PDA

View Full Version : mostl likely sox pitcher to have a break out season

mrhootsbball1369
02-06-2002, 09:06 PM
Hi guys i am new to this message board. I was just wondering who u guys think is most likely to have a breakout year for the sox. My opinion is jon Garland, because he showed go stuff last year and had a great 2nd half this year. He is bound to live up the hype that he has had. I think Garland should be the # 3 starter? Any one else agree with me?

WinningUgly!
02-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by mrhootsbball1369
Hi guys i am new to this message board. I was just wondering who u guys think is most likely to have a breakout year for the sox. My opinion is jon Garland, because he showed go stuff last year and had a great 2nd half this year. He is bound to live up the hype that he has had. I think Garland should be the # 3 starter? Any one else agree with me?

I look for Garland to make some serious strides this season. They kinda eased him into things last season & this is the year we should find out what he really has. 15-18 wins would be shweeet!

doublem23
02-06-2002, 09:11 PM
Welcome to WSI! :gulp:

Anyways, for my two cents, I think Garland, too, pretty much because I can't think of anyone else in as good a spot to get a chance to break out this year....

But Garland's got game... I really think he's gonna have a monster 2002...

In the minors, I think Jason Stumm is gonna make some noise again.

Daver
02-06-2002, 09:20 PM
Look for some noise out of a healthy Rocky Biddle.

I look for Garland to have a decent season,as long as he retains the confidence he had on the mound late last season.If he reverts back to getting shaken on the mound when he is under pressure,well................................

:jerry
Get Kip's depends out of the storeroom.

Chisox_cali
02-06-2002, 09:20 PM
I hate the feeling that I'm going along with "the crowd" but I will also have to go with the Gar-DAWG on this one. I've stated it before but I truly think he will have a brake-out season this year.
:jon
"Why this smirk you say?...I'm just thinking of my 2002 pitching performence"

PaleHoseGeorge
02-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Garland is so young, he could pitch lousy for another five years and still be "young" when he has his breakout year.

I like Biddle. The guy has the 'tude to be a big winner. Outstanding facial hair, too.

WinningUgly!
02-06-2002, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by daver
Look for some noise out of a healthy Rocky Biddle.

I look for Garland to have a decent season,as long as he retains the confidence he had on the mound late last season.If he reverts back to getting shaken on the mound when he is under pressure,well................................

:jerry
Get Kip's depends out of the storeroom.

I would have gone with "The Rock" if he wasn't coming off the injury. Hopefully he can come out of the shadows of the more highly touted prospects like Buerhle did. We kept hearing about how great Kip & Jon were going to be & Burly-mon stepped up big time & showed how good he is .

Daver
02-06-2002, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by WinningUgly!

I would have gone with "The Rock" if he wasn't coming off the injury. Hopefully he can come out of the shadows of the more highly touted prospects like Buerhle did. We kept hearing about how great Kip & Jon were going to be & Burly-mon stepped up big time & showed how good he is .

So did Biddle early in the season,even though he was hurt then,imagine if he was healthy.

Chisox_cali
02-06-2002, 09:31 PM

So did Biddle early in the season,even though he was hurt then,imagine if he was healthy.

Especially the Cubs game when he was mowin' um down for 3 innings and struck out 6 before he got taken out because of Shoulder Pain :angry:

Daver
02-06-2002, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
Garland is so young, he could pitch lousy for another five years and still be "young" when he has his breakout year.

I like Biddle. The guy has the 'tude to be a big winner. Outstanding facial hair, too.

Welcome to the Biddle bandwagon PHG,plenty of room,I was the only one on it.

FarWestChicago
02-06-2002, 09:33 PM

Welcome to the Biddle bandwagon PHG,plenty of room,I was the only one on it. Kermit has been on it since last spring, too. :smile:

WinningUgly!
02-06-2002, 09:35 PM

Whoo-hooo! A new WSI club, the BBW...can I get on?

duke of dorwood
02-06-2002, 09:36 PM
Biddle for sure. He seems to have that little mean streak in him to stay inside enough to stay in games.

