PDA

View Full Version : Question for people in Texas

StockdaleForVeep
06-14-2006, 03:33 AM
General question to anyone who may be livin in or near texas during this visit, since this is the first time the sox have visited Texas since the world series, what has been the overall state\media response to the sox been? Yes theres a difference between ranger and astro ball but still, some people still gotta be bitter there

Britt Burns
06-14-2006, 03:57 AM
I live in Austn, and honestly, there has been almost no extra attention or animosity toward the Sox after the WS win. I know a few 'Stros fans who are still a little bitter, but I think even they realize that it just was the Sox year in 2005. Put another way, I think many in Houston were just happy to have the club in the World Series, and I think it was clear that we came to win.

I'm going to see the game in Arlington tomorrow and Thursday, and other than a few extra boos for AJ, I doubt there will be anything unusal going on.

SoxFanSince67
06-14-2006, 06:01 AM
In the Dallas metroplex, it's all Mavericks currently.

BedfordChisox
06-14-2006, 07:43 AM
I couldn't agree more with SoxFanSince67, but I would add the following: I often wear my Sox hat when I am out and about the Metroplex. More often than not, someone will come up to me and ask "Do you think your Sox will do it again?" or something of a similar nature. I have also found that the fans down here have a lot of questions about Ozzie, and they get a charge out of him. I haven't witnessed a serious baseball "passion" here. Maybe that would change if the Rangers can make the playoffs (I didn't think anyone was really into the Mavs here, either, but now everyone is going nuts over them). I think most baseball fans here have the "Anyone but the Yankees" attitude, and I think they see the White Sox emergence and present status as a refreshing thing. There is also the feeling that if the Sox can rise up, so can the Rangers (eventually...). When the sports media down here has found time or space to discuss something other than the Mavs, everything I've seen has been complimentary about the Sox (i.e. great pitching, impressive offense, etc., etc.). They certainly haven't been making any excuses based on the past two games.

I was fortunate to land some Lexus club level seats for tonight's game, so I will most likely be around some Rangers fans with a little more passion for their team, so I might have different comments tomorrow...lol.

StockdaleForVeep
06-14-2006, 05:17 PM
What is the ratio\bias if any between rangers and astro's fans\franchise? Im just wonderin if the animosity\bitterness i was thinkin of will come since the astros will be playin the sox soon.

Chicken Dinner
06-14-2006, 05:30 PM
In the Dallas metroplex, it's all Mavericks currently.

I heard that Dirk shirts were flying off the shelves.

Saracen
06-14-2006, 05:35 PM
There's no extra attention being paid in Dallas. It's currently all Mavs, but even if not....I don't really don't meet many Astros fans. The two cities just don't share the same fan bases unless it comes to college football.

That said, a lot more people come up to me and talk about the Sox since the Series last year.

miker
06-15-2006, 01:48 PM
That said, a lot more people come up to me and talk about the Sox since the Series last year.
Were any of them a jag starting pitcher named Padilla?

mcfish
06-15-2006, 01:55 PM
What is the ratio\bias if any between rangers and astro's fans\franchise? Im just wonderin if the animosity\bitterness i was thinkin of will come since the astros will be playin the sox soon.Houston and Dallas (Arlington) are 250 miles apart, so I wouldn't really expect all that much animosity in the Dallas area. That is almost three times as long as the distance between Chicago and Milwaukee (about 90 miles).

Britt Burns
06-15-2006, 02:10 PM
I'll be at the game tonight (Thursday) and expect the crowd will be a little more hostile than usual...these are the same people who booed Robin mercilessly 10 years after he charged Nolan Ryan.

StockdaleForVeep
06-15-2006, 02:51 PM
Houston and Dallas (Arlington) are 250 miles apart, so I wouldn't really expect all that much animosity in the Dallas area. That is almost three times as long as the distance between Chicago and Milwaukee (about 90 miles).

Kansas city and st louis are about 250 apart, and the cardinal fans are disgusted with kansas city, to the point where they dont want KC fans in their stadium cuz of "who they are"

gogochisox1917
06-15-2006, 02:58 PM
We live in Houston and I have to say that no one really mentions anything about the Sox anymore. I wear my Sox stuff out and about all the time and the most I ever hear out of anyone is that they say the Sox chances look good again this year.
On another note, we went to Dallas for the games on Monday and Tuesday and honestly there were so many Sox fans there that I think we almost matched the number of Ranger fans:D: It was a great time. Everywhere we went at the ballpark we ran into Sox fans. We make it a point of going up there every year when the Good Guys play the Rangers.
I know I've been off the map at WSI for a long time, but it's nice to be back!!!

Chip Z'nuff
06-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Ever get accused of being Astrobsessed?

AWhiteSoxWinner
06-16-2006, 01:29 AM
Just came back from vacationing in Texas. Saw the first two games of the series in Arlington. They have a great stadium and there were many Sox fans in attendance. It is all about the Mavs right now. The newspapers and radio were very complimentary about the Sox. We were treated very well despite being decked out in White Sox gear. My wife and I saw a big group of fans in Astros jerseys and caps cheering on the Rangers on Monday. I always enjoy seeing the White Sox away and can't wait to see the Sox beat the Cubs June 30th at Wrigley.

StillMissOzzie
06-16-2006, 01:37 AM
Kansas city and st louis are about 250 apart, and the cardinal fans are disgusted with kansas city, to the point where they dont want KC fans in their stadium cuz of "who they are"

If and when the Astros and the Rangers meet in a highly controversial World Series, it may be the same way in TX, but not until then.

SMO
:gulp:

wassagstdu
06-16-2006, 06:36 AM
I'm going to see the game in Arlington tomorrow and Thursday, and other than a few extra boos for AJ, I doubt there will be anything unusal going on.

Famous last words.

BeviBall!
06-16-2006, 07:41 AM
I'll be at the game tonight (Thursday) and expect the crowd will be a little more hostile than usual...these are the same people who booed Robin mercilessly 10 years after he charged Nolan Ryan.

But, gave him a standing "O" after his multi-GS game.