PDA

View Full Version : World SERIES Champions

Thome25
06-12-2006, 07:57 AM
I've noticed something since we won the World Series that kinda gets under my skin a little bit.

It's probably because of the World Baseball Classic but has anyone else noticed what people are saying regarding our championship?

I've noticed that on most of the memorabilia and T-shirts etc. that it says "World SERIES champions" instead of just "World Champions" like it should.

Also, I live on the east coast so I end up watching alot of nationally televised games on ESPN etc. and the announcers don't say "World Champion White Sox." They say World SERIES champion White Sox Or like Jon Miller said last night: "MLB Champion White Sox."

It's like they're afraid to call us the World Champions so they "water it down" a little by emphasizing the fact that we're the champions of the World Series or MLB but not THE WORLD.

I think this is because they are afraid of offending the other countries that were in the WBC by not calling us the "WORLD CHAMPIONS". And just for the record, I have no problems whatsoever with the WBC or any of the countries in it. But, I have news for them: The WORLD CHAMPION in organized baseball comes from the MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL.

What are your thoughts on this issue? Do you agree/disagree/not care?

Keep the posts coming in and GO WHITE SOX!!!!!!

soxtalker
06-12-2006, 08:58 AM
I've noticed something since we won the World Series that kinda gets under my skin a little bit.

It's probably because of the World Baseball Classic but has anyone else noticed what people are saying regarding our championship?

I've noticed that on most of the memorabilia and T-shirts etc. that it says "World SERIES champions" instead of just "World Champions" like it should.

Also, I live on the east coast so I end up watching alot of nationally televised games on ESPN etc. and the announcers don't say "World Champion White Sox." They say World SERIES champion White Sox Or like Jon Miller said last night: "MLB Champion White Sox."

It's like they're afraid to call us the World Champions so they "water it down" a little by emphasizing the fact that we're the champions of the World Series or MLB but not THE WORLD.

I think this is because they are afraid of offending the other countries that were in the WBC by not calling us the "WORLD CHAMPIONS". And just for the record, I have no problems whatsoever with the WBC or any of the countries in it. But, I have news for them: The WORLD CHAMPION in organized baseball comes from the MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL.

Well, I guess that I have the opposite reaction. Whenever I hear the phrase "World Champions," it just doesn't seem right. It isn't the WBC, but, rather, the increased amount of good baseball being played in many parts of the world. Yes, MLB is still the gold standard, but at some point it probably won't be. And how will we know? We aren't willing to play the champions of leagues in other parts of the world. (I remember that the old AFL was not supposed to be even remotely close to the old NFL -- until an AFL team won a championship.)

MiamiSpartan
06-12-2006, 09:02 AM
I don't care what it says. As long as it says "Champions".

Thome25
06-12-2006, 09:04 AM
Well, I guess that I have the opposite reaction. Whenever I hear the phrase "World Champions," it just doesn't seem right. It isn't the WBC, but, rather, the increased amount of good baseball being played in many parts of the world. Yes, MLB is still the gold standard, but at some point it probably won't be. And how will we know? We aren't willing to play the champions of leagues in other parts of the world. (I remember that the old AFL was not supposed to be even remotely close to the old NFL -- until an AFL team won a championship.)

I'd have to agree with your opinion but, does anyone believe that it takes away from our accomplishment a little bit to refer to it the way it has?

Chicken Dinner
06-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Say what..............Who cares!

cbone
06-12-2006, 09:41 AM
I couldn't care less.

itsnotrequired
06-12-2006, 09:45 AM
The Sox are the World Series Champions.

Milw
06-12-2006, 09:58 AM
I'd have to agree with your opinion but, does anyone believe that it takes away from our accomplishment a little bit to refer to it the way it has?
No. In fact, the very name "World Series" is a misnomer -- if anything it should be the North American Series. Not the same ring, I realize.

In the early 20th Century, when the only baseball being played in the world was being played in the U.S., calling it the World Series was, in a sense, accurate. But now it isn't. You can argue keeping the name based on tradition, but let's not fool ourselves. While the World Series champion would be the heavy favorite in any tournament involving the champions of other leagues around the world, it certainly wouldn't be a lock.

We won MLB's championship. That's good enough for me.

batmanZoSo
06-12-2006, 10:09 AM

The Sox are the World Champions. I don't know when this "World Series Champions" stuff came about, but it sounds stupid and I'm not saying it.

MLB is it. If you win it all, you're the champions of the world. Just because the game is only played in two countries, doesn't mean all countries aren't invited to play. The best of the best are in it and the Sox are the World Champions.

TornLabrum
06-12-2006, 10:18 AM
The Sox are the World Champions. I don't know when this "World Series Champions" stuff came about, but it sounds stupid and I'm not saying it.

MLB is it. If you win it all, you're the champions of the world. Just because the game is only played in two countries, doesn't mean all countries aren't invited to play. The best of the best are in it and the Sox are the World Champions.

