PDA

View Full Version : Friendliest/UNfriendliest ballpark to opposing teams fans.

Thome25
06-13-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm a die-hard White Sox fan living in Maryland. I'm going to my first Sox game at Camden yards the last weekend in July.

I got into this long conversation with my fiance (who is from Maryland.) about how friendly/unfriendly the O's fans are in Baltimore.

That's when it occurred to me that I was curious to hear the opinion of the greatest Sox fans in the world on this issue.

Since ALOT of you have been to Sox games at opposing teams ballparks, In your opinion who has the friendliest/UNfriendliest fans in MLB? Which stadium that you have been to is the best to opposing teams fans and which is the worst? What about Camden yards? What are their fans like?!

Also, do any of you have any cool stories about some good experiences in an opposing teams ballpark? How about some bad stories too?

THANKS to anyone who posts and GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

jenn2080
06-13-2006, 09:15 AM
Out of all the ballparks I have been to I would have to say that Cleveland fans were the most rude fans out there.

AuroraSoxFan
06-13-2006, 09:16 AM
I'm initially from Cicero/Berwyn myself. Hope MD is going well for ya. I have been to many parks. I'd have to say the fans at Yankee stadium were the most unfriendly. Usually 90% of fans are cool with 10% being SOB's. At Yankee stadium I'd have to say it was the other way around. Any other park people were cool overall. You'll always hear some razzing but most of it's funny stuff. Late April in Anaheim most fans were cool just still bent over the beating they took in the ALCS. Still decent overall. Never been to Camden but The Sox/O's haven't seriously clashed since the 83 ALCS so I'm sure you'll be fine.

CHISOXFAN13
06-13-2006, 09:16 AM
Yankee Stadium. It's really not close either.

white sox bill
06-13-2006, 09:17 AM
How 'bout that discusting park 8 miles to the north?

SoxFan76
06-13-2006, 09:22 AM
On the other hand, I've noticed the Cell is very tame. Not much conflict between opposing fans. I won't call it the "best" park because I wouldn't know, but it must be up there.

You can get jumped at Wrigley for wearing a Sox hat though.

LauraJ14
06-13-2006, 09:25 AM
I went to Camden yards in 2001 and the fans were very nice. No booing of the Sox players.
I went to Fenway in 2002 to see the Sox play the Sox and all the fans seemed to be obsessed with the Yankees.
St Louis Cardinals fans are knowledgeable and don't boo, they can't stand the annoying Cub fans who come to their park.

VA_GoGoSox
06-13-2006, 09:26 AM
I saw the Sox in Camden 4 or 5 years ago and the O's fans I met were all pretty cool people. It's a great park and the inner harbor area is really nice now (apparently it used to be a dump). You'll have a good time there.

The only other place I've seen the Sox play is down here in St. Pete. D-Rays fans don't exactly have a lot to brag about, so I didn't hear a single bad word from anyone. Not even after they took 2 of 3 from us:angry:

Thome25
06-13-2006, 09:29 AM
On the other hand, I've noticed the Cell is very tame. Not much conflict between opposing fans. I won't call it the "best" park because I wouldn't know, but it must be up there.

I'd have to agree with that. When I was still living in Chicago and I'd go to a Sox game, I was proud to be a Sox fans because overall I'd have to say that we were pretty good to the opposing teams fans.

When I went to Sox games at USCF, I noticed alot of Yankmees fans when they were in town. But nothing ever happened and no one was ever rude to them. (and I went to quite a few games against the Yankmees too.)

So, I'd have to say that my vote for fans at USCF goes toward us being some of the friendliest fans around.

Irishsox1
06-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Fenway -- Loudmouth, angry fans that wanted to start a fight with me because I had a White Sox shirt on. I would say Boston fans are the WORST fans I have every come across. Even the old guy down the aisile was yelling at me.

EastCoastSoxFan
06-13-2006, 09:38 AM
Unfriendliest: Philadelphia. No contest. At one point it got so bad at Veterans Stadium that they actually installed a holding cell under the stands and had a Philadelphia district judge stationed there during Eagles games to dispense justice to fans who kept getting into fights with fans of other teams (mostly Cowboys fans). But even during Philles games fans wearing the opposing team's gear are likely to be on the receiving end of the "AAAASSSS-HOLE, AAAASSSS-HOLE" chant while going to and from their seats.

Friendliest: I haven't really had any bad experiences with anyone else's fans, just some good-natured ribbing both ways.

jenn2080
06-13-2006, 09:48 AM
I like the Red Sox fans the best. I went there in 2004 and I thought their fans were great. Super nice people. My friend Mary and I ended up going to party with a few of them. Everyone we talked to were nice right down to the people that worked there. At no point did the fans make comments when we rooted fo the Sox. It was a great experience all around.

SSSoxFan
06-13-2006, 09:50 AM
I've been to Yankee Stadium, Fenway, Camden Yard, Kauffman Stadium, Comerica Park, Tropicana Field and Jacobs Field and hands down Jacobs Field treats opposing fans the worst!!!!!!!!

