PDA

View Full Version : 50th birthday @ Sox Park

tulsasoxfan
06-11-2006, 10:16 AM
I'll be coming to Chicago (from Tulsa, ok) to celebrate my 50th birthday. I have tickets for 7/3 and 7/4 games. Couple of questions. 1. With all the construction ...any tips on getting to game from New Lenox. 2. I would like to take in all the atmosphere and I have dinner near the park. I'll have my 15 year old son with me so bars are out. I'm originally from Chicagoland and have been a Sox fan nearly all my life.
:happybday

SouthSideSoxFan
06-11-2006, 10:38 AM
Dinner near the park? How about dinner AT the park! A fun option is to get some Stadium Club passes, and make a reservation for an early dinner before the game. It's very good food, a buffet in the style you'd find in a four-star hotel, and a great view (http://whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/ipix/purchase_membership.html) of batting practice.

Ask around on the WSI Ticket Exchange (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=19) about picking up a few Stadium Club passes, or in the worst case go to StubHub's 7/3 Listings (http://www.stubhub.com/chicago-white-sox-tickets/?event_id=223486) and buy some there. Once you get the passes, call two weeks before the start of the homestand to make a reservation, in this case 6/19, and ask for a table on the first level by the windows. You can't do this until you have passes in hand as they'll need the account number on the passes, and bring a credit card as they don't take cash.

FoulkeFan
06-11-2006, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the construction. I've been to quite a few games this season coming from Tinley Park and haven't run into too much traffic on I-57 and the Dan Ryan. Plus the days that you are going to be here will probably be lighter traffic because of the holiday. It might take you slightly longer than normal but probably nothing to worry about.

If you are looking for a cheaper option for dinner than the Stadium Club, I would recommend either Schaller's Pump (37th and Halsted) for good, basic food or Pancho Pistolas (31st just east of Halsted) for Mexican food.

tulsasoxfan
06-11-2006, 11:32 AM
Is it ok for under 21 to be at Schaller's Pump

digdagdug23
06-11-2006, 11:54 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the construction. I've been to quite a few games this season coming from Tinley Park and haven't run into too much traffic on I-57 and the Dan Ryan. Plus the days that you are going to be here will probably be lighter traffic because of the holiday. It might take you slightly longer than normal but probably nothing to worry about.

Really, Because we came in for a few games, and both times I was DUMB enough to take the Ryan, and both times the traffic was terrible. Two hours to the 'burbs, and another 2.5 hours to the Cell. I need to figure out a way to come at it from a different angle, like up from the south. I would think traffic would be worse because of the holiday, Especially the 3rd, with the tourists going to watch the fireworks. But maybe I am wrong.

oscars gamble
06-11-2006, 12:33 PM

Yes, I recommend the veal cutlet. My son loves the homemade french fries. He is under 21.

Edward
06-11-2006, 02:09 PM

I'm sure it is, I look very young and I don't even get carded for booze when I'm in there (I've even gotten "to-go" drinks in there). Just don't try to use the front door :cool:

tebman
06-11-2006, 02:49 PM
Tulsa,

First of all, welcome!

If you're coming from New Lenox, I'd suggest getting on I-55 at Lemont Road, Cass Avenue, or whichever is most convenient. Take I-55 north into the city and exit at the Damen/Ashland exit. Go to Damen (left lane on the exit ramp) and turn right.

Take Damen south a mile or so to Pershing. Turn left (east) on Pershing, and continue to Stewart, which is actually the alley immediately past the railroad viaduct near the park. Turn left on Stewart, which leads directly into Parking Lot F.

There are green signs all along this route that say "White Sox Parking" with arrows pointing the appropriate direction. It's easy and has minimal traffic.

Enjoy the games, and Happy Birthday! :gulp:

TornLabrum
06-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Tulsa,

First of all, welcome!

If you're coming from New Lenox, I'd suggest getting on I-55 at Lemont Road, Cass Avenue, or whichever is most convenient. Take I-55 north into the city and exit at the Damen/Ashland exit. Go to Damen (left lane on the exit ramp) and turn right.

Take Damen south a mile or so to Pershing. Turn left (east) on Pershing, and continue to Stewart, which is actually the alley immediately past the railroad viaduct near the park. Turn left on Stewart, which leads directly into Parking Lot F.

There are green signs all along this route that say "White Sox Parking" with arrows pointing the appropriate direction. It's easy and has minimal traffic.

Enjoy the games, and Happy Birthday! :gulp:
I'd recommend something a bit different after getting off I-55. I'd turn right on Wood (first stop sign) and take it to Pershing and make that left. However, rather than go to Stewart, I'd turn left on Halsted to 37th St. (in front of Schaller's) and make a right there. You can take that to Lot F and get in that gate. If for some reason the gate there isn't open then just go to Princeton and make a right, and then another right on 38th, and get into Lot F that way (south gate).

Heck, if you're early enough, you can even pay cash in Lot E. I did that a couple of weeks ago.

tulsasoxfan
06-12-2006, 04:57 PM
thanks for all the info:gulp: