PDA

View Full Version : Detroit leading Toronto 8-2

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Well, from all appearances, we will be coming into tonight's ESPN game down by a full game.

I guess the only good side of this is a hot and extremely dangerous Toronto team has been cooled off and they could be as much as 5 GB in the WC hunt...without their two best pitchers in Chacin and Burnett (well, in theory, if he was EVER healthy).

All five Tigers runs scored this inning after the first two outs of the inning were recorded...

oeo
06-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Oh well. If we win tonight, we're down by a half game because they've played one more than us.

ChiSoxIn06
06-11-2006, 03:22 PM
8-4 now...maybe toronto can rally back like they did friday.

Chips
06-11-2006, 03:25 PM
8-4 now...maybe toronto can rally back like they did friday.

That would be nice.

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 03:26 PM
Yeah, 8 runs in one inning, not bad.

The Tigers' announcers were a little apprehensive yesterday when Jones put two more runners on in the 9th but A. Rios grounded out to SS with two outs.

Well, there's hope...the inimitable Jason Grilli is in the game. How can a team utilizing two former Sox connections (B. Seay is the other) be doing so well, lol?

Matt Guerrier ALMOST looks good right now. Gary Majewski certainly does. Or a healthy Frank Francisco...but we had Carl Everett (2X) at least and a championship!

DumpJerry
06-11-2006, 03:27 PM
That would be nice.
I'll see what can be done.

itsnotrequired
06-11-2006, 03:35 PM
8-4, Toronto coming up to bat in the 7th.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2006, 03:40 PM
Well, from all appearances, we will be coming into tonight's ESPN game down by a full game.

I guess the only good side of this is a hot and extremely dangerous Toronto team has been cooled off and they could be as much as 5 GB in the WC hunt...without their two best pitchers in Chacin and Burnett (well, in theory, if he was EVER healthy).

All five Tigers runs scored this inning after the first two outs of the inning were recorded...

Roy Halliday is Toronto's best pitcher.

itsnotrequired
06-11-2006, 03:41 PM
Rios homers, 8-5 now.

No outs in the bottom of the 7th.

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 03:43 PM
I meant to say without two of their best pitchers healthy....

8-5 now...Wells on 2nd with no outs in bottom of the 7th, I smell another comeback

1st and 2nd, no outs, bottom of the 7th (the dangerous Glaus walked, maybe a good move to pitch around him as hot as he has been recently)

SBSoxFan
06-11-2006, 03:44 PM
I smell another comeback
I hope so, but solo HRs aren't gonna get it done!

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 03:47 PM
David Ortiz hit a 3 run bomb with two outs in the bottom of the 9th to win it for the Red Sox...that guy is good...wonder why he underachieved so much in Minnesota, that's a hitter-friendly park? I guess it's a little of the Luis Gonzalez theory...getting better in your late 20's or early 30's instead of peaking from 25-27 years old.

Enter Joel Zumaya...adios to Mr. Grilli Cheese Sandwich

samram
06-11-2006, 03:49 PM
David Ortiz hit a 3 run bomb with two outs in the bottom of the 9th to win it for the Red Sox...that guy is good...wonder why he underachieved so much in Minnesota, that's a hitter-friendly park? I guess it's a little of the Luis Gonzalez theory...getting better in your late 20's or early 30's instead of peaking from 25-27 years old.

Hitting in front of Manny Ramirez has probably helped too.:smile:

ndgt10
06-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Zumaya is awesome.

oeo
06-11-2006, 03:53 PM

Enter Joel Zumaya...adios to Mr. Grilli Cheese Sandwich

Luis Gonzalez = roids.

Black Jays blow a 2-on, nobody out opportunity. 8-5 going to the 8th.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Hitting in front of Manny Ramirez has probably helped too.:smile:

He also couldn't stay healthy in Minnesota, which is the main reason why the Twins cut him loose.

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 03:59 PM
Well, 1st and 2nd with no outs turns into the end of the inning with Zumaya out there....wonder how long it takes for Leyland to switch Zumaya or Rodney back to closer, although Rodney was a major reason for the loss Friday night and earlier in the week against in the Sox.

The similarities between this year's Tigers and last year's Sox are interesting...

Ordonez equals Dye, 2 injury prone players with comeback seasons
Granderson equals Pods with more pop and better defense
Inge and Crede are both talented young players with ups and downs offensively
Polanco and Iguchi are pretty similar
Zumaya is Jenks
Rogers is Buehrle
Bonderman is their version of Garland
Rodney is Politte
Verlander is Contreras, exploding on the scene as an ace

The obvious differences are between Konerko-Shelton, SS (Santiago and Guillen) and Uribe...without D. Young, the Tigers have used M. Thames a lot at DH, whereas we had Thomas and Everett...I-Rod is still a better player than AJ, although not the dominating pressence he was 3-5 years ago (steroids?)

Chips
06-11-2006, 04:00 PM
The similarities between this year's Tigers and last year's Sox are interesting...

Rodney is Politte

Rodney is not a busted leg.

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 04:00 PM
That and the fact that they have discarded almost all of their veterans from that time period due to cost issues...

Rivas, Guzman, Koskie, Mientkiewicz, J. Jones, AJ Pierzynski, Guardardo, Romero and Hawkins

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 04:08 PM
Politte was incredible last season. Everyone predicted a return to norm from him, but, along with the predictable Hermanson loss....we just haven't come close to getting that 3.5-4.5 ERA from him.

