PDA

View Full Version : *Official* At Least They Tried Postgame 6/11

chisoxmike
06-11-2006, 10:24 PM
Oh well. Winning the series against the Tigers and Indians this week was big.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-11-2006, 10:25 PM
Valiant Effort

The Dude
Oh well. Winning the series against the Tigers and Indians this week was big.
I think they tried and maybe got tired mike!:tongue:

tebman
Is it safe to say that Anderson has kept his job? :tongue:

eurotrash35
would have been nice to pull that one off. hopefully we can carry this over to arlington.

shes
06-11-2006, 10:26 PM
Who knows what could've happened . . . THome missed a homer by a couple feet, Mack hit a scorching liner right at their RF . . . oh well, great comeback anyway.

Deuce
So close...

Kogs35
great effort at the end too bad thome was 2 inches away. go get em tomorow at texas.

Chisox1500
Bull****. If you outhit the other team and they commit three errors they should win. No moral victories when you are the defending champ. They failed to take out division rival when they were down. No brownie points. This team is past that point.

MrRoboto83
That 9th inning was really fun to watch! Cleveland really has a bad bullpen, it makes me feel better about the Sox bullpen.

SouthSoxFan
Maybe Anderson can build on that HR

chisoxmike
06-11-2006, 10:27 PM
God, the Indians had to have been ****ting in their pants in that 9th inning.

RedHeadPaleHoser
4 of 6...not too shabby.

Go get Texas and fix the standings in the AL Central.

Crede_Fan
Nice night for BA. Also nice try at a comeback from the reserves. Let's go get Texas tomorrow!

DickAllen72
If you gotta lose, that's the way to do it, I guess! :smile:

If only.....

santo=dorf
Bull****. If you outhit the other team and they commit three errors they should win. No moral victories when you are the defending champ. They failed to take out division rival when they were down. No brownie points. This team is past that point.
:?:
We won the series, and (hopefully) Brian has shown signs of figuring it out.

MrRoboto83
06-11-2006, 10:28 PM
4 of 6...not too shabby.

Go get Texas and fix the standings in the AL Central.

5-4 home stand, not bad, not great.

IlliniSox4Life
Wow, that would have been a killer comeback. At least our bullpen isn't Clevelands.

eurotrash35

jeez, tough crowd. just be happy they showed signs of life when the pitching staff took a day off.

CubsfansareDRUNK
06-11-2006, 10:29 PM
This is one of the few losses this year that I can actually take.

Crede_Fan

:rolleyes:
Homefish, is that you?

Bet you think 162 - 0 is possible.

gbergman
Thome just missed a homer that would of made it 10-8 and made ozuna the winning run. Oh well good ending non the less.

Viva Medias B's
06-11-2006, 10:30 PM
Nice comeback, even though we fell a little short. We'll have momentum going into Arlington. I am very pleased we took two of three from Detroit and Cleveland. On to Texas and Cincinnati!

The Dude
06-11-2006, 10:31 PM
That has got to be one of the best 9th inning rally's I can remember seeing in a while! I can't believe after the way the game went that we'd be in that situation. I just can't give these guys enough props. Hopefully they can carry this into the road trip as well as give BA some more confidence to stay with the team.

Now if we can only get some BP help......?????

thomas35forever
06-11-2006, 10:31 PM
What a win this would've been. It could've been the greatest night in the history of Comiskey Park II.

DickAllen72
06-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Again, even when they were way behind tonight I felt pretty good about the game. Why? Probably because Hawk wasn't announcing and I wasn't listening to Farmer either.

Another national broadcast tomorrow, right? I like this.

The Dude
blah blah blah.....i think you forgot to login as Homefish this time

:darkcloud:

EDIT: Nice Credefan! Great minds think alike:tongue:

paciorek1983
Hey they tried to comeback and they fell a little short. When the bottom of the ninth started, I actually said to myself "c'mon Sox you guys can get 8".

I really enjoyed that bottom of the ninth. I'm not going to be upset with this loss. Losing is part of baseball. Did eveyone see Ozzie laughing in the dugout and when they showed Wedge, it looked like he needed some Pepto? I'm not worried about this team.

Huisj
This is one of the few losses this year that I can actually take.

Sort of maybe, except then I still remember back to when Garcia was pitching and how lousy he looked again. He's looks completely blah on the mound lately. Looping breaking balls that are in the dirt or hang outside, straight fastballs that people sit on.

I'm starting to be somewhat impressed by Montero. Tracy seems to have good stuff, but his release point problems from tonight scared me a lot.

Westbrook's sinker was real nasty through the middle portion of the game. Can he please teach that to Garland?

Deuce
06-11-2006, 10:33 PM
All I care about is winning series. You win the series, you did your job. It is not possible (I know it is technically possible, but it is definately not probable) to win every game, but you have to always play to win. Even though the Sox were down big, they continued to play to win. That is the true sign of a champion.

