PDA

View Full Version : Trade JD Fields?

bigredrudy
06-11-2006, 06:35 PM
JD Fields just had another great day -scored 3 runs-stole home and hit another homerun. By the end of the day he most probably will be leading the IL in batting average,on base percentage, and in slugging percentage.He has also stolen 13 bases. His batting average, by the way is 343. If Crede stays, I would put Fields in the outfield.And if Crede goes, then I would put Fields at third. I definitely would not trade him for relief pitching or a centerfielder as so many have been advocating. This guy's numbers say he is special. The last time I saw numbers like this for a Sox player in AAA were those of Magglio Ordonez.

VivaOzzie
06-11-2006, 06:45 PM
I would definitely be disappointed if they traded Fields. With Crede in a contract year, I think you have to keep Fields around. I know Kenny will make the right decision though, either way.

Corlose 15
06-11-2006, 06:48 PM
Fields is definitely tearing things up at AAA and I'd like to see him stay at the organization. He's definitely an insurance policy if Crede's back acts up for some extended period of time. I do however think the Sox need to find some BP help to put this team over the top, so someone like Rogowski, who I hear is also having a good year, would be an ideal trade possibility for me since the Sox have Konerko and Thome at 1B for the next couple of years.

Maybe they could trade Rogowski to LAA for Shields.:redneck I'm not even sure what color that should be in.

batmanZoSo
06-11-2006, 06:53 PM
I really hope we keep Crede, especially since he's really come around with the bat. Whatever Fields might add with offense won't make up for what we'd lose in defense. Fields I'd hope we either find a place for in the outfield, perhaps right field after another year with Jermaine out there...or option two, use him as bait in a major trade with a rebuilding team some time down the road, which he'd be perfect for.

santo=dorf
06-11-2006, 07:04 PM
I would definitely be disappointed if they traded Fields. With Crede in a contract year, I think you have to keep Fields around. I know Kenny will make the right decision though, either way.
Crede isn't in a contract year. :?:

Frater Perdurabo
06-11-2006, 07:12 PM
I agree with Corlose that Fields needs to stay to provide insurance if Crede should miss significant time with back problems. This is a situation that bears watching.

soxtalker
06-11-2006, 07:13 PM
I really hope we keep Crede, especially since he's really come around with the bat. Whatever Fields might add with offense won't make up for what we'd lose in defense. Fields I'd hope we either find a place for in the outfield, perhaps right field after another year with Jermaine out there...or option two, use him as bait in a major trade with a rebuilding team some time down the road, which he'd be perfect for.

How is Fields defense? I thought that he'd improved a lot last year. Not expecting what we've got now in Crede, of course, but I'd like to know that he's got the potential. Keeping or trading Crede is looking more and more like a wager on his back staying healthy. That's a shame. The team (and he) waited a long time for his bat and defense to get to this high level.

VivaOzzie
06-11-2006, 07:19 PM
Crede isn't in a contract year. :?:

Espn.com says that he signed a one-year deal on January 18. Doesn't that make this a contract year? :?:

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6411

ilsox7
06-11-2006, 07:20 PM
Espn.com says that he signed a one-year deal on January 18. Doesn't that make this a contract year? :?:

No. He is arbitration eligible.

santo=dorf

Nope.

Crede is going through his arbitration years.

TaylorStSox

No.

VivaOzzie
06-11-2006, 08:00 PM
Nope.

Crede is going through his arbitration years.

For how many years is a player arbitration eligible? I've never really understood how the whole arbitration thing worked.

sox1970
06-11-2006, 09:26 PM
For how many years is a player arbitration eligible? I've never really understood how the whole arbitration thing worked.

After a player hits three years of service time, they are arbitration eligible for three years. Players are free agent eligible after six years of service. However, a player could be non-tendered, meaning the team would rather let the player go than to go to arbitration, and the player becomes a free agent. That happened to AJ Pierzynski with the Giants. Thank you, Giants.

StatHead21
06-11-2006, 10:44 PM
Josh Fields makes Aramis Ramirez look like Brooks Robinson on defense, and the Sox won't need a DH/1B for a few years(knock on wood). I say trade him and if Crede happens to leave they'll have to replace him via Free Agency or Trade.

munchman33
06-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Josh Fields makes Aramis Ramirez look like Brooks Robinson on defense, and the Sox won't need a DH/1B for a few years(knock on wood). I say trade him and if Crede happens to leave they'll have to replace him via Free Agency or Trade.

