PDA

View Full Version : Hints for a trip to Detroit and Cleveland

Fred Manrique
06-13-2006, 09:22 PM
My father and I are going on a quick little summer baseball roadtrip where we'll catch two Sox gamse @ Detroit and then a Twins @ Cleveland game. Does anyone have any advice for us on the best way to get tickets, where to sit, etc?

Also, good places to stay and any general info about the cities as we might have a little free time besides the games.

Thanks!!!

ilsox7
06-13-2006, 09:27 PM
I was a fan of and lived across the street from the Embassy Suites in downtown Cleveland. It's only about a 10 minute walk to the ballpark from there. As for tickets, I would always buy the absolute cheapest ticket ($5 in 2003) and then stand for the game on the rail at the Home Run Porch in left field.

Fred Manrique
06-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Thanks IlSox, are you a Hoosier alum as well? I feel like I remember you in the various IU basketball talks. I grew up in Bloomington, went to IU, and have now moved back there.

Still would love to hear any other advice from anyone on Detroit and Cleveland... sounds like we've got a good 6th innings brewing.

Harry Potter
06-13-2006, 09:35 PM
Made a Detroit and Cleveland trip a few years back when the Sox played them over a weekend.

Detroit: Stayed across the border at the Hilton in Windsor. Great location and there's plenty to do in Windsor (especially when you are legal to drink in Canada but not yet in the U.S.). :gulp:

Cleveland: Stayed at the Sheraton Cleveland City Centre. 5-10 minute walk to the Jake.

Both hotels were at a reasonable price.

ilsox7
06-13-2006, 09:39 PM
Thanks IlSox, are you a Hoosier alum as well? I feel like I remember you in the various IU basketball talks. I grew up in Bloomington, went to IU, and have now moved back there.

Still would love to hear any other advice from anyone on Detroit and Cleveland... sounds like we've got a good 6th innings brewing.

Yep, I am an IU grad with much love for Bloomington! Hoping to get back to Indy and Bloomington for a weekend this fall.

ohiosoxfan12
06-14-2006, 11:22 AM
There is a pretty good place to eat across from Jacobs Field that is pretty good. I think the name is Cooperstown. It reminds me of an Applebees or something similiar.

areilly
06-14-2006, 11:28 AM
I stayed at the Radisson Gateway when I went to Cleveland last year. Two blocks or so from the Jake, and definitely a good value ($79/night). There's a lot of good bars in the downtown area, and I second the recommendation of Cooperstown across from the Bob Feller statue.

Actually, it's spelled Cooper'stown, as in Alice. Yes, that Alice.

"Where rock and sports meet!" Great buffalo chicken strips there.

And go to the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame if you get the chance.

jenn2080
06-14-2006, 01:11 PM
My father and I are going on a quick little summer baseball roadtrip where we'll catch two Sox gamse @ Detroit and then a Twins @ Cleveland game. Does anyone have any advice for us on the best way to get tickets, where to sit, etc?

Also, good places to stay and any general info about the cities as we might have a little free time besides the games.

Thanks!!!

ya skip cleveland. :D: i was there and it did not look like there was bad seat in the house. there are scalpers all over the place since it is no illegal. if not try stubhub. it is a really nice park, the fans are a bit extreme.

jenn2080
06-14-2006, 01:19 PM

Thanks!!!

use hotwire for the hotel in cleveland....58 a night for the crown plaza 5 blocks from the stadium