By the way, a big thumbs up to Brian Anderson! :thumbsup: Keep it up!

Deuce

chisoxmike
06-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Again, even when they were way behind tonight I felt pretty good about the game. Why? Probably because Hawk wasn't announcing and I wasn't listening to Farmer either.

:hawk
"Dont be a hinebird."

cbotnyse
06-11-2006, 10:34 PM
good homestand taking the last 2 series.....I got home tonight to see the ninth inning, turned the TV on to see Anderson's at bat......looks like I saw the best part of the game.....fell just a bit short.....I bet the Cleveland boards have some serious dark clouds about their bullpen.

ilsox7
06-11-2006, 10:34 PM
What a win this would've been. It could've been the greatest night in the history of Comiskey Park II.
Hardly. Several games last October will not be beat. Ever.

paciorek1983
06-11-2006, 10:35 PM

Sometimes stats like that don't matter. It's not how many, it's when. The Sox do take advantage of these things when they happen, just not tonight. That's baseball.

sox_fan_forever
06-11-2006, 10:35 PM
I am feeling pretty good about the Sox now. I am pleased with the series wins over Detroit and Cleveland. Hopefully they can continue to win each series. I was watching one of the Sox DVDs the other day and there was a quote from AJ saying that in 2005 the team always took it one game at a time--the first goal was to win the first game of a series and then after that to win the second game and take the series. I feel like they've gotten away from the idea at points this season, but maybe they are starting to get back into it.

santo=dorf
06-11-2006, 10:37 PM
I have to think every home 2005 postgame season, especially game 2 of the World Series, is at least 10 times better than Verntura's Grand Slam or the the 1993 Clincher.

DickAllen72
06-11-2006, 10:37 PM
"Dont be a hinebird."

Sorry, Hawk, but I like it when the announcers actually announce the game.

The Dude
06-11-2006, 10:38 PM
"Dont be a hinebird."

Hey hawk, could you remind me....what is a hinebird again???:redneck

stl_sox_fan
06-11-2006, 10:38 PM
I miss the days when a 6 run 9th would actually win a game. I blame inflation and reaganomics!

Big props for them putting up a fight. If only Guillen had pulled Garcia and Tracey sooner........

thomas35forever
06-11-2006, 10:39 PM
We showed during this homestand that we own the two teams we're sandwiched in between. I have a feeling we'll be in first by the end of next week.

SoxandtheCityTee
06-11-2006, 10:40 PM
I bet the Cleveland boards have some serious dark clouds about their bullpen.

Well, they would have a point. There's no way the Jndians can repeat last year's torrid second-half performance with this bullpen. If Byrd was on Wickman in the locker room last night, imagine what would have happened if the Sox had actually pulled this one out.

DickAllen72
06-11-2006, 10:41 PM
We showed during this homestand that we own the two teams we're sandwiched in between. I have a feeling we'll be in first by the end of next week.

I had that feeling last week. Oh well, better late than never! :gulp:

Jjav829
06-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I miss the days when a 6 run 9th would actually win a game. I blame inflation and reaganomics!

Big props for them putting up a fight. If only Guillen had pulled Garcia and Tracey sooner........

Yeah, if only Ozzie had pulled Garcia and Tracey sooner and gone to those great arms we have in our bullpen like.....uhhhh.....****.....uhhhh...Jenks! Yeah, that's it! Ozzie should have gone to Jenks for the last 5 innings!

chisoxmike
06-11-2006, 10:48 PM
I have a feeling we'll be in first by the end of next week.

HA! I like your enthusiasm. But we have 4 against Texas and 3 against the Reds. Tigers get 4 against Tampa Bay and 3 against the Cubs.

A. Cavatica
06-11-2006, 10:50 PM
Ozzie's slow hook has been a good thing for the rest of the rotation, so I can't be too critical, but it looked to me like Garcia didn't have anything tonight: not velocity, not location, not movement.

This is about the third time this season when Freddy just didn't show up, and I hope Ozzie learns to recognize it and pull him earlier. I still felt we had a great chance to win if he'd pulled Garcia at 5-2.

The comeback was great, and if Anderson can just have a couple more multiple-hit games in Texas, this game could end up as the turning point.

whitesoxfan
06-11-2006, 10:52 PM
Good homestand in the sense that we took 2 of 3 from our biggest division foes. Great effort tonight for not giving up. That is one thing that you have to appreciate about this team no matter what.

I hate playing at Texas though. We have always been a bad west coast road team and I think we only beat Texas once last year, when BMac had that great performance. Let's turn around our west-coast problems and take another series starting tomorrow.

DickAllen72
06-11-2006, 10:52 PM
HA! I like your enthusiasm. But we have 4 against Texas and 3 against the Reds. Tigers get 4 against Tampa Bay and 3 against the Cubs.