Josh used to be bad, but he's improved a ton defensively.

And he was never as bad as Ramirez defensively.

jabrch
06-11-2006, 11:39 PM
The only way you trade Fields is if you can get a team to give you a package of STUDS.

If, for instance, Baltimore wanted to punt, and would trade Tejada and Patterson, we could talk.

California Sox
06-11-2006, 11:46 PM
Here's the deal with Fields' defense: He's a good athlete and a hard worker. Put those two together and I bet he becomes not just average but above average. Remember, neither Ventura or Crede were great when they first came up, but they were willing to do the work. If Crede leaves, Fields will do the work required.

I never want the Sox to trade their best prospect. (see Young, Chris) But it depends on what you get for him. If you get some middle reliever,then no. If you get Carl Crawford, that might be a different matter.

DumpJerry
06-12-2006, 01:38 AM
A couple of weeks ago, it was reported in the Cubune that the team is trying to convert Fields into an outfielder so his bat can come up here this year.

oeo
06-12-2006, 01:41 AM
A couple of weeks ago, it was reported in the Cubune that the team is trying to convert Fields into an outfielder so his bat can come up here this year.
Well, I heard about him be converted to an outfielder, but this year?

:hawk:
Where's he going to play?

I seriously doubt he'd be a good centerfielder. We don't need 2 Mackowiaks. Maybe in a backup role at the end of the season?

GOGOGOPODS
06-12-2006, 01:49 AM
I say Fields is untouchable right now..... unless Kenny can use him in a deal that can improve our ballclub then I would have nothing againest that. In Kenny I trust.

DumpJerry
06-12-2006, 01:50 AM
I say Fields is untouchable right now..... unless Kenny can use him in a deal that can improve our ballclub then I would have nothing againest that. In Kenny I trust.
Only Jim Hendry makes deals that do not have this as the goal.

Grzegorz
06-12-2006, 05:54 AM
Do not thin the minors without making the other side bleed. Any deal including Fields has to be one-sided in our favor.

thepaulbowski
06-12-2006, 09:31 AM

How many balls have gone off Fields' head?

kwolf68
06-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Fields is going nowhere. You don't trade a guy like this for a middle relief pitcher or a stop-gap Centerfielder.

It looks like Anderson may be slowly coming out of things if last night is any indication and they aren't trading for a young CF. I'd never trade Fields for a guy like Steve Finley.

I'd trade Fields in a deal that involved a Carl Crawford yes...but that isn't happening.

Deuce
06-12-2006, 10:43 AM
http://paquiderme.blogger.com.br/mackey.jpg

"Trading Josh Fields is bad, mmm-kay."

Remember, Joe Crede's soul belongs to:

:borass:

Hitmen77
06-12-2006, 11:24 AM
Given Joe Crede's back problems, I would guess that Josh Fields is pretty much untouchable right now.

GOGOGOPODS
06-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Only Jim Hendry makes deals that do not have this as the goal.

Haha... so true, so true

White Sox Randy
06-12-2006, 12:40 PM
1.If the Sox have decided to convert him to the outfield,why is he playing 3B?

2. I would keep him at Charlotte for the year and consider trading Paulie for lots of pitching and putting Fields at 1B. That way, we still have insurance in case Crede's back goes out or Borass is unreasonable.

3. We save a lot of money, get younger and faster. And, we will always need that pitching. We can then afford to trade Garland and put McCarthy in the rotation.

MRM
06-12-2006, 04:21 PM
Ozzie shot that rumor out of the window. Basically he said Fields has not been playing the game long enough to change positions and move up to the majors in a new position. Besides, where would you play him in the OF? Pods and Dye aren't moving and no way you could just throw the kid into center. The Trib theory, IIRC, was to move Pods to center and put Fields in left. Ozzie laughed at that saying "Pods was good enough to play center on a last place team, he's not good enough to play center for a world championship team".

Trade Fields for Griffey and make your World Series reservations now!:D:

MRM
06-12-2006, 04:28 PM

2. I would keep him at Charlotte for the year and consider trading Paulie for lots of pitching and putting Fields at 1B. That way, we still have insurance in case Crede's back goes out or Borass is unreasonable.

