PDA

View Full Version : Metrodome

thomas35forever
06-12-2006, 12:28 AM
So I'm gonna be going up to the Twin Cities later this week for my cousin's wedding. We're planning to go watch the Twins play the Red Sox on Thursday night. Does anyone have any tips for seeing games at the Metrodome?

Jjav829
06-12-2006, 12:29 AM
So I'm gonna be going up to the Twin Cities later this week for my cousin's wedding. We're planning to go watch the Twins play the Red Sox on Thursday night. Does anyone have any tips for seeing games at the Metrodome?

Bring a jacket in case they have the A/C blowing out that day. :smile: :bandance:

TornLabrum
06-12-2006, 12:52 AM
If you leave during an inning be prepared to wait to be held until there is a break in the action. The ushers there do it right.

Oh, and hang onto your headgear when you leave. The difference in air pressure could blow it off your head.

itsnotrequired
06-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Get a Dome Dog. I went last year and I believe they cost $5. It is a foot long dog on a bakery bun. Kosher-esque in girth. One of those will fill you up for half a day.

chisoxmike
06-12-2006, 01:06 AM
The garbage dome is a **** hole.

Thats all I have to say.

DumpJerry
06-12-2006, 01:16 AM
The garbage dome is a **** hole.

Thats all I have to say.
I second that. Go to the Minnesota Zoo instead. It's really cool-mostly outdoors (unlike the Baggie Dome).

If the weather is nice, you really won't want to go.

If the weather is lousy, you really won't want to go.

If there is no weather at all, you really won't want to go.

If you're guaranteed of seeing both starters pitching perfect games, you really won't want to go.

If you are offered a pass to sit on the bench in the dugout during the game, you really won't want to go.

If you are guaranteed of being given a lottery ticket which will earn you $55,000,000 after taxes, you really won't want to go.

BTW, it's a piece of ****.

chisoxmike
06-12-2006, 01:24 AM
I second that. Go to the Minnesota Zoo instead. It's really cool-mostly outdoors (unlike the Baggie Dome).

If the weather is nice, you really won't want to go.

If the weather is lousy, you really won't want to go.

If there is no weather at all, you really won't want to go.

If you're guaranteed of seeing both starters pitching perfect games, you really won't want to go.

If you are offered a pass to sit on the bench in the dugout during the game, you really won't want to go.

If you are guaranteed of being given a lottery ticket which will earn you $55,000,000 after taxes, you really won't want to go.

BTW, it's a piece of ****.

a piece indeed!

DumpJerry
06-12-2006, 01:29 AM
a piece indeed!
I used to live up there in the 80's when it first opened. Used to go Sox games there, but gave up because it never felt like I was at a baseball game. Saw the '84 Bears in a game there (Jimmy Mac came off the bench in the second half and put 21 points on the board before you knew what happened) and it was ok (the Bears were great, but the experience would have been better outside).

Some sports (baseball, football) are meant to be seen in the great outdoors. Period.

Nellie_Fox
06-12-2006, 02:12 AM
I used to live up there in the 80's when it first opened. Used to go Sox games there, but gave up because it never felt like I was at a baseball game. Saw the '84 Bears in a game there (Jimmy Mac came off the bench in the second half and put 21 points on the board before you knew what happened) and it was ok (the Bears were great, but the experience would have been better outside).

Some sports (baseball, football) are meant to be seen in the great outdoors. Period.Seriously, it's like watching a baseball game being played in some warehouse. I've gone up there a few times when the Sox were in town, but I just can't bring myself to do it anymore. About the only thing positive I can say is that you can find really cheap parking within a short walking distance. I mean like under $10 cheap.

Edward
06-12-2006, 03:06 AM
This thread is making me re-consider my trip at the end of September to catch a couple games (more importantly the one that isn't televised). Is it really not worth it? I've never been.

TornLabrum
06-12-2006, 09:04 AM
This thread is making me re-consider my trip at the end of September to catch a couple games (more importantly the one that isn't televised). Is it really not worth it? I've never been.

It's major league baseball. I'm not a big fan of the dome, but it's still baseball. I'd watch a major league game if it was played on the back 40 or inside a warehouse. Heck, I'd watch a minor league game under those circumstances.

itsnotrequired
06-12-2006, 10:04 AM

If you already have the tripped planned, are going with friends, etc., then there is absolutely no reason to cancel the trip. Like voodoo said, its still a Sox game.

Now if you were faced with the choice of visiting only one new MLB park this season, the Metrodome should not be on the top of your list.

GOGOGOPODS
06-12-2006, 12:08 PM

Bring ear plugs!!! They call that stadium the rollerdome for a reason

sox1970
06-12-2006, 12:16 PM
Go to Hubert's across the street until about 15 minutes before game time. Don't enter the dome until you have to. It's bloody dreadful.

C-Dawg
06-12-2006, 05:40 PM

By all means, go! Someday it will be gone, and you'll be sorry you missed what was probably the worst new ballpark ever built.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-12-2006, 07:03 PM
Oh, and hang onto your headgear when you leave. The difference in air pressure could blow it off your head.

They added that feature on purpose.

http://www.jyanet.com/mtm/maryhat-s.jpg

VH1 Behind the scenes.

http://www.jyanet.com/mtm/020514.shtml

DumpJerry
06-12-2006, 07:09 PM
No man, go must go. We need an account other than Farmio and Singleton to get us excited about how the game turned out.

This is your mission from WSI. Go forth, young man, go forth.

Edward
06-12-2006, 07:19 PM
No man, go must go. We need an account other than Farmio and Singleton to get us excited about how the game turned out.

Yeah, I think I'm still going to make the trip. Nice little weekend get-away, and I like to check out other parks. Plus I could go to the Gophers game and see how the place sets up for football. If i go, I'll be sure to fully document the "lost" SOX game and make it available for purchase in rich leatherbound books.

thomas35forever
06-12-2006, 09:46 PM

Do you want me to provide my own account when I come back?

Foulke You
06-12-2006, 09:52 PM
Edward, you should make the trip. It is ALWAYS fun to see the Sox on the road even if the park ain't the best. As far as Metrodome seating tips, I recommend the LF seats. Last time I went there was back in '04, the LF seats were reasonably priced and were General Admission (!) so if you get there early enough, you can sit right by the outfield wall. The sightlines from those seats are also very good. Do NOT sit down the foul lines in the outfield. A lot of the seats face the wrong direction (for Vikings football) and you'll be tilting your neck to see home plate.

For eats/drinks, before the game I went to Maxwell's (excellent fish and chips, friendly bartenders) and after the game to the bar right outside the dome called "Hubert's". Don't expect the pizza to be anything better than a Tombstone Frozen though.:D:

For my full detailed report from '04 you can check this link: http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=33933&highlight=Metrodome+Experience

Have fun and bring back a White Sox Winner!:cool:

DumpJerry
06-12-2006, 10:28 PM
If you want a trip you'll never forget, take an extra day or two (if you can) and drive to the North Shore. The North Shore is the drive along Lake Superior past Duluth. You'll be there in late Sept which is a little bit before the colors peak, but still is breathless.

If you can't get away from the Twin Cities, take a drive along Minnehaha Parkway with a stop at Minnehaha Falls in Minneapolis. You'll swear you're not in a major city.

Also do the drive along the Mississippi River in St. Paul. Real nice.

Avoid the Mall of America unless you need a new tee shirt. Keep in mind that there is no sales tax on clothing up there and prices are a little less than here.

TornLabrum
06-12-2006, 10:46 PM
I might as well put in a plug here, for anybody who might have the scratch.

The Windy City Sox Fans are putting together a road trip for the series at the Dome August 18-20. The price includes round trip airfare, hotel (same as the Sox), and tickets and transportation for all three games. The price (right now but it could change if airfare changes due to fuel prices) is $590.00 per person based on double occupancy.

There are only a few more days to make reservations, so if you're interested, call for information from the WCSF at (708) 424-8520.

cwsfannick
06-12-2006, 11:13 PM
I went up to Minny last September for the three game series against the Sox. I thought the trip was extremely easy. 1 hour flight. If you stay downtown then take the light rail system (very clean and payment of the fare is on the honor system), within walking distance of my hotel and the Twins fans were extremely courteous. The Dome is a terrible baseball venue, especially in the day if you try to locate a fly ball against the roof. I would make the trip once again.

Edward
06-13-2006, 12:25 AM
I might as well put in a plug here, for anybody who might have the scratch.

The Windy City Sox Fans are putting together a road trip for the series at the Dome August 18-20. The price includes round trip airfare, hotel (same as the Sox), and tickets and transportation for all three games. The price (right now but it could change if airfare changes due to fuel prices) is $590.00 per person based on double occupancy.

There are only a few more days to make reservations, so if you're interested, call for information from the WCSF at (708) 424-8520.

Not sure if I could come up for the money for that, but you should make a post and sticky it for people that are interested :smile: