PDA

View Full Version : Dye resigned by the sox ?

tehwhitesoxrulz
06-14-2006, 01:14 AM
Gammons just said on baseball tonight that Dye was resigned cause kenny likes keeping his good players.Im lost when did this happen cause whitesox.com didnt mention it.:?:

KRS1
06-14-2006, 01:17 AM
Gammons just said on baseball tonight that Dye was resigned cause kenny likes keeping his good players.Im lost when did this happen cause whitesox.com didnt mention it.:?:
Havent heard this anywhere, most likely he's talking about how we'll pick up his option next season. Keeping Dye for $6mil next year is quite a steal, and a great way to provide stability to our squad while the youngsters get more experience. Off topic, LF could be quite a perdicament next year as it will come down to arb. with Scott and promoting Sweeney who looks like he will be ready.

CWSpalehoseCWS
06-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Off topic, LF could be quite a perdicament next year as it will come down to arb. with Scott and promoting Sweeney who looks like he will be ready.

I can't imagine that we won't keep Pods. He's one of the fastest guys on our team and a catalyst for our offense. Unless Owens down in AAA starts hitting better, I can't see Pods leaving.

oeo
06-14-2006, 01:38 AM
When I first read the thread title, I thought he resigned (as in quit), not re-signed. I was wondering what was going on...phew.
Havent heard this anywhere, most likely he's talking about how we'll pick up his option next season. Keeping Dye for $6mil next year is quite a steal, and a great way to provide stability to our squad while the youngsters get more experience. Off topic, LF could be quite a perdicament next year as it will come down to arb. with Scott and promoting Sweeney who looks like he will be ready.
That would mean we would have to pick up a new leadoff hitter, that played somewhere besides the outfield and we're pretty much set at every position, except possibly SS. I don't think Pods is going anywhere soon.

getonbckthr
06-14-2006, 02:08 AM
LF could be quite a perdicament next year as it will come down to arb. with Scott and promoting Sweeney who looks like he will be ready.
If Pods is gonna cost alot maybe we can see what it will cost to get Soriano. True his defense is weak and ugly however it is equilavent to Pods. Combine Pods potential arbitration and Garland's contract (which I assume will be moved in the offseason) that should give us close to what would be needed to sign Soriano.

Milw
06-14-2006, 02:20 AM
If Pods is gonna cost alot maybe we can see what it will cost to get Soriano. True his defense is weak and ugly however it is equilavent to Pods. Combine Pods potential arbitration and Garland's contract (which I assume will be moved in the offseason) that should give us close to what would be needed to sign Soriano.
No thanks. We could do without a crybaby in the clubhouse, I don't care how good his power is. Soriano isn't a natural leadoff hitter, and comparing his defense to Pods is a huge insult. Podsednik isn't gonna win a Gold Glove anytime soon, but he's at worst average in left, which is 10 steps up from Soriano.

QCIASOXFAN
06-14-2006, 02:32 AM
I am pretty sure that Dye will get signed if it is only 6 million. Regarding the whole Pods thing matter, I would really hate to see him go but if we know anything its Kenny's not afraid to get crazy.

Chisox003
06-14-2006, 02:35 AM
The one thing I am absolutely sure of is that Jermaine Dye isn't going anywhere. He seems to really like it here.

The feeling is mutual :cool:

mccoydp
06-14-2006, 07:35 AM
RE-SIGNED.

Not resigned. If he resigned, he would have quit. That was my first thought when I read the thread title.

white sox bill
06-14-2006, 07:47 AM
RE-SIGNED.

Not resigned. If he resigned, he would have quit. That was my first thought when I read the thread title.

Funny how that hyphen can change the context isn't it? Just like futility and fertility.

Tragg
06-14-2006, 08:20 AM
We need a lead off hitter; if not pods, whom?
Sweeney may be ready...but as a pencilled-in lead-off hitter?

soxstarter
06-14-2006, 08:21 AM
RE-SIGNED.

:o: :smile: Big Relief!

1951Campbell
06-14-2006, 08:34 AM

Oy, no to Soriano. Too sulky for this team. And Pods' arbitration won't be too painful for us if he keeps hitting .250-ish.

Tragg
06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Oy, no to Soriano. Too sulky for this team. And Pods' arbitration won't be too painful for us if he keeps hitting .250-ish.
Yea, but that would mean we get a .250 hitter.
His OBP is really what counts and that is around .350 I think...I consider .350 sort of the floor for a productive leadoff hitter, so I hope he picks it up.

batmanZoSo
06-14-2006, 09:17 AM

You really think Sweeney is going to make a case for the starting job right off the bat? Especially that it would mean supplanting probably the most important piece of our lineup? And given our track record of young outfielders? To put it mildly, I doubt it.

batmanZoSo
06-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Yea, but that would mean we get a .250 hitter.
His OBP is really what counts and that is around .350 I think...I consider .350 sort of the floor for a productive leadoff hitter, so I hope he picks it up.

I agree. But factor in the unusually bad start for Pods, which as we know is excusable because he was basically going through ST during the regular season. Once he got settled in he got hot. I think he'll end up with about the same numbers as last year when it's all said and done, maybe a -.10 batting average due to the slow start.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-14-2006, 09:22 AM
I don't think he meant that the Sox re-signed him to an extension. One of the idiots on the show said something about Dye being a free agent and Gammons was actually correct when he said there was something there and that he wasn't completely free.

In fact he is correct, the Sox have a $6 million option on him for 2007.

If the team doesn't pick up the option, they have to buy him out for $1.15 million.

hold2dibber
06-14-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't think he meant that the Sox re-signed him to an extension. One of the idiots on the show said something about Dye being a free agent and Gammons was actually correct when he said there was something there and that he wasn't completely free.

If the team doesn't pick up the option, they have to buy him out for $1.15 million.

Talk about a no-brainer. Barring catastrophic injury, Dye will be back at a bargain price next year. Good stuff.

Is Pods an FA this off season, or just arb eligible?

LauraJ14
06-14-2006, 09:44 AM
Talk about a no-brainer. Barring catastrophic injury, Dye will be back at a bargain price next year. Good stuff.

Is Pods an FA this off season, or just arb eligible?

Pods is arbitration eligible, 2 years in Milw and 2 years with the Sox.
Isn't Pod's salary like 1.5m this season and Soriano's is like 10 million?

Flight #24
06-14-2006, 09:48 AM

Correct, barring something catastrophic, Jermaine's going to be a guy who'd command maybe $8-10M on a 2-3yr deal after the year he's having. And the Sox will have him under control for effectively $5M. And he's great in the clubhouse (supposedly). He ain't going anywhere.

Sox OF will be either Pods-Anderson-Dye or Owens-Anderson-Dye next year. Then if Jermaine keeps up his performance, the decision will be to either resign him and trade Sweeney or let him go and use the $$$ elsewhere. Or having moved Fields to RF, they could let him be Jermaine's replacement.

ND_Sox_Fan
06-14-2006, 10:34 AM
Isn't Pod's salary like 1.5m this season and Soriano's is like 10 million?

According to SI, Pod's salary is $2.125 m this season and Soriano's is $10 m on the dot.

mcfish
06-14-2006, 10:36 AM
Isn't Pod's salary like 1.5m this season and Soriano's is like 10 million?I find it hard to believe Soriano will be playing anywhere but 2B next year, considering his Spring Training hissy fits, so I don't think you can even consider him as a replacement in LF. Also, there's no reason not to keep Pods at this point. Arbitration is not going to push his salary to an unreasonable level.

itsnotrequired
06-14-2006, 10:38 AM
According to SI, Pod's salary is $2.125 m this season and Soriano's is $10 m on the dot.

I thought Pods salary was only $1.9 million this year. I know he has some incentives in his contract so maybe those bring it up to a possible $2.125 million.

:dunno:

caulfield12
06-14-2006, 10:40 AM
It's a big stretch to think Fields could play RF.

While he was a QB at OSU, he never had a very strong arm...it was just about average. Most of his throws were lobbed down the field and great plays were made by their oversized and athletic wideouts (Rashaun Woods, etc.)

Borchard, to me, has much a stronger arm. Fields, at 3B, is MLB average or a notch below.

