PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Suspensions timing

cws05champ
06-14-2006, 10:05 AM
The other night BBTN was talking about the AJP and Barrett incident and the suspensions for Barrett. They thought that it was rediculous that the incident happened on May 21st and no one has served a day of suspensions yet. It was pointed out that the Cubs are delaying until D Lee gets back...should this be allowed? I think MLB needs to review this policy to shorten the decision time on the appeal process.

What do you guys think?

SoxFan78
06-14-2006, 10:16 AM
I think its a ****ing disgrace that Michael Barrett can hit AJ right in the face in front of 38K, and in front of millions watching at home, and not spend one day on the bench for 3 weeks now.

Major League Baseball dropped the ball on this one!

Layla
06-14-2006, 10:16 AM
I readily admit I don't know much about the appeals process, but I don't understand how the Cubs could be delaying it.

I seem to remember (and correct me if I'm wrong) the minute that the suspensions/fines were announced, all involved (except Cora) announced their appeals.

MLB is taking their sweet times with this, and why I have no idea. It's almost one month old. There is no excuse for this delay.

DaleJRFan
06-14-2006, 11:57 AM
The other night BBTN was talking about the AJP and Barrett incident and the suspensions for Barrett. They thought that it was
R I D I C U L O U S that the incident happened on May 21st and no one has served a day of suspensions yet. It was pointed out that the Cubs are delaying until D Lee gets back...should this be allowed? I think MLB needs to review this policy to shorten the decision time on the appeal process.

What do you guys think?

Fixed it for you.

I agree with what the BBTN boobs were saying, and I agree with you. Its one thing is a pitcher hits a guy and gets a 5 days suspension - its an entirely different scenario when a player starts a freakin brawl. How Barrett has continued to play without serving his suspension is beyond me.

I doubt there's any validity to what Steve Phillips said, but it isn't too far fetched... MLB making concessions for the struggling flubs by sitting on Barrett's appeal hearing until Lee comes back??? Ok, maybe that's a WAY out there.

pooper
06-14-2006, 11:59 AM
I heard on either 670 or 1000 that MLB is delaying so that Barrett wont face the Sox again

DaleJRFan
06-14-2006, 12:04 PM
I heard on either 670 or 1000 that MLB is delaying so that Barrett wont face the Sox again

ok, that sounds about right.

skottyj242
06-14-2006, 12:05 PM
I might be wrong but usually when suspensions are handed and they appeal the appeal is usually heard when the team goes to the East coat. I am under the impression that the reason this is taking so long is because all the parties haven't been able to get under one roof yet, this is supposed to happen Friday.

Mickster
06-14-2006, 12:09 PM

Untrue. If the hearing takes place Friday, Barrett will serve his suspension (10 games or fewer depending on the outcome) effective immediately (meaning Friday or Saturday at the latest). With that, he will miss at least some games against the Tigers, but will certainly be back for the series with the Sox.

downstairs
06-14-2006, 12:17 PM
I might be wrong but usually when suspensions are handed and they appeal the appeal is usually heard when the team goes to the East coat. I am under the impression that the reason this is taking so long is because all the parties haven't been able to get under one roof yet, this is supposed to happen Friday.

Yes, this is the correct answer. No conspiracies here, folks. This is how its always been.

Now, I agree its silly. It allows a player 3-4 weeks to "appeal" and he could "drop" his appeal at any time... thus allowing him to determine when he's going to serve.

I still have no idea why appeals have to be face-to-face. MLB- a billion dollar industry- doesn't have a conference call system?!?!

rookie
06-14-2006, 12:49 PM
Untrue. If the hearing takes place Friday, Barrett will serve his suspension (10 games or fewer depending on the outcome) effective immediately (meaning Friday or Saturday at the latest). With that, he will miss at least some games against the Tigers, but will certainly be back for the series with the Sox.

I swear KW called this when it happened. He was ticked and said (and didn't seem to happy about it) that Barrett would probably miss playing the Tigers but still end up playing us. Let me see if I can find it...

White Sox general manager Ken Williams said he would like to see a more aggressive approach to when penalties should begin. "I just wish Major League Baseball would really take more of an active role and mandate when penalties should be served," Williams said. "Why should Michael Barrett get the chance to beat us the next day? Or the next time we play them? He'll play against us and then serve his suspension against Detroit. That's fair?"

I guess he was talking about playing the Sox the next day against us, not the next series.

Dan Mega
06-14-2006, 12:51 PM
I doubt there's any validity to what Steve Phillips said, but it isn't too far fetched... MLB making concessions for the struggling flubs by sitting on Barrett's appeal hearing until Lee comes back??? Ok, maybe that's a WAY out there.

I was about to say, thats kind of Hangar-ish:tongue: .

But yeah, the length of time these suspensions are taking is ridiculous. Does it have anything to do with the players union? In the NBA and the NFL, they are suspended immediately, and if there is an appeal during the season, it generally only takes a week at most.

skottyj242
06-14-2006, 01:15 PM

Actually I think you might be wrong. If the hearing is Friday that doesn't mean the decision will be reached Friday, what if it takes a couple of days to come to that? They may come to a conclusion Friday but it may take a coupole of days or even a week.

oeo
06-14-2006, 01:58 PM
The other night BBTN was talking about the AJP and Barrett incident and the suspensions for Barrett. They thought that it was rediculous that the incident happened on May 21st and no one has served a day of suspensions yet. It was pointed out that the Cubs are delaying until D Lee gets back...should this be allowed? I think MLB needs to review this policy to shorten the decision time on the appeal process.

What do you guys think?

I think it doesn't really matter how long the Cubs "delay it" (is that even possible). It's not like that team is going anywhere; Derrek Lee isn't going to turn the pitching around.

Herbal
06-14-2006, 02:08 PM
Now, I agree its silly. It allows a player 3-4 weeks to "appeal" and he could "drop" his appeal at any time... thus allowing him to determine when he's going to serve.

I've always disliked the timed dropping of the appeal too. To take it out of the player's hands, once they appeal, they should not be able to drop it to begin serving immediately.

Mickster
06-14-2006, 02:32 PM
Actually I think you might be wrong. If the hearing is Friday that doesn't mean the decision will be reached Friday, what if it takes a couple of days to come to that? They may come to a conclusion Friday but it may take a coupole of days or even a week.

I seriously doubt that they would take up to a week to announce the decision on the appeal. We'll see.

skottyj242
06-14-2006, 02:53 PM
I seriously doubt that they would take up to a week to announce the decision on the appeal. We'll see.

I do too but I also don't think it will be immediate either.

champagne030
06-14-2006, 04:39 PM
I do too but I also don't think it will be immediate either.

According to the Sun-Times, for what that's worth......

"Arbitrator John McHale Jr., an executive vice president for administration for Major League Baseball, will make a decision on Barrett's fate after the hearing, though no timetable has been set for his ruling."....."It could take days, it could be weeks''.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-appeal14.html

TornLabrum
06-14-2006, 04:57 PM
According to the Sun-Times, for what that's worth......

"Arbitrator John McHale Jr., an executive vice president for administration for Major League Baseball, will make a decision on Barrett's fate after the hearing, though no timetable has been set for his ruling."....."It could take days, it could be weeks''.
http://www.suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-appeal14.html
"It could be right after Derrek Lee comes back."