My friends and I sat down the right field line and we had peanuts being thrown at us. People saying very vulgar things to us. Keep in mind we were 4 women and this was happening to us. I could only imagine if we were males how much worse it would have been.

jenn2080
06-13-2006, 09:52 AM
I'd have to agree with that. When I was still living in Chicago and I'd go to a Sox game, I was proud to be a Sox fans because overall I'd have to say that we were pretty good to the opposing teams fans.

When I went to Sox games at USCF, I noticed alot of Yankmees fans when they were in town. But nothing ever happened and no one was ever rude to them. (and I went to quite a few games against the Yankmees too.)

So, I'd have to say that my vote for fans at USCF goes toward us being some of the friendliest fans around.

I semi disagree. My friend is a Twins fan born in Minnisota. She went to a game last year against the Sox and she got harrassed pretty bad. I was there and I was very embarassed since it was her first game there. In turn she never wants to go back again after that experience. I heard it when Toronto was in to.

Dont get me wrong I love that stadium, and our fans, but I would not put us in the friendly fans category.

whitesoxwin
06-13-2006, 09:58 AM
Ballparks:

Yankee Stadium---fans were O.K. ---especially early in the season, because they know it's a distance trek to fall, not a sprint and they are used to their team stumbling and then going on a late flurry.
Anaheim---fans are O.K. (usually--except they REALLY despise the fact the White Sox kicked their butts)
St. Louis---Great fans and they REALLY like the fact Sox fans come down and root for the Cardinals and how we despise the Flubs--I even go a couple high fives as a Sox Fan---(except this will probably change after next week)
I had no problem in Baltimore--but they weren't playing the Sox.....
The "Urinal" on the North side of Chicago---so- called Flub fans are idiots--period... (but not true for the misguided tourists that populate the dump--thinking it is some sort of shrine--they are well, again, just plain misguided)

Dan Mega
06-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Oakland.

CaptainBallz
06-13-2006, 10:04 AM
There's only one type of person I refuse to be pleasant to while at the Cell. Yes, that's the Cubbie-blue wearing assclown that insists on coming to games completely unrelated to the Cubs. I saw plenty of them there this past Saturday. What a bunch of baboons. Isn't it bad enough that they have nothing? Opposing team fans I enjoy. Usually, there's just friendly smack being talked both ways. But those blueboys...gimme a break...:rolleyes:

GOGOGOPODS
06-13-2006, 10:11 AM
I have been to Tropicana Field, Wrigley Field, Metrodome, Jacobs Field, Comerica Park, Old/New Comiskey, Turner Field, and Miller Park.

The friendliest I would have to say is Turner Field(I was only there for a spring training game but still) and the unfriendliest would have to be well that pisshole on the North Side of Chicago

VASoxfan1
06-13-2006, 10:22 AM
Fenway -- Loudmouth, angry fans that wanted to start a fight with me because I had a White Sox shirt on. I would say Boston fans are the WORST fans I have every come across. Even the old guy down the aisile was yelling at me.

fenway fans aren't bad. Most are pretty knowledgeable about baseball and you can have a semireasonable conversation about both teams. Granted if you try to rub in a good beating you may end up with a drink thrown on you.........not that i would know or anything

areilly
06-13-2006, 10:27 AM
I'd say the meanest crowds are a tie between Yankee Stadium and Wrigley, although I'll add that the Yankee fans were too busy screaming death threats at their own players to give much grief to the opposing fans, and the fans at Wrigley seem to only lash out at people in either Cardinals or White Sox gear.

I'd describe the others I've been to - Busch, Miller, SkyDome, Metrodome, Great American Ballpark - as some good-natured ribbing at worst, although I've never been to Oakland.

One other thing I'll add: if you were to post this on certain other boards, I imagine people would post that USCF has a pretty tough crowd as well. I don't mean this as a detriment, but something I always took pride in as a Sox fan was how fans didn't let other teams fans' come in and pollute the place with their gear and their signs.

I do apologize to any visiting fans who were traumatized or abused beyond the limits of friendly razzing (and you can't deny that happens here or at any ballpark for that matter); but I will never apologize for the chants of "God Hates Cleveland" or "Go Back To Lakeview."

0o0o0
06-13-2006, 10:35 AM
I've heard tons of *******s swearing at families that are fans of the opposing team at the Cell.

Thome25
06-13-2006, 10:41 AM
I semi disagree. My friend is a Twins fan born in Minnisota. She went to a game last year against the Sox and she got harrassed pretty bad. I was there and I was very embarassed since it was her first game there. In turn she never wants to go back again after that experience. I heard it when Toronto was in to.

Dont get me wrong I love that stadium, and our fans, but I would not put us in the friendly fans category.

Let me be the first to apolgize to your friend on behalf of all Sox fans.
I honestly never saw things get that bad all the times I've ever been there. No one deserves to be harrassed like that especially not women and/or children.

I do believe that a vast majority of White Sox fans are friendly, good-natured fans who are knowledgeable about baseball, and most of the time do not attack opposing teams fans.

Friendly rivalries are what make this whole thing fun. Without the opposing teams and their fans, this thing would not be as interesting. So, while there is supposed to be good sportsmanship on the field of play, there should also be good sportsmanship in the stands too.

