PDA

View Full Version : *OFFICIAL* 6/13/06 Another Outstanding Jon Garland Outing Post Game Thread

SouthSide_HitMen
06-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Outstanding. No homers allowed. No dark clouds. I expect a 13 post thread for this one. :redneck

Nice to see Paul take one deep and the Sox take control of the game. What was even more encouraging was Cotts holding the Rangers to one run after our 4 spot.

McCarthy & Jenks also pitched well.

Keep the line moving. I loved the pitching matchups this series and we may hand Texas a team "golden sombrero" on Thursday. :cool:

itsnotrequired
06-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Garland looked good, Cotts looked good, McCarthy looked good, Jenks looked good.

Um, I like this team...

LuvSox
06-13-2006, 10:58 PM
Sox win. Dig it. :bandance:

eurotrash35
06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
pods 0-5. get on the phone, Kenny.

peelwonder
06-13-2006, 10:59 PM
Bullpen looks good this past week.

Kinda reminds me of the 2005 squad....

MarySwiss
06-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Outstanding. No homers. No dark clouds. I expect a 13 post thread for this one. :redneck
Far be it for me to shoot you down! :cool:

hi im skot
06-13-2006, 11:01 PM
pods 0-5. get on the phone, Kenny.

Homefish?

:winner

JB98
06-13-2006, 11:02 PM
A lot of credit goes to Neal Cotts. Second-and-third, one out in bottom of the sixth. Cotts strikes out Teixeira and gets Blalock. That was the game right there.

A. Cavatica
06-13-2006, 11:03 PM
Trying to find the dark cloud in tonight's easy win:

I wish Uribe and BA had better nights. :?:

Kogs35
06-13-2006, 11:05 PM
great game all around. go get em tomorow night javy :bandance: :bandance: :bandance: :gulp:

itsnotrequired

BA was hitting the ball hard. He's coming around...

sox1970

It's amazing how the starters can help the bullpen out.

hi im skot
06-13-2006, 11:06 PM

Sure, Uribe, BA, and Pods could have had better nights. But you can't expect your entire lineup to be clicking on all cylinders. That's why you've gotta love this team...Gooch and Thome get on base, and Konerko brings everybody home.

We get the big hit, and we get the win.

And a big YEEESSS to Cotts and McCarthy tonight!
This one's for you, fellas!
:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
06-13-2006, 11:06 PM
McCarthy has been looking GREAT a lot lately. Whatever he's doing different in warm-ups, he should continue doing.

Tadahito looked more patient up there today than normal for this year, and it paid off. It seems that one of our three in our three-headded monster always kills the opposition nearly every game...This time, it was Konerko's turn, and I'd like to know how far that one went! Hats off to him for hitting his 17th home run and proving more and more why we have the best 3-headded monster in the game.

Finally, BIG props to Garland for not giving up a big inning tonight. So far, our guys have handcuffed and locked up the Rangers. Let's keep it going tomorrow!

DickAllen72
06-13-2006, 11:07 PM
Outstanding. No homers allowed. No dark clouds. I expect a 13 post thread for this one. :redneck

Nice to see Paul take one deep and the Sox take control of the game. What was even more encouraging was Cotts holding the Rangers to one run after our 4 spot.

McCarthy & Jenks also pitched well.

Keep the line moving. I loved the pitching matchups this series and we may hand Texas a team "golden sombrero" on Thursday. :cool:

Yep, Garland pitched extremely well. He should have had a shutout tonight but again the defense let him down.

Nice job by Cotts, McCarthy & Jenks against a very good hitting lineup.

Sox just need to tighten up that defense and need Podsednik to step it up.

Let's hope Javy has his good stuff tomorrow night!

whitesoxfan
Bullpen was fantastic tonight. Cotts, Brandon, and Jenks all did a good job. Garland also had a good job tonight. The final in this one could have easily been 5-0 instead of 5-2. A couple of bad defensive plays in the OF led to both of those runs. Other than that, a great night all-around from our Sox. If Garland continues to pitch like the way he did tonight, we'll be alright :smile:

paciorek1983
Sure, Uribe, BA, and Pods could have had better nights. But you can't expect your entire lineup to be clicking on all cylinders. That's why you've gotta love this team...Gooch and Thome get on base, and Konerko brings everybody home.