The Tigers will probably sweep the Cubs and might split with the DRays. We'll have to go on a seven game win streak to take first. What are the odds of that? 50/50. :gulp:

GoSox2K3
06-11-2006, 10:54 PM
That has got to be one of the best 9th inning rally's I can remember seeing in a while! I can't believe after the way the game went that we'd be in that situation. I just can't give these guys enough props. Hopefully they can carry this into the road trip as well as give BA some more confidence to stay with the team.

Now if we can only get some BP help......?????

How can you hang this on the bullpen when Freddy gave up 8 earned runs tonight and only lasted 5 2/3 inning? This backs up what Ozzie recently said about what the bullpen needs - and that's better and deeper-into-the-game performances by our starters.

Hate to lose, but you gotta love how the Sox battled back. In the last 2 series, they're really reminding me of the '05 team. If they can keep that going, they're going to be in the post season.

Probably the best thing about this game was Brian Anderson having a big night offensively. This may be the shot in the arm this kid needs. Getting him on track would be HUGE for the Sox!!!

Jjav829
06-11-2006, 10:54 PM
Is it safe to say that Anderson has kept his job? :tongue:

Yeah, if you think one game means everything. And by that reasoning, Konerko lost his job to Gload tonight and Crede lost his job to Ozuna. :tongue:

digdagdug23
06-11-2006, 10:57 PM
Yeah, if you think one game means everything. And by that reasoning, Konerko lost his job to Gload tonight and Crede lost his job to Ozuna. :tongue:

JJav, come, come now, your cynicism cuts like a knife! Seriously, at least he hit, and contributed. This might be a good thing for him, at least get him to see the ball a bit differently anyhow. Heck anything to get this kid making contact is a good thing............in the darkest hours, he made me cheer. I was happy for him.

See, this is where we need TL...........:tongue:

(Jjav is still my fav for another day, though lol)

06-11-2006, 10:58 PM
Good Job BA....way not to give up Sox....2 out of 3 is damn good...now that being said

Freddy looked awful, again....

Thome, although coming damn close, has not been coming thru in big situations lately

Crede should have rested another night

Hafner should be intentionally walked all at bats! Well not really, but damn this guy...

Tough week coming up guys, lets get em

chisoxmike
06-11-2006, 10:59 PM
Good Job BA....way not to give up Sox....25 out of 3 is damn good...now that being said

Thome, although coming damn close, has not been coming thru in big situations lately

Hafner should be intentionally walked all at bats! Well not really, but damn this guy...

whitesoxfan
06-11-2006, 11:00 PM
Good Job BA....way not to give up Sox....25 out of 3 is damn good...now that being said

25 out of 3? I wish...

Cue the dark cloud pics. How anyone can complain about Thome is beyond me.

ilsox7
06-11-2006, 11:02 PM
25 out of 3? I wish...

Especially in a game where he had an RBI single and missed a HR by a foot.

fuzzy_patters
06-11-2006, 11:03 PM
Over the years, I have seen the Sox race out to an early lead, stop scoring, and coast to a narrow win on many occasions. Those games are usually followed by a poor performance in the following game. There seems to be a carry over effect when a team stops concentrating on scoring runs for a few innings.

I have a feeling that we will be seeing the opposite effect in Texas. The Sox may have lost the game, but they are coming into Texas on a high note having torn the cover off the ball at the end of their last game. Here's to scoring a dozen runs in game one against the Rangers.:gulp:

As for Brian Anderson, it will be interesting to see if he can build on this. Ozzie should get him in the lineup tomorrow while his confidence is up. He made better passes at the ball as the night went on, and you could see him regaining confidence. Righties are hitting .282 against Koronka so Anderson should have a good chance at getting some hits against him.

GoSox2K3
06-11-2006, 11:04 PM

I think Sox fans were getting used to him hitting HRs at a 70-for-the-season rate. The great thing about this team is that we don't have to rely on Big Jim to always come through - because he can't always do it.

Sox-o-matic
06-11-2006, 11:05 PM

When your starting pitcher walks people after getting ahead and looks afraid to pitch, then gives up big home runs so that you have to bring in your tired bullpen, you deserve to lose.

For the Sox to come back the way they did has to build some confidence. To get the tying run to the plate after removing Dye, Konerko, and Crede certainly has to say something about the Sox bench.

Blueprint1
06-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Well, the good news is the Tigers are playing the cubs when they are hot. I really don't think the Rays are the Royals. The cubs have beat the Reds and the Cardinals back to back.

