PDA

View Full Version : Trying to remember Dick Allen's roof shot - anyone?

CheapSeats
06-12-2006, 03:53 PM
Hey there everyone.

One of my earliest memories of the White Sox was when my Dad took me to a game in the early 70's, I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. Red Pinstripe years (best uniforms, ever :supernana:).

Anyway, I swear I remember Dick Allen hitting a roof shot, vaguely to right-center field. I've always had this memory, but I'm wondering if it is the exaggeration of a young boy's memory or that it really happened. I *think* it happened, but are there any other fans out there who remember such a thing?

I can't remember who they were playing.

Anyone?

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2006, 04:08 PM
I wasn't alive back then and never saw Dick Allen play in any "real" games. However, I did see him hit a mammoth home run into the center field seats just under the scoreboard at the Urinal during the 1990 Old Timers' Game (held the day before the 1990 All Star Game). Unreal.

RKMeibalane
06-12-2006, 04:10 PM
I think Lip knows a lot about this event, as I remember him talking about it several times.

Pequod
06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Related question: Does anyone know of a website or book that lists roof shots at old Comiskey? Would be neat to see them all listed in one place.

CheapSeats
06-12-2006, 04:55 PM
Great, maybe the "Lip" will chime in :D:. I'm still fairly sure it happened, but more info would be great. And info on all the roof shots would be cool.

And I'm not at all surprised that he hit one in 90 either!

TDog
06-12-2006, 06:08 PM
I don't have a press guide from the Old Comiskey years. I'm sure there was a page about roof shots and center field bleacher shots. I believe Dick Allen was the only player to record both, at least before they moved home plate and Luzinski and Kittle hit a bunch of roof shots.

I was at the park on a Sunday afternoon for the Tom Egan roof shot. I saw Allen's roof shot on television. As I recall, Allen's was hit to left. It was a night game relatively early in the season when I was in high school, I believe. I remember it as 1972. If it was in 1973, it would have had to have been early in the season, though. Mostly I remember the lousy television camera work and White Sox fans on WMAQ complaining that Allen struck out too much, and the occasional home run wasn't worth it. Allen's bleachers shot was on a Wednesday afternoon against Lindy McDaniel of the Yankees, probably in August. Harry Caray was broadcasting the game from the bleachers that afternoon.

People who don't remember sitting in the bleachers as late as the 1970s (in 1972 it cost you $1, and they gave you a coupon, not a ticket) can't appreciate how large the ballpark played in those days.

TheKittle
06-12-2006, 06:36 PM
Hey there everyone.

One of my earliest memories of the White Sox was when my Dad took me to a game in the early 70's, I was maybe 6 or 7 years old. Red Pinstripe years (best uniforms, ever :supernana:).

Anyway, I swear I remember Dick Allen hitting a roof shot, vaguely to right-center field. I've always had this memory, but I'm wondering if it is the exaggeration of a young boy's memory or that it really happened. I *think* it happened, but are there any other fans out there who remember such a thing?

Anyone?

I have Goodbye Old Friend handy since I got Ventura autograph on Sat. Dick Allen hit a roofshot vs Mike Cuellar of the Baltimore Orioles on May 1, 1973.

TommyJohn
06-12-2006, 06:56 PM
I don't have a press guide from the Old Comiskey years. I'm sure there was a page about roof shots and center field bleacher shots. I believe Dick Allen was the only player to record both,

Jimmie Foxx, Hank Greenberg and Richie Zisk also did both.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2006, 07:05 PM
Ask and ye shall receive.

It was a night game and the air was heavy to boot when Allen blasted his shot off Mike Cueller.

Those who were part of the action thought that what Cueller threw was a "Cuban Forkball..." otherwise know as a spitter that didn't drop (at least not until it landed on the roof!

The blast by the way went over the left - left center field part of Comiskey park. I remember watching this.

Lip

CheapSeats
06-12-2006, 08:19 PM
Awesome, thanks guys! Now that I think about it, it did seem to be left or left center, not right.

We need more throwback nights with uni's, and they need to wear the red pinstripes...

PeteWard
06-13-2006, 05:32 AM
I think Allen hit 2roofers. I saw in person John Mayberry of KC blast one that hit the facade of the roof and I swear it was still rising--a rocket off Stan Bahnsen I think, but it didn't make the roof.
They actually had little red and white signs for a few years with the name and year of each roof top homer placed approximately where they went out. How they could know where those early homers of Jimmy Foxx of Grennberg' went out I don't know. But their names were up there. There were no more than 7 or 8 in 1975 or so.