Daver
02-06-2002, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
Kermit has been on it since last spring, too. :smile:

I probably missed that since Kermit rarely agrees with me.

Daver
02-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by duke of dorwood
Biddle for sure. He seems to have that little mean streak in him to stay inside enough to stay in games.

Perhaps we should adopt this as the wagon?

OfficerKarkovice
02-06-2002, 09:44 PM

Hey! I've been on that wagon as well...I know Daver agrees with us as well.

bjmarte
02-06-2002, 09:47 PM
Welcome mrhoots! I'd love to know where that name came from :smile:

I went on record a while ago as being on the Garland bandwagon. I am a little more cautious about Rocky but I would love to see him prove me wrong.

WinningUgly!
02-06-2002, 09:51 PM

Perhaps we should adopt this as the wagon? The Rock's on board! :D:

Daver
02-06-2002, 09:56 PM
The Rock's on board! :D:

LMAO!!!!

Good stuff WU.

mrhootsbball1369
02-06-2002, 10:17 PM
Chisox cali, i know what u mean, i was at that game and i was so pissed that he had to leave the game. i was like figures, every injury has to happened to the sox. i agree with all u guys that the rockmister is a great canidate to break out, but the porblem is that he is injured. when he comes back healthy, hopfully he can control his sweet ass moving fastball

RichH55
02-06-2002, 10:25 PM

Whoo-hooo! A new WSI club, the BBW...can I get on?

May I suggest something different than BBW? It does have a different connotation assosiated with it IIRC

kermittheefrog
02-06-2002, 10:28 PM
I remember back when I was the only Biddle guy. I knew you guys would see the light. What isn't there to like about this guy? He throws 92, has movement, solid control and a great curve. Works in a change, Biddle is gonna show the non-believers the light.

Daver
02-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog
I remember back when I was the only Biddle guy. I knew you guys would see the light. What isn't there to like about this guy? He throws 92, has movement, solid control and a great curve. Works in a change, Biddle is gonna show the non-believers the light.

Umm,Kermit,I have been a Biddle backer since day one.I guess we are the only ones though.

RichH55
02-06-2002, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by kermittheefrog

Still it isnt all that reasonable to expect Biddle to come and start the season strong, especially in the rotation....As of now I'm guessing Rocky's chance depends on the success/failure of Glover in that 4th/5th slot

OfficerKarkovice
02-06-2002, 10:37 PM

Umm,Kermit,I have been a Biddle backer since day one.I guess we are the only ones though.

Come on what do I have to do to be let into the club? And the best thing about Rock isnt hit velocity or his movement, its that he is one pitcher who has the cahones to go out and go right at hitters no matter who they are.

Daver
02-06-2002, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by RichH55

Still it isnt all that reasonable to expect Biddle to come and start the season strong, especially in the rotation....As of now I'm guessing Rocky's chance depends on the success/failure of Glover in that 4th/5th slot

If Rocky is at 100% Glover would be stealing a spot in the rotation,he is not the pitcher Biddle is.

DrCrawdad
02-06-2002, 11:23 PM
I was just wondering who u guys think is most likely to have a breakout year for the sox.

Kip Wells.

Look for Kip to reach Sox projections for him this season. Oh, that's right he's gone!

Well, hopefully Kip will mow down the Cubbies in 2002 like he did in 2001.

CubKilla
02-06-2002, 11:33 PM
I went with Garland last year. Biddle's coming off an arm problem. My choice for breakout is T. Ritchie. Hopefully all the talk of 5-6 more wins for Ritchie this year w/the White Sox offense will come true.

Pete_SSAC
02-07-2002, 12:25 AM
Garland, but I also think that Glover might come through for us this year too.

But, again, what do I know?

- Pete

rdivaldi
02-07-2002, 09:49 AM
With all the Garland and Biddle votes, I guess I will have to take a different stance and place my vote for Matt Ginter. I look for this guy to have a good season.