Jjav829
06-11-2006, 11:12 PM
Just wondering, but did anyone actually really think we would win in that 9th inning? And at what point did you think so? I'm not talking about some lame "I always think we're going to win, blah, blah, blah" type feeling. I mean really think we were going to pull it out? The reason I ask is because as I started watching the 9th unfold, and we started getting closer to having a real chance to win, I said that if Pablo Ozuna batted a 2nd time in the inning, we would win. Why, I don't know. I guess it's because Ozuna has a knack for being involved in thrilling games. So when he came up, I actually felt like we would complete the comeback. I'm wondering if anyone else felt something similar.

Sox-o-matic
06-11-2006, 11:15 PM
Just wondering, but did anyone actually really think we would win in that 9th inning? And at what point did you think so? I'm not talking about some lame "I always think we're going to win, blah, blah, blah" type feeling. I mean really think we were going to pull it out? The reason I ask is because as I started watching the 9th unfold, and we started getting closer to having a real chance to win, I said that if Pablo Ozuna batted a 2nd time in the inning, we would win. Why, I don't know. I guess it's because Ozuna has a knack for being involved in thrilling games. So when he came up, I actually felt like we would complete the comeback. I'm wondering if anyone else felt something similar.

I didn't think we'd win, but I wouldn't have been surprised.

When Thome went out to deep center that killed it for me, but it was still fun to see them come close. At least you know that they thought they could win, and thats really all that's important.

kittle42
06-11-2006, 11:16 PM
I'm wondering how many stupid people will root for the Tigers over the Cubs next weekend.

Mercy!
06-11-2006, 11:18 PM
Okay. I have officially become a member of the I Can't Stand Victor Martinez Club. Did everybody see the crowning glory of his lame home run act? No, not the slow trot around the bases; not the slowing it down to a walk 4 strides before home plate; not the kiss-kiss to the clasped hands and the hallelujah point to the sky; not the finger shimmy to the camera in the dugout. When Martinez reached the top step of the dugout, he bowed his head and SOMEONE ELSE removed his helmet from his head! ***? (As god is my witness, that is the first time in my life I have typed "***.")

Jjav829
06-11-2006, 11:18 PM
I'm wondering how many stupid people will root for the Tigers over the Cubs next weekend.

Ha, I have no idea what that has to do with my post, but I'm sure there will be some. :smile:

Just wait until Hangar returns...:tongue:

itsnotrequired
06-11-2006, 11:21 PM
Whirrr...

Sig update time.

Beautox
06-11-2006, 11:24 PM
This is the first loss this season i don't truly mind. Does Brian only show up when hes on ESPN? i hope not, and i hope he gets it going so we can concentrate on some bullpen help. and Cintron is making it hard for Ozzie to take him out of the line up.

Sox-o-matic
06-11-2006, 11:24 PM
Okay. I have officially become a member of the I Can't Stand Victor Martinez Club. Did everybody see the crowning glory of his lame home run act? No, not the slow trot around the bases; not the slowing it down to a walk 4 strides before home plate; not the kiss-kiss to the clasped hands and the hallelujah point to the sky; not the finger shimmy to the camera in the dugout. When Martinez reached the top step of the dugout, he bowed his head and SOMEONE ELSE removed his helmet from his head! ***? (As god is my witness, that is the first time in my life I have typed "***.")

I was hoping Tracey would hit him with the next pitch.

I hope Martinez is drilled in the back the next time we face Cleveland.

Sox-o-matic
06-11-2006, 11:27 PM

Hopefully Barrett and Martinez get into a fist fight and girly slap the crap out of each other. Then Zambrano can point to the upper deck where bricks are falling.

Mercy!
06-11-2006, 11:28 PM
Just wondering, but did anyone actually really think we would win in that 9th inning?.... As close as I came was saying that if they pulled this one out it would be bigger than A.J.'s walk-off grand slam against the Dodgers last year. (Ha! It was almost exactly a year ago, I just noticed. That was a great come from behind victory!)

DSpivack
06-11-2006, 11:29 PM
What a fun game to be at for a loss (and my first time in club seats).

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2006, 11:33 PM
Ha, I have no idea what that has to do with my post, but I'm sure there will be some. :smile:

Just wait until Hangar returns...:tongue:

Hangar won't be returning anytime soon. When he called me just to bitch about being banned and "Who will do the Media Watch???", he told me he'd personally ban himself twice as long as WSI does. :tongue:

Anyways, that was a stellar attempt at a comeback, showing the type of team we have here. We are in EVERY game. Let's screw up the Rangers!

slobes
06-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Weird how our two clutchest (if that's a word) both seemed to get out in that last inning (Mack and Ozuna). Oh well, glad to see that we didn't roll over and die. Go get em in Texas.

mrs. hendu
06-11-2006, 11:47 PM
I just got back from the game.
Well, 9th inning was fun, but came too late. Nice night for BA and Cintron, but pitching killed us. At least we won the series.

Brian26
06-11-2006, 11:48 PM

Nice comeback, but it wouldn't have been greater than the two home World Series wins.

