PDA

View Full Version : Daver Isnt Going to Like This

RichH55
02-06-2002, 07:23 AM
The White Sox are optimistic about Ryan Kohlmeier, a right-hander they claimed off waivers from Baltimore.

"Our Scouts believe Ryan is a much better pitcher than his stats showed last year." KW Said
Kohlmeier was 1-2 with a 7.30 ERA and six saves in 34 appearances.

Taken from Baseball Weekly

RedPinStripes
02-06-2002, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by RichH55
The White Sox are optimistic about Ryan Kohlmeier, a right-hander they claimed off waivers from Baltimore.

"Our Scouts believe Ryan is a much better pitcher than his stats showed last year." KW Said
Kohlmeier was 1-2 with a 7.30 ERA and six saves in 34 appearances.

Taken from Baseball Weekly

***? How can you be good if you have an era over 7.00? That's not tough luck. The guy was canned by the friggin O's! This is why baseball needs contraction. Because guys like him and Jammie Navarro can still find a job.

czalgosz
02-06-2002, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

***? How can you be good if you have an era over 7.00? That's not tough luck. The guy was canned by the friggin O's! This is why baseball needs contraction. Because guys like him and Jammie Navarro can still find a job.

Hopefully this is just talk - unless the Sox elect to carry 12 pitchers or someone is hurt, I don't see how there's room for Kohlmeier.

Foulke, Howry, Wunsch and Osuna are all guaranteed jobs if healthy. That leaves two spots open, and with Glover, Wright, and Biddle apparently battling for one rotation spot, at least one of those guys will definitely be in the 'pen as a long reliever. The last spot should definitely be used for another lefty, because I don't want to leave all of that task up to Wunsch and his sore shoulder.

Kohlmeier is the type of guy who is nice to have in AAA to bring up for a couple weeks in July when someone gets hurt.

voodoochile
02-06-2002, 12:22 PM
Don't know if Kohlmeyer will turn into the next Foulke or the next Gascan, but I thought this picture (a graph of his 2001 ERA) was interesting...

Note it does come back onto the chart at the end...

RichH55
02-06-2002, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by voodoochile
Don't know if Kohlmeyer will turn into the next Foulke or the next Gascan, but I thought this picture (a graph of his 2001 ERA) was interesting...

Note it does come back onto the chart at the end...

LOL....still the thing that concerms me is that he looks like a guy you take a chance on if he's a leftie and you really need a leftie....Embree type stuff....I dont know a ton about Kohlmeyer besides Daver's assertion that he throws salad, so what I have heard isnt promising...I would hope we have the pitching depth where he starts the year in Triple A and tries to prove himself that way

moochpuppy
02-06-2002, 01:26 PM
Originally posted by RedPinStripes

This is why baseball needs contraction. Because guys like him and Jammie Navarro can still find a job.

And players like Alan Benes and Donovan Osborne. Hmmmm, maybe they should just contract the Cubs? Then none of these washed-up thiry-something players can't find work.

duke of dorwood
02-06-2002, 01:30 PM
Didn't the Pirates say the same thing about Kip?

Daver
02-06-2002, 05:39 PM
Anyone wanna bet on whether he makes the 25 man roster?

czalgosz
02-06-2002, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by daver
Anyone wanna bet on whether he makes the 25 man roster?

I'll take that bet... oh, wait, you want to bet he won't make the team, don't you? Never mind.

RedPinStripes
02-06-2002, 05:59 PM
He better not make it. :angry:

kermittheefrog
02-06-2002, 06:59 PM
From Kohlmeier's Scouting Notebook 2002 entry:

"He doesn't have an out pitch but tends to rely on a quick-breaking slider to get out of jams."

I don't want a guy who they flat out say doesn't haev an out pitch. And he does throw salad, I've seen it in person.