Lost in the shuffle for most of the season, Matt came on strong at the end of the year. His 5.22 ERA looks weak, but look a little closer and you'll see a OBA of .238 and a WHIP of 1.21, not too shabby.

hold2dibber
02-07-2002, 12:33 PM
I too am expecting a solid year out of Garland (13-16 wins and an ERA under 4). I am a Biddle believer, but am concerned since he is coming off of injury. I actually think Glover could surprise some people. He doesn't have the upside of Garland or Biddle (or Rauch or Malone or Wright, for that matter) but he has pretty good stuff, and seems to me to have a good make-up and approach. I don't think he'll win 15 games, but I can see him being a solid back of the rotation guy; maybe 10-12 wins and a 4.4 ERA. I could live with that at no. 4, assuming Garland and Ritchie step up and Buehrle provides what we all think he'll provide.

I keep hoping Ginter will put it together, but I haven't seen any flashes at the MLB level to make me think he will any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

rdivaldi
02-07-2002, 01:00 PM
I keep hoping Ginter will put it together, but I haven't seen any flashes at the MLB level to make me think he will any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

???

Matt Ginter post All Star Break:

1-0, 4.36 ERA, 33 IP, .216 OBA

You must have missed that flash.

kermittheefrog
02-07-2002, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by rdivaldi
With all the Garland and Biddle votes, I guess I will have to take a different stance and place my vote for Matt Ginter. I look for this guy to have a good season.

Lost in the shuffle for most of the season, Matt came on strong at the end of the year. His 5.22 ERA looks weak, but look a little closer and you'll see a OBA of .238 and a WHIP of 1.21, not too shabby.

I like Ginter but the Sox don't seem to wanna let himj out the pen. Sounds like another one of our bullpen pitchers.

FarmerAndy
02-07-2002, 01:57 PM
I'm with both Baron Von Garland and Rocky Bag-a-Doughnuts. I think Garland will breakout this year. I'd also like to see Biddle in the starting rotation. Rocky takes the mound like he really has a pair, no fear. I don't like the fact that Parque is already penciled in the rotation. I think he needs to earn his job back. I'm not yet convinced that he deserves to just jump back in as a starter.

I also believe that we will see very good things from Danny Wright in the not so distant future.

czalgosz
02-07-2002, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by FarmerAndy
I'm with both Baron Von Garland and Rocky Bag-a-Doughnuts. I think Garland will breakout this year. I'd also like to see Biddle in the starting rotation. Rocky takes the mound like he really has a pair, no fear. I don't like the fact that Parque is already penciled in the rotation. I think he needs to earn his job back. I'm not yet convinced that he deserves to just jump back in as a starter.

I also believe that we will see very good things from Danny Wright in the not so distant future.

I'm still not impressed with Garland - his stuff isn't good enough to fool hitters, IMO. Of course, he's only 22, so he's ahead of the curve in terms of progress, but he doesn't impress me with his stuff the way Wright and Biddle do.

Biddle probably will have the best season outside of Buerhle and Ritchie in 2002, IMO, but but I think that Gary Glover might put together a couple good months and open some eyes.

rdivaldi
02-07-2002, 05:17 PM
I like Ginter but the Sox don't seem to wanna let himj out the pen. Sounds like another one of our bullpen pitchers.

True kermit, but don't forget that Buerhle was stuck in the 'pen in 2000 and in spring training '01. Granted I don't expect that kind of production from Ginter, but it could happen.

RichH55
02-08-2002, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by rdivaldi

True kermit, but don't forget that Buerhle was stuck in the 'pen in 2000 and in spring training '01. Granted I don't expect that kind of production from Ginter, but it could happen.

