PDA

View Full Version : Second half rotation order

munchman33
06-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Okay, say its the all-star break. And none of our starters pitched in the game (I know, not likely). How're you lining our rotation the rest of the way? Think anybody's getting bumped for McCarthy?

I'd go:

Contreras
Buehrle
Vasquez
Garcia
Garland

Ol' No. 2
06-12-2006, 06:02 PM
The only reason I can see that it matters is to have the pitchers you want lined up for the post-season. And I'm too lazy to count back.

munchman33
06-12-2006, 06:05 PM
The only reason I can see that it matters is to have the pitchers you want lined up for the post-season. And I'm too lazy to count back.

hahahahaha

Seriously though, it could mean the difference in finishing the division off a few days sooner. Which means being able to line things up for the post season in the last few days. Which was crucial to the playoff run last year.

Also, remember Ozzie sent Contreras out the first day after the break. And he became our ace in the second half.

thomas35forever
06-12-2006, 06:06 PM
I listed the same rotation last night except I had Buehrle and Vazquez switched.

oeo
06-12-2006, 06:46 PM
Where ever it leaves off the first half, continue it in the second half. Everyone is already getting extra rest, no need for even more rest.

sox1970
06-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Contreras will be pitching Sunday before the break (barring rainouts). The All Star break is four days for the Sox. They open up in New York on Friday. I'd go:

Vazquez
Buehrle
Garcia
Contreras
Garland

batmanZoSo
06-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Okay, say its the all-star break. And none of our starters pitched in the game (I know, not likely). How're you lining our rotation the rest of the way? Think anybody's getting bumped for McCarthy?

I'd go:

Contreras
Buehrle
Vasquez
Garcia
Garland

Ditto.

I never understood Garcia being 2 in the first place. That's the order of quality this year as you put it.

batmanZoSo
06-12-2006, 07:11 PM
Where ever it leaves off the first half, continue it in the second half. Everyone is already getting extra rest, no need for even more rest.

How is more rest a bad thing at least in the long run? Maybe after a 7, 8 day layoff there's some rust, but it pays off in October. These guys threw more innings than anyone else last year.

jongarlandlover
06-12-2006, 07:12 PM
I never understood Garcia being 2 in the first place. That's the order of quality this year as you put it.

i have to agree. i was always wondering why mark and jose weren't 1-2.

gf2020
06-12-2006, 07:17 PM
Eh. I would align my rotation to maximize the starts of Jose and Mark against the Tigers and Indians.

sox1970
06-12-2006, 08:49 PM
Eh. I would align my rotation to maximize the starts of Jose and Mark against the Tigers and Indians.

Like I said, go:

Vazquez (Det 3, Cle 1)
Buehrle (Det 3, Cle 1)
Garcia (Det 3, Cle 1)
Contreras (Det 3, Cle 2)
Garland (Det 1, Cle 2)

Chips
06-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Contreras should get the start in the All Star game. Especially if he pitches like he did tonight over his next few starts.

DickAllen72
06-12-2006, 09:14 PM

I'd go:

Contreras
Buehrle
Vasquez
Garcia
Garland

You got it.

The only way McCarthy gets into the rotation is due to injury/trade.

hawkjt
06-13-2006, 12:15 AM
If Jose is scheduled to pitch on Sunday- could he even pitch one inning to start the all star game?

chisoxfanatic
06-13-2006, 12:18 AM
Contreras should get the start in the All Star game. Especially if he pitches like he did tonight over his next few starts.

Agreed, which means he doesn't pitch any sooner than Saturday or Sunday in the Bronx.

oeo
06-13-2006, 12:20 AM
How is more rest a bad thing at least in the long run? Maybe after a 7, 8 day layoff there's some rust, but it pays off in October. These guys threw more innings than anyone else last year.
I just don't like changing it, there's really no real reason to do so. Most teams end up altering their rotations anyway, through the span of the second half. There's no guarantee that our #1 will face our opponent's #1, so what's the point? Look at the Tigers series, Verlander is their #5 starter, but he has actually been their best and most consistent starter...and he faced our best in Contreras. Just give all the guys the same rest, and send them out there in order.

chisoxfanatic
06-13-2006, 12:23 AM
I just don't like changing it, there's really no real reason to do so.

If it allows for guys like Contreras and Buehrle to face our divisional foes, then you have to do it.

oeo
06-13-2006, 12:33 AM
If it allows for guys like Contreras and Buehrle to face our divisional foes, then you have to do it.
I still think any of our guys are capable of handling any team, at any time. Garland, in my eyes, has way underachieved (he isn't even his norm pre-2005). And Freddy has had a few scattered bad starts, but I don't think it will continue.

Of course the ultimate decision will come from the organization. I'm not going to complain, but anyone in that rotation can handle any team. And what if other teams do not do the same. So, we could have Contreras against our opponent's #4, and Buehrle against their #5. Then we have Vazquez against their #1, and Freddy against their #2...if it's a four game series. I would rather have Contreras against their #1, but there is no way to set it up that way. Every team is going to do it differently, so there's really no point.

santo=dorf
06-13-2006, 05:41 AM

I'd go:

Contreras
Buehrle
Vasquez
Garcia
Garland
Jorge Vasquez has barely pitched for the Atlanta Braves and now you want him to be our #3 starter?:?: