PDA

View Full Version : White Sox vs. Tigers

RedRamage
06-12-2006, 09:27 AM
Hey all,

I'm a Tiger fan, so we'll get that out of the way first. I think we're setting up to have an increadible baseball season as the Sox and Tigs fight it out for best in the Central. It could make for a lot of nail biting and fun times. Hopefully with the Bengals coming out of time! :tongue:

Anyway, I'm curious what the Sox fans are thinking of the Tigers. It's too far into the season to really questions "Are the Tigers for real?", but at the same time the Tigers success is such a turn around from last year that it's hard to think that they will continue to without any stumbling. I think most Tigers fans are cautiously optimistic. Most of us would've been happy with an over-.500 season given the last decade+ of craptacular play that we've lived through.

How do y'all view the Tigers? Are we upstarts just waiting to fall apart? Are we a legitimate playoff bound team? In all honesty, I have to say that my two favorite teams are the Tigers and whoever is playing the Sox. Do you feel the same way about the Tigers?

Please forgive my excite, but it's been such a long time since we've really been able to celebrate like this in Michigan.

At the very least, I think we're putting behind us the days when the AL Central was considered the arm-pit of Major League Baseball.

Edward
06-12-2006, 09:45 AM
In all honesty the Tigers remind me of the 2005 SOX in that they are a team that was expected to do nothing and now they are flying under the radar with the best record in baseball. I'm hoping that you guys fall off, but I'm really not sure if/when that's going to happen. Maroth and Young are key losses IMO. Either way, should make for an exciting run down the stretch. Maybe. Are you guys just mad because we messed up your visitors clubhouse celebrating our central division championship last year? :cool: Not sure if teal is necessary here... :tongue:

miker
06-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Only speaking for myself, the Tigers are for real until they show me otherwise. Hiring Jim Leyland was the best move they've made in a long time. Unless they really are playing over their heads, I expect to see the Tigers near the top of the standings at the end of the year.

Or is this thread a cleverly disguised setup?

Pequod
06-12-2006, 09:52 AM
Tigers look real to me. How real? Time will tell. Look like a definite wild card contender...hopefully no more than that!

Regarding view of the Tigers. Sure I want them to lose, but only because they're ahead of the Sox. Nothing deeper than that. Gotta have a lot of respect for them. Lotta good players, good pitching and good manager. Wish we had Granderson.

Chicken Dinner
06-12-2006, 09:53 AM
The Tigers have scored almost 50% of their runs off the home run so they will need to keep hitting the long ball to stay at their current level. The pitching looks good and they seem to be playing aggressively. Just like all teams, staying healthy will be a factor.

AuroraSoxFan
06-12-2006, 09:54 AM
I see no reason to think they'll stumble. They hit really well 1-9. No weak hitters in the lineup. Some losses but the pitching seems to be pretty solid. for the last few years I always knew they had some talent. Now that they got a skipper that knows what to do with it they should be a contender all year. I wouldn't mind seeing them win the WILD CARD. But that's where my friendliness ends.

Baby Fisk
06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
If CNN can find Sparky Anderson by the side of the road and interview him during the Ronald Reagan funeral procession, then this team must be for real!

Seriously tho, I was at yesterday's Tigs-Jays game with my buddy the Tigers fan. He is feeling giddy, and has totally fastened himself to the notion that the 2006 Tigers = 2005 Sox. The comparison fails somewhat when you compare the pitching rotations, but both teams are capable of winning with the longball too. So enjoy the ride, but keep in mind that the Sox sorta, kinda, OWN the Tigers at this point (5-1).

I'd much rather see the Sox battle the Tigers than the Twins or Jndians, two teams I truly despise.

tebman
06-12-2006, 10:00 AM
First off, welcome. The moderators here have made it clear that other teams' fans who want to talk baseball and not troll for arguments are invited to post their thoughts.

Sure, the Tigers make me nervous because they do remind me of the '05 White Sox. Good pitching, consistent offense, and a sharp manager. I think Leyland is the secret weapon over there. I know Ozzie thinks the same thing.

Maroth's and Young's loss is a concern for the Tigers. This is where Leyland will have to use his skill to get the most out of what he has. Rogers has historically been a poor second-half pitcher, so if that pattern holds it becomes another concern. And the law of averages catches up with everybody. The Tigers have had a mini-slump the last couple of weeks, but there will be others. The Sox have the same concern but I know that Ken Williams is agressive in plugging leaks he sees in the team. I don't know that the Tigers have that same kind of savvy in the front office.

Obviously I want the Sox to come out on top, but I'm not going to make any predictions because I've lived through enough disappointment in the last 40+ years to know better. Fortunately, I also know that KW and Ozzie feel the same way and are going to do whatever they need to do to get it done.

Here's to a great race (with the Sox victorious, of course)! :gulp:

tigersfan25
06-12-2006, 10:02 AM
I'll respectfully disagree with Young's loss affecting the Tigers. They have been much better with Marcus Thames in the lineup, and Young stunk early this year anyway.

CaptainBallz
06-12-2006, 10:04 AM
Sox are 5-1 vs. the Tigers this year so far w/ plenty more to play against them. I see no reason why the Sox can't continue to whoop on them for the rest of the season. As far as I'm concerned, this will be the determinig factor of who's ALC Champ and who's ALC Chump. They're playing well, but I still think the Sox are better and will be more so once obvious problems are addressed. Should be fun regardless.

Pequod
06-12-2006, 10:05 AM
I'll respectfully disagree with Young's loss affecting the Tigers. They have been much better with Marcus Thames in the lineup, and Young stunk early this year anyway.

I agree with that. Thames has been killing the ball. Looks like an upgrade there to me.

Pitching and injuries. Can they sustain the former and work through the latter. If so, they'll have earned it (whatever *it* is) in the end.

sullythered
06-12-2006, 10:18 AM
I'm not looking to start stuff, but I'm certainly glad the tigers are having a lot of trouble beating us this year. We only beat the toons last season because of our success in the head to head.

ilsox7
06-12-2006, 10:19 AM
I said it before Maroth went down and I continue to feel this way: the pitching is not going to last over an entire season. Rogers has fallen off big time in the 2nd half the last few years. Robertson probably will continue to come back toward his career averages. And Verlander might struggle late in the season b/c he has never thrown more than about 130 innings in a professional season.

While all of those things probably won't happen, odds are good that one or two will. And if that is the case, Detroit will struggle some. It's a solid team with a solid manager, but I don't think they are built for the long haul this year. But there is so much young talent there that they should be in the picture for the foreseeable future.

Chez
06-12-2006, 10:42 AM
I think the Tigers are the real deal. But the fact that Rogers is the only pitcher on their staff who has pitched in a pennant race before will prove to be their downfall.

RedRamage
06-12-2006, 10:45 AM
ilsox7,

I think I actually agree with you more than disagree. As much as I want to see the pitching hold up, I expect it to slip a little over the long season. I'm hopeful that we can patch things up with some of the arms in the minors Miner's already replaced Maroth and Tata is an option from the minors as well.

I also think that this team is riding a lot on confidence and if they can't sustain a strong winning percentage that they might lose that confidence and if that happens, the team might start falling apart.

Losing Maroth for an extended time is a huge bummer... both becasue he was pitching well for the team and giving us wins, but also because he really deserved to be a part of a great year. Maroth was a guy that, while never seemed to be anyone's favorite, he was always a great guy and well liked. Just a few years ago he lost over 20 games in that disastorous 2003 season. And the managers quitely told him they would "shut him down" before the 20th loss if he wanted to. He refused because he said he wouldn't be able to talk truthfully to his son about things like commitement and giving it your all if he didn't play out the rest of the season. He went on to lose 21 games that year.

tigersfan25
06-12-2006, 10:53 AM
I think I actually agree with you more than disagree. As much as I want to see the pitching hold up, I expect it to slip a little over the long season. I'm hopeful that we can patch things up with some of the arms in the minors Miner's already replaced Maroth and Tata is an option from the minors as well.
I agree with this assessment. I am just about sure that there will be a falloff by our rotation... the question though shouldn't be *if* it will happen... believe me, they are pitching over their heads, most likely... it should be *how much* will they fall off when they do. That will determine their standing at the end of the season, and whether ultimately, they make it into the playoffs.

I personally don't think they'll make the playoffs, but it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

CaptainBallz
06-12-2006, 10:54 AM
I agree with this assessment. I am just about sure that there will be a falloff by our rotation... the question though shouldn't be *if* it will happen... believe me, they are pitching over their heads, most likely... it should be *how much* will they fall off when they do. That will determine their standing at the end of the season, and whether ultimately, they make it into the playoffs.

I personally don't think they'll make the playoffs, but it certainly isn't out of the realm of possibility.

So what do they call "Dark Clouds" up in Detroit? :cool:

tigersfan25
06-12-2006, 10:56 AM
So what do they call "Dark Clouds" up in Detroit? :cool:
I wouldn't know... I live on the West Coast... :cool:

Pequod
06-12-2006, 10:58 AM

With all the Yankees' injuries and no dominant teams in the AL West, I don't think wildcard is out of the question for the Tigers. Confidence alone could take them a long way. Of course, Toronto and Cleveland may have something to say about that before all is said and done.

GOGOGOPODS
06-12-2006, 11:04 AM
Tigers are the REAL DEAL for the wild card. NO way the Tigers are going to beat out the White Sox. The Sox have the Tigers number, 5-1 againest them this year, with 13 more games againest them. The Tigers are a scary team though as they can hit the ball!! Starting pitching is young(besides Rogers) and have a good closer(Todd Jones). It should be a fun race between these two teams the rest of the way, but don't forget about that team from Cleveland. They can get hot anytime soon, as they showed it last year at the end of the year.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-12-2006, 11:12 AM
Tigers are the REAL DEAL for the wild card. NO way the Tigers are going to beat out the White Sox. The Sox have the Tigers number, 5-1 againest them this year, with 13 more games againest them. The Tigers are a scary team though as they can hit the ball!! Starting pitching is young(besides Rogers) and have a good closer(Todd Jones). It should be a fun race between these two teams the rest of the way, but don't forget about that team from Cleveland. They can get hot anytime soon, as they showed it last year at the end of the year.

against*

Fake Chet Lemon
06-12-2006, 11:20 AM
The Tigers have a nice team and they will be a factor all year. However I still fear the Indians more. I see the Tigers winning 87 games and finishing 3rd in the division.

However if the schedule makers decide to allow the Tigers to play the Royals and Twins exclusively in the second-half, then they win the division. Otherwise 3rd place, no post-season.

I want Mags back
06-12-2006, 11:25 AM
Rampage-i'll tell you what i think. The Comerica Kitties are nothing but a fluke. Just look how they have fared against the Sox, Yankees, and Red Sox. They are 5-1 verses us. What does that tell you?

The Indians will again be the team to contend with us with a strong second half.

Tigerslover
06-12-2006, 11:57 AM
That may be true, but you gotta admit we held our own for the most part in those 6 games. A break here, or a hit there and we may have won a few more against you. Same goes for the Yankees and Sox, we had a shot to win a few more there as well.

CaptainBallz
06-12-2006, 12:03 PM
That may be true, but you gotta admit we held our own for the most part in those 6 games. A break here, or a hit there and we may have won a few more against you. Same goes for the Yankees and Sox, we had a shot to win a few more there as well.

Yeah, I was totally thinking that the Sox would've won that last game if they scored more runs than the Tigers. That would make them 6-0!!:rolleyes:

Chez
06-12-2006, 12:03 PM
Here's how much I think the Tigers are for real -- I'm actually going to root for [gulp] the Cubs this weekend. I can't believe I just wrote that.

Unregistered
06-12-2006, 12:07 PM
That may be true, but you gotta admit we held our own for the most part in those 6 games. A break here, or a hit there and we may have won a few more against you. Same goes for the Yankees and Sox, we had a shot to win a few more there as well.We'll be sure to remember that when you win the prized "Almost Divison Champs" trophy. :cool:

Seriously, the same thing happened last year. Every time the Sox would play a team, the opposing fans (and sometimes the team itself) would talk about how they weren't blown out and how they could've swept the Sox instead of getting swept, blah blah blah...

Truth of the matter is a loss is a loss. If a 2-1 loss makes you feel better than a 10-1 loss, then you should feel good about the last series against the Sox. The Tigers and their fans can have their moral victories: we're looking to win another World Series.

oeo
06-12-2006, 12:10 PM

The Sox really haven't dominated anyone all year. Of course with your starting pitching the way it has been, you're going to "hold your own", but that needs to hold up. Rogers has been bad in the second half, Bonderman is inconsistent, is Robertson going to keep it up?, what about Maroth...will Miner be able to do what he did the other day?, and Verlander: he's never pitched more than 130 innings, when is Leyland going to start watching those innings and make sure he doesn't go overboard (I would think he would; unless they want a Kerry Wood or a Mark Prior).

And your bullpen...8 runs in the 8th inning? Not even our bullpen has done that. If that keeps going downhill, you're in trouble. Rodney has been great, Zumaya has been unbelievable...Todd Jones as your closer :?:.

And one thing stuck out in the series against us (and Black Jays)...if you guys score, you score with the homerun. How long are you going to get the big homerun? I haven't been able to see a lot of the Tigers, so you would have to tell me if they can manufacture runs, because I didn't see any of that during the week.

A lot of question marks, and everything is going to have to exactly right with that offense. I'm still not sold on you guys, but the Indians are starting to implode, so maybe you can stick around.

BTW, do you guys only come here when you're winning? I've been checking these Tigers forums, and if you lose a couple games (like against the Sox), you're all jumping ship and saying this is like every other year, and if you win, no one can stop you.

Sure, this place is pretty crazy like that, but I think the majority of people here know that this is an amazing team. I'm not even sure if Tiger fans know the Tigers are for real...

The Immigrant
06-12-2006, 12:11 PM
What's the over/under on Verlander's arm simply falling off?

I realize that Leyland is around 78 years old and wants to win this year, but Dombrowski may have to take away his Marlboro's unless he starts limiting this kid's innings.

NorthSideSox72
06-12-2006, 12:15 PM
The Tigers as a team of individuals are playing way, way over their career numbers almost to a man. Especially their pitching. That won't hold - at least not for all of them. Tigers will slip.

And yeah, until they can beat teams like the Sox, Yanks and Red Sox, they aren't likely to be winning the division.

Looking at the other teams in the Central, though, I think the Tigers have a great shot at a wild card. Clevelend is ridiculously overrated - they have the same lineup as last year with much worse pitching, so I don't see why people overhyped them. They are a .500 team at best, as they have shown. Minnesota, while scrappy, lacks talent. KC is... well... KC. I think that means the Tigers are likely to finish 2nd, and in this division, that makes for a good shot at a WC.

Tigerslover
06-12-2006, 12:29 PM
:?:.

And one thing stuck out in the series against us (and Black Jays)...if you guys score, you score with the homerun. How long are you going to get the big homerun? I haven't been able to see a lot of the Tigers, so you would have to tell me if they can manufacture runs, because I didn't see any of that during the week.

They can manufacture runs pretty well actually. That was partly how they won 15 of 16, being able to do just that. They have struggled doing it lately yes, but I think that has begun to turn around now. In the 10-5 win over Toronto yesterday, they only had one home run.

oeo
06-12-2006, 12:35 PM
They can manufacture runs pretty well actually. That was partly how they won 15 of 16, being able to do just that. They have struggled doing it lately yes, but I think that has begun to turn around now. In the 10-5 win over Toronto yesterday, they only had one home run.
And the night before you had a 3-run and a 2-run homer, and that was your offense. Just read an article on the Tigers website:

Fifteen of the Tigers' 22 runs this trip entering Sunday had come on homers, including every run in Saturday's 5-3 win.
Your bullpen almost blew that one yesterday, as well. :o:

Just makes me wonder if your bullpen can be as successful as the first couple months, the whole year. Like I said, a lot of question marks.

North Sox Sider
06-12-2006, 12:35 PM
The Tigers are a nice young ball club. Good hitters and I am very impressed with Marcus Thames but the bullpen is brutal. I was at the Tuesday and Wednesday night games and Verlander and Bonderman looked very solid. Once the bullpen came in, we found a way to win. I think Detroit will be a factor but not a division winner. I wonder how many said that about us last year??

champagne030
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
The Tigers are a nice young ball club. Good hitters and I am very impressed with Marcus Thames but the bullpen is brutal. I was at the Tuesday and Wednesday night games and Verlander and Bonderman looked very solid. Once the bullpen came in, we found a way to win. I think Detroit will be a factor but not a division winner. I wonder how many said that about us last year??

Bonderman did not pitch against us last week.

Tigerslover
06-12-2006, 01:40 PM
I think you're thinking of Robertson.

ode to veeck
06-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Tigers are for real (as Ozzie predicted more than a year ago), but the real question is will they beat out Yanks or Boston for the wildcard?

davenicholson
06-12-2006, 02:12 PM
I'm always amused by the "serious fans" of the Current Team X that show up around here when their team starts doing well enough to be a perceived threat (to some) to the Sox. It makes me wonder how the whole process goes. Is it something like this? Current Team X starts winning, fans of Current Team X get giddy, and wonder how the fans of the better team (the Sox) are reacting. Perhaps to get a little personal feel-good as Sox fans hopefully wail and gnash their teeth over the mighty Current Team X. Where are the Twins fans now? Where were the Tigers fans last year? I know that I spend zero time on cubs, Twins, Tigers or Indians boards, but hey, maybe that's just me.

Baby Fisk
06-12-2006, 02:28 PM
I'm always amused by the "serious fans" of the Current Team X that show up around here when their team starts doing well enough to be a perceived threat (to some) to the Sox. It makes me wonder how the whole process goes. Is it something like this? Current Team X starts winning, fans of Current Team X get giddy, and wonder how the fans of the better team (the Sox) are reacting. Perhaps to get a little personal feel-good as Sox fans hopefully wail and gnash their teeth over the mighty Current Team X. Where are the Twins fans now? Where were the Tigers fans last year? I know that I spend zero time on cubs, Twins, Tigers or Indians boards, but hey, maybe that's just me.
Reminds me of that woman with the occasionally funny Twins blog. She had some fans around here. Anyone still visit her site? Just wondering how sassy she is these days, with her team having crashed to a hopeless fourth place. :cool:

RedRamage
06-12-2006, 02:36 PM
Terrible sorry to have bothered you. The point of this thread was to try to get some discussion of how the Sox viewed my team. I would take no pride in any "gnashing of teeth" as I would figure it was from someone who overreacted.

Am I giddy? Hell yes I'm giddy. The Tigers have stunk for over a decade and now we're in first place in baseball... for an extended period of time. Why shouldn't I be giddy?

I would say that if you don't perceive the Tigers to be a threat then you need to fix your perceiver. The Tigers have a better record than you do right now. And we're well into the season now, not just the first few weeks. Ultimately the Tigers may fall off at the end of the season, but to dismiss the Tigers at this point would be short sighted.

Where was I last year? Pretty much wallowing in misery. But I ain't here to gloat or to find Sox fans fearing my almight Tigers. As I mentioned above, this is the first time in a LONG time that we've been able to enjoy the season like this. This is the first time in a LONG time that I've followed the results of another team as closely as I've followed the Sox record this year. I thought it would be interesting to see if the Sox fans are feeling the same way that I am.

But, if it bothers you that I'm searching for some inter-fan conversation, then I'll leave y'all alone.

CLR01
06-12-2006, 02:41 PM
Terrible sorry to have bothered you. The point of this thread was to try to get some discussion of how the Sox viewed my team. I would take no pride in any "gnashing of teeth" as I would figure it was from someone who overreacted.

Am I giddy? Hell yes I'm giddy. The Tigers have stunk for over a decade and now we're in first place in baseball... for an extended period of time. Why shouldn't I be giddy?

I would say that if you don't perceive the Tigers to be a threat then you need to fix your perceiver. The Tigers have a better record than you do right now. And we're well into the season now, not just the first few weeks. Ultimately the Tigers may fall off at the end of the season, but to dismiss the Tigers at this point would be short sighted.

Where was I last year? Pretty much wallowing in misery. But I ain't here to gloat or to find Sox fans fearing my almight Tigers. As I mentioned above, this is the first time in a LONG time that we've been able to enjoy the season like this. This is the first time in a LONG time that I've followed the results of another team as closely as I've followed the Sox record this year. I thought it would be interesting to see if the Sox fans are feeling the same way that I am.

But, if it bothers you that I'm searching for some inter-fan conversation, then I'll leave y'all alone.

13 games left, Sox with a 5-1 record. Yeah that 1 and a half lead means nothing but if it brightens up your day a little then go with it.

cbotnyse
06-12-2006, 03:11 PM
RedRamage,

I have no problem with your posts so far. I think all you're really asking for is our opinion of your team. Just remember we are very biased round these parts, so play nice or your username will mysteriously disapear and the FBI will be looking for it near a farm in Detroit.

have a look here to clarify...http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72453&highlight=message+kitten

but I think the Tigers have held their own so far this year...except against us of course. Like every team, the pitching has to hold up in the long run to win, and I think the Sox have the edge there. but your lineup has some quality hitters.

Tiger23
06-12-2006, 04:40 PM
If I was a fan of the White Sox I would be worried about the Tigers for the following reasons: Three of your wins against us came at the beginning of the season, before the Tigers even realized they were good. The Tigers recently entered your ballpark, and put themselves in position to win 2 of 3 (I know, a win is a win is a win). On top of that, they actually seemed to steal the last game, in which was arguably the most important game of the Tigers season to date, through aggressive and superior play. No matter what Mr. Leyland says about taking things one game at a time and not dwelling on any win or loss, a second sweep would have hurt badly. The Tigers recently finished their toughest stretch of the season, and still hold a game and a half lead over the White Sox. They now go on to play some less than average teams, and I'm sure you don't have to be reminded about what they've done to less than average teams this year. Meanwhile the White Sox go on to play several teams that have been playing good baseball this season. Finally, though they are still a great team, the Sox have been scuffling a bit in the last few weeks, allowing Detroit to keep their small lead.

I've been a Tiger fan my whole life, and cannot honestly remember a good season. My earliest memories are of Cecil Fielder and Mickey Tettleton, back when I didn't even know what was going on. There is no way I would go onto the defending World Series Champion's turf and gloat about a small lead with so much season left. However, I think it is a mistake for any White Sox fan to not take Detroit seriously.

If I've broken any rules by defending my team here, please let me know. Just thought they deserved it, and wanted to take the opportunity to jump into a legitimate discussion with the opposing team. Please don't ban me, as I would like to participate in some Tigers-White Sox discussions in the future. That is of course, if the miracle I have witnessed in Detroit so far this season can continue.

Baby Fisk
06-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Please don't ban me, as I would like to participate in some Tigers-White Sox discussions in the future. That is of course, if the miracle I have witnessed in Detroit so far this season can continue.

Does that mean you will walk out on us if the miracle doesn't continue? Is that all we mean to you? I, I thought we had more than that... I thought we had something special between us...

:hawk
"Davenicholson...YES!"

Tiger23
06-12-2006, 04:57 PM
Does that mean you will walk out on us if the miracle doesn't continue? Is that all we mean to you? I, I thought we had more than that... I thought we had something special between us...

I've grown quite accustomed life in a closet. Wouldn't be hard to return, and no point in being here if my team is out of contention.

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm glad the Tigers are doing well and giving the Sox some competition. Along with the World Champs and last year's ESPN darling Indians, the three teams have brought deserved attention to the AL Central as one of the two best divisions in the MLB (the other being the AL East).

For the good of an historic franchise, I sincerely hope the Tigers win 100 games this year to claim the AL Wild Card.

oeo
06-12-2006, 04:59 PM
If I was a fan of the White Sox I would be worried about the Tigers for the following reasons: Three of your wins against us came at the beginning of the season, before the Tigers even realized they were good.
:rolling:
I'm just going to stop right there. Keep in mind, you've won one game against us and it was served on a silver platter by Jon Garland.

Baby Fisk
06-12-2006, 05:01 PM
I've grown quite accustomed life in a closet. Wouldn't be hard to return, and no point in being here if my team is out of contention.
Then we won't be able to tease you if (when?) your team falls out of contention. It's only fair... :cool:

Like I said earlier in this thread, Sox-Tigers is preferable to any other combination of teams battling for the AL Central.

Tiger23
06-12-2006, 05:41 PM
:rolling:
I'm just going to stop right there. Keep in mind, you've won one game against us and it was served on a silver platter by Jon Garland.

That game was far from served on a silver platter. Who knows what might have happened if Pudge doesn't tag up from first....

There is no way I can trump your argument except to point out that despite that, we are still a game and a half ahead. Do you expect the White Sox to continue to beat the Tigers at this pace? Obviously I have no argument saying that they won't, but suppose that last win in Chicago is what they needed to realize they can play with the White Sox.

Tiger23
06-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Then we won't be able to tease you if (when?) your team falls out of contention. It's only fair... :cool:

Well I can't tease you ever or I get banned, so I think its fair :D: .

thomas35forever
06-12-2006, 05:50 PM
Until the Tigers start falling out of it, I'm not going to underestimate them. A lot of people underestimated the Sox last year and look what happened. Losing Maroth is quite a blow if you're a Tigers fan. Personally, it's a blow because he's on my fantasy team. Leyland is a great manager and Pudge and Mags have great bats. Even if they don't make the playoffs this year, big things will be expected of them next year, much like the Indians this year.

cubhater
06-12-2006, 07:04 PM
Your bullpen is much better off after getting rid of Farnsworth last year!:cool:

If the Sox don't win the Central or wild card, I'm pulling for the Tiggers. Your youngsters took their lumps the last few years and it's looking like they're ready to contend.

gf2020
06-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Tigers are a mirage. I prefer to think of them of this season's Baltimore Orioles or Washington Nationals. They are a nice, cute story that we won't be talking about in August.

It's not arrogance. If they were an actual threat, I would view them as one. They can't beat good teams and have a pitching staff that will fall apart with its work load and youth outside of Kenny R.

Outside of this thread, I don't even find their fans to be all that more intelligent or civil than Indians or Twins fans as evidenced by my sig. It's all "IF" with these jokers. Well, we went 35-19 in "IF" games last year and are 3-0 against the Tigers this year in "IF" games.

IF the White Sox didn't exist, the Tigers might win the division.

Zisk77
06-12-2006, 10:24 PM
I think they are for real, but are a year away. It seems to me their bullpen is coming in every night. This might bode ominous come August. Also the majority of their starters are young and may fade some in the dog days. I'll predict 87-90 wins. They just fall short of the wild card. Of course if the could pull a trading coup for a starter or 2 this could change. Also, their reliance on the homer could doom them as well.
next year could be crazy in the AL Central. The Sox, Tigers, Tribe, and Possibly the twinkies all being good.

CLR01
06-12-2006, 10:31 PM
If I was a fan of the White Sox I would be worried about the Tigers for the following reasons: Three of your wins against us came at the beginning of the season, before the Tigers even realized they were good. The Tigers recently entered your ballpark, and put themselves in position to win 2 of 3 (I know, a win is a win is a win). On top of that, they actually seemed to steal the last game, in which was arguably the most important game of the Tigers season to date, through aggressive and superior play. No matter what Mr. Leyland says about taking things one game at a time and not dwelling on any win or loss, a second sweep would have hurt badly. The Tigers recently finished their toughest stretch of the season, and still hold a game and a half lead over the White Sox. They now go on to play some less than average teams, and I'm sure you don't have to be reminded about what they've done to less than average teams this year. Meanwhile the White Sox go on to play several teams that have been playing good baseball this season. Finally, though they are still a great team, the Sox have been scuffling a bit in the last few weeks, allowing Detroit to keep their small lead.

I've been a Tiger fan my whole life, and cannot honestly remember a good season. My earliest memories are of Cecil Fielder and Mickey Tettleton, back when I didn't even know what was going on. There is no way I would go onto the defending World Series Champion's turf and gloat about a small lead with so much season left. However, I think it is a mistake for any White Sox fan to not take Detroit seriously.

If I've broken any rules by defending my team here, please let me know. Just thought they deserved it, and wanted to take the opportunity to jump into a legitimate discussion with the opposing team. Please don't ban me, as I would like to participate in some Tigers-White Sox discussions in the future. That is of course, if the miracle I have witnessed in Detroit so far this season can continue.

Right and if I were a Tiger fan I would be worried that the Sox own the Tigers so far this year. I would also be worried that, as you said, the Sox have not been playing all that well and the Tigers are still only a game and a half up. I would then put a bullet in my head for being a Kitten fan. That's just what I would do though. :wink:

sullythered
06-12-2006, 10:36 PM
Do you expect the White Sox to continue to beat the Tigers at this pace? Obviously I have no argument saying that they won't, but suppose that last win in Chicago is what they needed to realize they can play with the White Sox.
Well I didn't expect to absolutely own the indians in the head to head last year, either, but that happened.

oeo
06-12-2006, 10:37 PM
That game was far from served on a silver platter. Who knows what might have happened if Pudge doesn't tag up from first....

There is no way I can trump your argument except to point out that despite that, we are still a game and a half ahead. Do you expect the White Sox to continue to beat the Tigers at this pace? Obviously I have no argument saying that they won't, but suppose that last win in Chicago is what they needed to realize they can play with the White Sox.
First of all, he isn't Pudge. I-Roid never would have even tagged up if it wasn't dumbass Mackowiak in centerfield. He basically gave that base to I-Roid. Then Garland proceeded to serve fresh baked cookies to everyone that came up there. To me, he served that one up. If Mackowiak isn't lolly-gagging around, I-Roid doesn't advance and the basehit by Guillen doesn't drive in a run. But he was lolly-gagging around. And then on Guillen's basehit, he misses the cutoff man, and Guillen gets into scoring position. Thames should have never even had an at-bat, the Sox gave that game away.

I don't expect them to win every 5 out of 6 games...but, I think they will dominate them all year like they did to the Indians last year. I think you guys will get 6 or 7 wins against us, that's it.

Sox-o-matic
06-12-2006, 10:45 PM
Screw all the people that say the Tigers are a legitimate threat. The Tigers can not and will not play better defense than the Sox, pitch better than the Sox, and win more close games than the Sox. IMO, the Tiggers are where they are now because they have a very good team overall - but not a great team like we have. If the 2006 Sox were playing like the 2006 Sox are capable of playing, we'd be at LEAST 6 games up in this division.

We are the best team in baseball. There is no offense as potent as ours 1-7 when we are clicking and there is no starting rotation even comparable to ours. The closest offense in 2005 was the Red Sox and we swept them. the closest pitching staff in 2005 was the Astros and we swept them.

I guarantee that on September 1st the Sox have at the very least a 10 GAME lead over any competetion in the AL Central. Anything less and this team is not performing the way they should be.

Records in April, May, June mean ****. The Sox are the best team in baseball, and I would bet everything I personally own that this team will make it to the World Series based on talent alone.

This all reminds me of the doubters during the Bulls two three-peats. Does anyone REALLY believe that any team in baseball can beat a team starting a rotation of Buehrle-Contreras-Garcia-Vazquez with McCarthy and Garland in the bullpen, with Thome-Konerko-Dye in the heart of the order, and with the almost impregnable defense the Sox have, in a seven game series? With the best bench in baseball just a call away? The Tigers are **** compared to what we have, as evidenced by our 5-1 record against them this season.

The bottom line is that there is not a better team out there, and when it is all said and done, the Sox will be at LEAST two time world champs. Bank on it.

oeo
06-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Screw all the people that say the Tigers are a legitimate threat. The Tigers can not and will not play better defense than the Sox, pitch better than the Sox, and win more close games than the Sox. IMO, the Tiggers are where they are now because they have a very good team overall - but not a great team like we have. If the 2006 Sox were playing like the 2006 Sox are capable of playing, we'd be at LEAST 6 games up in this division.

We are the best team in baseball. There is no offense as potent as ours 1-7 when we are clicking and there is no starting rotation even comparable to ours. The closest offense in 2005 was the Red Sox and we swept them. the closest pitching staff in 2005 was the Astros and we swept them.

I guarantee that on September 1st the Sox have at the very least a 10 GAME lead over any competetion in the AL Central. Anything less and this team is not performing the way they should be.

Records in April, May, June mean ****. The Sox are the best team in baseball, and I would bet everything I personally own that this team will make it to the World Series based on talent alone.

This all reminds me of the doubters during the Bulls two three-peats. Does anyone REALLY believe that any team in baseball can beat a team starting a rotation of Buehrle-Contreras-Garcia-Vazquez with McCarthy and Garland in the bullpen, with Thome-Konerko-Dye in the heart of the order, and with the almost impregnable defense the Sox have, in a seven game series? With the best bench in baseball just a call away? The Tigers are **** compared to what we have, as evidenced by our 5-1 record against them this season.

The bottom line is that there is not a better team out there, and when it is all said and done, the Sox will be at LEAST two time world champs. Bank on it.

Here, here!

No one is going to admit that, but the Sox are the team to beat. They've underachieved all year, and I do not believe there is a team that can defeat them in a 7 game series.

Sox-o-matic
06-12-2006, 11:06 PM
Here, here!

No one is going to admit that, but the Sox are the team to beat. They've underachieved all year, and I do not believe there is a team that can defeat them in a 7 game series.

they have underachieved. When this team hits on all cyllinders - and they will - they will play .750 baseball or better without a problem.

Last year the Indians snuck up on us...

This year the Sox might sneak up on the Tigers and beat the living **** out of them.

Tiger23
06-12-2006, 11:19 PM
Right and if I were a Tiger fan I would be worried that the Sox own the Tigers so far this year. I would also be worried that, as you said, the Sox have not been playing all that well and the Tigers are still only a game and a half up. I would then put a bullet in my head for being a Kitten fan. That's just what I would do though. :wink:

You think I'm not worried about the White Sox? That's laughable. However, the fact that we had a bad stretch (winning only 2 of 10 at one point) and are still ahead of the Sox gives me confidence. We have some very winnable games ahead of us for a little while, including a series against your beloved north siders. I believe we will be around for a while yet.

Sox-o-matic
06-12-2006, 11:28 PM
You think I'm not worried about the White Sox? That's laughable. However, the fact that we had a bad stretch (winning only 2 of 10 at one point) and are still ahead of the Sox gives me confidence. We have some very winnable games ahead of us for a little while, including a series against your beloved north siders. I believe we will be around for a while yet.

Well, as a Sox fan to a Tiger fan I really wish you well in your eventual pursuit of the wildcard. I would love nothing more than a Sox vs. Tigers ALCS to stuff the Boston/New York loving ESPN media.

That said, welcome to Hell. You guys have the unfortunate task of trying to hold off the best team in baseball. Good luck. You'll need it.

EDIT: By the way, we'll also find out over the next few months how bad Wallace really wants to stay with the Pistons. You guys might be giving way to the up and coming Bulls, too.

EDIT II: The Bears are winning the division as well. Haha.

tigersfan25
06-12-2006, 11:47 PM
No one is going to admit that, but the Sox are the team to beat.
I admit it...

oeo
06-12-2006, 11:48 PM

Watch out for that Michael Barrett fellow. He's a whiner, and he's not afraid to show it.

WhiteSoxRich
06-12-2006, 11:57 PM
Yeah, I was totally thinking that the Sox would've won that last game if they scored more runs than the Tigers. That would make them 6-0!!:rolleyes:

That sounds like something Santo would say..."You know Patrick, we would win more games if we could score more runs".

I actually heard him say that.

No offense CaptainBallz.

:bandance:

TornLabrum
06-13-2006, 06:09 AM
Watch out for that Michael Barrett fellow. He's a whiner, and he's not afraid to show it.

And watch out for sucker punches.

ma-gaga
06-13-2006, 07:57 AM
Reminds me of that woman with the occasionally funny Twins blog. She had some fans around here. Anyone still visit her site? Just wondering how sassy she is these days, with her team having crashed to a hopeless fourth place. :cool:

Actually, it's funnier now than ever. Kind of like this site. When things are going "good" it's fairly quiet around here. When things are going "bad", the activity level on this site is incredible. Here's a sample:

I mean, there are so many ways to make outs, really there's a whole world of possibility out there, and it's important to discover each and every one of them, to really invent new and wonderful ways of working out of scoring situations, to explore each and every corner of this unfathomable vastness, this incomprehensible infinity, because it reminds us that the only limits are those of our imagination. Somewhere in Twins Territory there is a child with a problem to solve and that child sees Lew Ford run toward third with Luis Castillo still on it, and he says, "My goodness, there is no problem I cannot overcome, for the universe is limitless and the world is my bitch." And it is beautiful.

I kind of like the "trap" that the mods have setup here. Lure all the Detroit fans into posting on this thread.

[daver] twang...................

Baby Fisk
06-13-2006, 08:49 AM
Actually, it's funnier now than ever. Kind of like this site. When things are going "good" it's fairly quiet around here. When things are going "bad", the activity level on this site is incredible. Here's a sample:

Heh heh, I luv gallows humour.

russ99
06-13-2006, 09:06 AM
I like the Tigers, and they're a good team with a great manager, but up to now, they've gotten all the breaks. Sure, last year's Sox team got lots of breaks last year, but they had a huge lead in the division when the hard times caught up with them.

It will be interesting to see how the Tigers respond to adversity and the inevitable slump/losing streak that all teams have throughout a long season, especially since the Sox (who have had a tough streak already) are so close to the division lead.

Baby Fisk
06-13-2006, 09:13 AM
Well I can't tease you ever or I get banned, so I think its fair :D: .
Heh, good point.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/825000/images/_827431_tiger150.jpg

CaptainBallz
06-13-2006, 09:17 AM
That sounds like something Santo would say..."You know Patrick, we would win more games if we could score more runs".

I actually heard him say that.

No offense CaptainBallz.

:bandance:

Note the rolling eyes... Teal would've been too obvious, but y'know.

NorthSideSox72
06-13-2006, 10:03 AM

I agree that the Tigers will be around for a while. You have a good team, as previously noted.

But I will add my agreement with another poster here - Ivan Rodriguez, despite his impressive career, is not Pudge. There was already a catcher named Pudge - one of the all time greats. You may have heard of him - Carlton Fisk. And I see no reason why another catcher should suddenly be given that name again, especially when he isn't nearly the catcher Fisk was.

Tiger23
06-13-2006, 11:45 AM
I like the Tigers, and they're a good team with a great manager, but up to now, they've gotten all the breaks. Sure, last year's Sox team got lots of breaks last year, but they had a huge lead in the division when the hard times caught up with them.

It will be interesting to see how the Tigers respond to adversity and the inevitable slump/losing streak that all teams have throughout a long season, especially since the Sox (who have had a tough streak already) are so close to the division lead.

Agreed, although the Tigers have certainly had a few bumps, mostly thanks to you guys of course. :mad:

Speaking of getting all the breaks, how about that Thome deal. I told everyone within earshot that he was the most overrated acquisition of the offseason. I thought he was done, and by now would either be a gaping hole in the middle of the lineup, or maybe he would have done you all a favor and got put on the DL. Man has he made me eat my words.

Have there been two bigger offseason pick ups than Rogers (one we certainly caught a break on) and Thome? Which one of those two is bigger? Obviously I have to go with Rogers due to the effect he's had on the rest of the staff.

tebman
06-13-2006, 11:55 AM
Have there been two bigger offseason pick ups than Rogers (one we certainly caught a break on) and Thome? Which one of those two is bigger? Obviously I have to go with Rogers due to the effect he's had on the rest of the staff.
Just keep those cameras away, and nobody gets hurt.

voodoochile
06-13-2006, 12:05 PM
At the beginning of the season, I picked the kittens to finish second in the ALC. I did so because of their coaching staff - which has almost too much talent. I'm a firm believer in the benefits of good management having a huge positive effect on any group of people.

I have no doubt the kittens will be an above .500 team this year, the question in my mind is can they hang on to the hot first half and fight their way into the wild card. I sure hope so because NY and Boston scare me WAY more and the way they played against the Kittens is prime example number one of why.

I think the Kittens are a year and at least one more starting pitcher away from being a serious contender in the playoffs, but as KW has shown, that isn't as tough to fix as one might think. If the Kittens are still fighting for a playoff spot at the trade deadline they will probably go get some more pitching and then it could get very interesting, but until they can beat the Sox head to head consistently, they are strictly a second place team long term.