True, but looking over our list of players(read:pitchers) that you can expect on the big league roster, if a guy like Rausch proves hes ready to go after some triple A time, who is the first guy sent down? Not saying its right, but Ginter is probably near the top of that list...unless my mind is totally gone this morning, which of course is always an option

rdivaldi
02-08-2002, 08:57 AM
who is the first guy sent down? Not saying its right, but Ginter is probably near the top of that list...unless my mind is totally gone this morning, which of course is always an option

For now, you're probably right. We have plenty of right handed arms in the bullpen ahead of Ginter. If he can show something during Spring Traiing however, he might end up pencilied in as the 5th starter. He was outstanding as a starter in AA in 2000, and good last year starting in AAA.

voodoochile
02-08-2002, 12:02 PM
I like Biddle and I think he has decent stuff and a great attitude, but he needs to get over his case of fat-pitchitis. He can grove a 3 run homer with the best of them, and he never gives up solo shots - there always seem to be men on base.

I like Wright to have a breakout year, but I don't know if he will get the chance.

The cool thing is that there are soooo many choices that the Sox are bound to find someone who can get it done. Too many prospects isn't a bad thing when 1-4 is pretty much set...

FarWestChicago
02-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
I like Biddle and I think he has decent stuff and a great attitude, but he needs to get over his case of fat-pitchitis. He can grove a 3 run homer with the best of them, and he never gives up solo shots - there always seem to be men on base. That's the thing about Rocked. He pitches no-hitters with one 5 or 6 run inning tossed in. He does have 'tude. He's just got to stop with the Bonus Inning for the other team.

Huisj
02-08-2002, 01:11 PM
to me Ginter seems perfect for a bullpen spot, especially with so many people down on howry. He throws hard, has a nasty slider, and if that OBA is a sign of what his future will be like, he's a potential top notch set up guy. Once they gave him a chance to pitch a bit more regularly, he really performed. Early in the year when he was up a bit, they treated him kind of the way they treated Vining--he'd pitch once a week or usually once. Then he'd get bombed for an inning, and have a week to dwell on that, because he wouldn't get another appearance for a long time.

kind of also makes me wonder what would happen if they actually gave vining a real shot. he doesn't have the gas that ginter has, but his minor league numbers are still quite good recently.

oh well, only 8 more days before the journey all begins . . .

ode to veeck
02-08-2002, 02:38 PM
"I got great facial hair! --if I trim it just right, maybe I can avoid the occasional gopher bal!"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/ode/biddle.jpg

ode to veeck
02-08-2002, 02:43 PM
"I got great form too!

...Form over function on a few gopher balls I guess

... now if KW could get his head out of his a__ and get a lineup that leads the majors in runs again, then I'm good for 18-20 wins!"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/ode/biddle-form.jpg

ode to veeck
02-08-2002, 02:49 PM
"Hey ... what about me!"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/ode/howry charges.jpg

ode to veeck
02-08-2002, 02:55 PM
"Hey ... what about my facial hair!?!"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/ode/dsc_0061.jpg

ode to veeck
02-08-2002, 02:59 PM
" ... an how bout the form on this curveball!!"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/ode/dsc_0061a.jpg

ode to veeck
02-08-2002, 03:04 PM
" I got form ... but that's about it (ain't no sh__!)"

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/ode/embree pitches.jpg

AsInWreck
02-08-2002, 04:14 PM
i agree with all u guys that the rockmister is a great canidate to break out, but the porblem is that he is injured. when he comes back healthy, hopfully he can control his sweet ass....

Yikes!

Back to the subject at hand, though, i'm goin' w/
d wright

mrhootsbball1369
02-08-2002, 04:17 PM
I don't really think that ginter will even make the 25 man roster, if he does the sox won't give him a chance, so i am not that high on ginter being a pitcher whether from the bullpen of roatation at all, i think we should trade him for a porsepct or two. and ideas on that?

mrhootsbball1369
02-08-2002, 04:24 PM
this is my list of protential starters to have a break out year from highest to lowest (Top ten)
1.Jon Garland
2. ROcky biddle
3. danny wright
4. molone
5. rausch
6. glover
7. richie
8. barcelo
9. guerier
10. ginter :)

guillen4life13
02-08-2002, 07:25 PM
here's my list:

Garland
Biddle
Parque
Barcelo
Kohlmeier
Ritchie
Howry
Foulke (I wouldn't put 45-50 saves past him anymore)
Ginter
Rauch
Guerrier

logical or no?

