PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here notice this disturbing trend?

white sox bill
06-14-2006, 07:56 AM
I'm talking about the number of close calls and near misses involving pops ups in the infield and fly outs in the outfield. Seems this yr, we have at least 2 fielders converging on fly balls with nobody (or everybody) calling it theirs. Makes for a helluva collision if it comes down to that. We certainly don't need a Carlos Beltran-like accident out there.

1951Campbell
06-14-2006, 08:36 AM
Well, I've noticed Pods has had a bad fortnight or so with the glove, plus Ozuna is quite the adventure in left.

Baby Fisk
06-14-2006, 09:01 AM
Well, I've noticed Pods has had a bad fortnight or so with the glove, plus Ozuna is quite the adventure in left.
Yeah, what's with Pods all of a sudden? He looks very tentative out there.

batmanZoSo
06-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Yeah, what's with Pods all of a sudden? He looks very tentative out there.

Sometimes he can rob a homer and other times he's like a deer in headlights around the wall. He's mediocre, what are you gonna do...

soxfanaticpaulie
06-14-2006, 09:17 AM
I've noticed this trend as well. Seems like they just have poor communication out there.

Might have to do with the fact that we are swaping around the outfielders so much that they can't get that cohesivness. Brian Anderson in CF some days, Mackowiack others..same thing with Ozuna playing out in LF...I think that one has a lot to do with Ozuna doesn't belong out there...

But I feel like I've seen quite a few close calls with BA and Dye / BA and Pods/Ozuna. And a too many with Ozuna/Uribe or BA as well.

We've got to nail down that outfield and have guys play together on a more consistent basis maybe? You learn your teammates that way. What balls you can expect them to get to, and what balls you have to get on your horse and pick them up on...

daveeym
06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
Well one thing that may be playing a role in this is BA being a rookie and trying to take control in center. Earlier in the year there seemed to be a lot of times on balls hit to right center Dye would make a play and BA would be trying to call him off. Dye would make the catch, look at BA with a "that's my ball bitch" look and then mosey in off the field. BA covers a lot of ground out there and while technically correct in trying to call off some of the others, this is the pros and corner outfielders don't like being called off if they're camped or making a relatively easy play on a ball.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Probably pretty common for teams with new Center Fielder(s).