TornLabrum
06-11-2006, 11:49 PM
Hangar won't be returning anytime soon. When he called me just to bitch about being banned and "Who will do the Media Watch???", he told me he'd personally ban himself twice as long as WSI does. :tongue:
So that means we can expect another Flubsession free four weeks? Yippee!!!!

Brian26
06-11-2006, 11:52 PM

I felt like a homerun by Thome was going to kill the rally. I was actually more disappointed that he flew out than just getting a single or drawing a walk to keep the line moving.

FielderJones
06-11-2006, 11:54 PM
So that means we can expect another Flubsession free four weeks? Yippee!!!!

Flubsession-free should be hyphenated [/kittle42] :tongue:

edit: (woohoo, WSI Personality status)

Brian26
06-11-2006, 11:55 PM
Okay. I have officially become a member of the I Can't Stand Victor Martinez Club.

I didn't appreciate it when he wanted to charge the mound after Tracey almost hit him. Tracey was obviously having all kinds of problems with his control, and that was so obviously unintentional, yet goofball VMartinez wanted to act like a badass.

oeo
06-11-2006, 11:59 PM
I didn't read the whole thread, so my apologies if this was already mentioned:

AJ trying to steal firstbase again on a "HBP" was awesome. I was honestly laughing out loud when I saw the replay, I love the guy.

RadioheadRocks
Ozzie's slow hook has been a good thing for the rest of the rotation, so I can't be too critical, but it looked to me like Garcia didn't have anything tonight: not velocity, not location, not movement.

This is about the third time this season when Freddy just didn't show up, and I hope Ozzie learns to recognize it and pull him earlier. I still felt we had a great chance to win if he'd pulled Garcia at 5-2.

From what I remember, Ozzie had a slow hook with Freddy a lot last year too (including TWO home games I attended last year).

itsnotrequired
I didn't appreciate it when he wanted to charge the mound after Tracey almost hit him. Tracey was obviously having all kinds of problems with his control, and that was so obviously unintentional, yet goofball VMartinez wanted to act like a badass.

I didn't mind the goofy antics after yesterday's homer or after today's homer. Even the desire to charge the mound didn't bug me. What really got me was the "point to the sky" move after the final out. ***? You think the Big Man decided to allow 6 Sox runs in the 9th only to eventually let the Indians win the game?

oeo
06-12-2006, 12:01 AM
I didn't mind the goofy antics after yesterday's homer or after today's homer. Even the desire to charge the mound didn't bug me. What really got me was the "point to the sky" move after the final out. ***? You think the Big Man decided to allow 6 Sox runs in the 9th only to eventually let the Indians win the game?

The Indians are going to implode, one of these games. If the Sox could have pulled this one out, just imagine what would happen to that clubhouse atmosphere. And I cannot wait for that day; the more the Tribe struggles, the happier I am.

I love the heart these guys are playing with now. What a change from a couple weeks ago.

ChetChat
06-12-2006, 12:03 AM
Glad I stayed for the 9th, fun loss. I think Freddy was hung over from his big 3-0 birthday yesterday.

DSpivack
06-12-2006, 12:06 AM
The Indians are going to implode, one of these games. If the Sox could have pulled this one out, just imagine what would happen to that clubhouse atmosphere. And I cannot wait for that day; the more the Tribe struggles, the happier I am.

I love the heart these guys are playing with now. What a change from a couple weeks ago.
I think the Indians have already begun to implode, what with players trading barbs, and I think this game will have a Paniagua-type affect, albeit in June than in September. That said, it is a long season, and I think they have enough talent just to stick around for awhile. Not get close or make a run, but just enough to stick around and be annoying.

PAPChiSox729
06-12-2006, 12:07 AM
I just got back from the game and I must say that it was one of the most entertaining games I've been to. Sure they lost, but that feeling I had throughout the ninth inning was great. I never was completely sold that they would actually pull it out (although I had a strong feeling Pablo was going to blow one out if he got the chance) but the excitement in the crowd was incredible. It was quite the feeling. Just a few notes:

1) Freddy was absolutely horrible. I'm sure you all saw it, too. He just never seemed to find any sort of rhythm and was always working behind in the count. It was a truly pathetic rally.

2) Anderson had a great game. There was a standing ovation after he got his first hit of the game, so everyone was going crazy when he hit that HR in the 9th.

So bring on them Rangers already. If the pitching can hold down the Rangers just a little bit, a series win is very much in reach.

Chips
06-12-2006, 12:18 AM
Fun loss? It was a ****ty ****ing loss. Six runs in the 9th and you still lose. What the ****?

Freddy pitched like ****; we couldn't hit the ****ing ball for 5 innings.

I hope they carry some momentum from today into tomorrow.

voodoochile
06-12-2006, 12:20 AM
Missed it by that much...

