PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Idea for SS??

The Big Squirt
06-13-2006, 12:05 PM
Ok I might be stupid - but could either Crede or Fields play SS. I know that Ripken was supposed to be a 3B but to make room for him they stuck him at SS. Would that type of scenario work here?

Meixner007
06-13-2006, 12:08 PM
Because you don't just turn someone into a SS or any other position for that matter. SS is the toughest position on the infield. You're the captain. Your range has to be excellent along with your footwork. This takes years to learn. You can't just turn someone into a SS, 2B, 1B or 3B.

Chez
06-13-2006, 12:09 PM
Absolutely not. This is a baseball team not a fantasy baseball team.

sullythered
06-13-2006, 12:10 PM
It'll be tough to play SS with Juan Uribe standing there.
Also, if Fields changes positions, it will be to a corner in the outfield, not to a more difficult possition.

RKMeibalane
06-13-2006, 12:13 PM
:hitless

soxfan13
06-13-2006, 12:40 PM
Ok I might be stupid - but could either Crede or Fields play SS. I know that Ripken was supposed to be a 3B but to make room for him they stuck him at SS. Would that type of scenario work here?

Are you worried about Uribe or just playing around? Uribe is soooo streaky, I would bet almost anything that he will be right around his career averages, 15-20 HRs 260-265 average 50 -60 RBIs, when the season is done. He is also another player not letting his hitting affect his play in the field.

oeo
06-13-2006, 01:05 PM
We have a shortstop, he goes by the name of Juan Uribe.

Tekijawa
06-13-2006, 01:33 PM
I remember Dye playing SS, Let's move him back over there and bring Fields up in Right! That will make the Garland for XXXXX Trade even more valuable!

Jjav829
06-13-2006, 02:15 PM
I remember Dye playing SS, Let's move him back over there and bring Fields up in Right! That will make the Garland for XXXXX Trade even more valuable!

We can't do that because we're moving Dye to first base.

QCIASOXFAN
06-13-2006, 02:31 PM
That is kind of a stupid idea :smile:

NonetheLoaiza
06-13-2006, 02:49 PM
We need to get Jamie Burke back as our third catcher and put Widger back at third base where he belongs.

Ol' No. 2
06-13-2006, 03:12 PM
Ok I might be stupid - but could either Crede or Fields play SS. I know that Ripken was supposed to be a 3B but to make room for him they stuck him at SS. Would that type of scenario work here?It's not stupid. As you pointed out, Ripken did it, so I don't know why everyone is dismissing it out of hand.

That said, it takes different skills to play SS, and the reverse move is much more common. A lot of 3B started out as SS but weren't good enough. Next to catcher, SS is the most critical defensive position on the field, and with a solid defensive SS in place, it would be hard to justify such a move unless it was an enormous offensive upgrade.

Mercy!
06-13-2006, 03:26 PM
:dye:
Anytime we're in Oakland,
I'm available to play shortstop.

miker
06-13-2006, 03:39 PM
It's not stupid. As you pointed out, Ripken did it, so I don't know why everyone is dismissing it out of hand.
Because this board has a habit of attacking anyone with different ideas or dissenting opinions...

sullythered
06-13-2006, 04:51 PM
Because this board has a habit of attacking anyone with different ideas or dissenting opinions...
Though I agree with that, I think it is a little silly in this instance. Joe Crede is a gold glove caliber third baseman, it would be silly to move him. Josh Fields is not a very good infeilder, from most accounts. You can't put him at the most difficult possition on the field, particularly when we already have one of the best there.
You can have different ideas, as long as they are good ones.

peeonwrigley
06-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Crede is so good at 3rd I don't think I would ever consider moving him to another position. Plus, he is too slow IMO to play short. He has great quickness, which allows him to play very well at 3rd. However, you have to be able to cover a lot of ground quickly to play short. I don't think he'd be capable.

Can't comment on Fields, I've never seen him play outside of a few innings in Spring Training maybe.

soxfan13
06-14-2006, 02:21 PM
Crede is so good at 3rd I don't think I would ever consider moving him to another position. Plus, he is too slow IMO to play short. He has great quickness, which allows him to play very well at 3rd. However, you have to be able to cover a lot of ground quickly to play short. I don't think he'd be capable.

Can't comment on Fields, I've never seen him play outside of a few innings in Spring Training maybe.

Would this lead him to get bad reads on the groundballs like Rowand did with flyballs:smile:

The Big Squirt
06-14-2006, 11:48 PM
Though I agree with that, I think it is a little silly in this instance. Joe Crede is a gold glove caliber third baseman, it would be silly to move him. Josh Fields is not a very good infeilder, from most accounts. You can't put him at the most difficult possition on the field, particularly when we already have one of the best there.
You can have different ideas, as long as they are good ones.

I never said it was a good one - actually I indicated it was stupid. Yeah I am just taking a flier - but why not? BTW - no I am not happy with Uribe. We only have seen 1 decent year out of him and he is streaky at best. This isn't a generation where you can have a lightweight at the SS position - especially in the AL.

Domeshot17
06-15-2006, 05:07 PM
I think the free passes for Uribe will run out soon. For all the good work politte has done, we are sick of him not pitching this year. Uribe may have made some great plays in the world series, but his errors are up, he cant hit, hes done the funamentals (bunting base running) incredibly poorly. Meanwhile you have Cintron, who is hitting everything in site, who isnt a huge downgrade defensively, beggin for playing time. Im with Squirt that unless Uribe hits, and hits consitently, I dont mind us finding a new SS

However, That is not Josh Fields.

DSpivack
06-15-2006, 05:38 PM
I think the free passes for Uribe will run out soon. For all the good work politte has done, we are sick of him not pitching this year. Uribe may have made some great plays in the world series, but his errors are up, he cant hit, hes done the funamentals (bunting base running) incredibly poorly. Meanwhile you have Cintron, who is hitting everything in site, who isnt a huge downgrade defensively, beggin for playing time. Im with Squirt that unless Uribe hits, and hits consitently, I dont mind us finding a new SS

However, That is not Josh Fields.

I don't think we need to go out and get a new SS....we have Cintron, who is a perfectly viable option to start if Uribe keeps flirting with Mendoza.

Zisk77
06-18-2006, 01:36 AM
It's not stupid. As you pointed out, Ripken did it, so I don't know why everyone is dismissing it out of hand.

That said, it takes different skills to play SS, and the reverse move is much more common. A lot of 3B started out as SS but weren't good enough. Next to catcher, SS is the most critical defensive position on the field, and with a solid defensive SS in place, it would be hard to justify such a move unless it was an enormous offensive upgrade.

I beleive Ripken was always a SS. But when the Birds brought him up a certain Doug DeCinces [sic] was entrenced at ss. Then when DeCinces' contract ran out he became an angel.