PDA

View Full Version : Gammons on Kenny Lofton

Meatpants
02-06-2002, 04:04 PM
From his current mailbag:

Q: Is Kenny Lofton the missing piece the Chicago White Sox need to make it past the first round of the playoffs? With Lofton being injured for most of the season last year, will he be anywhere close to the player he was? -- Brian Schaefer, Tinley Park, Ill.

A: I think it depends on how healthy Lofton remains. When Kenny is healthy and getting on base 38 percent of the time, he's still one heckuva player. The White Sox got just a .330 on-base percentage in the leadoff spot last season, so if he comes back, of course, it's a big help. The White Sox have a chance to be a very, very good team if Lofton and Frank Thomas come back healthy.

MattSharp
02-06-2002, 04:19 PM
PGam usually knows his stuff. I think this comment is a good sign

Meatpants
02-06-2002, 04:24 PM
Yeah, nothing earthshattering there, if Lofton is healthy he'll probably be good. I'm a believer, especially since they didn't give up anything to get him, and they can always cut him loose if he gets hurt/is unproductive. In any case, I don't think their success or failure will be due to who plays center (Singleton, Lofton, Rowand, etc). If the pitching comes thru, they win. If it doesn't, they don't.

KempersRS
02-06-2002, 04:27 PM
Originally posted by MattSharp
PGam usually knows his stuff. I think this comment is a good sign

Negative.

doublem23
02-06-2002, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by KempersRS

Negative.

LOL! I was just gonna say....

:boston
Kenny Lofton? Doesn't he still play for the Braves? All I know is he doesn't have the skills of, say, Trot Nixon.

Meatpants
02-06-2002, 04:40 PM
:lol:

Sample mailbag:

Q: Peter, great column. I was wondering what you thought about the Scott Rolen situation? Are the Phillies going to make a deal or work on resigning him?

A: Johnny Damon finally gives the Red Sox a legitimate threat at leadoff. With Damon and a motivated Manny Ramirez, Boston may end the Yankees dominance of the AL East.

Q: I was wondering what happened to Pokey Reese? Two years ago, the Reds thought so highly of him they didn't want to include him in the Griffey deal, now he's hanging onto his career in Colorado.

A: Great question. The Red Sox success always hinges on the health of Pedro; as he goes, so go the Red Sox. Hopefully for us...I mean, for THEM, John Burkett has a great year.

etc...

FarWestChicago
02-06-2002, 04:53 PM
Originally posted by Meatpants

Sample mailbag:
Q: I was wondering what happened to Pokey Reese? Two years ago, the Reds thought so highly of him they didn't want to include him in the Griffey deal, now he's hanging onto his career in Colorado.

A: Great question. The Red Sox success always hinges on the health of Pedro; as he goes, so go the Red Sox. Hopefully for us...I mean, for THEM, John Burkett has a great year.

etc... LOL!!! :)

Chisox_cali
02-06-2002, 08:47 PM

etc...

Wait, That cannot be a real one. He doesnt even answer the question for crying out loud!

FarWestChicago
02-06-2002, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Chisox_cali

Wait, That cannot be a real one. He doesnt even answer the question for crying out loud! Yeah, but it's a very well done parody. :smile:

AsInWreck
02-06-2002, 08:53 PM

Wait, That cannot be a real one. He doesnt even answer the question for crying out loud!

You're a sharp one, Mr. Cali

PaleHoseGeorge
02-06-2002, 08:53 PM
Sample mailbag:

Q: Peter, great column. I was wondering what you thought about the Scott Rolen situation? Are the Phillies going to make a deal or work on resigning him?

A: Johnny Damon finally gives the Red Sox a legitimate threat at leadoff. With Damon and a motivated Manny Ramirez, Boston may end the Yankees dominance of the AL East.

etc...

LMAO! To hear Gammons tell it, nothing significant ever happens in baseball unless it involves one of the A.L. East teams.

O-V-E-R-R-A-T-E-D.

Chisox_cali
02-06-2002, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by AsInWreck

You're a sharp one, Mr. Cali

Sorry I meant to use a smiley or a different color I swear!!! :smile: Whats a good color for feeling like an idiot?

But really I wouldnt be surprised if he did answer questions like that in real life. I wouldnt put it past him. Just Ask a question and say "Sox" without designating a Color that'll really throw him off.

Daver
02-06-2002, 09:02 PM

Sorry I meant to use a smiley or a different color I swear!!! :smile: Whats a good color for feeling like an idiot?

May I suggest tomato ?

PaleHoseGeorge
02-06-2002, 09:03 PM
I wouldnt put it past him. Just Ask a question and say "Sox" without designating a Color that'll really throw him off.

The worst part of living in Ohio was telling people I was a Sox fan, and them getting a confused look, then replying, "I thought you were from Chicago?"

Grrrr....

doublem23
02-06-2002, 09:05 PM
But really I wouldnt be surprised if he did answer questions like that in real life. I wouldnt put it past him. Just Ask a question and say "Sox" without designating a Color that'll really throw him off.

There's two?

kermittheefrog
02-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Boston is weird in that I think here and there he's dead on and then other times he doesn't have a ****ing clue. My guess is when he doesn't have a clue he panics and starts talking about the RedSox. I may have just solved the "mystery" of Boston here :cool:

Chisox_cali
02-06-2002, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

The worst part of living in Ohio was telling people I was a Sox fan, and them getting a confused look, then replying, "I thought you were from Chicago?"

Grrrr....

That sucks! :smile: I am always sure to tell someone that the Cubs Suck before I even say "I like the Sox", when I say I used to live in Chicago.

Humorous side story, I was wearing a White Sox hooded Sweatshirt that just says "Chicago" on it like the road jerseys and I actually had some one ask me "Is that for the band or the state?" :cool:

PaleHoseGeorge
02-06-2002, 09:16 PM
Humorous side story, I was wearing a White Sox hooded Sweatshirt that just says "Chicago" on it like the road jerseys and I actually had some one ask me "Is that for the band or the state?" :cool:

Now that's a wonderful story from the Golden State. I think that guy is applying for a job in West's department.

:D:

FarWestChicago
02-06-2002, 09:17 PM
Humorous side story, I was wearing a White Sox hooded Sweatshirt that just says "Chicago" on it like the road jerseys and I actually had some one ask me "Is that for the band or the state?" :cool: And the best part is that California Gas Brain also thought the state of Chicago was on the East Coast. :smile:

FarWestChicago
02-06-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by PaleHoseGeorge

Now that's a wonderful story from the Golden State. I think that guy is applying for a job in West's department.

:D: I only have one Californian in my department. And his father is NOT from California. He wasn't allowed to be a typical Gas Brain. :smile:

Daver
02-06-2002, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
And the best part is that California Gas Brain also thought the state of Chicago was on the East Coast. :smile:

Are you trying to say it isn't?

longshot7
02-07-2002, 02:27 AM
Originally posted by FarWestChicago
I only have one Californian in my department. And his father is NOT from California. He wasn't allowed to be a typical Gas Brain. :smile:

Hey! I resemble that...

FarWestChicago
02-07-2002, 02:28 AM
Originally posted by longshot7

Hey! I resemble that... Sorry about that. :smile:

voodoochile
02-07-2002, 02:39 AM
I knew when I started reading this thread that it would rapidly deteriorate when the second post said that Boston usually knows what he is talking about.

"What? I mean... How about them Red Sox..."