Really, it's only Garland, CF, Uribe and the bullpen that are the differences....much better offense has left us at 38-23 instead of the 41-20 of last year. All things considered, not bad.

When we were 45-22 (last year), we were 6.5 games ahead of 2nd at that point in the season. This year, we are going to have our hands full at Texas and Cincy, two very difficult places for the Sox to play I think.

Let's hope Garland gives up less than 2 homers in his start....I think he misses pitching in GAB at least, where the Reds are leading baseball in homers and on a formidable hot streak, having swept Houston and STL on the road.

10-5 Blue Jays losing, I think this game can be officially surrendered...although I would have been curious to see who Leyland would have gone to in the 9th in a save situation today after using Jones twice in a row.

Farnsworth with yet another loss for the Bronx Bombers.

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Uh, oh....take that back, Garland will pitch Tuesday and Sunday....hopefully he will choose to talk to the press if he keeps on giving up more gopher balls this week.

RKMeibalane
06-11-2006, 04:22 PM
Ordonez equals Dye, 2 injury prone players with comeback seasons

To be fair, I don't know that I'd call The Other Guy injury-prone. He missed part of '04 and '05 with injuries, but has been healthy since then. I don't remember him missing time for anything else.

Patrick134
06-11-2006, 04:41 PM
Uh, oh....take that back, Garland will pitch Tuesday and Sunday....hopefully he will choose to talk to the press if he keeps on giving up more gopher balls this week.

I'd just like him to pitch well. I could care less if he talks to the media, win or lose. Talking to the media is overrated ( by the media of course).

TDog
06-11-2006, 04:48 PM
... Verlander is Contreras, exploding on the scene as an ace. ...

Verlander is an impressive rookie off to a fast start. Maybe he's Mark Fydrich, who at least had that one season in Detroit, but there is concern about the innings that he is putting up because this isn't the Cubs where no one was concerned about the innings Wood or Prior were putting up at the start of their careers.

Last year's Sox had a better bullpen than this year's Tigers. I think this year's Sox have a better bullpen than this year's Tigers. I think as they continue to be called upon into the season (the longterm loss of one starting pitcher and a good chance that Rogers, per his recent history, and Verlander will not be giving the team quality innings deep into games) the bullpen will be less effective.

Actually, I came to WSI this morning hoping to see what was going on in the Sox game. Unfortunately, it's a Sunday night game, and I have to work on Sunday nights. I liked it better when ESPN ignored the Sox.

SOXSINCE'70
06-11-2006, 05:10 PM
I liked it better when ESPN ignored the Sox.

What,you don't want to hear Joe Morgan proclaim himself
the best second baseman ever?? How about listening to
that blowhard Jon Miller say "OO-REE-BAY" all night??:D: :D:

I hate the bastards as well,but noone cares what we think.
You can write and write and write to the Crap City Cable Company
(you know them better as ESPN) but it will do you no good.
They're out to brainwash America.RESIST TEMPATATION!!

PicktoCLick72
06-11-2006, 06:25 PM
How about listening to that blowhard Jon Miller say "OO-REE-BAY" all night??:D: :D:

Not a problem. Cintron is starting.

cleanwsox
06-11-2006, 06:29 PM
I liked it better when ESPN ignored the Sox.

Not me, although it sucks listening to the broadcasters... I'll take any HD Sox game I can get.

Paulwny
06-11-2006, 07:04 PM
Tiger reliever Joel Zumaya showed 102 mph on the Jay's stadium radar gun. This is the 1st time that the Jay's radio announcers remember seeing any pitch above 99 mph on their gun.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Either a headache tomorrow or a heartache tonight.
---------------------------------------------------------------

SoxFanPrope
06-11-2006, 08:42 PM
Tiger reliever Joel Zumaya showed 102 mph on the Jay's stadium radar gun. This is the 1st time that the Jay's radio announcers remember seeing any pitch above 99 mph on their gun.
That might be the first time I can remember hearing anybody threw over 100 mph

TDog
06-12-2006, 04:07 AM

Koch hit 100 mph on the Blue Jays' radar gun when he pitched in Toronto. At least that's what the announcers said at the time.

Maybe they weren't the same announcers.

Baby Fisk
06-12-2006, 09:43 AM
The Jays offense is keeping them in the race so far this year. Their (backup) pitching is awful once again.

RedRamage
06-12-2006, 10:17 AM
The Tigers used to have another bullpen guy who could throw over 100 MPH... Matt Anderson was fun to watch a few years back. He could quite often get it over 100 MPH.

The big difference between Anderson and Zumaya, though, is that Zumaya has much better location and seem to have some legit off speed stuff while Anderson was all about the fastball. Zumaya was a starter in the minors too.

Paulwny
06-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Koch hit 100 mph on the Blue Jays' radar gun when he pitched in Toronto. At least that's what the announcers said at the time.

Maybe they weren't the same announcers.

Jerry Howarth, radio play by play announcer, he seemed positive that he never saw over 99mph on the Jays' scoreboard. When Zumaya was hitting 99mph he had someone check with the Jays' staff to see if the scorboard was limited to 2 digits. The following inning Zumaya hit 102 mph and Howarth made his statement about never seeing above 99 mph on the scoreboard.