PDA

View Full Version : Umpires returning 6/12

Paulwny
06-11-2006, 12:30 PM
Confirmation of an earlier report this week in the Buffalo News. Part of an article by Mike Harrington, Buffalo News 6/11:

Umps need control

Minor-league umpires are scheduled to be back at work by Monday and they'll make their season debut in Dunn Tire Park on Saturday night against Indianapolis. Their return will be a huge relief for players and managers as well as major-league scouts and farm directors. It's been practically impossible to evaulate hitters and pitchers this year because inconsistent strike zones are baffling both sides.
"I'm not going to take anything away from the job [the replacements] did because baseball could not have gone on without them so we're all grateful," Lovullo said. "But they are just not quite as experienced and as good for this level as the Triple-A umpires are."
Lovullo said he's looking forward to the real strike zone getting re-established - and for the regular umps to take back control. "There will be a lot of quick ejections because guys have gotten away with murder, both our players and every opposing team we've seen," Lovullo said. "You see guys putting bats down on home plate after third strikes and walking back to the dugout. You do that [with a regular umpire] if it's not the third out and you're done."

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20060611/1026152.asp

minorsfan
06-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Actually the "real" umpires started on Friday June 9 in the International League, I am not sure on other leagues.

Paulwny
06-11-2006, 04:10 PM
Actually the "real" umpires started on Friday June 9 in the International League, I am not sure on other leagues.

Some umps may have started early. Buffalo is in the International League and Mike Harrington, who wrote the article, is the Bison beat writer.

minorsfan
06-11-2006, 04:36 PM
Some umps may have started early. Buffalo is in the International League and Mike Harrington, who wrote the article, is the Bison beat writer.

I know Buffalo is in the International League, like I said in my earlier post the International League umps started on Friday June 9th (all games). The Bisons actually are playing the Knights in Charlotte in a 4 game set that started on Friday. I am good friends with one of the umps for the International League, so I heard the info first-hand from him and the Knights personnel. Maybe he was just misinformed.

He gone
06-11-2006, 06:19 PM
I'm glad they are back. If you go to the games or listen to them you'd see how bad the Scabs are. The games last longer because of all the arguing between the players/coaches and the Umps.