PDA

View Full Version : Will the Cincinnati Reds make the playoffs?

PKalltheway
06-13-2006, 02:02 PM
Here's a question, plain and simple. Will the Cincinnati Reds make the playoffs? Now before you say no, I've done a little bit of math here. The Reds currently have 36 wins and 98 games left. If they go .500 the rest of the way (49-49), they'll finish with 85 wins. If they go .561 the rest of the way (55-43), they'll finish with 91 wins. Do you think the Reds have what it takes to slip in as a Wild Card or maybe even win the division?

skottyj242
06-13-2006, 02:20 PM
I think it all depends on Pujols and The Rocket. I think they're a good team but not that good. If no one steps it up and overtakes them the division is thiers. It's going to hurt getting swept this weekend though.

samram
06-13-2006, 02:23 PM
The Reds suck. They've been ok lately because Milton actually got a few guys out, but he'll be back to batting practice pitcher status before long. The Reds will finish in fifth if the Brewers decide to live up to their potential.

buehrle4cy05
06-13-2006, 02:24 PM
Unless they trade for a starter and a couple of relievers at the deadline, no. This team reminds me of the 2004 Rangers. They hit their way to a fast start, but down the stretch, a lack of pitching will lead to their downfall.

Chisox003
06-13-2006, 02:29 PM
Unless they trade for a starter and a couple of relievers at the deadline, no. This team reminds me of the 2004 Rangers. They hit their way to a fast start, but down the stretch, a lack of pitching will lead to their downfall.
Word

Chicken Dinner
06-13-2006, 02:30 PM
The Wild Card will be either the Reds, Phillies, or Astro's. So maybe?

QCIASOXFAN
06-13-2006, 02:35 PM
They are to awful to win the division, they can beat good teams but when it comes to **** teams like the Cubs they blow it.

Jerko
06-13-2006, 02:43 PM
Arroyo, Milton, and Harang have to step it up big time. Even if they do, they still have no 4 or 5 starter, a weak pen, and WAY too many strikeouts in the lineup. That said, the NL IMO is so bad, I can see them being a wild card team. Then again, it's hard to take a team seriously that wins 8 in a row sandwiched between 5 losses to the Cubs.

chaerulez
06-13-2006, 03:00 PM
The National League is bad. So while I don't think they will make it, if they do it won't shock me.

StockdaleForVeep
06-13-2006, 03:35 PM
They better not, i need the brew crew to make the world series so i win 200

rowand33
06-13-2006, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't completely discount Milton's success. He did go 14-6 in 2004.
Great American is a bad park for him to pitch in with his tendancy to give up the HR ball, but I think the Reds should be able to count on him on the road for the rest of the season. And with the run support he'll get at home, I would expect at least 12 wins out of the guy.

Harang is on pace to go 18-10 right now. Arroyo is on pace to go 20-5. I don't think either of them will win that many, but I'd say they can both win at least 15, Arroyo (2006's Jon Garland) should win 18 barring a disaster.

That's three decent starters, if they trade for a 4th and/or Paul Wilson comes back around the break and pitches ok, their pitching could hold up.

bullpen is still a major issue (what happened to Ryan Wagner?! I thought he was supposed to be a future stud closer and now he's getting lit up down in AAA)

Not jumping on the bandwagon, and not trying to say that they have good pitching, but they could have pitching that's effective enough to be able to win more times than not when the club is averaging over 5 runs a game and leading the majors in homers.

With the top 3 and that lineup, I wouldn't be shocked if they made it into the playoffs since the Astros lineup has looked pretty impotent (19th in runs in the majors) and Pujols is injured.

depy48
06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
Don't poo poo on the Reds pitching. Arroyo and Harang have been pitching very well. Milton's ERA is a respectable 4.10 and has only given up 8hr's. Although Claussen's record is pretty poor, he does have good stuff. Plus Todd Coffey has come in and has done a great job as closer with a 1.83 ERA. I don't even have to talk about the hitting, since it is assumed that line up can score runs. Am I saying the Reds will make the playoffs? Maybe, but I am saying that you should NOT sleep on this team.

Foulke You
06-13-2006, 05:08 PM
There are a lot of variables to take into consideration here. Besides the Pujols/Rocket factor in the NL Central, you also have to take a look at which teams will likely be adding players at the deadline. The Phillies, Braves, and Cards all have a history of adding a player or two for the stretch drive while the Reds have shown a reluctancy to spend money in the past.

Overall, I think the Reds will ultimately fade in that division and will be overtaken by the Cards and Stros unless they make a deal for another starter. How about Charlie Haegar for Ken Griffey Jr?

ComiskeyBrewer
06-13-2006, 05:13 PM
The Reds suck. They've been ok lately because Milton actually got a few guys out, but he'll be back to batting practice pitcher status before long. The Reds will finish in fifth if the Brewers decide to live up to their potential.

I donno, the Cubs and Pirates are both pretty bad. I could see the reds in 4th, but they would have to take a major dive to drop to 5th.

MrRoboto83
06-13-2006, 07:06 PM

I think you could put the 2005 Baltimore Orioles in this category as well. I remember they were in first place around this time last year.

A. Cavatica
06-13-2006, 07:07 PM
Yes, behind new centerfielder Brian Anderson and ace Brandon McCarthy.

DickAllen72
06-13-2006, 10:24 PM
From what little I've seen of the Reds this year, they don't seem to play fundamental baseball very well. Actually, they look like crap to me. Poor defense, stupid baseball, etc.

The again, they do play in the National league, so I guess it's possible.

Jjav829
06-13-2006, 11:36 PM
Not a chance in hell.

Trade us Griffey. :)

Seriously, have you seen their pitching? Harang is for real. Arroyo is good, but not this good. Milton will soon wake up and realize he is Eric Milton, crappy lefty veteran presence. Aside from Coffey, their bullpen is crap. Rick White? Esteban Yan? Kent Mercker? Makes our bullpen look, well, decent.

palehozenychicty
06-14-2006, 09:23 AM
Not a chance in hell.

Trade us Griffey. :)

Seriously, have you seen their pitching? Harang is for real. Arroyo is good, but not this good. Milton will soon wake up and realize he is Eric Milton, crappy lefty veteran presence. Aside from Coffey, their bullpen is crap. Rick White? Esteban Yan? Kent Mercker? Makes our bullpen look, well, decent.

Griffey can back up Anderson/Thome as a super-CF/DH. As for the Reds, the NL is really lame other than the Mets. So they could sneak in as a wild-card. But they don't have the depth in pitching or a consistent lineup to be a serious contender, IMO.