mrhootsbball1369
02-08-2002, 10:14 PM
i don't think foulkes and howry can start because they don't have enough endurance, but they can have breakout seaon as relievers though

Daver
02-08-2002, 10:19 PM
i don't think foulkes and howry can start because they don't have enough endurance, but they can have breakout seaon as relievers though

Howry only has one pitch that he can throw for a strike,there is no way he would ever be a starter.Foulke has a whopping two pitches,he might make through the opponents lineup once before getting lit up.

mrhootsbball1369
02-08-2002, 10:27 PM
DOes anyone know how long garland has been signed for, because i feel that he gonna be a top of the rotation starter for us in the future, right now he should be our 3rd starter.
1. buerhle
2. richie
3. garland
4. biddle
5. glover

mrhootsbball1369
02-08-2002, 10:30 PM
btw, how long is biddle expected to be out, i didn't include him in the rotation because i think he had surgery, was his shoulder or what, and details please thanks. A healthy biddle would slide nicely into the rotation :)

kermittheefrog
02-08-2002, 10:32 PM
DOes anyone know how long garland has been signed for, because i feel that he gonna be a top of the rotation starter for us in the future, right now he should be our 3rd starter.
1. buerhle
2. richie
3. garland
4. biddle
5. glover

Under the current CBA Garland has two more years before arbitration and four more before free agency however that coudl all change.

mrhootsbball1369
02-08-2002, 10:34 PM
thanks kermit!1 :) :) :)

mrhootsbball1369
02-08-2002, 10:44 PM
another question: of all the sox pitcher, who is most likely to either lead the legue in E.R.A, or wins in the next ten years if it happens. I would have to go will garland because he's got great suff and is a protential Ace pitcher to our staff. Garland keeps getting better every year. I think that GArland will become an ace because he has experience from the bullpen and suff to accomplish the feat. I iwll change my mind if i start to see positive things from wright and rausch in the majors as a starter or releiver. Perhaps they should have both as releivers like buerhle to get experience and then maybe they will ahve break out seasons and become an ace. The whitesox have the protential to have a solid 5 rotation that could dominate for 5 years or so! what do u guys think???????????

delben91
02-08-2002, 11:21 PM
another question: of all the sox pitcher, who is most likely to either lead the legue in E.R.A, or wins in the next ten years if it happens. I would have to go will garland because he's got great suff and is a protential Ace pitcher to our staff. Garland keeps getting better every year. I think that GArland will become an ace because he has experience from the bullpen and suff to accomplish the feat. I iwll change my mind if i start to see positive things from wright and rausch in the majors as a starter or releiver. Perhaps they should have both as releivers like buerhle to get experience and then maybe they will ahve break out seasons and become an ace. The whitesox have the protential to have a solid 5 rotation that could dominate for 5 years or so! what do u guys think???????????

To lead the league in ERA? Buerhle, no question, he was what, 4th, 5th? in the AL last season, that's pretty close. Though, with Pedro in the mix, it's basically a race for 2nd

garlandrules
02-09-2002, 12:20 AM
Garland will be around for a long time and be very successful. How many 22-year-olds can have the kind of year he had being jerked around from starting to bullpen so a guy like Sean Lowe can get starts...

bc2k
02-09-2002, 02:29 AM
mrhoots1369, no offense, but please use spellcheck. You're killing my eyes.

voodoochile
02-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
mrhoots1369, no offense, but please use spellcheck. You're killing my eyes.

His spelling isn't that bad, Mr. Professor...

You are in real trouble if LDF ever returns...

fuzzy_patters
02-09-2002, 11:24 AM
Two words: Dan Wright.

bc2k
02-09-2002, 01:11 PM
LDF? Why, is he a bad speller?

voodoochile
02-09-2002, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by bc2k
LDF? Why, is he a bad speller?

It isn't great, but I was joking. LDF knows he doesn't type well and it is okay. He gets his ideas across. I was being facetious, because MRHB - really isn't that bad of a speller. I was really surprised you mentioned it at all...