Uncle_Patrick
06-13-2006, 10:42 AM

I think every ball park is going to have a similar story. I'd say that (excluding interactions with Cubs fans) 95% of the time, I've seen fans of other teams get by at our stadium without a problem. However, I've seen fans of other teams get harassed at the Cell and I've seen fans of other teams doing the harassing at the Cell. There's always someone somewhere looking for the flimsiest reason to be a jerk.

0o0o0
06-13-2006, 10:48 AM
I think every ball park is going to have a similar story. I'd say that (excluding interactions with Cubs fans) 95% of the time, I've seen fans of other teams get by at our stadium without a problem. However, I've seen fans of other teams get harassed at the Cell and I've seen fans of other teams doing the harassing at the Cell. There's always someone somewhere looking for the flimsiest reason to be a jerk.
It all depends on who you happen to encounter.

06-13-2006, 10:49 AM
I like the Red Sox fans the best. I went there in 2004 and I thought their fans were great. Super nice people. My friend Mary and I ended up going to party with a few of them. Everyone we talked to were nice right down to the people that worked there. At no point did the fans make comments when we rooted fo the Sox. It was a great experience all around.

I go to Boston every year for the Sox series....I've received my fair share of "Chicago Sucks" remarks, but mostly, as long as you aren't gloating, they leave you alone....if you walk into any teams home stadium wearing the teams they are playing gear, you are going to get crap thrown at you, it's part of the fun....be respectful, chher for you team, but don't don't make a ass out of yourself, or the natives will get restless...

itsnotrequired
06-13-2006, 10:54 AM
be respectful, chher for you team, but don't don't make a ass out of yourself, or the natives will get restless...

This is the key statement. I wonder how much truth there is to some of these "I was just sitting there and was totally attacked" sort of stories...

jenn2080
06-13-2006, 11:01 AM
This is the key statement. I wonder how much truth there is to some of these "I was just sitting there and was totally attacked" sort of stories...

hmm that sounds like someone i know here........

brewcrew/chisox
06-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Brewer fans are the friendliest in the league

Seriously, the worst fans I've ever encountered were Bear's fans. I was at a Bears/Colts game a few years back and there were a couple of guys in Colt's Jerseys sitting a couple of rows down from us. The peope around them were relentless, and not good natured stuff either. Guys were throwing stuff at these guys during the whole game. It was REALLY uncomfortable.

sullythered
06-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Seriously, the worst fans I've ever encountered were Bear's fans.
Yeah, I AM a Bears fan, and I hate going to the games. As far as baseball goes, it's the Urinal for the worst. They are a bunch of elitist (ha) drunken jags.

White Sox Randy
06-13-2006, 11:27 AM
I'm pretty sure that if you are an opposing team's fan there is a chance that you could be sitting near some ***holes in any ballpark.

That makes the experience pretty bad. I'm going to Cincy soon so I'll find out about their fans.

HomeFish
06-13-2006, 11:28 AM
The Red Sox fans who go to CWS vs BOS games at US Cellular Field are pretty obnoxious and annoying. But I suspect that is because most of them are bandwagoners and Cub fans in disguise.

I have to disagree with anyone who says Boston fans in Boston itself, and I say that as a confirmed Red Sox hater. One time, I wore a Yankee cap to a game at Fenway, and all the ribbing I received was extremely intelligent, clever, and funny. Except for that one guy who spilled beer on me, but he was drunk and it might even have been accidental.

soxfan13
06-13-2006, 11:50 AM
The friendliest, I can honestly say I have run into, were the fans I sat with in Houston for the World Series. Sat 5th row right next to Houstons dugout for both games and the majority of the fans were there for both games and we had a ball. Talking about both cities, good natured ribbing. Took pictures with a bunch of them and actually exchanged some email addresses with some.:D: The nastiest for me was my run in with some Boston fans back in 1987, at fenway. I know it was just a few but it gave me a bad impression of all Boston fans, since then.

minutia
06-13-2006, 11:55 AM

I noticed last season that there seemed to be more of this kind of agressive behavior in the stands the hotter the Sox were. Honestly I think many of these so called "Sox fans" were more than likely bandwagon jumpers and were bringing the bad behavior that goes on at their North side park to USCF. All in all everyone is pretty good, unless the opposite fan starts first but from what I have observed they really had to start for any repricussions.

mwc44
06-13-2006, 12:08 PM
For me, Toronto, Anaheim, Minnesota and Kansas City were all welcoming places to see the Sox play. Teasing and ribbing occured, but a toast to our teams usually concluded the game.

TornLabrum
06-13-2006, 12:19 PM
From my personal experience, I've found that if you're not a jerk, fans won't give you static.

Wrigley Field: I went there for several of the early Cubs-Sox series, and never had a bit of trouble. Of course I wasn't in the bleachers, either lower deck under the skyboxes, whatever those seats are called, or upper deck. The closest I ever came to any hassles was a drunk outside the ballpark. I just walked away. I don't even think he was aware I did.

Minnesota: I've been there for several games. Fans were friendly and interested in my thoughts about the division race.

Milwaukee: Very friendly fans.

Detroit: I'd say about the same as Minnesota.

Yankee Stadium: Jeff went there with a friend for a couple of games a year or two back. The first game's seats were in the bleachers where the fans are supposedly maniacs. They sat there and didn't call anymore attention to themselves other than their caps and jackets and weren't hassled at all.

vegyrex
06-13-2006, 12:36 PM
The only park I've been to the most outside of the Cell has been Fenway. Never had a problem wearing Sox hat or jacket there.

Uncle_Patrick
06-13-2006, 01:04 PM
The Red Sox fans who go to CWS vs BOS games at US Cellular Field are pretty obnoxious and annoying. But I suspect that is because most of them are bandwagoners and Cub fans in disguise.

There is definitely an element of truth to that. Same when the Yankees come to town.

PaulDrake
06-13-2006, 01:09 PM
In today's world you can have a bad experience in any ball park. That being said I give the fans in Pittsburgh, Detroit and Atlanta a thumbs up. We had a 7 game package at Comerica for their inaugural year (2000), including a 4-29-00 game against the Sox. We enjoyed ourselves in Detroit, even when we openly and loudly cheered for the Sox. Detroit is a great sports town IMHO. I know the city is basically a disaster area, I've been all around the town. I'm talking about the ball park experience only. Pittsburgh is an old school, smash mouth blue collar town. I attended many games in old Forbes Field, Three Rivers, and PNC. Pittsburghers are some of the friendliest people in North America, and if you have the right attitude you can enjoy an ahrn city with a Pirate fan and talk about the plight of a once great franchise. Now Steeler games, that's a different story. I've attended games in Atlanta since the early 70s and Braves fans have come a long way. They are not the unsophisticated rubes they were once made out to be. You don't find the fervor or passion that you do in the older rust belt cities of the north, but Atlanta has a lot of good knowledgeable baseball fans who won't hit you on the head just for cheering for the opposition. One qualifier here. There are lots of ex Chicagoans in Atlanta, and it seems like most of them cheer for the cubs. Some can be noticeably obnoxious at cubs Braves games in Atlanta.

Frankly Missing
06-13-2006, 01:10 PM
As far as the Central Division stadiums, The Jake is not a friendly place.

Cleveland fans can't get over the 90's. They still feel entitled to first place and hate everyone that is above them in the standings.

The other AL Central stadiums have been alright.

Camden Yards and The Tropicana, no problem.

Boston and Yankee fans were OK. They were too busy trying to talk over each other to be bothered with opposing team fans.

Cardinal fans are great.

Marlin fans, no appreciation of the game itself. They cheered when C Lee broke his hitting streak. I like to think Sox fans would give a player the polite golf clap in a similar situation.

Phillie fans, watch your back, literally.

champagne030
06-13-2006, 01:11 PM
[quote=TornLabrum]From my personal experience, I've found that if you're not a jerk, fans won't give you static.

That's what I've found from the Urinal, Milw, Minn, Clev, Det, KC, NY and Baltimore. You'll never be sure if someone is trying to have a little good natured banter or if they're a punk trying to start something else, but if you respond with a "go **** yourself" you certainly cannot complain if things escalate. If you're going to go into an opposing stadium wearing Sox colors then you need to have a little thick skin.

palehozenychicty
06-13-2006, 01:12 PM
Yankee Stadium. It's really not close either.

It really isn't. But it makes beating them that much sweeter when we do, like last year's mid-summer series. :D:

pdimas
06-13-2006, 01:16 PM

Bull**** the only time I was harassed by guys I was under the scoreboard in the bleachers and after talking ball with them they stopped and were cool. Besided that the only ones that gave me hell were girls and you know what that wasn't so bad because it was an "in". Everytime that happened we ended up drinking together. Then again it could just be cause im Mexican and I look like a vato loco.

jenn2080
06-13-2006, 01:19 PM
Bull**** the only time I was harassed by guys I was under the scoreboard in the bleachers and after talking ball with them they stopped and were cool. Besided that the only ones that gave me hell were girls and you know what that wasn't so bad because it was an "in". Everytime that happened we ended up drinking together. Then again it could just be cause im Mexican and I look like a vato loco.

I agree...my brother, friends and I all went to the Cubs game a few weeks ago. My brother did not know he was going to the game until two hours before going. He was out and about and was wearing a Sox hat. Needless to say he went to the game with the hat on and NOT ONE person said anything to him.

It is not only the Cubs fans that come to the stadium with a Cubs hat on it is Sox fans too. My brother and I were driving near the stadium about a month ago and we saw a guy coming out of the game with a Sox jersey on and a hat.

FARMEO
06-13-2006, 01:25 PM
I had a bad experience at Wrigley, but that is expected. When I saw the Sox in St. Louis, a group of drunk Bud workers started throwing peanuts at us. The Cardinal fan I was talking with turned around and told the Bud workers not knock it off because we were "cool fans".

Britt Burns
06-13-2006, 01:40 PM
A bunch of Angel fans were giving me crap during Game 4 of the ALCS in anaheim, which is weird because I didn't hear a peep for Game 3. Then again, I'd probably get surly if my team was getting their asses handed to them like the Sox did to the Angels.

