PDA

View Full Version : Texas Series

SouthSoxFan
06-11-2006, 11:50 PM
We need to bring those bats from tonight's 9th inning down to Texas. A little payback is due after they took 2 of 3 in Chicago. The Rangers just finished up 18 innings and 7 hours of baseball at Fenway today. We won't see Millwood in this 4-game series at all, and the rest of their staff is no match for ours:

Mon: Contreras vs. Koronka
Tue: Garland vs. Loe
Wed: Vazquez vs. Padilla
Thu: Buehrle vs. Rheinecker

One thing I'm sure we're not looking forward to: it'll be just short of 100 degrees at game time every night this week.

I'll be out there with the family tomorrow night. Go Sox!

chisoxmike
06-11-2006, 11:57 PM
I think this is a big roadtrip for the Sox. They usually don't play well in Texas and the Reds arn't that bad. After the trip, they come home to play the Cardinals and Astros.

Going to be a tough two weeks. Nothing impossible, but I'm really interested to see how we fare in Texas.

GO SOX!:gulp:

digdagdug23
06-12-2006, 12:00 AM
the Reds arn't that bad.

Didn't the Flubs handle them pretty easily? Not to look past them or anything, but cumb ond. If the flubbies can do it..........

SouthSoxFan
06-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Didn't the Flubs handle them pretty easily? Not to look past them or anything, but cumb ond. If the flubbies can do it..........
Yeah, they're 9 games over .500, but they've been beating up on the central division of that other league. The toughest thing for us going to Cinci is Thome gets at most 3 ABs all weekend.

hawkjt
06-12-2006, 11:54 AM
I thought loe,padilla, and reinbecker basically kicked our butts last week at soxpark.

Maybe we figure something out after facing them last week but I do not have a good feel coming into a series where we face two leftys(koronka and reinbecker) and two guys that shut us down in our home park. Plus there is the texas homer factor in that park.

I would accept a split and move on to cinncy. Hopefully the NL is as weak as we think.

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2006, 12:18 PM
The key against the junk-throwing lefties is to wear them out. Don't swing at garbage. Make them throw strikes. Bunt to get them out of their rhythm and work up a sweat. Then do lots of damage against the Rangers' bullpen. Pods should be bunting every time up in order to get on base.

Thome ought to be able to tap into the jet stream and send lots of towering moon shots into the seats. Iguchi, Anderson, Crede, Dye and Konerko need to go with the pitches and go the other way to take advantage of the same thing. Anderson's defense will be huge in the massive right-center gap at Ameriquest.

Sox pitchers just need to throw strikes, avoid walks and thereby prevent big innings. At least Garcia won't be able to surrender walks.

CHISOXFAN13
06-12-2006, 12:24 PM
I thought loe,padilla, and reinbecker basically kicked our butts last week at soxpark.

Maybe we figure something out after facing them last week but I do not have a good feel coming into a series where we face two leftys(koronka and reinbecker) and two guys that shut us down in our home park. Plus there is the texas homer factor in that park.

I would accept a split and move on to cinncy. Hopefully the NL is as weak as we think.

The Sox hit Padilla very hard.

Fake Chet Lemon
06-12-2006, 12:24 PM
McCarthy seems to have success more times than not against the Rangers. If we were ever going to skip Garland for just one turn in the rotation, I'd love to see McCarthy get a start down there. Then put Garland back in rotation. Garland showed in the playoffs he's stronger after missing a turn anyway. (Yes, I know none of this will happen.) Otherwise we better score some runs for Big Jon to have a chance.

Hawkeroo1980
06-12-2006, 12:26 PM

we smoked Padilla

champagne030
06-12-2006, 12:57 PM
McCarthy seems to have success more times than not against the Rangers. If we were ever going to skip Garland for just one turn in the rotation, I'd love to see McCarthy get a start down there. Then put Garland back in rotation. Garland showed in the playoffs he's stronger after missing a turn anyway. (Yes, I know none of this will happen.) Otherwise we better score some runs for Big Jon to have a chance.

Put the :bong: away........

The Immigrant
06-12-2006, 01:19 PM
IIRC, Garland pitched rather well against the Rangers in Chicago, leaving with a 2-1 lead in the 7th or so (which the bullpen promptly caughed up).

We hit Padilla very well, having our biggest inning of the year against him (7).

oeo
06-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Garland is a starter, McCarthy is a bullpen guy, GET OVER IT. The crying about Garland is becoming very annoying. And now the Freddy crying is going to start after last night. :rolleyes: Yeah, let me tell you, these two guys are TERRIBLE.

North Sox Sider
06-12-2006, 01:23 PM
Wouldnt you say that the whole schedule starting in June has been fairly rough as it is?? It doesnt seem to get any easier until we get to Wrigley and then the O's come here.

Hitmen77
06-12-2006, 01:32 PM
We need to bring those bats from tonight's 9th inning down to Texas. A little payback is due after they took 2 of 3 in Chicago. The Rangers just finished up 18 innings and 7 hours of baseball at Fenway today. We won't see Millwood in this 4-game series at all, and the rest of their staff is no match for ours:

One thing I'm sure we're not looking forward to: it'll be just short of 100 degrees at game time every night this week.

The first 3 Texas starters we face have ERAs around 5.00. The Sox HAVE to take advantage of these pitchers and not make them look like Cy Young-for-a-day. Come on, guys!

...and if we have trouble with any of the 4 Texas starters, I hope we follow the gameplan from the last 2 series - keep the game close and then use a potent mix of our starting lineup and our bench to get to the opponents bullpen.

Minnie Me
06-12-2006, 01:45 PM

There is only two things in Texas we have to watch out for is Jr. and Jr. That is Hairston Jr. and Matthews Jr. maybe they will trade for Giffey as well?

oeo
06-12-2006, 02:17 PM
I think this is a big roadtrip for the Sox. They usually don't play well in Texas and the Reds arn't that bad. After the trip, they come home to play the Cardinals and Astros.

Going to be a tough two weeks. Nothing impossible, but I'm really interested to see how we fare in Texas.

They also usually don't play well in Anaheim (swept 'em), or against Oakland (swept 'em). And from what I've seen lately, they seem to have that heart and desire back from last year. I think Garland will turn it up this time around, after Ozzie's comments, and Freddy will be up to the task when he's called on again. It looks like things are shaping up at the right time, hopefully they execute.