PDA

View Full Version : Brian Anderson's minimum batting average?

Vernam
06-11-2006, 12:32 PM
What is the minimum batting average Brian Anderson needs to achieve by the All Star break for him to remain our starting CF in the second half of the season?

SweetnesSox
06-11-2006, 01:28 PM
good question. I'd say .200, because anything up is good.

oeo
06-11-2006, 01:31 PM
He's going to have to bat .300 or so to get it between .200 and .225. Anything higher than that is ridiculous, because I do not see him raising his average up 100+ points in a month.

Jjav829
06-11-2006, 01:32 PM
.275/.250 is unrealistic. There isn't a simple answer to this question. It all depends on the alternatives. If Mackowiak ends up hitting .330 in his limited time and Anderson is still hitting .150, then you can't ignore that disparity. But if Mackowiak is hitting .230 and Anderson .190, then Anderson gets the nod over Mackowiak.

But what it really depends on is who is available in a trade. If Griffey/Clark/Hunter, etc. is available and worth the price, then KW has to consider making a move.

SouthSideSoxFan
06-11-2006, 01:44 PM
As of right now, Brian Anderson (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=435042) is batting .152 with 19 hits in 125 at-bats, after the White Sox have played 61 games.

If he were to accumulate at-bats at the same pace, then he'll get 41 more at-bats in the remaining 20 games before the all-star break. To bat .200, he'd have to get 33 hits in those remaining 41 at-bats! At that pace, he'd have to be hitting .805 between now and the all-star break to have a .200 batting average... [note: poor math pointed out/corrected later in the thread!]

So what I'm saying, even if he gets more starts, and starts batting well, there's no way he's going to break .200 by the all-star break.

Vernam
06-11-2006, 01:48 PM
.275/.250 is unrealistic. There isn't a simple answer to this question. It all depends on the alternatives. If Mackowiak ends up hitting .330 in his limited time and Anderson is still hitting .150, then you can't ignore that disparity. But if Mackowiak is hitting .230 and Anderson .190, then Anderson gets the nod over Mackowiak.I debated making the poll ceiling lower (.250) but figured someone would slam me for ignoring the kid's potential. :wink:

I voted .225, in the realization that it's unlikely he can get there by the break. I do think KW will make a trade, probably for a rental who plays above-average defense but won't be there to block Anderson's progress in 2007. Reading between the lines of KW's conversation on Friday with Ozzie, I think it went like this:
KW: There's no help in sight. For the time being your CF choice is between Anderson and Mackowiak. We need to give the kid a vote of confidence, whether or not you decide to platoon them.

Ozzie: **** me! OK, I'll stop throwing the rookie under the bus for now, but you have to promise we'll get a real CF for the stretch run. I'm not going into the playoffs with Mackowiak as my everyday CF.

KW: Deal. After the game tonight, tell the reporters we're choosing Anderson's defense and praying for his offense. I've got a feeling he'll come up big with the glove to save a game, maybe real soon.
Vernam

oeo
06-11-2006, 01:52 PM
As of right now, Brian Anderson (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/team/player.jsp?player_id=435042) is batting .152 with 19 hits in 125 at-bats, after the White Sox have played 61 games.

If he were to accumulate at-bats at the same pace, then he'll get 41 more at-bats in the remaining 20 games before the all-star break. To bat .200, he'd have to get 33 hits in those remaining 41 at-bats! At that pace, he'd have to be hitting .805 between now and the all-star break to have a .200 batting average...

So what I'm saying, even if he gets more starts, and starts batting well, there's no way he's going to break .200 by the all-star break.
Yeah, let's be realistic. I don't know where you're getting those numbers from. He needs only 34 hits on the year (according to your 41 mark), to get over .200. Which is 15/41...I still think he will get 50+ at-bats, though.

33/41 would bring him to an unbelievable mark of .313.

SouthSideSoxFan
06-11-2006, 01:57 PM
Yeah, let's be realistic. I don't know where you're getting those numbers from. He needs only 34 hits on the year (according to your 41 mark), to get over .200. Which is 15/41...I still think he will get 50+ at-bats, though.

Whoops, stupid math error on my part. :o: Bit of a rush to judgement.

He needs 14 hits in the projected 41 more at-bats to break .200. So he'd need to be htting .341 between now and the all-star break to have a .200 batting average.

Still a huge long shot!

digdagdug23
06-11-2006, 01:59 PM
Let's just say this:

BA is the top centerfielder in the organization right now. IF he could get one solid hit, or at least be patient enough to draw a single walk each game, I would say leave him there.

But, having said that, I don't know if his bat will pick up or not before the ASB. It has to be frustrating knowing that pretty much everyone in the ballpark is just WAITING for you to get a hit, and all you want to do is hit, all your team wants you to do is hit, and you are not hitting. How do you get a guy past that?

Scottiehaswheels
06-11-2006, 01:59 PM

He needs 14 hits in the projected 41 more at-bats to break .200. So he'd need to be htting .341 between now and the all-star break to have a .200 batting average.

Still a huge long shot!Not really a total long shot really... if some of his squibs to third get through with a pulled in infield its a possibility...

oeo
06-11-2006, 02:00 PM

Still a huge long shot!
To break .200, he would need 15 hits, which would bring that number to .365.

Why is .341 a long shot? .365 in 41 at-bats is not a longshot, by any means. Sure that would be tough to get over the span of a season, but in 41 at-bats...all he has to do is get in a groove.

And like I said, I think he will get more than 41 at-bats in this final month.

Chips
06-11-2006, 02:00 PM

Still a huge long shot!

I'm going to say he does it. .215 by the all-star break.

oeo
06-11-2006, 02:07 PM
The amazing thing about this whole discussion:

Opening Night, Brian went 2/3 with a walk, and 2 RBI's. I seriously thought we had a Rookie of the Year on our hands. He had a great spring as well, which means this is a slump, and not what some think, that this is Brian Anderson and he will never improve. He's thinking too much, and you can't do that when you're at the plate.

ViPeRx007
06-11-2006, 02:30 PM
Part of me wants to just keep BA in there and let him work out his problems, and another part of me says, what would a week or 2 trip to Triple-A really hurt? Sending him down might give him the spark he needs to get his bat going again.

I'm not saying to keep him down there for a long time, just a quick trip to joggle his mind a bit.

Just something to try, because this is one heck of a slump right now..

That said, I guess I'd say he needs to get about .200 to stay, because at this point, that would make for a pretty good month before the All Star break. Anything above that is probably asking for way too much.

Chips
06-11-2006, 02:32 PM
Part of me wants to just keep BA in there and let him work out his problems, and another part of me says, what would a week or 2 trip to Triple-A really hurt? Sending him down might give him the spark he needs to get his bat going again.

I feel the same way about. A trip down might serve him good, but I don't like Mack out in center. Whatever works will be fine by me.

Railsplitter
06-11-2006, 02:39 PM
.200, his fielding is adequate.

ViPeRx007
06-11-2006, 02:40 PM
I feel the same way about. A trip down might serve him good, but I don't like Mack out in center. Whatever works will be fine by me.
I don't either, but just for a week or two I think I could handle it. Especially if it ends up helping BA in the long run.

Hitmen77
06-11-2006, 03:05 PM
I would go by what he averages over the next month. Since he's at .154 now, he would have to suddenly hit at an unrealistic clip to raise his avg. 50 to 100 pts.

How about seeing if BA, if he's given regular at bats, can hit .220 between now and the all-star break? I'm hoping that having him face something other than all-star calliber left handers will help a little.

Gavin
06-11-2006, 03:43 PM
The amazing thing about this whole discussion:

Opening Night, Brian went 2/3 with a walk, and 2 RBI's. I seriously thought we had a Rookie of the Year on our hands. He had a great spring as well, which means this is a slump, and not what some think, that this is Brian Anderson and he will never improve. He's thinking too much, and you can't do that when you're at the plate.

So he does good on one MLB occasion and is simply "slumping" after that? I'm inclined to think he just had one good night and returned to form after that.

Jjav829
06-12-2006, 12:16 AM
So he does good on one MLB occasion and is simply "slumping" after that? I'm inclined to think he just had one good night and returned to form after that.

Yeah, a slump by it's very definition implies that the slumpee was at a high at some point and then suddenly declined. Seeing as how Anderson has been over .200 for about 8 days in his MLB career, this can't be defined as a "slump."

