PDA

View Full Version : Ed Farmer: sleepy or

hawkjt
06-14-2006, 02:22 AM
drugged? I know we have discussed ed's laconic style before but tonite when I was listening to the postgame show and the highlights I was struck by how Ed has to be the only play by play guy out there that actually lowers his voice and reduces emotion on the swinging third strike to end a game.

Ed; ''And heres the three and two pitch''- pauses'' swinging, he struck him out'' pause '' sox win, sox win''

It is really could be a strikeout in the bottom of the second from the tone and inflection. I guess I just expect a rising voice on that last pitch and an enthusiasm about the final call like we were spoiled with on Rooneys '' thats a white sox winner!!!!''

Glad I dont have to listen to many games.

white sox bill
06-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Maybe Farm is just burnt out. He's been at it sooo long, nothing phases him. He's becoming robotic. Welcome to day 24,167.....

Deuce
06-14-2006, 07:50 AM
That is the way Farmio has always been. He is good for color, but play-by-play is not his deal. He voice never fluxuates with the plays, leaving you wondering if something happened or not. He isn't built to talk for long periods of time about anything except his own personal exploits (then he drones on and on forever). We are lucky he hasn't passed out during some of the longer innings. :redneck

DumpJerry
06-14-2006, 08:32 AM
We need a new radio team. The perfect team is now in two cities (St. Louis and St. Pete). Sigh.

MeteorsSox4367
06-14-2006, 08:33 AM
Besides Singleton being inexperienced and stopping...when...he...doesn't...need...to..., Farmio's general lack of enthusiasm makes Sox games on the radio a tough listen.

I know this is only June and it's not the World Series, but sometimes Farmer just sounds so bored with everything. I know people can get burned out, but Farmer is the play-by-play radio voice of a major league baseball team and is getting paid quite well. For three or four hours a night, you would hope the man could muster some enthusiasm.

Once again, Dave Wills, please pick up the white courtesy phone. Mr. Wills, to the white courtesy phone. Thank you.

HomeFish
06-14-2006, 09:09 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Singleton has gotten much, much better since the beginning of the season?

McCuddy
06-14-2006, 09:17 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Singleton has gotten much, much better since the beginning of the season?

No, you're not. I can tell that Chris is working to improve.

That said, a season calling minor league ball before debuting in a major-market would have made a WORLD of difference, certainly in perception.

Deuce
06-14-2006, 09:22 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that Singleton has gotten much, much better since the beginning of the season?I feel the same way. With a little more time, he can really come into his own.

By the way, I thought I would list a few of the reasons Farmio gets to me:

1. He talks passionately about everything except the game he is calling.

2. He constantly refers to Chris Singleton as "Chris Singleton." I mean, we know who you are talking to. There are only two of you in the booth, and you are not Chris Singleton. Call him Chris, or you, or pick a nickname for God's sake.

3. Rooney did a much better job. I know this isn't Farmer's fault, but you always get compared to the guy you replace. Ed just doesn't compare. It's worse for me, since I live near St. Louis and get to listen to Rooney call the Cards games. It is a constant reminder of what could be, and what it isn't.

Deuce

SOXPHILE
06-14-2006, 09:53 AM
Agree with alot of posts here. On the other hand, I also sometimes like his dry wit he uses. Last night, I had to be away from the T.V. for a couple of innings, so I listened on the radio. I actually found myself chuckling a bit, as he was once again getting his digs in at Showalter, commenting how he was wearing a regular jacket Monday night, when it was 94 degrees.

http://texas.rangers.mlb.com/tex/photo/ph_coach_mugshot_showalter.jpg
"Burrr....it sure is cold out here. What is it, 95..96 degrees ? Donny, go get my scarf and mittens."

Milw
06-14-2006, 10:13 AM
No, you're not. I can tell that Chris is working to improve.

That said, a season calling minor league ball before debuting in a major-market would have made a WORLD of difference, certainly in perception.

Singleton is twice as good now as he was when the season started. Of course, when you're a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, doubling to a 2 doesn't impress me much. But improvement is always a good thing.

robiwho
06-14-2006, 10:18 AM

He's so much better and he's clearly working hard to improve, so I'm cutting him a lot of slack. Farmer, on the other hand, is driving me nuts. He was perfect doing color with Rooney, but he's just too laid back for a play-by-play guy.

itsnotrequired
06-14-2006, 10:34 AM
He was perfect doing color with Rooney, but he's just too laid back for a play-by-play guy.

No kidding. I listen to the MLB Radio Rewind program everyday. Its a show that recaps the previous day's games and includes radio calls for hot plays (home runs and the like). Farmer is the most laid back by far. I mean it isn't even close. As for other teams, Cleveland's PBP guy gets pretty excited as does St. Louis'.:cool:

The Yankees PBP guy is the worst with the home run calls. "And its an aaaaaa-bomb...for aaaaa-rod" or "a home run for Giambino". Terrible.

buehrle4cy05
06-14-2006, 10:38 AM
The Yankees PBP guy is the worst with the home run calls. "And its an aaaaaa-bomb...for aaaaa-rod" or "a home run for Giambino". Terrible.

It is high! It is hard! It is GAAAAANNNNEEE! Another one for the GIAMBino!

:puking:It could be worse.

Deuce
06-14-2006, 10:41 AM
The Yankees PBP guy is the worst with the home run calls. "And its an aaaaaa-bomb...for aaaaa-rod" or "a home run for Giambino". Terrible.:puking:http://www.danburywesterners.com/images/John%20Sterling.jpg

miker
06-14-2006, 10:45 AM
:puking:http://www.danburywesterners.com/images/John%20Sterling.jpg
Isn't this the same guy that makes every play the "play of the year?"

Oh to be a self-absorbed New Yorker...:rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
06-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Isn't this the same guy that makes every play the "play of the year?"

Oh to be a self-absorbed New Yorker...:rolleyes:

Yeah, a little over the top but at least he has some passion in his voice. Farmer sounds like he just woke up from a little nap.

robiwho
06-14-2006, 11:16 AM
Farmer sounds like he just woke up from a little nap.

I think you've just summed it up perfectly. That's exactly what he sounds like.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Singleton is twice as good now as he was when the season started. Of course, when you're a 1 on a scale of 1 to 10, doubling to a 2 doesn't impress me much. But improvement is always a good thing.

I used to be mean to my woman
I'd beat her and kept her apart from the things that she loved
I know it's mean but I'm changing my scene and I'm doing the best that I can

I got to admit it's getting better
It's getting better all the time
Can't get much worse

-McCarthy/Lenin

At this point I'm trying to get information only. I lose my attention span at time because neither can capture it. I have gameday audio and several teams are as bad or worse. I can't stand the Yankees, Twins or Mariners team.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-14-2006, 11:32 AM
:puking:http://www.danburywesterners.com/images/John%20Sterling.jpg

And his partner lets us know what a dog hears when a dog whistle is blown. They are by far the worst team in MLB (and I've heard at least half online). Steiner made him bareable before but after he left to Los Angeles forgetaboutit.

MadetoOrta
06-14-2006, 12:25 PM
No question, Farmer and Singleton are the worst. Friday night driving up 57 from Champaign there were too many instances where you'd have no idea what just happened. "There's uh.... a line drive uh ... Dye dives for it. Uh ... he may have left his feet early to make the catch uh.... it's a leadoff hit for the Indians." I could go on. I turned it off, got home, dialed up WSI, read the heading on the "Official Game Thread" and knew all was good. They're horrible. You get what you pay for.

A.T. Money
06-14-2006, 02:56 PM
Farmer is a self-absorbed ass. Always has been, always will be. It's bugs me when he says "Yeah" at the end of a sentence like we're doubting his call. For instance, he'll say something like:

:farmer

"The White Sox today have 4 hits, and 2 of them were homers...yeah."

I do like how Singleton is starting to jab at him. It's very funny. Farmer seems to get kinda pissy with Singleton too. Farmer seems to be getting annoyed with Singleton when he starts being a smartass on the air, but that's fine with me. Someone needs to check Farmer because he's just way too into himself.

And remember this....

"Jose Contreras hasn't lost a decision since August 15th...yeah."

:slowswing

"You know what's on August 15th? It's a good day."

"Yeah.....it's a Holy Day of Obligation in the Catholic Church. The Feast of the Assumption."

"And....."

"Your Birthday...."

"That's riiiiiiiight!"

Oh and BTW......

August 15th is A.T. Money's birthday too! :bandance:

MikeLove
06-14-2006, 04:49 PM
i heard a game at the beginning of the season on the radio and singleton was really bad. He is a LOT better now, but to his credit i did hear him earlier in the year when he was doing PBP, i didnt even know he was primarily color until a few weeks later.

I went home after school got out and ended up staying for a few weeks cause i got my wisdom teeth pulled. I ended up actually listening to more games than i watched. Id be playin games or something on the computer while listening to the game cause i dont have a tv in my room. I actually enjoy the sox broadcasts. No, they arent as good as they were last year, but i think a lot of people on the board exaggerate. I love how Farmer is always saying the un PC stuff when it comes to knocking someone down or fighting =P I never found farmio bad in the past either though so take it for what its worth. I like his dry humor cause i have a dry sense of humor too.

