the talk of Harris competing with Hummel for the job. I guess it also hinges on where LTP is placed and if CLee is traded. Who would have thunk the outfield positions effected second base for the Sox.

C.Lee only has trade value to another AL team.

kermittheefrog
02-07-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by czalgosz

You don't like Harris? He had a .364 OBP in AA last season, I thought that was pretty good. and 54 SBs is outstanding at any level.

It's not that I don't like him but I see him as a utilityman not a starter.

RichH55
02-07-2002, 12:07 AM

His OBP was that high? Damn...I still think SBs are overrated in todays game, but he definately merits watching......Harris could still be the 2nd choice, if Crede doesnt pan out at third(Hummel can play 3B as well)...Im pretty much banking on Hummel making next years team, but there are alot of options and many scenarios yet to play out

RichH55
02-07-2002, 12:09 AM
Originally posted by daver

C.Lee only has trade value to another AL team.

I would disagree with the statement....his LF is adequate, though I think that it will tend to be better than last year...but Lee was mentioned in the trade talks with Pittsburgh, who IIRC are a NL team....

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 12:09 AM

It's not that I don't like him but I see him as a utilityman not a starter.

Okay, I'll buy that. He'll probably see some time on the team even this season, IMO.

Daver
02-07-2002, 12:13 AM

I would disagree with the statement....his LF is adequate, though I think that it will tend to be better than last year...but Lee was mentioned in the trade talks with Pittsburgh, who IIRC are a NL team....

And you'll notice the deal was never made.

Chisox_cali
02-07-2002, 12:13 AM
Hummel's best position is Second Base Right? Harris plays Center and Second Base both well too I've also heard. Logically Hummel should be thought of as the starter for '03 and Harris in Center, but once again in depends on where the brass put LTP.

Daver
02-07-2002, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali
Hummel's best position is Second Base Right? Harris plays Center and Second Base both well too I've also heard. Logically Hummel should be thought of as the starter for '03 and Harris in Center, but once again in depends on where the brass put LTP.

Hummel was drafted as a SS,he was moved because he had a problem with errors at that position.Harris can also play SS,though he has little experience at the position,he can play every outfeild position though.

duke of dorwood
02-07-2002, 10:14 AM
I hope Hummel gets his shot. He has progressed, improved and I want to see what he can do every day. This better not be another Crede situation where he don't get a first shot that has been the plan for a while.

RichH55
02-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
I hope Hummel gets his shot. He has progressed, improved and I want to see what he can do every day. This better not be another Crede situation where he don't get a first shot that has been the plan for a while.

I think that Hummels upside is probably better than Crede's at this point, so I guess it is all how you look at it....I enjoy looking at Hummel's OBP though

doublem23
02-07-2002, 06:58 PM
I still think SBs are overrated in todays game

What?

RedPinStripes
02-07-2002, 07:19 PM
It would be nice if Harris can play SS. The OF is already too crouded unless they are going to move Rowand?

Daver
02-07-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes
It would be nice if Harris can play SS. The OF is already too crouded unless they are going to move Rowand?

He can play SS,but is better at 2B.

cornball
02-07-2002, 09:25 PM
To hard to really tell who you prefer, until you see their style of play....at least it is for me. I guess you all think Ray is a goner after this year..???

Daver
02-07-2002, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by cornball
To hard to really tell who you prefer, until you see their style of play....at least it is for me. I guess you all think Ray is a goner after this year..???

I would say that the Sox are preparing the groundwork for that,but at this point I will not say he is a goner.Despite all his faults Ray is one of the top 2B in the league,so the big question will be what he demands salary wise,the Sox are not going to pay him the top money for that positiion.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 09:47 PM

I would say that the Sox are preparing the groundwork for that,but at this point I will not say he is a goner.Despite all his faults Ray is one of the top 2B in the league,so the big question will be what he demands salary wise,the Sox are not going to pay him the top money for that positiion.

That's the thing. If he demands say 10-12 mill per, then I think the Sox can say goodbye without too many tears.

Daver
02-07-2002, 09:50 PM

That's the thing. If he demands say 10-12 mill per, then I think the Sox can say goodbye without too many tears.

Pay no attention to me,I know nothing about baseball.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 09:54 PM

Pay no attention to me,I know nothing about baseball.

I'm almost looking forward to Durham leaving... If the Sox struggle this season, they can trade him to a contender and get great value. If not, they can get a draft pick by letting him go... It's win-win! It's nice to have depth at second base.

Now, if we can get some depth at shortstop, then I can stop defending Royce Clayton. He really doesn't deserve it.

Daver
02-07-2002, 09:57 PM

I'm almost looking forward to Durham leaving... If the Sox struggle this season, they can trade him to a contender and get great value. If not, they can get a draft pick by letting him go... It's win-win! It's nice to have depth at second base.

Now, if we can get some depth at shortstop, then I can stop defending Royce Clayton. He really doesn't deserve it.

Dallero has some possibilites,and Harris can play SS if Ray is re-signed.There is another kid in low A,whose name escapes me at the moment,that shows some real promise.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 10:00 PM

Dallero has some possibilites,and Harris can play SS if Ray is re-signed.There is another kid in low A,whose name escapes me at the moment,that shows some real promise.

I think it's Andy Gonzalez you're talking about... I think he's our best shot.

If Harris can play short, that would be great.

Dellaero hasn't hit .200 since 1999... I don't mind a weak-hitting shortstop, but that's ridiculous...

Daver
02-07-2002, 10:03 PM

I think it's Andy Gonzalez you're talking about... I think he's our best shot.

If Harris can play short, that would be great.

Dellaero hasn't hit .200 since 1999... I don't mind a weak-hitting shortstop, but that's ridiculous...

I said some about Dallaero,about the same as Julio I guess,though he is younger.Harris can play SS,but he is more experienced at 2B.I would like to see the Sox play him at SS in Charlotte to see what he can do.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 10:04 PM
I just realized... we haven't had an everyday starting shortstop come out of our system in a long, long time.

Guillen came from the San Diego system.
Caruso came from San Francisco
Valentin came from Milwaukee
Clayton came from Texas

Am I missing someone?

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 10:05 PM

I said some about Dallaero,about the same as Julio I guess,though he is younger.Harris can play SS,but he is more experienced at 2B.I would like to see the Sox play him at SS in Charlotte to see what he can do.

I would like to see that as well... It's not like Harris would be blocking someone more worthy at the position...

RichH55
02-08-2002, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by doublem23

What?

I still think SBs are overrated, especially in the AL....any stat heads out there have the latest info on what your conversion rate has to be for your SB count to be positive? It used to be 66% but I think its even higher now