We get the big hit, and we get the win.

And a big YEEESSS to Cotts and McCarthy tonight!
This one's for you, fellas!
:gulp:

yep!:D:

hi im skot
06-13-2006, 11:08 PM
Finally, BIG props to Garland for not giving up a big inning tonight. So far, our guys have handcuffed and locked up the Rangers. Let's keep it going tomorrow!

:supernana::thumbsup::moonwalk:

A. Cavatica
06-13-2006, 11:08 PM
And thank you Ozzie for pulling Jon when you did...

oeo
06-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Can all the Garland hating stop now? Yeah, this guy is TERRIBLE, trade him now Kenny. :rolleyes:

itsnotrequired
06-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah, this guy is TERRIBLE, trade him now Kenny. :rolleyes:

Is Rowand available?

:redneck

hi im skot
06-13-2006, 11:12 PM
Can all the Garland hating stop now? Yeah, this guy is TERRIBLE, trade him now Kenny. :rolleyes:

:KW
"Well, since Garland doesn't have a no trade clause...let's bring in Rowand!"

hi im skot
06-13-2006, 11:13 PM
Is Rowand available?

Beat me to it!

chisoxfanatic
06-13-2006, 11:16 PM
Is Rowand available?

I have no idea; but, I think a certain broadcaster will come out of retirement to help out the ball club, with McCarthy taking to the roster. Hawk would just need to find a replacement in the booth! :tongue:

Hendu
06-13-2006, 11:20 PM
Good call by Ozzie to have the short hook with Garland at the start of a potentially big inning, and great job by the pen.

Another decent game by BA, drawing a walk in a good at-bat and hitting a few balls fairly hard.

Tragg
06-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Bullpen was fantastic tonight. Cotts, Brandon, and Jenks all did a good job. Yes it was. Those are our big 3 right now, and it's nice to see them in lock-down form. Looking at the Box, Cotts did a terrific job pitching out of a jam.

sullythered
06-13-2006, 11:21 PM
Nice job Jon! And Anderson has looked like a different hitter the last week or so. If that's the guy he is, we'll be just fine at center.

Frankfan4life
06-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I'm not going to complain. It's a win and wins always make me happy! I really liked what the bp did today. No runs, no walks, only one hit, and 4 "K's"! OUTSTANDING!

Chips
06-13-2006, 11:39 PM
I didn't see any of the damn game. I was at a stupid graduation.

:winner

I got the PTC. :D:

I want Mags back
06-13-2006, 11:42 PM
Nice to see Jon throwing well for once.

SOX WIN WOO-HOO

Fred Manrique
06-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Good call by Ozzie to have the short hook with Garland at the start of a potentially big inning, and great job by the pen.

I agree that Ozzie got Jon out at the right time. It's great to get him a quality start and hopefully the confidence continues to grow.

Get 'em Javy!!!

ChiSoxFan7
06-13-2006, 11:45 PM
Nice job Jon! And Anderson has looked like a different hitter the last week or so. If that's the guy he is, we'll be just fine at center.

PRETTY PRETTY PLEASE BE TRUE! :praying:

Hendu
06-14-2006, 12:10 AM
Anyone else switch over to BBTN after the game? Gammons was doing a segment that had to do with 'post cards' where he basically just talked about a few players he'd seen lately. One on was JD, about how much better his knee feels. After the segment Ravetch asked Gammons about JD's contract situation. Peter, looking a little flustered, said that Kenny signed him to an extension. Did I miss sthg, because I thought we just had an option on him for 2007?:?:

Corlose 15
06-14-2006, 12:28 AM
Um, tonight wasn't an outstanding outing from Jon. He went 5.1 IP gave up 2 runs and had to be pulled because Ozzie wanted him to leave on a positive. I'll take it for sure but some of you are talking like Garland definitively proved that he was an outstanding pitcher tonight. He didn't.

Great win and hopefully Jon builds on this and strings some quality starts together. Cotts was huge and McCarthy and Jenks both looked good. :bandance:

DaleJRFan
06-14-2006, 12:30 AM
Anyone else switch over to BBTN after the game? Gammons was doing a segment that had to do with 'post cards' where he basically just talked about a few players he'd seen lately. One on was JD, about how much better his knee feels. After the segment Ravetch asked Gammons about JD's contract situation. Peter, looking a little flustered, said that Kenny signed him to an extension. Did I miss sthg, because I thought we just had an option on him for 2007?:?:

JD signed a 2-year deal with a team option for 07 (5 million, I think...).