No, the only teams that are invited are the 30 teams in major league baseball. That includes 29 teams in the United States and one team in Canada. No one has invited any teams from anywhere else into MLB.

miker
06-12-2006, 10:31 AM
No. In fact, the very name "World Series" is a misnomer -- if anything it should be the North American Series. Not the same ring, I realize.

In the early 20th Century, when the only baseball being played in the world was being played in the U.S., calling it the World Series was, in a sense, accurate. But now it isn't. You can argue keeping the name based on tradition, but let's not fool ourselves. While the World Series champion would be the heavy favorite in any tournament involving the champions of other leagues around the world, it certainly wouldn't be a lock.

Maybe when everyone else plays the same 162-game schedule from April to October, we can appease the politically correct and make it a true "World" series. "Live from U.S. Cellular Field, the White Sox host the Orix Blue Wave in interleague play..."

Thome25
06-12-2006, 10:32 AM

You're right the "best of the best" are in MLB The best players from around the world come to play in our league and have been invited to play in our league.

Some of the best players in MLB are from around the world not just North America.

That's why The Champion in the MLB which just so happens to be our WHITE SOX deserves to be called WORLD CHAMPIONS not just "World SERIES Champions" (Which I refuse to say also.) or "MLB Champions". Because we have played and triumphed over the best players and teams in THE WORLD.

SoxFan76
06-12-2006, 10:35 AM
The Sox are the World Series champions. I don't recall Korea and Japan playing in the AL West last year.

I love this country, but "World Champions" just sounds like another reason to make it seem as if no other country exists and we are the only piece of land that matters.

batmanZoSo
06-12-2006, 10:36 AM
No, the only teams that are invited are the 30 teams in major league baseball. That includes 29 teams in the United States and one team in Canada. No one has invited any teams from anywhere else into MLB.
What does it matter where a particular team plays? This isn't the World Cup. Teams represent cities on a for-hire basis, not because it's their city or their heritage. The point is, all the best players from around the world are playing in MLB. The games just happen to be played here.

HomeFish
06-12-2006, 11:02 AM
We are the World Champions by virtue of being the World Series Champions. Rejecting the title "World Series Champions" would be like rejecting the title "AL Champions" for a team that was from the AL and won it all.

cbotnyse
06-12-2006, 11:15 AM
This is the same problem along the lines of, "there are too many flags on my replica trophy!!!!"

I dont mind what they say, we won the world series, and I like it, but my replica ring is too small, my replica trophy has too many flags, and my tee shirt says World Series Champions! this sucks!

batmanZoSo
06-12-2006, 11:19 AM
We are the World Champions by virtue of being the World Series Champions. Rejecting the title "World Series Champions" would be like rejecting the title "AL Champions" for a team that was from the AL and won it all.

No, the issue is "World Series Champions" replacing the phrase "World Champions."

****, the Sox won the damn World Series.

ewokpelts
06-12-2006, 11:47 AM
mlb has been doing this for years.....
it's not like boston's championship tees say world champs and ours say world series champs

what actually irks me is that mlb made a lot of al championship gear that can easily double as WS champ gear....notice on some al champ pennants that "american league" is very small, but the WS logo is very big

Gene

GOGOGOPODS
06-12-2006, 11:51 AM
World Series Champions... That thing we won called the World Series, well we won it.... so World Series Champions. But who cares, as long as I hear Champions with the White Sox, I am happy and proud and am hungry for another!

itsnotrequired
06-12-2006, 12:17 PM
mlb has been doing this for years.....
it's not like boston's championship tees say world champs and ours say world series champs

Gene

Actually, I've seen quite a bit of Red Sox gear that simply says World Champions but I can't say the same for the White Sox.

At the end of the day, it doesn't really matter though since the team that wins the World Series is recognized as the best team in the world.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is deluding themselves.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-12-2006, 12:21 PM
The Sox are the World Series champions. I don't recall Korea and Japan playing in the AL West last year.

I love this country, but "World Champions" just sounds like another reason to make it seem as if no other country exists and we are the only piece of land that matters.

This is PC bull****. MLB has featured The World Series since 1903. It is the superior baseball league in the world featuring the world's best players.

Another example of why Bud Selig should be banned for life.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-12-2006, 12:27 PM
:whocares

batmanZoSo
06-12-2006, 12:30 PM

Ugh. Again, who says Japanese and Koreans can't play baseball?

What if there was an MLB team in Seoul? Or Paris? They'd be about as Korean and French as the White Sox are American or Illinoisan or Chicagoan--id est not much. Putting MLB teams around the world does not legitimize the phrase "World Series" or "World Champion" in any way, nor does it need to.

White Sox Randy
06-12-2006, 12:31 PM

Yes, this keeps me awake at night also - along with the nightmare I have about paying all those taxes when I win the $400 million lottery.

