PDA

View Full Version : Byrd, Wickman having it out after loss

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 01:35 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1150015110244090.xml&coll=2

I don't get the sense that this Indians team is capable of the same run as last year...but I am sure we will find out. They have too much talent to knock click on all cylinders at some point in the season.

oeo
06-11-2006, 01:40 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/sports/1150015110244090.xml&coll=2

I don't get the sense that this Indians team is capable of the same run as last year...but I am sure we will find out. They have too much talent to knock click on all cylinders at some point in the season.
With that starting pitching and bullpen, they're not going to do what they did last year. Add another starter and another 1-2 solid bullpen guys, and they could have another run like last year, with that offense. Their pitching is going to kill them, though. They will blow you out one night, and get blown out the next. And if it's not the rotation, their bullpen can hold a lead (see: the last two nights). They're not the same team they were last year, and they're not going to have that run. They better get things together both in the clubhouse and on the field, and do it fast.

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 01:52 PM
http://www.cleveland.com/sports/plaindealer/roger_brown/index.ssf?/base/sports/1150015090244090.xml&coll=2

Another article questioning whether the Indians made a mistake signing Peralta after only one solid season in the bigs...

Not having Peralta (firing on all cylinders) and Crisp has made a huge difference, although Michaels has done fairly well. Last year, Blake and Boone were horrible the first couple of months but the pitching carried them through until their offense picked up in August.

Any team with Sizemore, Hafner and Martinez (hot in the first half this season) is going to be dangerous. And that Broussard-Perez platoon is putting up combined stats comparable with any 1B in the league.

The obvious difference here in between Jason Johnson and Millwood (Byrd vs. Elarton is a wash), along with their woefully inexperienced pen. Carmona or Sowers might be studs in the future...but they're not quite ready yet.

ViPeRx007
06-11-2006, 02:12 PM
As those little girls of Hanson once said, "Where's The Love?"

Seriously though, that kind of sucks for Cleveland....

:rolling:

infohawk
06-11-2006, 02:35 PM
I understand being frustrated after a blown save, but what grounds does Byrd have for callling out Wickman? Byrd has contributed toward more losses than Wickman has. My gosh, it was Wickman's first blown save in something like 17 chances! I wonder if Byrd got all over Blake for missing the cut-off man?

caulfield12
06-11-2006, 02:41 PM
Actually, 24 chances.....after one blown save, you don't have the right to wear anything on your arm after the game apparently.

Watch out in Texas then, as Otsuka just blew at 2 run lead to Boston in the bottom of the 9th and the Rangers-Cordero probably lead baseball in blown saves...nice for the Sox when rolling into town, eh?

Maybe Byrdie was telling them all about how he beat Contreras in Game 1 of the ALCS.