PDA

View Full Version : Best game of the year is a loss??

MRM
06-11-2006, 11:07 PM
There is no question in my mind that tonight was the best game I've seen the Sox play all year. Granted, I'm in Tennessee and don't get to see many of them.

This team simply did not quit, even when their manager seemingly did. Ozzie pulled Konerko, Dye, and Crede thinking it was over. He let the kid who will almost certainly be sent back to the minors after this game keep going and going.

I'm not knocking Ozzie. He did what he should have done...pull your important starters so there is no chance of hurting themself, keep the kid in there to save the bullpen, etc.

By the same token, ozzie has built a team that WILL NOT QUIT no matter the odds. Watching Thome call over on-deck hitter Cintron for a chat in the event another improbable base hit occurred showed me all I need to know about this team. The TEAM wasn't about to give up.

To be able to bring the tying run to the plate after being down by 8 runs entering the inning and with every indication that the manager was giving up on the game is incredible. I'll bet Ozzie learned something from his players tonight.

GO SOX

JUribe1989
06-11-2006, 11:09 PM
I guarantee you the Indians are pissed right now. I know I was after that Jose Paniagua game when he flipped off the crowd after letting the Twins back in to it in 2003.

MRM
06-11-2006, 11:30 PM
I grew up 20 miles from Comiskey and went to 20+ games a year back then. When the Cell opened I lived in Ohio and made arrangements to make a special trip to go to the first game played in "New Comiskey" (very cold april day). Tried to get tix for the last game in Comiskey, but struck out. Last year looked for playoff tix...best I found was $1800/seat for upper deck (Ive never sat in the upper deck in my life). I'm THRILLED to see the Sox are selling tix, again.

My random thoughts:

1) This years team, while not performing quite to potential still has the 2nd best record in MLB. Imagine what might happen if they ever put it all together.

2) I read the other day the "thoughts" of some of the godfathers of this group from a few years ago concerning Kenny Williams. Not only calling for his head, but wanting it on a silver platter...I think it's about time those responsible print a retraction.

3) Ozzie, love him or hate him is, if not the BEST manager in baseball...he's certainly the most entertaining.

4) I still don't miss Larussa and think his firing was two years too late...

(Note: on the last one, I"m biased in favor of Jimmy Piersol, for those who remember that situation)

jabrch
06-11-2006, 11:32 PM
I was there today. I was there yesterday. Yesterday was a better game - all around.

Garcia was awful today. The game was awful today. The 9th inning might have been fun - but not fun enough.

Saturday was one of the better games I have been to in a long long time.

jabrch
06-11-2006, 11:34 PM
I guarantee you the Indians are pissed right now. I know I was after that Jose Paniagua game when he flipped off the crowd after letting the Twins back in to it in 2003.

That was the worst game I ever went to. When Paniagua stepped onto the hill, we all knew we were in trouble.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-11-2006, 11:36 PM
That comeback today served notice this team will never go down without a fight. I don't think Ozzie "gave up" as much as he knows regulars will need more rest than in prior years due to the fact the bowl of greenies in every clubhouse has been removed (though Jason Grimsley has a source in Mexico).

itsnotrequired
06-11-2006, 11:38 PM
It is impossible to have the best game of the year be a loss. The 9th was fun but without a win, who cares? Even with a win it still would have been a lackluster game.

Brian26
06-11-2006, 11:43 PM
There is no question in my mind that tonight was the best game I've seen the Sox play all year. Granted, I'm in Tennessee and don't get to see many of them.

It was a nice comeback in the 9th inning, but by no means is this even close to being the best played game of the season. Not even in the top 10. You're living in the moment of that 9th inning. The rest of the game was fairly brutal.

You are correct, though. Ozzie quit on his team in the sense that he left Tracey in there way too long. I don't mind the pulling of the starters as much, but he definitely was using this as a chance to evaluate Tracey. Evaluate pitchers in the minors and in spring training, but not in a pennant race.

Brian26
06-11-2006, 11:44 PM
I read the other day the "thoughts" of some of the godfathers of this group from a few years ago concerning Kenny Williams. Not only calling for his head, but wanting it on a silver platter...I think it's about time those responsible print a retraction.

:?:

oeo
06-11-2006, 11:53 PM
I think these last few games are going to be looked at as the "turning point" to our season. Sure they lost, but that has to bring the team that much closer together and feel like they are invincible. Too bad it was too little, too late, but I'm happy the way they went out. Bring that to Texas and beyond.

soxstarter
06-12-2006, 12:16 AM
It is impossible to have the best game of the year be a loss. The 9th was fun but without a win, who cares? Even with a win it still would have been a lackluster game.

I agree. Though I must admit, like Ozzie, I should've held out for the ninth inning. (I had quit watching at that point). Cause I understand it was a show. But c'mon guys...let's not forget "The only statistic that counts....W" From the Grinder Rules.

PAPChiSox729
06-12-2006, 12:20 AM
This might have been one of the most entertaining games of the year. Encouraging may be a better word. But it was not the best game by any means. I would not want to see the Sox play like this if they make it to the playoffs. A lot went well tonight; a lot sucked, too.

IlliniSox4Life
06-12-2006, 05:16 AM
How many wins do we have right now? Thats how many games were better than this. This is number one right after all of those though.

Deuce
06-12-2006, 06:10 AM
2) I read the other day the "thoughts" of some of the godfathers of this group from a few years ago concerning Kenny Williams. Not only calling for his head, but wanting it on a silver platter...I think it's about time those responsible print a retraction.Riiiiight. And did you read every post since those original posts to make sure they haven't already retracted?

Given some of his earlier deals (Wells, Ritchie, Koch, etc...), wouldn't you have called for his head?

Its pretty easy to sit on a high horse after a championship and criticize others for questioning the administration years ago, but those "godfathers" endured those times as they happened and posted accordingly. It is what they felt that day, and their opinions evolved with the times. Stay on here a few years, post 5-10 responces a day and I'm sure some fledging member in time will say the same thing you are currently saying about you.

Deuce

Thome25
06-12-2006, 06:37 AM
2) I read the other day the "thoughts" of some of the godfathers of this group from a few years ago concerning Kenny Williams. Not only calling for his head, but wanting it on a silver platter...I think it's about time those responsible print a retraction.

Hindsight is 20/20 on any mistake you make. It's easy for you to sit back and say that all of the naysayers were wrong about KW.

Were the naysayers right at the time? I'd have to say in alot of ways YES because the White Sox weren't were they needed to be for alot of years under KW. Sure KW has made some pretty good decisions over the years but up until last year he also has made alot of bad ones too.

Alot of second guessing should've been going on regarding the White Sox because as a franchise they weren't accomplishing what them and the fans truly deserved and that was a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP. No one was immune to it especially not upper management i.e. KW and JR. No one loves and adores the White Sox more than we do and no one has more of a right to second guess them (including KW.) than we do.

Thank God for us that KW has made himself into one of the best GM's in the game today. In alot of ways I believe that alot of his failures and alot of that
criticism by the fans and the media has given him that hunger and desire to prove people wrong and put a winner out there on the field.

The point is KW was the one who gave us what we've waited our whole lives to see and what alot of our family members never lived to see. We are forever thankful of what he has done. But, this isn't the time or place to be looking back on the he said/she said garbage regarding KW.

We're WORLD CHAMPIONS for God's sake ENJOY IT!!

jenn2080
06-12-2006, 07:03 AM
I could not even watch the game. Freddy was horrible. The 9th was great but all in all that game was about as ridiculous as the ESPN announcers. You can keep that game. We played one good inning. Props to BA for a good game though a single and a HR...

I want Mags back
06-12-2006, 11:57 AM
This Game Sucked

MRM
06-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Riiiiight. And did you read every post since those original posts to make sure they haven't already retracted?

Given some of his earlier deals (Wells, Ritchie, Koch, etc...), wouldn't you have called for his head?

Its pretty easy to sit on a high horse after a championship and criticize others for questioning the administration years ago, but those "godfathers" endured those times as they happened and posted accordingly. It is what they felt that day, and their opinions evolved with the times. Stay on here a few years, post 5-10 responces a day and I'm sure some fledging member in time will say the same thing you are currently saying about you.

Deuce

Wasn't trying to ruffle any feathers by any means. That comment was completely tongue in cheek. We ALL felt that way at the time, myself included :D:

slobes
06-12-2006, 03:47 PM
I would say our best game of the season was on Saturday, with Gooch hitting the game winner in the 11th.

Chicken Dinner
06-12-2006, 04:06 PM
Garcia getting peppered can not be the best game of the year. Saturday .......now that was a game.

MRM
06-13-2006, 02:19 AM
Garcia getting peppered can not be the best game of the year. Saturday .......now that was a game.

I guess my point didn't get across very well. What I was saying was it's the best I've seen them stay together and stay focused all year, even in the face of major adversity.

My wife wanted to change the channel down by 8. I said "no way, I've been watching baseball far too long to believe this game is over". She rolled her eyes as I recalled a game earlier this year when the Sox scored 8 in an inning. Half way thru the rally she simply said she could't believe what she was seeing.

I didn't mean it was the "best game" in respect to great overall perfomance, only in that it is the game that showed exactly what this team is made of...even to ozzie. If there is a game that defines this season, I think that one will be it. And they sure carried it over tonight :D::D:

Hitmen77
06-26-2006, 09:59 AM
The Sox do it again!

Yes, I hate all losses and yesterday's counted in the standings as much as any other loss. But, you have to love how, for the 2nd time in 2 weeks, the Sox make a dramatic comeback attempt from what looked like a blowout.

In the last 19 games: 15 wins and 4 losses. AND 2 of the 4 losses include dramatic comeback attempts.

Jurr
06-26-2006, 11:37 AM
Riiiiight. And did you read every post since those original posts to make sure they haven't already retracted?

Deuce
Well said. Everybody that was part of this site when Billy Koch ruined the momentum of the Everett/Alomar trades with his walkoff meatball against the Devil Rays, the "Veteran Presence" fiasco, and Corpseball (still one of the greatest photoshop jobs EVER) had a lot of complaining to do...all of it well placed. Being a Sox fan used to be one of the most stressful situations to deal with for a long time, and nobody on this site was enjoying the bridesmaid routine in the Central.