I would read all these comments on the board about how all farmer and singleton do is talk about their golf games, and in the 12 or so games i listened to in their entirety from may-first week of june, i didnt hear them talk for more than 1 minute at a time about golf and they definitely didnt bring it up a lot.

So take comments on this board with a grain of salt when it comes to the radio team, don't let them deterr you from listening to the sox on the radio, you might enjoy it.

My cubs fan roomate (who is from iowa and doesnt dislike the sox) actually went as far to say that the sox radio team was "infinitely better" than Hawk and DJ, but he does really hate the hawk =P

Which brings me to a quick tangent. Ive basically watched probably ~130-140 games on tv the last couple of seasons. As much as i absolutely love the hawk, i found myself watching the espn broadcast the other day instead. Not because I found the broadcasters entertaining, but I just wanted a different perspective on things. With Hawk, after a while you can pretty much predict what hes going to say and he is very set in his mindset so you dont really get a whole lot of "new" insight over time. I really wish he could do the postseason for us though, thats when hawk is the best, when he lets all his emotions show and ends up saying stuff he probably shouldn't in the heat of the moment =P Plus in 20 years i still havent gotten sick of his HR call =)

HotelWhiteSox
06-14-2006, 04:54 PM
I doubt Farmer does games drugged, I remember him saying he doesn't even drink, I think that's just Farmer.

Also agree Singleton is getting better. Haven't listened often, but the only problem I had was the pauses, he seemed to talk normally when Farmer is doing PBP and he converses, but then has pauses during PBP (like can't process what he sees and talk about it at the same time)

HomeFish
06-14-2006, 05:50 PM
I doubt Farmer does games drugged, I remember him saying he doesn't even drink, I think that's just Farmer.

On a recent broadcast, Farmer said he was trying to keep to a vegan diet.

Chips
06-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Farmer is boring, mundane, shallow, pedantic, esoteric, useless and a host of other adjectives I am too lazy to list.

CommanderPudge72
06-15-2006, 12:06 PM
I like Farmio when he is not doing game stuff. I think he is his best as a side kick in a show mix on the SCORE, when they do remotes.

Perfect point for his low-key nature: Notice the catch by Anderson during the Indians game....watch it and then listen to the Farmio call.

It's not the same play...not at all.

It's like calling a Roman Candle when you are watching the Hindenburg.

A.T. Money
06-15-2006, 11:49 PM
Farmer doing Vegan? That guy needs a steak in the worst way. He's already looking like he's been to hell and back.

TornLabrum
06-16-2006, 06:47 AM
I had a chance to listen to Farmer and Singleton for a couple of innings last night on the way home from a Kane County game. They've improved quite a bit since the start of the season. Farmer sounded less somnambulant than usual, and Singleton actually sounded pretty good. Of course, I didn't hear him doing any PBP.

southside rocks
06-17-2006, 04:11 PM
Farmer doing Vegan? That guy needs a steak in the worst way. He's already looking like he's been to hell and back.

From the Sox website: "Ed still scouts the Southern California area for the White Sox during the offseason...appeared before the U.S. House of Representatives in 1995 to testify about polycystic kidney disease, a disease that forced him to undergo a kidney transplant in 1991...previously served on the board of directors of the Polycystic Kidney Disease Research Foundation."

I think his diet and not drinking have to do with his kidney disease. He mentions frequently that he has polycystic kidney disease and that his life was saved when his brother gave him one of his kidneys in a transplant operation. Personally, I think it's cool when people get healthy so they can beat a disease and stay alive.

I think Farmer is an acquired taste, and it took me several months but I really like him now. He gets really up when the Sox are winning and really, really down when they're losing; sometimes he's absolutely depressive if the Sox have blown a lead or are way behind late in the game.

Farmer and Singleton are getting more comfortable with each other and starting to have some mildly funny exchanges. I like both of them way more than I like Hawk, who for some reason has always grated on my nerves.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-17-2006, 04:20 PM
No kidding. I listen to the MLB Radio Rewind program everyday. Its a show that recaps the previous day's games and includes radio calls for hot plays (home runs and the like). Farmer is the most laid back by far. I mean it isn't even close. As for other teams, Cleveland's PBP guy gets pretty excited as does St. Louis'.:cool:

I'm kind of glad he's laid back. Some of the other team's announcers are way too loud and annoying for HR or key situations.

But he needs more emotion, agreed.