Jjav829
06-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Allow me to join the others giving Ozzie credit for the quick hook after JD's misplay. That's exactly the type of situation where Garland crumbles and gives up a 3-run homer on the next pitch. Ozzie recognized it and got Garland out of there on a high note. Great managing.

TornLabrum
06-14-2006, 12:36 AM
Um, tonight wasn't an outstanding outing from Jon. He went 5.1 IP gave up 2 runs and had to be pulled because Ozzie wanted him to leave on a positive. I'll take it for sure but some of you are talking like Garland definitively proved that he was an outstanding pitcher tonight. He didn't.

Did you watch the game? The first "earned" run resulted from a "triple" that should have been ruled an error on Podsednik. The second resulted from a double that was actually badly misplayed by Dye. Ozzie pulled him after that second misplay.

Garland pitched a good game without his best stuff.

Corlose 15
06-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Did you watch the game? The first "earned" run resulted from a "triple" that should have been ruled an error on Podsednik. The second resulted from a double that was actually badly misplayed by Dye. Ozzie pulled him after that second misplay.

Yeah I watched it and I was pretty much pleased with Garland tonight. But he wasn't outstanding.

Domeshot17
06-14-2006, 12:42 AM
Im kind of with the crowd on Garland pitched a good, solid, but not great game. Ozzie managed him well. and cotts saved his good outing from becoming a bad one. He did a pretty good job of pitching around a few blunders, but IIRC 5.1 IP doesnt qualify for a quality start.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction though as he did prettymuch stop a VERY GOOD LINEUP.

Bottom line, its a win, and thats all that matters.

TheKittle
06-14-2006, 12:50 AM
Im kind of with the crowd on Garland pitched a good, solid, but not great game. Ozzie managed him well. and cotts saved his good outing from becoming a bad one. He did a pretty good job of pitching around a few blunders, but IIRC 5.1 IP doesnt qualify for a quality start.

Hopefully this is a step in the right direction though as he did prettymuch stop a VERY GOOD LINEUP.

Bottom line, its a win, and thats all that matters.

Hey the way Garland has been pitching, almost anything positive from an outing is outstanding. Tonight was a very good start. Hopefully he can build on this performance.

lostletters
06-14-2006, 12:54 AM

I am liking the makeup of the bullpen. The recent infusion of young blood has definately helped out the bullpen and they are finally close to thier 2005 form.

BV2005
06-14-2006, 12:54 AM
this win should give garland a boost of confidence. a few performances like that and he'll be back to his early 2005 form after the all star break.

peeonwrigley
06-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Win one of the next 2 to take the series, then get fat on the NL. Sounds like a plan to me.

Konerko... yes.

rookie
06-14-2006, 01:15 AM
Bullpen was awesome tonight. I was especially impressed with McCarthy.:smile:

Deebs14
06-14-2006, 01:37 AM
Win one of the next 2 to take the series, then get fat on the Minors. Sounds like a plan to me.

Konerko... yes.

Fixed it for ya. :wink:

fuzzy_patters
06-14-2006, 01:44 AM
Negatives- Garland typically has had trouble with big innings. They usually start with a bad break that goes against him such as poor defense, a bad umpire call, or fluke hits. Then, Garland compounds the problem by leaving pitches up and getting hit hard. This is probably due to frustration and a lack of confidence in his own ability to pitch through jams.

Ozzie may have saved Garland from himself tonight, and Ozzie's actions showed that he has little confidence in Garland right now. Ozzie typically lets his pitchers try to work through jams, and he generally tries to get seven innings out of them. However, once the breaks started going against Garland, Ozzie yanked him before he could implode. That is smart managing by Ozzie, but it does not mean that Garland was "outstanding." The fact that Ozzie only let him throw 91 pitches over 5.1 innings shows what Ozzie thought of his performance.

Positives- While Jon Garland was not outstanding, the bullpen most certainly was. Cotts and McCarthy were dominating. Jenks was not as super-human as usual. He was merely a normal, human closer. He picked up the save and got the job done. I could not be more pleased with the bullpen.

