PDA

View Full Version : Diamondbacks designate Russ Ortiz for assignment

munchman33
06-13-2006, 10:33 PM
It was a stupid signing anyway. (http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20060613&content_id=1502965&vkey=pr_ari&fext=.jsp&c_id=ari)

Banix12
06-13-2006, 11:34 PM
Nice, they still owe him $16 million for the next two years + whatever they still owe him for this year. I think his contract also stipulated that they pay him part of his signing bonus at the start of each season.

That's probably about $20 million down the tubes.

The Dude
06-14-2006, 12:31 AM
http://www.homevideos.com/freezeframes1203/dumb53.jpeg
"Pick him up!"

DaleJRFan
06-14-2006, 12:32 AM
Nice, they still owe him $16 million for the next two years + whatever they still owe him for this year. I think his contract also stipulated that they pay him part of his signing bonus at the start of each season.

That's probably about $20 million down the tubes.

According to ESPN.com, they owe him $22 mil.

Banix12
06-14-2006, 12:38 AM
According to ESPN.com, they owe him $22 mil.

If only someone would pay me not to play baseball for them. That would be sweet.

HomeFish
06-14-2006, 01:04 AM
I really, really wanted him on the Sox a few years ago. Nice to see that didn't happen.

Tragg
06-14-2006, 08:25 AM
I really, really wanted him on the Sox a few years ago. Nice to see that didn't happen.

I know what you mean...I wanted us to sign Clement a year and a half ago...well, Clement did springboard us into the playoffs in a nice fashion last year.

soxfan13
06-14-2006, 10:18 AM
why not get the Dbacks to pay the majority of his ridiculous contract and see what Doctor Don Cooper can do with him and throw him in the bullpen. The bullpen is one of the Sox most glaring needs.

Chicken Dinner
06-14-2006, 11:20 AM
why not get the Dbacks to pay the majority of his ridiculous contract and see what Doctor Don Cooper can do with him and throw him in the bullpen. The bullpen is one of the Sox most glaring needs.

Please NO!!! I wish I was unemployed making 22 million over the next 2.5 years.

infohawk
06-14-2006, 11:26 AM
why not get the Dbacks to pay the majority of his ridiculous contract and see what Doctor Don Cooper can do with him and throw him in the bullpen. The bullpen is one of the Sox most glaring needs. I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know what the actual scenario would be. If the Sox would have to pay him alot of money, then no way would I take the chance. If a guy like that could be obtained on the cheap, then why not? I just don't know what happens with a player's contract when the player is designated for assignment and then traded. I assume a team wanting the player would have to take over the full contract, but I'm not sure.

Frater Perdurabo
06-14-2006, 11:47 AM
Once he clears waivers, doesn't the money from the Diamondbacks have to be paid, period, no matter if he signs with someone else or not? Could another team then sign him for the MLB minimum?

wdelaney72
06-14-2006, 11:49 AM
I really, really wanted him on the Sox a few years ago. Nice to see that didn't happen. That's how I felt about Matt "I'm great in the first half only" Clement.

That's why Kenny Williams runs this team, and not us.

soxinem1
06-14-2006, 11:50 AM
I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know what the actual scenario would be. If the Sox would have to pay him alot of money, then no way would I take the chance. If a guy like that could be obtained on the cheap, then why not? I just don't know what happens with a player's contract when the player is designated for assignment and then traded. I assume a team wanting the player would have to take over the full contract, but I'm not sure.

When a player is designated, he has to be either traded, sent to the minors, or released. The are removed from the 40 man roster, and sort of put in limbo.

In this instance, he could refuse the trip to the minors because of his service time and become a free agent. He could be clamed by someone dumb enough (Royals, Yankees?) and they would be on the hook for his salary, or traded for a minimal-type player, though these kinds of trades have a trend to backfire somewhere down the road.

The team that should try to get him after waivers expire is the Orioles, as Leo Mazzone had him before. I suppose the Sox could use him in the pen, where he has pitched before, but struggling teams usually take on major reclamation projects, not defending champs.

I will say that when he pitched against us last year, his fastball was 82-84 and he looks really out of shape.

The guy we should chase if he's available for the pen is Roberto Hernandez.

Chez
06-14-2006, 11:50 AM
Once he clears waivers, doesn't the money from the Diamondbacks have to be paid, period, no matter if he signs with someone else or not? Could another team then sign him for the MLB minimum?

Yep. MLB minimum with the D-backs paying the balance.

Vernam
06-14-2006, 02:32 PM
If only someone would pay me not to play baseball for them. That would be sweet.Banix12, I'm willing to bet you'd be worth way more than $22 million. (Not to play, obviously!) :redneck

It's sort of amazing that Baltimore wound up with Sosa on his last legs instead of Arizona. Hard to believe those guys won a World Series just a few years back.

Vernam

AZChiSoxFan
06-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Banix12, I'm willing to bet you'd be worth way more than $22 million. (Not to play, obviously!) :redneck

It's sort of amazing that Baltimore wound up with Sosa on his last legs instead of Arizona. Hard to believe those guys won a World Series just a few years back.

Vernam

Ortiz was signed while Joe "I got this job because of my last name" Garagiola Jr. was still the GM. Like you say, it is hard to fathom how they won the WS with an incompetent GM. Although, if the owner says "Sign Randy Johnson and trade for Schilling" you're off to a good start by default. This is the same GM who basically gave Schilling to Boston for a bag o' balls and traded most of the starting infield to Milwaukee for Sexton, when Sexton had one year left on his deal. Naturally Sexton left as a FA after that one year.

Banix12
06-14-2006, 05:38 PM
Banix12, I'm willing to bet you'd be worth way more than $22 million. (Not to play, obviously!) :redneck

Vernam

Back in the Ed Lynch Days I almost convinced the Cubs to pay me $50 million to not play for them. I was just about to sign the deal when Tom Skilling burst into the room, tore up the papers, slapped around Lynch and kicked me out of Tribune Tower.

All while skilling screamed, "How dare you try to defraud my company!"

I was always amazed the D'Backs spent so much on Marginal talent after they supposedly had serious money problems during that world series run and the years before and after.

Chicken Dinner
06-14-2006, 05:46 PM
Ortiz was signed while Joe "I got this job because of my last name" Garagiola Jr. was still the GM. Like you say, it is hard to fathom how they won the WS with an incompetent GM. Although, if the owner says "Sign Randy Johnson and trade for Schilling" you're off to a good start by default. This is the same GM who basically gave Schilling to Boston for a bag o' balls and traded most of the starting infield to Milwaukee for Sexton, when Sexton had one year left on his deal. Naturally Sexton left as a FA after that one year.

And now Joe Jr. works for Bud Selig and MLB. God help us.