How different would this thread be if Thome had managed to pull his pitch 10 feet either direction or if Pablo had managed to keep that line shot fair before hitting the can of corn?

Heck of a ninth inning.

Can't win them all...

StillMissOzzie
06-12-2006, 12:41 AM
I just got home about a half hour ago too. A recap of the Garcia performance:
Walk. Home run :angry:
Repeat
Walk. Home run :angry: :angry:

I didn't mean repeat what you just did, Freddy!! As one guy behind me said, Garcia pitched like he was still hung over from his birthday party. (The party he stood me up at the card show to go to)
I think he walked 4 altogether and they all scored. Tracey's inning didn't help either. Would have been nice if Thome had justified that shift by pulling that long out in the 9th just a bit more toward RF.

And at the risk of preaching to the choir, tonight's 9th inning should teach everyone that IT AIN'T OVER 'TIL IT'S OVER. DON'T LEAVE EARLY!!

SMO
:gulp:

GOGOGOPODS
06-12-2006, 12:45 AM
Freddy partied to much on his birthday.... but great effort, this team never gives up and plays till the last out.
BA had some good at bats today, it'd be huge for him to start hitting for us!
We took both series from our central rivals so I say it was a pretty good homestand besides the Texas series.

oeo
06-12-2006, 12:48 AM
I just got home about a half hour ago too. A recap of the Garcia performance:
Walk. Home run :angry:
Repeat
Walk. Home run :angry: :angry:

I didn't mean repeat what you just did, Freddy!! As one guy behind me said, Garcia pitched like he was still hung over from his birthday party. (The party he stood me up at the card show to go to)
I think he walked 4 altogether and they all scored. Tracey's inning didn't help either. Would have been nice if Thome had justified that shift by pulling that long out in the 9th just a bit more toward RF.

And at the risk of preaching to the choir, tonight's 9th inning should teach everyone that IT AIN'T OVER 'TIL IT'S OVER. DON'T LEAVE EARLY!!

SMO
:gulp:
Why do people pay for a ticket and not stay for the whole show? Some people must be made of money...

The ticket is for a whole game, get your money's worth, even if they are getting slaughtered.

The best is when people leave early when they're WINNING, to "beat the traffic". Maybe it's just because I don't get to go to many games in a season, but I like to take in the whole thing, why waste it?

RadioheadRocks
06-12-2006, 01:28 AM
Why do people pay for a ticket and not stay for the whole show? Some people must be made of money...

The ticket is for a whole game, get your money's worth, even if they are getting slaughtered.

The best is when people leave early when they're WINNING, to "beat the traffic". Maybe it's just because I don't get to go to many games in a season, but I like to take in the whole thing, why waste it?

Hear, hear!!! I've never left a game early on my own accord, no matter what the score was or what the weather was (I waited out the entire three hour rain delay on Opening Night... no way in hell I was going to leave early after paying $175 for that ticket!!!). I know as a kid I would leave early only because that's when our family left and I had to go with them. :D:

JB98
06-12-2006, 01:51 AM
I would like to think Garcia is sick of losing to Cleveland by now. Three of his four losses have come against the Indians. I expected better from him tonight, and I am disappointed by his performance.

Next time we face the Tribe, we better have a different plan against Hafner and Martinez. I think both of them have hit five or six homers each against Sox pitching this year. We need to come inside on them and make them less comfortable in the batters' box. Tracey's inside pitches don't count because he was just plain wild. Martinez embarrassed himself by acting as if he was going to charge the mound. Sean had no idea where the ball was going. If he had aimed at Martinez, he probably would have thrown the ball over the plate.

Westbrook was 0-4 against the Sox last year. This year, he's 3-0. Strange. Three of his six wins this year are against the Sox. The guy had an ERA of 5.03 coming into tonight. His ERA against the Sox is 1.69 in three starts. Does the rest of the league know something our hitters don't? He looks like Cy Young against us.

BarbG
06-12-2006, 02:10 AM
I've only left early one time in my life - the night the Twins clinched in '04 - I didn't have the stomach to watch those morons celebrate on our field.

This was the most fun I've ever had at a loss. If only Freddy wasn't serving up home runs like it was the all-you-can-hit buffet it would've been much better, obviously. His performance tonight was definitely disappointing. But there was a lot to like about this game.

Alex Cintron, what a week he's had. Brian Anderson, FINALLY pulling out of the slump. Ross Gload coming through and actually smiling. That whole never-say-die ninth inning! I never thought we'd pull it off but every run that crossed the plate made it that much more fun to watch those Toons squirm!

Grzegorz
06-12-2006, 04:37 AM

To me this is a discouraging loss. Garcia has to find a way to keep the team in the hunt. The White Sox come back to make the score three to two and then the fifth inning happens.

I understand that from time to time a player just doesn't "have it", but an athlete has to find a way to keep his team within striking distance.

I liked the comeback, especially having BA hit that three run shot, but this game was winnable. Four of six from the Tigers and Indians is nice but it could have been better.

Going to Texas is always an adventure, hopefully Contraras can keep a lid in those Texas bats. Jon Garland has to have a big series as well; he's not matched up with the Rangers in Texas very well over the years.

Dark cloud? no; opportunist? Yes!

Grzegorz
06-12-2006, 04:46 AM
Freddy partied to much on his birthday....

If this is truly the case, if you're not feeling up for the job step aside. Maybe it's just me being a curmudgeon, but save the celebration until after your turn in the rotation.

wassagstdu
06-12-2006, 06:56 AM
To get the tying run to the plate after removing Dye, Konerko, and Crede certainly has to say something about the Sox bench.

... that it has been playing better than the regulars.

jenn2080
06-12-2006, 07:09 AM
That game sucked! For what i watched of it

whitesoxwilkes
06-12-2006, 07:37 AM
We left after Thome whiffed in the 8th. I've left maybe 3 games early in the past 3 or 4 years...and every time the Sox have come back and won. Not the case tonight.

Not sure what was up with Freddy...you could see him telling AJ "I'm fine, I'm fine" on the bigscreen just before first pitch. Probably too much carousing...I know I got plenty loaded on my 30th.

wdelaney72
06-12-2006, 08:32 AM
Regardless of how frustrating it is to see a good starting pitcher like Freddy crap all over himself, I'm taking great pleasure in winning the last 2 series. Also, I hope BA can build off of that 9th inning HR.

SoxFan78
06-12-2006, 09:11 AM

Lets not get ahead of ourselves. I think that any of last years home playoff games leaves this game in the dust, even with a win.

CHEESESOXER
06-12-2006, 09:19 AM

I would mucjh rather have listened to them than the bald idiot going on & on & on about kickball and that shreck crap.
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

06-12-2006, 09:20 AM

I meant 2 out of 3, sorry all

0o0o0
06-12-2006, 09:25 AM
I understand that from time to time a player just doesn't "have it", but an athlete has to find a way to keep his team within striking distance.
Seems like the typical Freddy game is when he doesn't have his stuff, but battles for 6 or 7 innings and keeps the team in the game. Don't get me wrong, his battling is very admirable. At the same time, it seems that he's much more likely to not have his stuff than have it, which doesn't seem right. :?:

batmanZoSo
06-12-2006, 09:32 AM
It's great to see the heart in this team lately, but then again the Indians bullpen is just plain bad. Good showing against the rivals. Can't complain about 4 out of 6.

The team's hitting in late innings has been a great sign lately. They've got that one heartbeat thing going, nobody's trying to be the hero with a 3 run homer. They're all shortening up and going for base hits, showing trust in each other, that the guy behind them will back them up. That's how you make comebacks. With all the talent on this team, if they get the mojo thing working, they could be primed for a major tear. Once this team fires on all cylinders, they won't be very fun to play against.

SBSoxFan
06-12-2006, 10:03 AM
if Thome had managed to pull his pitch 10 feet either direction :?:

Why does he Thome keep teasing us the last 2 games with fly balls to the CF wall?

I was cheering when they brought Wickman in, and I had knew AJ would get on base - cheater's proof :D:. I was hoping it would get to BA and he could win the game!

hawkjt
06-12-2006, 10:38 AM
If the indians bullpen was not so bad the sox would not have won a game this weekend. CC,Lee, and Westbrook shut us down. The sox have had a tough time denting the decent starters in this division like santana,elarton,rogers,cc,westbrook,and lee.

Now on to texas to face koronka,loe,padilla,and reinbecker. We struggled against the last three last week. Need to turn the tables. Mainly it has been pods and tadahito slumping. They might have snapped out of it this weekend.

AS for freddy- he just ebbs and flows, last three starts-bad, prior seven -good.

I still have faith in him as long as his arm is sound. AS for pitching hafner different- I think we did hit him at least once. He hangs over that plate and invites contact. might have to go with the bonds approach with him.

stl_sox_fan
06-12-2006, 10:56 AM
I would mucjh rather have listened to them than the bald idiot going on & on & on about kickball and that shreck crap.

I almost always cringe when the Sox are on ESPN or Fox. You're stuck with Miller and Morgans painful sidebars or worse Buck and McCarver adding no charisma at all to the game.

I was close to booking a flight to Chicago last night if that whole shrek/donkey/pronk soliloquy lasted any longer and introduce them to the people's elbow. They said they were actually droning on about that for the past 2 weeks!!! Evens Gammons looked like they needed to pull an old yeller on the two. It was sucking the life out of an incredible 9th inning!