Most polite? Well, I have to say Houston, although it might just have been the shellshock.

C-Dawg
06-13-2006, 01:43 PM
I've really only seen rude fans at Cleveland.

At Wrigley - well, I'd be more inclined to describe them as "uninformed". And by that, I mean I could wear an old 80s "e" hat and not a soul there would realize it was a White Sox hat. Last time I was there I wore the "e" hat and an old 80s shirt with Ozzie Guillen's picture on it and not a soul there realized I was a Sox fan in disguise.

miker
06-13-2006, 01:43 PM
On the other hand, I've noticed the Cell is very tame.
That can't be true...they say the Cell is nothing but drunk hicks in wife-beaters attacking umpires and opposing coaches!

Seriously, the only time I've gotten grief was in the Urinal while wearing a Sox hat. All of my other MLB experiences (STL, BAL, MIN, MIL, SF, COL) never involved the White Sox so I went in wearing neutral colors and there was no opportunity for bad behavior.

The nicest was Colorado, but the Rockies were playing well and the novelty of having a new ballclub hadn't worn off yet.

Zisk77
06-13-2006, 01:44 PM
I've been to KC a handful of times and I find them to be the politest fans (the Royals were actually good opne of those years too). They told you where to go it town to eat or party. They asked you your opinions on the Sox players that they didn't know who were pinch hitting or coming in to relieve a pitcher. they would hold conversations with you between innings and they were knowledgeable as well.

Also I remember when Baines hit a 3-run hr - his 325, which is a milestone of sorts. By the time Baines reached 2b the PA Guy announced it to the park. By the time baines reached home plate The royal fans gave Harold a standing Ovation. :D:

Atlanta fans are terrible. They aren't mean. They just go as a social event always milling about distracting you from the game. Nobody knows the score unless you are refferring to the # of beers they haved drunk.:?:

MikeLove
06-13-2006, 01:48 PM
yeah this is a tough question. At the 2 half price games in the series in 2004 when Hunter ran over Burke, Believe me the twins fans weren't being treated so kindly. Other than that nothing really sticks out in my mind as really bad treatment of opposing fans. however, there are numerous cubs fans I wish I would have punched in the face. Why do you insist on wearing cubs gear to a game where the cubs arent playing, then being a loudmouth or having really loud conversations about your job or something else no one cares about??!?!?

The last cubs game I went to was on fathers day in 2004 also I believe against the A's at wrigley. I wanted to wear my sox hat but just decided against it, sat at the game didn't cheer for either team and just enjoyed some good baseball, hell I may have even clapped a few times for the cubs when they did something good because I appreciate the game of baseball! Why can't the cubs fans show the same courtesy?!?! I havent been at 1 game where there hasnt been a cub fan being an ass near where im sitting.

StockdaleForVeep
06-13-2006, 01:51 PM
I went to Camden yards in 2001 and the fans were very nice. No booing of the Sox players.
I went to Fenway in 2002 to see the Sox play the Sox and all the fans seemed to be obsessed with the Yankees.
St Louis Cardinals fans are knowledgeable and don't boo, they can't stand the annoying Cub fans who come to their park.

Very similar to sox fans being obsessed with the cubs(why the hell would u start a cubs suck chant when yer in the playoffs?)

Anyway, havent been there but thru obersvation, Philly has the most unfriendliest ball park

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/dur/EC.DUR.MN1300R4Z.JPG

TheKittle
06-13-2006, 02:03 PM
Before the 2005 ALCS, Angel fans didn't say jack to White Sox fans. In April 2006, we got both good natured and jerkoff comments, because of what happened in the ALCS.

Being subjected to jerkoff behavior at opposing ballparks involves many factors:

Number of people with you. You're level of tolerance. Your size, if you're a big dude, nobody is going to mess with you.

jenn2080
06-13-2006, 02:10 PM
Very similar to sox fans being obsessed with the cubs(why the hell would u start a cubs suck chant when yer in the playoffs?)

Anyway, havent been there but thru obersvation, Philly has the most unfriendliest ball park

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/dur/EC.DUR.MN1300R4Z.JPG

I went to the Red Sox series at Wrigley last year and they started a Yankees suck chant on the way out after the game...They got beat BAD

pdimas
06-13-2006, 02:14 PM
One time I was harrassed to the point of almost getting in a fight with three cubs fans who had surrounded me. But i'm pretty sure that had a lot more to do with the girl they were with. You see we had dated briefly and for some reason or other she had it in for me :rolleyes: . Anyway after her buddies had surrounded me I shot her a smile and told her something to the effect of, "You gotta be kidding me? There are three of them and one of me so chances are they are probably gonna get a few shots in but remember I know everyone that works here (in the bar we were at) and know that no matter what they do to me its gonna end a lot worse for them. :smile: " She, having been there with me before, knew I wasn't bull****ting and quickly grabbed her friends (one of whom I found out was her new bf) and walked away. I went back the girl who I had come in with. :cool:

TDog
06-13-2006, 02:25 PM

Some of this may depend on the people you're sitting around when you go to a game, but I've seen people cheering at the Cell loudly for the visiting team like it was their park and not get hassled. People who go to the park to cheer against the Sox are a different story.

