PDA

View Full Version : Washington Nationals Question

Viva Medias B's
06-12-2006, 12:01 AM
This coming weekend, I'll be in Washington D.C. and will see the Nationals host the Yankees on Friday night. For those of you who have attended a Nasty Nats (Hawk's nickname) ballgame at RFK Stadium, what is it like? Are there bars/restaurants around RFK Stadium?

ilsox7
06-12-2006, 12:05 AM
My friends in DC have repeatedly said that attending Washington Nationals' games at home are the worst experience in MLB.

DSpivack
06-12-2006, 12:32 AM
My friends in DC have repeatedly said that attending Washington Nationals' games at home are the worst experience in MLB.
Well, at least they're continuing the tradition of Les 'Spos.

And there's nothing around RFK. Hang out in DuPont or Georgetown or Adams-Morgan afterwards.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-12-2006, 12:49 AM

RFK Stadium pales in comparison to Olympic Stadium (which is saying something). It was one of the worst stadiums I've ever been to.

Most seats are far from the action - either in the OF or upper deck which is quite steep and far from the action. The food is brutal though I read they improved it somewhat this year (the lines are still brutal this year) so eat before hand. There is nothing in the area to do before or after the game (near a Navy yeard and industrial area).

What we did (and suggest you do if you have the chance) is to take the Subway to the Stadium (The Armory stop) and plan to do something before or after the game elsewhere.

I_Liked_Manuel
06-12-2006, 10:29 AM
your best bet is to plan on drinking at a bar off either the capitol south or eastern market stops on the blue/orange line. it'll take you around 5-10 minutes on the metro to get to the game from either of those stops. pour house and hawk 'n dove are not too far from the capitol south metro stop. the last thing you want to do is to go to a bar that's right around the stadium.

buehrle4cy05
06-12-2006, 11:37 AM
RFK is about as bad as they get. The Nats have done all they can in making it resemble as baseball stadium, but the seats are uncomfortable and cramped, and there are a lot of overhang issues once you get in the back rows. If you're in the DC area, I'd go to an Orioles game if I had the chance.

AZChiSoxFan
06-12-2006, 01:29 PM
RFK Stadium pales in comparison to Olympic Stadium (which is saying something). It was one of the worst stadiums I've ever been to.

Most seats are far from the action - either in the OF or upper deck which is quite steep and far from the action. The food is brutal though I read they improved it somewhat this year (the lines are still brutal this year) so eat before hand. There is nothing in the area to do before or after the game (near a Navy yeard and industrial area).

What we did (and suggest you do if you have the chance) is to take the Subway to the Stadium (The Armory stop) and plan to do something before or after the game elsewhere.

Which stadium is worse, RFK or the HHH Metrodome?

SouthSide_HitMen
06-12-2006, 01:44 PM
Which stadium is worse, RFK or the HHH Metrodome?

Metrodome - nothing is worse - the SkyDome, Miller Park, Le Stade Olympique, Veterans Stadium, Shea Stadium all are (were) much better. I haven't been to Tampa or Florida's stadiums but it is hard to imagine anything worse than the Hubert Humphrey's Metrodome.

Pequod
06-12-2006, 02:03 PM
I've been to 2 Nats games. There's nothing around there and the food inside is nothing to speak of either. Stay away from the "super dog" (I think they call it). About 2 bites, has a nasty gray color to it, and costs nearly 5 bucks.

All in all, a pretty lousy experience at RFK, but at least its baseball (sort of...).

Max Power
06-12-2006, 02:37 PM
In April I went to a Nats game at RFK. There was a long rain delay before the game started, which worked out nicely because by the time they played there wasn't much of a crowd and I got to watch the game from a lot of angles, including the last 2 innings right behind the plate.
The stadium feels a lot like Three Rivers, Riverfront, etc. Though it has a tad more character with the curved roof. Seats in the OF are terrible because the overhang obscures some of the outfield. On the other hand, seats in the upper deck- especially the lower rows- are great around the infield. I sat 4th row UP behind the plate for a couple innings... awesome view, and not far from the field either.
The lower deck is bad as you get down the lines and in the high rows. The pitch of the seats isn't steep enough. Close to the plate is nice and close. Oh, and the bleachers on the lower deck vibrate/shake when the fans jump up and down. Pretty cool.
For food I only had an Italian sausage, which wasn't bad. There's no bars or restaurants around the stadium.
Overall, the stadium was pretty weak. I did enjoy getting the close view from behind the plate in the UP, as newer stadiums aren't built like that. Other than that it really didn't offer much.

DC Sox Fan
06-12-2006, 07:34 PM
Gotta agree with most of what's been said already. The area around RFK is dead... your best bets are to either hit up one of the bars I_Liked_Manuel mentioned, or go do some sightseeing (smithsonian stop on the metro is on the orange/blue lines, which also go right to RFK and is right off the mall for a ton of cool museums) or do like I usually do and tailgate it. The Italian Sausages are my favorite food there, and there are a decent selection of beers (Red Hook, Harp, Guiness and Smithwicks) depending on where in the park you go. If you're driving in, it all depends on where you're coming from as to where the best lot to go is, but I usually get a crew together and tailgate in lot 8 (just off 395, great access from the VA side) fire up the grill, toss the ball around and throw a few back.

Crowds are late arriving and early leaving, so you shouldn't have much problem with either the metro or parking, however it will be the Skankees, so big big crowds are expected.

Have fun!

slobes
06-12-2006, 10:07 PM
On a quasi-unrelated note, does anyone know how long they plan to play in RFK for? I wanna make sure to get out there while they're still playing there.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2006, 11:25 PM
I think the new stadium is slated to open in 2008.

Lip

Viva Medias B's
06-12-2006, 11:33 PM
On a quasi-unrelated note, does anyone know how long they plan to play in RFK for? I wanna make sure to get out there while they're still playing there.

The Nasty Nats broke ground on a new stadium (http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/was/ballpark/newstadium.jsp) this past May 4 and it is scheduled to open during the 2008 season. D.C. United of MLS is also planning a new stadium (http://dcunited.mlsnet.com/MLS/dcu/stadium/poplar_point/) of its own, but it isn't clear when they will leave RFK.

NDSox12
06-12-2006, 11:35 PM
I think the new stadium is slated to open in 2008.

Lip

Correct... 2008 is when the new stadium is supposed to be ready.

I'm actually a partial season ticket holder for the Nats. As others have said, RFK is one of the worst parks in the league. However, I still enjoy going to games there. My seats are almost exactly where Max Power was mentioning... 5th row of the upper deck directly behind home plate. Awesome view of the action from there.

I'll be at the game on Saturday. If the Yankees/Orioles games I've been to are any indication, there will probably be as many Yankees fans there as Nationals.

elrod
06-13-2006, 02:51 AM
I haven't been to any games this year but I went to a couple last year. I thought the atmosphere was great, actually, even though the stadium is a dump. There's nothing to do around RFK except tailgate, but there are lots of bars on Capitol Hill (2 or 3 Metro stops west). Tune Inn is my favorite on the Hill.

Brian26
06-13-2006, 10:17 PM
but the seats are uncomfortable and cramped, and there are a lot of overhang issues once you get in the back rows.

Sounds like north side shrine.

Trav
06-14-2006, 01:45 AM
I had a great time at the game I went to. I sat in the last row in the upperdeck behind the plate and it was the best upperdeck seat I have ever had. My buddy sat in the outfield at another game and couldn't see much.

Later on that game, we used the comiskey upgrade and sat behind the plate about halfway up on the main level. Again, good seats. By the end of the game we were about a dozen rows back. I enjoyed my time there and would go back.

I have no idea on where to party around the park. We got out of there because it is a long drive back to Norfolk.

Viva Medias B's
06-14-2006, 11:38 PM
Tomorrow morning, I'll be off to D.C. for the weekend. Have a nice weekend; please make it a safe one.

Go Sox!