DachnoPiitu
06-12-2006, 11:40 AM
I was at the game and the same problem arose that had arisen on Thursday. When the starting pitcher began to falter there was NO ONE warming in the bullpen. I was not the only one asking where the relief was. Many fanatics at the game kept looking in the direction of the bullpen with puzzled or frustrated looks on their faces. I don't like how every starting pitcher must go 5 complete innings and throw 100 pitches. Like Garland on Thursday, Garcia was losing it, maybe Garcia never had it. But when the starting pitching starts to suck, Ozzie needs to have someone warming up. I don't care how early it is. Like Thursday, Sunday was a game the Sox should have won. Maybe last year the starting pitching was able to work itself out, this year they have not shown this. Here is another missed sweep due to bad pitching and sub-par managing.

I am not standing on any ledges or watching dark clouds roll in. My problem is I like the W.

Originally Posted by GOGOGOPODS
Freddy partied to much on his birthday....

This wouldn't surprise me at all. When I saw him pitch GAME 2 this year against the Indians he was sooooooo hung over. He sucked real bad... (I was in the left bleachers and watched him warm up.)

JB98
06-12-2006, 12:09 PM
If the indians bullpen was not so bad the sox would not have won a game this weekend. CC,Lee, and Westbrook shut us down. The sox have had a tough time denting the decent starters in this division like santana,elarton,rogers,cc,westbrook,and lee.

Now on to texas to face koronka,loe,padilla,and reinbecker. We struggled against the last three last week. Need to turn the tables. Mainly it has been pods and tadahito slumping. They might have snapped out of it this weekend.

AS for freddy- he just ebbs and flows, last three starts-bad, prior seven -good.

I still have faith in him as long as his arm is sound. AS for pitching hafner different- I think we did hit him at least once. He hangs over that plate and invites contact. might have to go with the bonds approach with him.

I don't think we can afford to use the Bonds approach with Hafner. My neck is still sore from watching Martinez hit the ball out of the park all weekend. Why put somebody on base for Martinez? It isn't a very good idea to give Cleveland free passes. Garcia and Tracey proved that last night. Of a combined six walks, five scored.

Dan H
06-12-2006, 12:33 PM
Great comback but another game where the Sox give up runs in double digits. That is just not good.

bluestar
06-12-2006, 01:28 PM
In the three games in this series, the Sox managed to keep the Cleveland batters from reaching base in only three innings -- once in each of the three games.

I cannot recall ever seeing a team do that to the Sox that consistently. Buerhle blames Questec. (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060611&content_id=1501041&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws)

oeo
06-12-2006, 01:31 PM
It's great to see the heart in this team lately, but then again the Indians bullpen is just plain bad. Good showing against the rivals. Can't complain about 4 out of 6.

The team's hitting in late innings has been a great sign lately. They've got that one heartbeat thing going, nobody's trying to be the hero with a 3 run homer. They're all shortening up and going for base hits, showing trust in each other, that the guy behind them will back them up. That's how you make comebacks. With all the talent on this team, if they get the mojo thing working, they could be primed for a major tear. Once this team fires on all cylinders, they won't be very fun to play against.
Well, they also beat Rodney, who had given up a total of 3 ER the whole season. Before he saw Cintron. :D:

And a guy that had converted every one of his saves this year, and 24 straight, in Wickman. They didn't just get to the bad guys, they got to the good one's as well. Last night was great because they were battling. They weren't just swinging at first pitch because everything was terrible. That at-bat by Gload was great, especially in a situation like that (they're down by 5 with an out in the 9th). He just kept battling until he got the fast ball that he could shoot to the left side. Same thing for AJ, as well. He tried stealing first, but that didn't work; he ended up driving in a run anyway.

I really thought Pablo was going to keep it going. He's the one who started the whole thing, legging out that infield single. You could see him in the dugout after he scored and could tell he wanted to get back out there.

paciorek1983
06-12-2006, 04:24 PM

I actually thougth they could do it. In an earlier post in this thread, I mentioned that before the ninth started I still thought they had a chance. During the inning during the Thome at bat, I thought that if he got a hit, they would win, when he didn't, I got a little skeptical.

It was probably the most enjoyable loss I've ever watched--if that makes sense.:?:

jongarlandlover
06-12-2006, 04:58 PM
well, that was a good attempt at a comeback. after BA's homerun, i was thinking, "well, maybe we can get 5 runs and at least tie it!" too bad it didn't happen, but they sure did try.

oh, and i was soooo super happy for brian last night! i was screaming and jumping up and down. the poor kid needed that home run!

the one thing is that freddy really, really, really, really sucked. he gave up, what, 8 runs? ick.

nsolo
06-12-2006, 06:55 PM

Thank You! Also, the lingerning camera work on Martinez in the dugout was horrible. What did he do, tell the camera man "Hey, I'm going to act like an a** in the dugout, so keep the camera on me"?

:angry::angry: