PDA

View Full Version : Question about being outside the batter's box

Mercy!
06-12-2006, 09:30 AM
I thought the TV overhead shots last night clearly showed that Travis Haffner's back foot was out of the batter's box. I assume that's common knowledge to the Sox. Why doesn't someone make a protest to the umpire during the game when this happens?

I can see that might be considered a bush league move if the Sox were losing, oh like 10-2. But why not harass the other team a bit right at the beginning of the game when the offending player first comes to bat? Is it because the other team would then turn around and do the same to any Sox players who set up the same way?

WisSoxFan
06-12-2006, 10:24 AM
In order for it to be an out the batter must make contact with the pitch while he is out of the box. I wasn't paying close enough attention to know if that is true in Hafner's case.

RedRamage
06-12-2006, 10:39 AM
I think that it's one of those things that ignored unless it's MAJORLY outside of the box. Just like a player is always supposed to run down to first in that "lane" yet they almost never do... unless it's MAJORLY outside of the lane and interferes with the play, it's never called.

And I think you're also right that it would become a tic for tat thing. You complain about one thing, the next guy complains about somethings.

SweetnesSox
06-12-2006, 11:09 AM
Frank almost always had his back foot on the line if not out of it, and I never remember anyone protesting. Kinda one of those things everyone does and no one complains about. Like steroids. :D:

miker
06-12-2006, 11:14 AM
The only time I saw this enforced was with me at a company softball game!:angry:

Jjav829
06-12-2006, 11:20 AM
I think that it's one of those things that ignored unless it's MAJORLY outside of the box. Just like a player is always supposed to run down to first in that "lane" yet they almost never do... unless it's MAJORLY outside of the lane and interferes with the play, it's never called.

And I think you're also right that it would become a tic for tat thing. You complain about one thing, the next guy complains about somethings.

I definitely think it's a tit-for-tat thing. If you starting complaining about something on the other team, they're going to look for something to complain about. For instance, the situation between the Angels and Nats last year. For those who don't remember, Frank Robinson had the umpires check Brendan Donnelly's glove for pine tar. The umps did so and ejected Donnelly for having pine tar on his glove. Mike Scioscia's response? Well, besides almost getting into a fight with Robinson, Scioscia had the umpires check Gary Majewski's glove for foreign substances the next inning. They didn't find anything, but made Majewski cut the laces on his glove.

As for the whole batters box thing, I think most managers don't pay much attention to it unless there is a reason to. This happened with Brady Clark a few weeks ago against the Phillies. Clark hit the glove of the Phillies catcher - I believe Sal Fasano, at the time - on a swing where he grounded out to short. Clark was awarded first base. Either Fasano or, more likely, Charlie Manuel talked to the umps about Clark's position in the box. Sure enough, next at-bat Clark fouled an 0-1 pitch off and was called out by the ump because his back foot was out of the box. That's the same place Clark always stands, but that time he was called on it because of the catcher's interference the previous at-bat.

Mercy!
06-12-2006, 11:21 AM
Frank almost always had his back foot on the line if not out of it, and I never remember anyone protesting....
Right, it just never bothered me when Frank did it.:D:

Herbal
06-12-2006, 02:06 PM
IIRC, I heard on a radio or TV broadcast a couple of weeks ago that some part of the batter's foot must be touching the line, and did not have to be completely inside the box.

WisSoxFan
06-12-2006, 03:03 PM
You are correct. Touching any part of the line is in the box.

WLL1855
06-12-2006, 08:21 PM
I remember an altercation that happened six years ago or so. I think it was with Carl Everett when he was in Boston but I could be mistaken. Anyway, the hitter was notorious for rubbing out the back line of the batter's box when he came to the plate because he liked to place his back foot behind the line. This time the ump called the groundskeeper and had him rechalk the line. An argument resulted and the player got tossed.

Hokiesox
06-12-2006, 08:31 PM
The Rule states that the ENTIRE foot must be outside of the box. The only time I've ever called it is in a high school game when a kid squared around to bunt, and had his right foot on top of home plate.