Saving the best for last, how about Brian Anderson? While he was 0 for 4, this was actually a lot better than most of his 1 for 4 games have been. A lot of his hits have been weakly hit groundballs and bloop fly balls. Tonight, he put a good swing on the ball everytime he came up, and he looked confident up there. The lunging stuff from earlier in the season seems to be gone. I think he is going to be a very good centerfielder from here on out. :)

Soxfest
06-14-2006, 02:04 AM
We will see if this starts something for JG.

TheOldRoman
06-14-2006, 02:09 AM

You are half right about the second run. Runners were on first and third with one out when the ball was hit to Dye. The runner at third would have tagged up and scored regardless. It could have easily cost the Sox big time, but no runs score resulting from Dye's misplay.

hawkjt
06-14-2006, 03:04 AM
anyone that actually watched that game knows that garland had a quality outing, I dont care if it was not 6 innings . It most certainly would have been a quality outing if JD catches that ball. With two out they would have left him in. And that first run- pods catches that ball and then a ground out and inning over. There was nothing jon could have done there.

He might not have had his best stuff but he was throwing strikes and getting ground balls. even that walk that ended up scoring was a battle. This is a good hitting team here and he got the first 15 of 18 batters and should have been 15 of 17.

With the heat of texas and a rested bullpen it made sense to go get him but I am very encouraged by how he threw. He is 5-3 and some are talking moving him out of the rotation? give me a break.And he is in the top 20 in innings pitched so it is not like he doesnt give you innings.

Grzegorz
06-14-2006, 05:47 AM
I liked Garland's outing; I think he pitched well. Usually Texas hammers him down in Arlington.

Guillen recognized that Garland was in trouble and promptly pulled him. Excellent idea, even better considering how Cotts ended the inning. The pen pitched great, Garland gave us a quality outing, and Paulie supplied the power.

I want nothing less than a sweep at this point; and this team is poised to do it.

Garland will be fine, hopefully he's part of this team in the future.

Minnie Me
06-14-2006, 08:42 AM
Negatives- Garland typically has had trouble with big innings. They usually start with a bad break that goes against him such as poor defense, a bad umpire call, or fluke hits. Then, Garland compounds the problem by leaving pitches up and getting hit hard. This is probably due to frustration and a lack of confidence in his own ability to pitch through jams.

Ozzie may have saved Garland from himself tonight, and Ozzie's actions showed that he has little confidence in Garland right now. Ozzie typically lets his pitchers try to work through jams, and he generally tries to get seven innings out of them. However, once the breaks started going against Garland, Ozzie yanked him before he could implode. That is smart managing by Ozzie, but it does not mean that Garland was "outstanding." The fact that Ozzie only let him throw 91 pitches over 5.1 innings shows what Ozzie thought of his performance.

Positives- While Jon Garland was not outstanding, the bullpen most certainly was. Cotts and McCarthy were dominating. Jenks was not as super-human as usual. He was merely a normal, human closer. He picked up the save and got the job done. I could not be more pleased with the bullpen.

Saving the best for last, how about Brian Anderson? While he was 0 for 4, this was actually a lot better than most of his 1 for 4 games have been. A lot of his hits have been weakly hit groundballs and bloop fly balls. Tonight, he put a good swing on the ball everytime he came up, and he looked confident up there. The lunging stuff from earlier in the season seems to be gone. I think he is going to be a very good centerfielder from here on out. :)

Jon had several breaks go against him including A) A botched double play by Uribe B) A botched fly to Pods, C) A botched fly to Dye
Three poor defensive plays in five innings is alot for ANY pitcher to pitch around and Jon hung in there. Pretty impressive for our # 5 guy. What other team has a #4 or #5 guy that can pitch around this kind of defensive miscues?

Baby Fisk
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Let me be the skunk at this garden party and do some more tooth-gnashing over Windmill Joey Cora. He has had a BRUTAL week coaching third. *** is he doing holding Thome, then suddenly sending Thome from third on that ball that was bobbled in LF early in the game? Once again, another baserunner would have been dead at the plate if he followed Cora's direction. Thome actually paused and looked back to see the action and judge for himself whether to go home or not. That was a troubling sign. Could the nonstop Windmill routine be starting to sow doubt in baserunners' minds?

Rant over. Thanks and GO SOX.

Minnie Me
06-14-2006, 09:19 AM
Let me be the skunk at this garden party and do some more tooth-gnashing over Windmill Joey Cora. He has had a BRUTAL week coaching third. *** is he doing holding Thome, then suddenly sending Thome from third on that ball that was bobbled in LF early in the game? Once again, another baserunner would have been dead at the plate if he followed Cora's direction. Thome actually paused and looked back to see the action and judge for himself whether to go home or not. That was a troubling sign. Could the nonstop Windmill routine be starting to sow doubt in baserunners' minds?

Just keep sending them Joey.

Here is my FUN CANADIAN FACT
Battle of the Windmill National Historic Site of Canada

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/images/maps/img_map_can_on.gifhttp://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/windmill/images/index.jpg

During a four-day period in November, 1838 British troops and local militia defeated an invasion force of 300 American " Hunters " and Canadian rebels. The Battle of the Windmill victory prevented the invasion force from capturing Fort Wellington, Ontario, and cutting the St. Lawrence communications link, which would have left Upper Canada open to invasion and prevented Joey Cora from sending Jim Thome home.

MsSoxVixen22
06-14-2006, 09:36 AM
Jon gave a decent start last nite. I'm sure his next start will be even better. Hey at least he's getting better and not worse! Nice 3-run homer by Paulie! Bullpen was awesome. Neal did great as did Jenks and BMac. Go get 'em tonite Javy! :)

SCarolina_Ron
06-14-2006, 10:13 AM

It's called "pressure". It's how games are won.

Hitmen77
06-14-2006, 10:28 AM
You are half right about the second run. Runners were on first and third with one out when the ball was hit to Dye. The runner at third would have tagged up and scored regardless. It could have easily cost the Sox big time, but no runs score resulting from Dye's misplay.

But without Pods' and Dye's miscues, it would have been 5-1 at that point, runner on 1st and 2 outs. A far cry from the situation we had with runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and the tying run at the plate. Ozzie was right to pull Garland at that point, but without the defensive miscues, Jon would have had a much better chance to go deeper into the game.

Baby Fisk
06-14-2006, 10:32 AM
It's called "pressure". It's how games are won.
It's also how games are not won. Case in point was Cora snuffing out a big rally vs. Detroit last Thursday by sending Dye from third. Dye was out by a mile and everyone could see it coming. This put the pressure off of Kenny Rogers and he went on to shut down the Sox. There's a difference between smart, aggressive baserunning and running for the sake of running. That is the trend Cora has shown this week.

TheOldRoman
06-14-2006, 10:43 AM
But without Pods' and Dye's miscues, it would have been 5-1 at that point, runner on 1st and 2 outs. A far cry from the situation we had with runners at 2nd and 3rd with 1 out and the tying run at the plate. Ozzie was right to pull Garland at that point, but without the defensive miscues, Jon would have had a much better chance to go deeper into the game.
I know. I just said that the last run did not score because of Dye's misplay.

itsnotrequired
06-14-2006, 10:49 AM
Just keep sending them Joey.

Here is my FUN CANADIAN FACT
Battle of the Windmill National Historic Site of Canada

http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/images/maps/img_map_can_on.gifhttp://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/on/windmill/images/index.jpg

During a four-day period in November, 1838 British troops and local militia defeated an invasion force of 300 American " Hunters " and Canadian rebels. The Battle of the Windmill victory prevented the invasion force from capturing Fort Wellington, Ontario, and cutting the St. Lawrence communications link, which would have left Upper Canada open to invasion and prevented Joey Cora from sending Jim Thome home.

:roflmao:

Oh, Minnie Me, how I hope you never change...

wdelaney72
06-14-2006, 10:55 AM
It never fails. Big Jon steps up when I start referring to him as "Judy". Great outing and another big win.:supernana:

Minnie Me
06-14-2006, 11:04 AM
:roflmao:

Oh, Minnie Me, how I hope you never change...

This is My Oath:

I Minnie Me will always be loyal to the White Sox in a special place in my heart hidden from no one but obvious only to myself.

TornLabrum
06-14-2006, 11:31 AM
It never fails. Big Jon steps up when I start referring to him as "Judy". Great outing and another big win.:supernana:

I certainly hope you read the stuck thread on this topic.

BadgerChisox
06-14-2006, 11:44 AM
Nice to see the middle relief do good. And Garland too