PDA

View Full Version : Pablo at SS???

StatHead21
06-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Pablo played a few games at SS last season and didn't do bad. It wouldn't kill the Sox to try him out there for a few games and see what they've got.

jabrch
06-13-2006, 12:09 AM
Pablo played a few games at SS last season and didn't do bad. It wouldn't kill the Sox to try him out there for a few games and see what they've got.

Kill us? No - but it would be assinine to do so. Uribe and Cintron are more than competent to play SS for us. Ozuna is not. There is no reason whatsoever to have Ozuna start games at SS unless we have injuries. He's just not a SS.

QCIASOXFAN
06-13-2006, 12:14 AM
Kill us? No - but it would be assinine to do so. Uribe and Cintron are more than competent to play SS for us. Ozuna is not. There is no reason whatsoever to have Ozuna start games at SS unless we have injuries. He's just not a SS. I would be for it if we didn't have 2 good SS already. I wonder if Pablo can catch to?

StatHead21
06-13-2006, 12:25 AM
Pablo is performing much better than Cintron and Uribe. He's a brutal leftfielder and he gets time out there. All I'm saying is getting him a few starts at SS to get him a few more AB's would benefit the Sox.

chisoxfanatic
06-13-2006, 12:32 AM
Pablo is performing much better than Cintron and Uribe. He's a brutal leftfielder and he gets time out there. All I'm saying is getting him a few starts at SS to get him a few more AB's would benefit the Sox.

I'd wait until it was time to play KC before trying that out. He's gelled pretty well at the Hot Corner. Joe might need more time off in the future to keep healthy, so he'll get playing time. He is mediocre at fielding in left; but, I think he can do better with Brian Anderson out there beside him, now that BA's learned some valuable fielding lessons during that Sunday afternoon game against Texas...He's no worse than "one handed catch" Timo!

jabrch
06-13-2006, 12:52 AM

Pablo isn't a SS. He shouldn't be playing there. He's also not going to hit .400 over the course of the season. In fact, he probably doesn't hit .300 over the course of a season. He's a good bench player.

He can not play SS - he'd cost us more than we'd get from him. Uribe plays awesome D. Cintron fields well and is hitting well also. There is no way Ozuna should be getting any PT at SS. 3B, 2B, or OF. That's it. You don't weaken yourself at SS to bat freaking Pablo Ozuna.

StatHead21
06-13-2006, 01:15 AM
Pablo isn't a SS. He shouldn't be playing there. He's also not going to hit .400 over the course of the season. In fact, he probably doesn't hit .300 over the course of a season. He's a good bench player.

He can not play SS - he'd cost us more than we'd get from him. Uribe plays awesome D. Cintron fields well and is hitting well also. There is no way Ozuna should be getting any PT at SS. 3B, 2B, or OF. That's it. You don't weaken yourself at SS to bat freaking Pablo Ozuna.

Pablo played 99 innings at SS last year and was rated a +2(slightly above average) in John Dewan's "Fielding Bible". Cintron was the same. Uribe has struggled with the bat and with his arm this season. Getting Pablo more AB's while he's red hot would highly benefit the Sox instead of Mr. swing-at-everthing.

TaylorStSox
06-13-2006, 02:37 AM
STOP THE MADNESS!!!

This thread's just stupid. I'm sorry. I really am, but I can't help it. There's so many bad Sox fans right now. It's like they've never followed an MLB season.

StatHead21
06-13-2006, 02:47 AM
STOP THE MADNESS!!!

This thread's just stupid. I'm sorry. I really am, but I can't help it. There's so many bad Sox fans right now. It's like they've never followed an MLB season.

Pablo Ozuna played 99 innings at SS last season, 65 in left 261 at 3rd and 29 at 2b. He was best at SS, all I am saying is mix him in with Uribe and Cintron while he's red hot, and when he cools off he can go back to pinch running and fighting line drives in left field.

KRS1
06-13-2006, 04:02 AM
Pablo Ozuna played 99 innings at SS last season, 65 in left 261 at 3rd and 29 at 2b. He was best at SS, all I am saying is mix him in with Uribe and Cintron while he's red hot
No he wasnt. Not even fielding%-wise (1.000 in LF and 1B), let alone how good he was at the position to the viewers eye. IMO, he should be strictly used at 2b and 3b, but Ozzie seems to think he can pass in LF. Hey, like I said in another thread, maybe he's working his *** off to get good at SS, but from what I saw last year, we'd be better off not having his minus D at an extremely important position. I would honestly love it if he proves me and everyone here wrong and flashes some leather at both SS and LF, and I really hope he works a lot this off season at both.

TornLabrum
06-13-2006, 06:02 AM
Pablo played 99 innings at SS last year and was rated a +2(slightly above average) in John Dewan's "Fielding Bible". Cintron was the same. Uribe has struggled with the bat and with his arm this season. Getting Pablo more AB's while he's red hot would highly benefit the Sox instead of Mr. swing-at-everthing.

Two words: SAMPLE SIZE.

TornLabrum
06-13-2006, 06:04 AM
STOP THE MADNESS!!!

Check the user name of the initiator of this thread. It will tell you something important.

Tekk
06-13-2006, 07:17 AM
Crede and Dye both played shortstop last year, lets have them platoon there.

wassagstdu
06-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Pablo at DH -- and Thome at short!

rdwj
06-13-2006, 08:11 AM
It wouldn't kill the Sox to try him out there for a few games and see what they've got.

Ya, it might. Why on earth would you start the third best guy you have available at ANY position?

SoxFan76
06-13-2006, 08:21 AM
I would be for it if we didn't have 2 good SS already. I wonder if Pablo can catch to?

Last year Ozzie said he was the emergency catcher.

digdagdug23
06-13-2006, 08:37 AM
:bong:

Just say no to drugs.

batmanZoSo
06-13-2006, 08:41 AM
Kill us? No - but it would be assinine to do so. Uribe and Cintron are more than competent to play SS for us. Ozuna is not. There is no reason whatsoever to have Ozuna start games at SS unless we have injuries. He's just not a SS.

Pablo was a top SS prospect for the Marlins at one point. He's much more fit to play there than left field. The reason I wouldn't play him there is because like you said, we already have two in front of him.

yesenia
06-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Last year Ozzie said he was the emergency catcher.

i think pablo can do well all around. hes quick, can hit, and has fielding BUT I would much rather have guys out there that specialize in a given position. Starting him at different spots now and then isnt bad but Id much rather have him as back up like a secret weapon that its much of a secret anymore.

GOGOGOPODS
06-13-2006, 10:13 AM
Pablo is only and emergency SS, as Cintron and Uribe do a very good job over there and there is no need for trying Pablo at SS. Pablo does a good job at 2B, 3B, and I guess in the outfield(besides a few of those, well lets call them little league errors). No Pablo at SS

champagne030
06-13-2006, 11:13 AM

Thanks for the tip that John Dewan doesn't know how to translate defense into stats and his "Fielding Bible" is a steaming pile of bull****.

Minnie Me
06-13-2006, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the tip that John Dewan doesn't know how to translate defense into stats and his "Fielding Bible" is a steaming pile of bull****.

Fielding stats the most unreliable measure in all of baseball. Big Red Subcliff said the other day the Sox were in the middle of the pack in AL defense. Ha, as we all know the Sox are superior defense team, strong up the middle (with BA) and strong in all corners with no defensive black holes when our regular lineup is playing. We also have several top notch fielding pitchers and since good pitching is the best defense of all, in summary we HAVE A GREAT DEFENSE.
You will not be seeing Mackowack in CF in any important games going forward this season. The Mack effect in CF is now over other than blowouts, or late inning replacements. Mack is not really supersub material ala Del Unser the original supersub.

hawkjt
06-13-2006, 01:28 PM
What is good is feeling confident whenever I see any of our subs in the lineup. Right now Ozuna,cintron,mack and even widger are hitting better than the guys they replace cept widg.

Now thats a bench. Even more than last year this is truly a 15 man everyday lineup. mix and match managers delight. Gload is really the only fifth wheel on this team. It feels good. it has to be a fun team to play on with everyone pulling for one another since they know they will get to play. Heard subcliff say he saw BA watching videio and mack came by and was helping him breakdown his swing.

Saw burls rubbing macks head after the win last nite as they walked off the field- mack has fit like a glove on this team.

caulfield12
06-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Dye is above average in RF, although nowhere close to his Gold Glove days in terms of his arm or mobility....Anderson is a Top 6-8 CFer, Mackowiak a bottom 6-8 CFer (so they cancel out in a platoon, meaning average)....Pods, is, at best, an average LF...maybe slightly above MLB average for LF

Crede and Uribe are capable of Gold Glove caliber play, Iguchi is above average at 2B and Konerko is average or slightly above at 1B...

Pierzynski gets points for game management and repoire with pitchers, downgrade for weak throwing arm...overall, above average (10-15 in MLB)

I guess the only real holes we have are the outfield (with Mackowiak playing, especially) and AJ's throwing/pitchers holding runners on....although AJ is nowhere close to Victor Martinez bad in throwing out opposing runners

Iwritecode
06-13-2006, 02:17 PM
I should know this but I'm going to ask anyway. What is the difference between playing SS and 2B?

I've done both and besides the difference in distance to first base and which way you have to turn to throw the ball (especially on a DP), is there really all that much difference?

INSox56
06-13-2006, 02:28 PM
Pablo was a top SS prospect for the Marlins at one point. He's much more fit to play there than left field. The reason I wouldn't play him there is because like you said, we already have two in front of him.

I find it funny how a lot of people jump down people's throats on the boards and berate them while, in fact, he has a slight point. Evidently Pablo has played a good SS at one point in his career. I'm NOT agreeing and saying we should start him because, like batman said...we have two in front of him and he can play elsewhere. I will say that he shouldn't be attacked and called an idiot for a simple thought...which...turned out to have some validity...

caulfield12
06-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Well, shortstops need to have a lot more range, as well as having more agility and quickness from side to side.

3B can be slow (see Crede) as long as they have a good first step and reactions.

Both need good hands and obviously the strongest arms on the infield....but SS also has to turn the double play like an acrobat sometimes. This is not the type of position a Crede could play easily because of his lack of footspeed and general athleticism. Fields might be a little better, but it's not going to happen. M. Morse was eventually moved by the Mariners to the outfield, and he's a much better athlete than either Fields or Crede. There aren't very many SS's you can say aren't among the best athletes on the field...but think of the average body style of an MLB 3B (think Aramis Ramirez here) and imaging him ranging deep into the hole and throwing from his knees or a standing still position. Usually, 3B take a couple of crow hops or wind up before throwing...shortstops need to get rid of the ball more quickly, think Omar Vizquel and his glove to hand to throwing transition that just barely gets there in time every play, or Eckstein, for example.

SS's also need to make that play on the ball hit over or around the mound in the vicinity of 2B....think Crede makes that play that Uribe pulled off to end the WS? Not a chance.

And they also have to cover a lot more ground down the foul lines, into the outfield and taking relay throws as well.

fuzzy_patters
06-13-2006, 03:13 PM
From what I have seen, Pablo is too mechanical to play shortstop on a regular basis. However, I do think he should play there on occasion. As well as he is hitting, he could be a real asset if he plays regularly enough to stay hot at the plate. IMO, Ozzie should rotate him between left, right, third, second, and short until his bat cools off. He should be doing the same thing with Cintron.

edit: Obviously, Cintron would not play left or right because I don't think he has ever played outfield that I can recall.

DickAllen72
06-13-2006, 04:05 PM
Just a quick point regarding Ozuna at the plate:

He has hit very well at every level he has played. While nobody is expecting him to hit .400, his solid hitting is no fluke.

Ozzie should continue to get him AB's by playing him at 3B, 2B, LF, SS, DH, etc.

kwolf68
06-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Uribe had 2 hits last night, he may be starting to come out of his slumber.

His 2nd hit was exceptionally good, because he was down in the count and just went the other way with the pitch...he became a HITTER, instead of just trying to hit the ball.

Uribe will end up around .250-.260 this year with 15 or so homers as the usual...That means he'll catch fire at some point, bank on it. His defense is too good to leave sitting.

BadBobbyJenks
06-13-2006, 04:45 PM
:threadblows:

seriously Ozuna at short?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?
insane

SCarolina_Ron
06-13-2006, 05:29 PM
Just remember that for World Champions the bench is just as important as position players (Especially in NL parks). Ozzie's got roles for all 25 guys with reasons for them. He's earned my trust and I don't see any use in playing what if unless there's talk about what it does to the bench. Personally, I want Uribe out there for defense (plus his bat is coming around the past few games). Ozuna has been awesome coming off the bench and filling in for Crede.

southside-b-n-r
06-13-2006, 07:45 PM
You will lose something defensively, but I think they need to get Pablo in the lineup more if he keeps hitting as well as he has been. Defensive loss. Hits and on base speed gained.

KRS1
06-13-2006, 07:47 PM
You will lose something defensively, but I think they need to get Pablo in the lineup more if he keeps hitting as well as he has been. Defensive loss. Hits and on base speed gained.

:tsk: I hope that name isnt what I think it is, or youll have a real short time here.

southside-b-n-r
06-13-2006, 08:04 PM
Oops! Had not thought of that. They are intials and I did not mean that. Sorry.