And, it bugs the crap out of me when I have so much sex that I'm sore. Life is a bitch.

I want Mags back
06-12-2006, 12:41 PM
:threadblows::threadsucks

VenturaSoxFan23
06-12-2006, 01:27 PM
Does it make what the Sox accomplished last year any less important? No.

SOXfnNlansing
06-12-2006, 04:47 PM

Keep the posts coming in and GO WHITE SOX!!!!!! I agree with you. MLB Champions is so ......... well it's not World Champions that's for sure. I guess the twisting of the language is just a sign of the times we're living in. It's even creeped into baseball. What's next, Terrific Bowl Champion Chicago Bears?

digdagdug23
06-12-2006, 05:04 PM

Oh, quite the contrary, we let Canada in...........infact they are like a whole nuther world..........:wink:

vegyrex
06-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Wow, this is much ado about nothing. :wink:

ChiSoxLifer
06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
White Sox and champions are in the same sentence. Plenty good enough for me.

thomas35forever
06-12-2006, 05:48 PM
Who cares how we're referred to? We're champions, aren't we?

DumpJerry
06-12-2006, 05:59 PM
Ok...........this resembles those off season threads where we wind up saying "I miss baseball" or "how soon do pitchers and catchers report?"

Come on, we have 100 games before the playoff being, let's concentrate on what is important here: the next game on the White Sox' schedule!

QCIASOXFAN
06-12-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm not pickey

TDog
06-12-2006, 06:38 PM
The title "World Series Champions" isn't a slight against the White Sox. I heard the phrase applied to previous Series winners, including the Red Sox. Actually, because the three previous series winners were wild card teams, they weren't even champions of a division.

When baseball realigns someday and does away with the American and National leagues, they will probably take the "World" out of World Series.

Even the World Cup champions aren't called the word champions of football.

Ol' No. 2
06-12-2006, 06:43 PM
How about "Galactic Champions"?

http://heasarc.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/cosmic/gifs/milkyway.jpg

SouthSide_HitMen
06-12-2006, 07:16 PM
The title "World Series Champions" isn't a slight against the White Sox. I heard the phrase applied to previous Series winners, including the Red Sox. Actually, because the three previous series winners were wild card teams, they weren't even champions of a division.

When baseball realigns someday and does away with the American and National leagues, they will probably take the "World" out of World Series.

Even the World Cup champions aren't called the word champions of football.

"We're the world champions of the world!"

Rob Dibble - 1990 after he and the Cincinnati Reds won the World Series over the Oakland A's to become World Champions. Bud Selig would later ban all references to "the world" by the October MLB champion to promote is pet project - the World Baseball Championship which nobody gave a rats ass about last March (except concerned MLB executives who watched their multi million dollar investments put at risk to serve the whims of "The World's Worst Commissioner" (this side of Gary Bettman)).

I want Mags back
06-12-2006, 09:02 PM
"We're the world champions of the world!"

Rob Dibble - 1990 after he and the Cincinnati Reds won the World Series over the Oakland A's to become World Champions. Bud Selig would later ban all references to "the world" by the October MLB champion to promote is pet project - the World Baseball Championship which nobody gave a rats ass about last March (except concerned MLB executives who watched their multi million dollar investments put at risk to serve the whims of "The World's Worst Commissioner" (this side of Gary Bettman)).

thanks for writing the stupid commishers name. Reminded me SC game 4 is on.:D:

IlliniSox4Life
06-12-2006, 10:19 PM
I forgot, didn't we win the World Series? What is so wrong with being called the World Series Champions? It's THE EXACT SAME THING. It's not like they are shortening it to MLB Champions. World Series has the name World in it. It implies we won the series that is the best in the world and thus are the champions of the world. How is World Series Champions and World Champions any different?

JohnBasedowYoda
06-13-2006, 12:17 AM
i'm here for the funnel cakes.

Sox-o-matic
06-13-2006, 01:00 AM
World Champs and World Series Champs mean the same thing to me so I dont care what they want to call it. MLB offers the best competetion in the universe and the Sox proved they were the best in MLB.

Next...

markopat
06-13-2006, 01:51 AM
i'm here for the funnel cakes.

and Churros!

SCHWING... (or wait...was that politically incorrect?)

WE ROCK!

IronFisk
06-13-2006, 01:57 AM
It does bug me to be called "World Series Champions". I can't explain it, but it's hollow. "World Champions" has much more meaning to me. That's just me, it really doesn't matter, ok?

TornLabrum
06-13-2006, 07:08 AM
It does bug me to be called "World Series Champions". I can't explain it, but it's hollow. "World Champions" has much more meaning to me. That's just me, it really doesn't matter, ok?

I don't care if they call us North American Champions. We ALL know what it means.

SoxFan76
06-13-2006, 09:24 AM
Wow, this is much ado about nothing. :wink:

I agree.