Hendu
06-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I saw this on Baseball Tonight last night as well (the one that was on after the Sox game), and I think Gammons was just unprepared for the question. Ravetch asked him what JD's contract situation was, and Gammons said "They signed him to an extension." He didn't look too sure of himself, but who's going to question Mr Baseball?

ND_Sox_Fan
06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
I thought Pods salary was only $1.9 million this year. I know he has some incentives in his contract so maybe those bring it up to a possible $2.125 million.

:dunno:

According to SI, it is $2.125 - all of the articles that I just read from the time he signed that contract with the Brewers say $1.9 plus incentives. Maybe $2.125 is the max.

This guy also says it is $1.9 m; I found his site to be rather interesting: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

itsnotrequired
06-14-2006, 10:51 AM
This guy also says it is $1.9 m; I found his site to be rather interesting: http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/chicago-white-sox.html

That's the site I got the info from. Hardball Dollars says the sme thing.

http://russells.freeshell.org/ddollars/team.php?team=whitesox&name=White%20Sox

USA Today has $2.075 million.

http://asp.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/salaries/playerdetail.aspx?lname=P&player=2920

skottyj242
06-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Since this had turned into a possible FA thread, can't Joe walk at the end of the year? I thought last off-season him and Boras signed just a one year deal to avoid arbitration. Also what's the status of the Gooch?

itsnotrequired
06-14-2006, 11:01 AM
Since this had turned into a possible FA thread, can't Joe walk at the end of the year? I thought last off-season him and Boras signed just a one year deal to avoid arbitration. Also what's the status of the Gooch?

Crede is not eligible for free agency next season. Get ready for arbitration or a contract extension (or a trade).

Iguchi has a Club option for 2007 ($3.25 million).

Flight #24
06-14-2006, 11:19 AM
I find it hard to believe Soriano will be playing anywhere but 2B next year, considering his Spring Training hissy fits, so I don't think you can even consider him as a replacement in LF. Also, there's no reason not to keep Pods at this point. Arbitration is not going to push his salary to an unreasonable level.

Soriano's fit was because compared to 2Bs, he's got a hall of fame bat. Compared to OFs, before the season that was in doubt. If he maintains the pace he's been at so far offensively, he'll get his $$$ even if he stays in the OF. That's what the fit was about.

Pods will get a decent raise, but to maybe $5M or so. And I wouldn't be surprised if they sign a deal to keep him here at a reasonable rate, he seems like he'd like to stay.

caulfield12
06-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Pods might even come in at $3.5 or $4 million. Maybe Lisa can chip in a little with a modeling website with subscribers, lol.

Soriano's a stretch with our budget being what it is....we would have to deal Garcia or Garland to open up that slot for McCarthy, and probably play a lower-priced SS, 2B, or Anderson in CF. Luckily, we have a very cheap closer, a luxury most teams don't have...with the exception of Street, Papelbon, Ray, Zumaya (predicted) and a couple of others.

Uribe and Iguchi don't look to being going anywhere soon, and Valido is at least a year away, if not 2.

Sargeant79
06-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Soriano's reluctance to play the outfield probably means that he wouldn't sign anywhere as a free agent unless he has assurances that he's coming in as a second-baseman.

Also, even if he were willing to do it, I wouldn't want him here as a LF. On a good day, his outfield defense = Pablo Ozuna's outfield defense.

miker
06-14-2006, 12:25 PM
Also, even if (Soriano) were willing to do it, I wouldn't want him here as a LF. On a good day, his outfield defense = Pablo Ozuna's outfield defense.
How dare you insult Pablo like that!

Randar68
06-14-2006, 12:41 PM

Or using Josh Fields in LF... who is probably more ready than Sweeney?

Lip Man 1
06-14-2006, 12:44 PM
The talk is Ichiro wants out of Seattle... just something to keep in mind.

Lip

Baby Fisk
06-14-2006, 12:47 PM
The talk is Ichiro wants out of Seattle... just something to keep in mind.

Lip
There were stories in the Seattle media late last season that Ichiro was disappointed in some of his teammates' lack of drive/commitment. If that's what he's looking for, the south side right now is a perfect fit.

MadetoOrta
06-14-2006, 01:31 PM
Ichiro in the #2 slot and Scott Shields setting up Jenks would make this team unbeatable for 3 years. That I would do.

caulfield12
06-14-2006, 01:43 PM
With a theoretical Ichiro acquisition...

You could move Dye over to LF, strengthening that position, especially from an arm perspective. The problem is he has never played there, or maybe only a couple of games (although a better idea than SS or 1B for him!) We would still have Owens and Sweeney in the minors, although Sweeney would have to wait until at least 2008 to play. Pods would obviously be out of the picture, but I am not sure if the M´s would want him back again in the $3-6 million range. With Ichiro, Anderson and Dye, you would have arguably the best outfield in baseball, especially throwing arms.

We would undoubtedly have to deal Fields and-or McCarthy to get him. Of course, everyone wants to give them Garcia or Garland, but it doesn´t work that way in the real world.

Maybe, if KW was really lucky, Fields, Garland (due to his relatively young age) and another minor league pitcher and we could keep McCarthy. They might also go after Cotts because of salary, with the idea of converting him back to a starter.

The Angels really need a 1B, but the position looks to be Morales´ to lose. They´re going to need a heckuva lot more than Gload or Rogowski. The Rangers can never hold up for an entire season (not with that starting pitching after Millwood) and the Angels, while playing like crap, are not going to give up their most versatile reliever and White Flag their season. Though Escobar would be a a dream too, can you imagine that situation getting patched up to allow a trade here? Well, they´re both Venezuelans, and Magglio and OG worked things out, so anything is possible.

But it´s nice to dream....

Ichiro
Iguchi (Japanese tag-team)
Thome
Konerko
Dye
Crede-Fields
AJ (or flip flop)

It doesn´t get much better than that offensively.

Pablo Ozuna is the Sox version of Lasting Milledge. That guy is fun to watch.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-14-2006, 01:53 PM
I can't imagine that we won't keep Pods. He's one of the fastest guys on our team and a catalyst for our offense. Unless Owens down in AAA starts hitting better, I can't see Pods leaving.

I love watching Pods play, I bought his jersey. But I think it makes a lot of sense to see Kenny try to replace him soon. He is older than most think, and speed guys tend to DECLINE LIKE A ROCK once they start downhill. They also lose their effectiveness at an earlier age. You run the risk of a big decline just when he is making serious cash. Ricky Henderson's who keep their speed are very few and far between. Kenny will continue to invest in pitching as well when he has to choose. Kenny may have to make a Crede vs Pods budget decision as well. That answer is Crede, back and all.

mcfish
06-14-2006, 02:23 PM
I love watching Pods play, I bought his jersey. But I think it makes a lot of sense to see Kenny try to replace him soon. He is older than most think, and speed guys tend to DECLINE LIKE A ROCK once they start downhill. They also lose their effectiveness at an earlier age. You run the risk of a big decline just when he is making serious cash. Ricky Henderson's who keep their speed are very few and far between. Kenny will continue to invest in pitching as well when he has to choose. Kenny may have to make a Crede vs Pods budget decision as well. That answer is Crede, back and all.Pods may be older than we think, but he still has 2 (I think) years of arbitration left. So we have until like 2009 until we really have to worry about signing him to any sort of long term deal.

caulfield12
06-14-2006, 02:24 PM
Raines...Marquise Grissom...Lofton....Juan Pierre....Vince Coleman...Lance Johnson

They all had pretty precipitous drops in their ¨speed game¨ when they reached their early to mid 30´s. Maybe it is a little early to declare Pierre done, but this would be two off years in a row for him. That would probably be something of a concern with Ichiro, Furcal, Damon, etc.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2006, 03:13 PM
Good grief, Ichiro would be a pipedream acquisition. Of course Pods would be expendable (maybe keep him around as a fourth OF and pinch runner). Ichiro and Iguchi would be the most potent 1-2 in all of baseball. Both have tremendous bat control. Ichiro's .380 career OBP is 35 points better than Pods' .345 career OBP.

The defense would be spectacular. Dye, already a great defensive RF, easily would be the best defensive LF in the game. We already know that Ichiro is a tremendous defender, and Anderson also is a Gold Glove caliber defender.

This also would make the White Sox the #1 team in Japan, hands down.