3. We save a lot of money, get younger and faster. And, we will always need that pitching. We can then afford to trade Garland and put McCarthy in the rotation.

1. They aren't converting him. Ozzie said as much

2. No way Paulie is going anywhere any-time soon.

3. Can't trade Garland, he has a no-trade clause that lasts thru this season. Who would give up anything of value for him right now anyhow? Guys making 10mil/yr with ERAs north of 6.00 don't attract much attention...

FedEx227
06-12-2006, 04:35 PM
3. Can't trade Garland, he has a no-trade clause that lasts thru this season. Who would give up anything of value for him right now anyhow? Guys making 10mil/yr with ERAs north of 6.00 don't attract much attention...

What do you mean he's got a no-trade clause?! :D:

I like the idea of converting Fields to an outfielder for the time-being. But with Crede's back I understand the decision of holding him at 3rd. But no trade, please, he looks like a pure athlete and hes actually putting up numbers. Just hope he turns out better then the last Sox QB that tore of the minors.

Soxfest
06-12-2006, 05:27 PM
Crede can go with Borass as agent keep Fields.

caulfield12
06-12-2006, 05:37 PM
Fields at 1B makes some sense, as the only other position he could play would be LF, and that would cause you to move Pods to CF, which Ozzie and KW absolutely do not want to do.

Keeping him in the organization seems the most likely situation, as he´s not going to be traded for a set-up man (and we need him as Crede insurance). The only kind of trade would be for a legit starting CFer in his contract year, and that, alone, shouldn´t be enough to force the trading of your best prospect....unless KW gets really desperate, and I think he knows that selling everything out to win this year doesn´t make sense when we also should have the ability to compete in 2007 as well.
After 2007, all bets are off if Buehrle is gone...

Trading Konerko would be about the only way to free up the salary, or Garland-Garcia. Right now, Garland´s value, even as a young pitcher, is pretty much at an all-time low, so we have to let him work through this. If Don Cooper says to let him go...we might just do that to free up salary and the spot for B. McCarthy. Garcia is definitely not looking like he will be around either after 2007...

Which leaves Thornton OR Cotts, Haeger, Broadway, Lumsden, Tracey, Liotta and a couple of others in the race for the 5th starter in 2008.

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2006, 06:03 PM

The problem is that very soon Paulie will have the right to veto any trade as a 5-10 player (five consecutive years with one team, 10 years total service time). The Sox and Konerko are joined at the hip through 2010. However, I could see a scenario where the Sox move Fields to first and Paulie to DH (or have the two of them rotate) when Thome retires in a few years.

Tragg
06-12-2006, 09:54 PM
JD Fields just had another great day -scored 3 runs-stole home and hit another homerun. By the end of the day he most probably will be leading the IL in batting average,on base percentage, and in slugging percentage.He has also stolen 13 bases. His batting average, by the way is 343. If Crede stays, I would put Fields in the outfield.And if Crede goes, then I would put Fields at third. I definitely would not trade him for relief pitching or a centerfielder as so many have been advocating. This guy's numbers say he is special. The last time I saw numbers like this for a Sox player in AAA were those of Magglio Ordonez.
So, if Fields is having a great year, why would we want to trade him?

For what we need - middle reliever I guess - trade non-descript AA prospect.

White Sox Randy
06-13-2006, 10:18 AM
1. They aren't converting him. Ozzie said as much

2. No way Paulie is going anywhere any-time soon.

If you go back and re-read carefully, you will see that I said after this season, I would make these moves.

Iguana775
06-13-2006, 10:58 AM
No.

LOL. Your sig got me thinking....I wonder if any of Crede's home runs didnt count this year....:cool:

VASoxfan1
06-13-2006, 11:36 AM
garland's no trade is through this season....watch him get bronson arroyed, aka moved to an NL team in the offseason or spring training where he could become a star (or better than he is here....) and have McCarthy grab his spot.

As for the Fields/Crede situation. With a hot hitting third base prospect I would say use him as leverage in negotiating a reasonable long term deal for crede who with gold glove calibur D and solid hitting makes him ideal for that 5-7 spot depending. However, his agent is the devil himself and reaonable isn't in his language therefore what will happen is he'll ride out his arbitration years then sign a bloated contract with the DRays because its the best offer.