As for center, even hitting the wall in the old park was rare. Saw Allen, Oscar Gamble and Jim Rice all do it, either live or on Ch 44. I don't remember Zisk doing both though.

CheapSeats
06-13-2006, 07:30 AM
YES...yes, I remember the little red signs! Son of a gun good call. You are right too, there were very few of them.

Ah Oscar Gamble and Channel 44...memories...

:harry&jimmy

Parrothead
06-13-2006, 07:52 AM
Hey there everyone.

Anyone?

Was not there and don't remember it. However, I was there for 3 of Kittles roofers.

tick53
06-13-2006, 07:59 PM
I remember Allens rooftopper but I couldn't remember who the pitcher was.
I got to see a Kittletopper at the old park too!:bandance: . Allens on TV.

(don't forget The Bull!)

Timmy D's
06-13-2006, 09:02 PM
I remember Greg Luzinski puttin' one up there when I was a boy. Also remeber Kittle gettin one.

Also, ahhh yes WSNS 44 flashback, Haaa, Good times!!!:bandance:

Nellie_Fox
06-14-2006, 01:32 AM
Luzinski and Kittle got their roofers after home plate was moved forward ten feet. It doesn't seem like a lot, but apparently it was, because it was a rare occurrence prior, and there were quite a few after.

FarWestChicago
06-14-2006, 10:44 PM
Nobody, and I mean nobody, hit the ball harder than Dick Allen. Not even any of today's 'roid freaks. :cool:

TornLabrum
06-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Nobody, and I mean nobody, hit the ball harder than Dick Allen. Not even any of today's 'roid freaks. :cool:

There are those who say his line shot to the CF bleachers was still rising.

Nellie_Fox
06-15-2006, 01:35 AM
There are those who say his line shot to the CF bleachers was still rising.I not only remember it that way, but I also remember the ball jumping about three times on its way out. He hit it so hard he took all the spin off the ball, and it was acting like a 140 MPH knuckleball.

If any player today picked up Allen's bat, they'd have trouble dragging it to the plate. If I remember correctly, he'd start the season with a 42 ounce bat, and as the summer wore on and he started to wear down (without the steroids to help him recover) he'd drop down to a 39.

TommyJohn
06-15-2006, 08:30 AM
Luzinski and Kittle got their roofers after home plate was moved forward ten feet. It doesn't seem like a lot, but apparently it was, because it was a rare occurrence prior, and there were quite a few after.

I think (I don't have a list in front of me) that there were as many roof shots
from 1983-85 as there were from 1927-82. I think 20 or 21. Home plate was
moved back of course, and from 1986-90 there were only four more roof
shots.

nccwsfan
06-15-2006, 08:48 AM
I think (I don't have a list in front of me) that there were as many roof shots
from 1983-85 as there were from 1927-82. I think 20 or 21. Home plate was
moved back of course, and from 1986-90 there were only four more roof
shots.

21 Roofshots from 1927 through 1982 (7 by White Sox players, 14 by opponent)
19 Roofshots from 1983 through 1985 (13 by White Sox players, 6 by opponent)
4 Roofshots from 1986 through 1990 (2 by White Sox players, 2 by opponent)

Dan Mega
06-15-2006, 08:59 AM
This thread inspired me to read up more about Dick Allen. I have heard of the roofshots but I didn't know much more.

I liked this expert from Wikipedia:

He used a 42-ounce bat, bucking the Ted Williams (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Williams)-inspired trend of using a light bat for increased bat speed, and relied on his massive arm strength to drive the ball. One memorable shot went over the left-center field roof at Connie Mack Stadium (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Connie_Mack_Stadium), a truly Ruthian (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babe_Ruth) blast that was the basis of Willie Stargell (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willie_Stargell)'s famous quote: "Now I know why they boo Richie all the time. When he hits a home run, there's no souvenir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souvenir)."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Allen

Sounds like he was the premier slugger of a pitchers era.

Lip Man 1
06-15-2006, 12:25 PM
Hal:

Sitting in the center field bleachers near Harry on August 23, 1972 I can assure you the ball was still rising as it passed the 445 foot mark and struck the bleacher seats. I happened to be watching Yankee CF Bobby Murcer and the look on his face was one of shock when he went back to the temporary fence and the ball was still not descending.

Lip

EastCoastSoxFan
06-15-2006, 01:07 PM
I seem to remember watching George Bell it a center field bleacher shot at a doubleheader in '85. My dad, my brother, and I had moved down into the golden box seats by the middle of the second game; and Bell got a hold of a pitch, I believe from the immortal Dave Wehrmeister, and put it out to straight away center...