StatHead21
06-12-2006, 02:23 AM
Forget what he's done so far, to be a productive part of the team he has to hit about .260-275 with some pop from here on out.

oeo
06-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Yeah, a slump by it's very definition implies that the slumpee was at a high at some point and then suddenly declined. Seeing as how Anderson has been over .200 for about 8 days in his MLB career, this can't be defined as a "slump."

Fine, he's off to a slow start, then. But I have faith that is all it is, and that he will turn his season around. Everyone will be laughing by the end of the season that we were even worried about him.

StillMissOzzie
06-12-2006, 03:33 AM
IMHO, this poll is irrelevant.

The reason I think so can be summarized in two words...Ron Karkovice.
In 1987, Karko hit a resounding .071 - yes, less than HALF of Anderson's current clip. The Sox needed his defense, in particular his penchant for nabbing would-be base stealers, a lot more than they needed his bat. The Sox stuck with him through the Fisk twilight years and he gradually improved. He actually got up to the .250 - .275 range for a few years.

For his career, Karko hit .221, not quite HOF material, but decent enough, especially when that .071 for 1987 is factored in there.

SMO
:gulp:

oeo
06-12-2006, 03:38 AM
IMHO, this poll is irrelevant.

The reason I think so can be summarized in two words...Ron Karkovice.
In 1987, Karko hit a resounding .071 - yes, less than HALF of Anderson's current clip. The Sox needed his defense, in particular his penchant for nabbing would-be base stealers, a lot more than they needed his bat. The Sox stuck with him through the Fisk twilight years and he gradually improved. He actually got up to the .250 - .275 range for a few years.

For his career, Karko hit .221, not quite HOF material, but decent enough, especially when that .071 for 1987 is factored in there.

SMO
:gulp:

Brian will hit .250+ by the end of the season. People are overreacting when they say he hasn't improved at all. If I remember correctly, he was swinging at everything at the beginning of the year. He's been working the count and fouling pitches off, and today it finally paid off with a couple of hits. He'll be fine.

TDog
06-12-2006, 03:40 AM
His batting average is irrelevant. If Anderson gets some walks, a few hits and makes productive outs, as opposed to being a black hole in the lineup, his defense will keep him around.

White Sox baseball isn't about individual statistics, but winning games. When I saw the Sox lost tonight, I didn't check to see "if Thome hit one."

Grzegorz
06-12-2006, 05:50 AM
The kid will be alright; I'd be worried about a RHP out of the pen and getting our starting pitchers to pitch with consistency.

Ol' No. 2
06-12-2006, 01:23 PM
What's done is done. I'd be happy with him hitting .200 from here on out.

ode to veeck
06-12-2006, 02:31 PM
:threadblows:

Randar68
06-12-2006, 03:05 PM
What is the minimum batting average Brian Anderson needs to achieve by the All Star break for him to remain our starting CF in the second half of the season?

This poll is both stupid and poorly structured.

If you want to make a semi-relevant poll, try asking the following:

"What would Brian Anderson have to hit between now and (insert date) in order to still be the CF'er..."

What he's done to this point means zilch. He's still our best option and he's still out there regularly, so the improvement he shows is more important than some number that's dependent on the last 2 months...

Randar68
06-12-2006, 03:10 PM
I would go by what he averages over the next month. Since he's at .154 now, he would have to suddenly hit at an unrealistic clip to raise his avg. 50 to 100 pts.

How about seeing if BA, if he's given regular at bats, can hit .220 between now and the all-star break? I'm hoping that having him face something other than all-star calliber left handers will help a little.

How about Ozzie lets him play everyday instead of sitting him against crappy RH'ers and then putting him out there against Sabbathia, Santana, Lee, Kenny Rogers, etc... There is a glut of good LH'd starters in our division, and Ozzie seems to have Anderson in the line-up against these guys and then sits him against the intimidating likes of Vincente Padilla...

Vernam
06-12-2006, 04:01 PM
This poll is both stupid and poorly structured.Whatever! Is it really that difficult? :?:

Clearly, the most straightforward way to keep track of his progress is to check his cumulative average -- you know, the one in every daily newspaper coast-to-coast. But if you want to volunteer every day to tabulate his running total from June 11 through any given date, feel free to start your own very clever poll.

Vernam