I've been to a lot of games in Anaheim, from 1980 to 1999, and found it a friendly atmosphere. I always wore a Sox cap. Once a man in a wheelchair said he didn't like my team, but he said it in the friendliest of ways.

Really, though, I've never been to a hostile environment to watch the Sox. But I've never seen a game east of Chicago.

PKalltheway
06-13-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you are an opposing team's fan there is a chance that you could be sitting near some ***holes in any ballpark.

That makes the experience pretty bad. I'm going to Cincy soon so I'll find out about their fans.
Fans here in Cincy are pretty cool, but don't make a fool of yourself or they'll get surly quick. I was at a Reds/Dodgers game last year and they had to escort a Dodger fan who was talking **** out of the park because everybody around him was absolutely eating him alive! Sox fans are pretty cool, Brewer fans are ok, but they just seem kinda quiet to me. Maybe that's a good thing. Cub fans...let's not go there. Since Cincinnati is in close proximity to Chicago, we get INVADED everytime those fools come here. During some bad seasons the Reds have had, Cub fans would actually outnumber Reds fans here. We don't really harass Cub fans though. We just sit back in silent disgust and watch them make fools of themselves. As you see, we don't think too highly of Cub fans here!:cool:

RealMenWearBlack
06-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Phillie fans, watch your back, literally.

What if you were wearing a Sox Aaron Rowand jersey?

StockdaleForVeep
06-13-2006, 02:37 PM
What if you were wearing a Sox Aaron Rowand jersey?

Same i presume for people wearin oakland 35's at comiskey. Nothing.

RealMenWearBlack
06-13-2006, 02:40 PM
I agree...my brother, friends and I all went to the Cubs game a few weeks ago. My brother did not know he was going to the game until two hours before going. He was out and about and was wearing a Sox hat. Needless to say he went to the game with the hat on and NOT ONE person said anything to him.

I think a lot of people here probably went to the Urinal before we won the World Series. Most Cubs fans realize they can't talk trash to Sox fans without looking like idiots.

McCuddy
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Been to Sox games at Minnesota and Toronto and never had any problems. Been to non-Sox games at Milwaukee, Detroit, Montreal, and St. Louis, and never had any problems there, either.

Went to Cub games as a kid before the "experience" was marketed, and only got hassled once for keeping score. (It's good to pick on a ten-year-old kid.)
Also used to go to the "Crosstown Classic" when it was an exhibition, and there weren't any problems there, either.

I must not be doing enough taunting.

Craig Grebeck
06-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Having moved to the Boston area this year, I can say that Fenway fans (for the most part, obviously) are the most friendly. I can easily wear my sox gear in there, and have no problems...and having talked to some of those seated around me, they all seem very knowledgeable and respectful

dirty_k
06-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Cheered for the Sox and /or Cubs at Minnesota, Detroit, Cleveland, St. Louis, Milw, Seattle, LA, Anaheim, San Diego, and New York. In NY was asked to show my ticket when others weren't but no big deal and did not have a good feel from those around me but no problems. Some not too antagonistic "sox suck" with a smile to acknowledge my presence in Cleveland but I feel that added to the experience.
I think Chicago fans often embarrass themselves and would put us as the unfriendliest venues that I've been to.
Very excited about Cincy this weekend and interacting with some fans there. I expect them to be friendly although that can be more difficult when there's quite a few opponent fans as I suspect there will be.

vegyrex
06-13-2006, 03:18 PM
Most Cubs fans realize they can't talk trash to Sox fans without looking like idiots.

I don't know about that.

Back in April I was at the post office and one of the clerks noticed my Sox shirt and started talking trash. He felt the need to tell me '06 was going to be the Cubs turn to be champs. :rolleyes:

champagne030
06-13-2006, 03:54 PM
Went to Cub games as a kid before the "experience" was marketed, and only got hassled once for keeping score. (It's good to pick on a ten-year-old kid.)

How dare you pay attention to the game unless you're playing moundball.

Uncle_Patrick
06-13-2006, 04:02 PM
Most Cubs fans realize they can't talk trash to Sox fans without looking like idiots.

I wish...

In my experience, a lot of them were talking trash before the start of the season because their team was "so good" on paper. Now, they just seem to harp on any issue or glitch the Sox might have.

LongLiveFisk
06-13-2006, 04:05 PM

I had a positive experience at Fenway too. Maybe it helps to be female. :tongue: :wink:

C-Dawg
06-13-2006, 04:50 PM
All of my other MLB experiences never involved the White Sox so I went in wearing neutral colors and there was no opportunity for bad behavior.

I wear Sox stuff to games at other parks where the Sox aren't playing, such as Milwaukee, St. Louis, etc, but I make it clear I am rooting for the home team. That way I stay on their good side (and I don't mind out-of-towners wearing stuff for their teams at the Cell as long as they are here to root for the Sox).

If I wanted to root for the visitors I'd wear neutral colors.

DumpJerry
06-13-2006, 05:07 PM
Minnesota: Never got hassled, even when cheering my butt for the Sox or the Bears.

Cleveland: caught some verbal crap (and popcorn) from teenagers, espcially when Juan Gonzalez hit a Grand Slam Walk Off :angry:.

Boston: A friend was at Game 3 of the ALDS last year (lucky bastard!). Got treated pretty good, no problems. I think the Beantown crowd was in a state of shock after el Duque did his thing, however.

Wrigley: Sat in the bleachers for a Cub/Sox game in '04. Sox fans watched the game while the Cub fans drank beer, took off their shirts (the boys), flirted with the girls, danced to "YMCA" and Donna Sumner which were played on the PA, and ignored the game and the Sox fans. They even ignored the Sox fan who tore up a "In Dusty We Trusty" sign when it was obvious the Sox were losing the game.

Coming up: Cincy and Baltimore.

soxwon
06-13-2006, 05:18 PM
Out of all the ballparks I have been to I would have to say that Cleveland fans were the most rude fans out there.

i personally been to the jake atleast 6 games
and each time, i found the fans very friendly, ive had some great discussions
with tribe fans.
i guess you'll find good and bad in every park.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-13-2006, 05:19 PM
How 'bout that discusting park 8 miles to the north?

All I got there was "Sox suck."

LongLiveFisk
06-13-2006, 06:34 PM
All I got there was "Sox suck."

That's creative for them.

I want Mags back
06-13-2006, 10:56 PM
Surprisingly, I though the fans in Detroit were fairly nice. This was back in '03, i believe. The tigers blew a 3 run lead. There fans were just like 'did you ever have a bout that youd come back."

I guess if i was there during hockey season, it would be a different story

IlliniSox4Life
06-13-2006, 11:19 PM
I've been to 4 stadiums (5 if you count old Comiskey): The Cell, Wrigley, Yankee Stadium, and Fenway.

Yankee Stadium was BY FAR the worst. Fenway fans were actually really nice. Had a couple of conversations with some people there and they told us how much they really liked Chicago (the city).

Granted, this might be because of a couple of things:
1) I didn't wear Sox gear when I went to Wrigley. (I went with a friend who was a Cubs fan and I HATE it when my Cubs fan friends come to games with me and wear Cubs stuff, so I respected him and just wore neutral street clothes).
2) I didn't go to Fenway for a Sox-Sox game, it was a BoSox-Reds game.
3) I was at Yankee Stadium for a Yankee-Cubs game and wearing Chicago stuff (Grossman Bears jersey) and with people wearing Cubs gear. They all thought I was a Cubs fan.

So basically, Red Sox fans didn't care because I wasn't playing their team. and Cubs fans didn't know I was a Sox fan.

I still think though that the order would be the same because I was able to observe how Red Sox and Cubs fans treated fans of their opposing teams. I generally like most Red Sox fans as they tend to be pretty knowledgable about baseball.

Rudy Law
06-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Some of the friendliest fans I have run into were Yankee fans....at Yankee Stadium and When I was vending the Cubs-Yankees series at Wrigley.....Twins fans are are not very friendly.....Talked alot of crap...

gaelhound
06-13-2006, 11:56 PM
One time I was harrassed to the point of almost getting in a fight with three cubs fans who had surrounded me. But i'm pretty sure that had a lot more to do with the girl they were with. You see we had dated briefly and for some reason or other she had it in for me :rolleyes: . Anyway after her buddies had surrounded me I shot her a smile and told her something to the effect of, "You gotta be kidding me? There are three of them and one of me so chances are they are probably gonna get a few shots in but remember I know everyone that works here (in the bar we were at) and know that no matter what they do to me its gonna end a lot worse for them. :smile: " She, having been there with me before, knew I wasn't bull****ting and quickly grabbed her friends (one of whom I found out was her new bf) and walked away. I went back the girl who I had come in with. :cool: What a crappy story! at least make up something about knifing one of the buffoons in the mens room!

BV2005
06-14-2006, 12:00 AM
out of the parks i have been to,

US Cellular - my favorite, good food, good fans
Wrigley - the fans will tear you apart if your not a cubs fan
Bush - when i went the fans were cool. i was talking to a few of them and they didn't mind that i was a sox fan at all, they hate the cubs almost as much as sox fans
Jacobs - pretty biased fans, it didn't surprise me when they booed Thome this year, the food wasn't bad though

ComiskeyBrewer
06-14-2006, 02:18 AM
It is not only the Cubs fans that come to the stadium with a Cubs hat on it is Sox fans too. My brother and I were driving near the stadium about a month ago and we saw a guy coming out of the game with a Sox jersey on and a hat.

I would agree with that. I have been to 2 Brewer/Cub games at the Dump this year, and i have seen my fair share of fans wearing Sox gear(a few mixed in some brewers gear too). It happens. Although i have yet to see any of those sox fans start stuff with Cubs fans.

ComiskeyBrewer
06-14-2006, 02:21 AM
Brewer fans are ok, but they just seem kinda quiet to me. Maybe that's a good thing.

That's because we haven't had much to cheer about in the last 12 years!! Come up for a Brewers/Cubs game, or a Brewers/Cardinals game and you will hear Us get pretty loud.

RealMenWearBlack
06-14-2006, 02:38 AM
I don't know about that.

Back in April I was at the post office and one of the clerks noticed my Sox shirt and started talking trash. He felt the need to tell me '06 was going to be the Cubs turn to be champs. :rolleyes:

I honestly don't think I've heard anyone talk trash to me about the Sox since the World Series except about how Barrett punched A.J. and how Brian Anderson should get a longer suspension than Barrett. I'm surprised someone in a customer service position would be so rude.

Layla
06-14-2006, 09:31 AM
I don't know about that.

When I've worked the window at the Post Office, when I see a Sox fan we talk White Sox baseball. When I see a Cubs fan I'm just polite.

Truthfully, right now the Post Office, they are really big on customer service.
If the guy just said the Cubs were going to win in '06, that's not trash.

But, if he was offensive, you can call that Post Office and ask to speak to the Window Supervisor.

kittle42
06-14-2006, 09:42 AM
I could've guessed this would turn into a Cubs thread. They are far from the rudest fans in baseball.

CommanderPudge72
06-14-2006, 11:52 AM
I think our crowd can be pretty rough, but that said, not without provocation.

I have seen some pretty big tussels out in the bleachers. Seemed to especially be rough at the beginning of the year in 04. I remember one game in 04 against the Orioles and Ponson, we won the game about 16-11, but the brawls were the story that night. People were literally diving rows in the bleachers to get to one another.

Carlos Lee spent more time watching the stands than the game...surreal.

The provocation you may ask....there seems to be, at least that I noticed, a compulsion by Cub fans to stand up and proclaim themselves Cub fans and that the Sox are the second team...some will even flip the fans off....bad idea.

Not only do these trolls show up at the Cell (when I guess they don't want to be there), but they have to insult the team....I think at that point, you are poking a bear with a stick proverbally. You should not be physically assualted, but you can't expect a wholesome night at the ball park either.

I think these nimrods may think they are trying to be funny, but they soon learn they totally misconstruyed the situation...much to their dissmay.

Stay away from trolls, and you should be ok...general rule.

:dtroll:

LongLiveFisk
06-14-2006, 11:55 AM
I think our crowd can be pretty rough, but that said, not without provocation.

I have seen some pretty big tussels out in the bleachers. Seemed to especially be rough at the beginning of the year in 04. I remember one game in 04 against the Orioles and Ponson, we won the game about 16-11, but the brawls were the story that night. People were literally diving rows in the bleachers to get to one another.

Carlos Lee spent more time watching the stands than the game...surreal.

The provocation you may ask....there seems to be, at least that I noticed, a compulsion by Cub fans to stand up and proclaim themselves Cub fans and that the Sox are the second team...some will even flip the fans off....bad idea.

Not only do these trolls show up at the Cell (when I guess they don't want to be there), but they have to insult the team....I think at that point, you are poking a bear with a stick proverbally. You should not be physically assualted, but you can't expect a wholesome night at the ball park either.

I think these nimrods may think they are trying to be funny, but they soon learn they totally misconstruyed the situation...much to their dissmay.

Stay away from trolls, and you should be ok...general rule.

:dtroll:

Agree with your statements in general. Love the handle too. Welcome to WSI! :D:

miker
06-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Excessive drinking of alcoholic beverages also causes problems with "fans".

Please drink responsibly...and don't be that drunken drillrod that is celebrating when everyone in the section is really laughing at them. :gulp:

CommanderPudge72
06-14-2006, 12:07 PM
Thanks Long Live Fisk, happy to be here. I can talk Sox all night and into the next day, just give me a beer every hour and a brat every 5.

We are really just playing around the point here though.

You really want to look the beast in the eye. Talk to those people who showed up to the Stadium wearing Red Wings jerseys in the 80's and early 90's...

Those people swam with sharks with porterhouses tied to their swim trunks.

Now that is livin on the edge in a sporting arena people.:gulp:

MrEd
06-14-2006, 10:51 PM
I've been to all the stadiums in California and haven't had a problem in any of them. Most of the fans are pretty knowledgable about baseball and will chat and drink with you.

I haven't noticed Wrigley to be bad either, except once I went during a Cards-Cubs game. The Cubs actually ended up winning the game off a walk-off homerun and as we were leaving I saw a group of fresh-off-the-bus frat boys harrasing some 60 and 70 year old ladies in Cards gear. It was very embarrasing for anyone who saw it. But on the whole, Cubs fans are pretty wimpy.

My experience of seeing other fans at the Cell is that for the most part the Sox fans treat them good. Once in a while (generally in the bleachers) I do see fights, especially if some jerk wore Cubs gear to a Sox-O's game. But I have also seen other Sox fans step up and tell the Sox fan doing the harrasing to shut the hell up.

I have just one more thing to add. Red Sox fans are without a doubt the worst guests in baseball. I used to think it was the Yankees, but my experience with Red Sox fans in visiting ballparks has taught me otherwise.