PDA

View Full Version : Results vs. Process REDUX

PaleHoseGeorge
02-06-2002, 09:30 PM
I was thinking about this whole "Just Win" vs. "Balanced Approach" discussion we had a week ago. I'm wondering how many of the "Balanced Approach" folks agreed with Jerry Krause and Jerry Reinsdorf when they claimed it was essential to tear apart a six-time champion team so they could rebuild and win more championships as quickly as possible? They were saying this throughout 1997 and 1998.

Yea, that worked really great.

Do any of you have theories why their approach backfired? How would you have rebuilt the Bulls if not the way the Two Jerries managed their "balanced approach" to another dynasty?

Of course you know where I fall on this subject just by my sig file. NEVER mess with the core of a winning formula. I would have run Jordan and Pippen out there until their legs fell off--or they lost a championship.

This is why screwing around with the 2000 champion Sox pissed me off so much. Manuel treated those games in April like they were part of an extended spring training schedule. By the time Frank got hurt, the season was essentially over.

Daver
02-06-2002, 09:38 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge
I was thinking about this whole "Just Win" vs. "Balanced Approach" discussion we had a week ago. I'm wondering how many of the "Balanced Approach" folks agreed with Jerry Krause and Jerry Reinsdorf when they claimed it was essential to tear apart a six-time champion team so they could rebuild and win more championships as quickly as possible? They were saying this throughout 1997 and 1998.

Yea, that worked really great.

Do any of you have theories why their approach backfired? How would you have rebuilt the Bulls if not the way the Two Jerries managed their "balanced approach" to another dynasty?

Of course you know where I fall on this subject just by my sig file. NEVER mess with the core of a winning formula. I would have run Jordan and Pippen out there until their legs fell off--or they lost a championship.

This is why screwing around with the 2000 champion Sox pissed me off so much. Manuel treated those games in April like they were part of an extended spring training schedule. By the time Frank got hurt, the season was essentially over.

:reinsy

Krause assured me that organizations win championships.

doublem23
02-06-2002, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by daver
Krause assured me that organizations win championships.

:fans
Yeah, who needs good players?

Daver
02-06-2002, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by doublem23

:fans
Yeah, who needs good players?

I spent 4.5 million on :hitless

you think I am made of money?

There is no money,nobody sits in them damn blue seats.

Whats wrong with blue anyway?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-06-2002, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by daver

I spent 4.5 million on :hitless

you think I am made of money?

There is no money,nobody sits in them damn blue seats.

Whats wrong with blue anyway?

All of these are classic examples of why I'm results-oriented. Nobody thought improving infield defense was a bad idea, but getting Clayton (most would agree) turned out to be wrong.

Nobody thought Clayton's salary was too much, but (most would agree) it turned out to be just that.

Nobody thought changing the seat color to blue would be a big deal, but for many fans, it turned into a new complaint.

We're all human, and we make mistakes--in spite of good intentions. That's why rushing to "improve" on a champion is often doomed to failure.