PDA

View Full Version : Juiced ball Observation

DannyCaterFan
06-10-2006, 08:17 PM
I have been a 27 game season ticket holder in the upper deck at US Cellular for 6 years now, and something different is happening up there that had never occurred before this season. Foul Balls reaching the upper deck!
Oh sure, balls had been hit up there on occasion, but I don't think I had witnessed more than 7-10 balls hit up there each season. This year, balls are coming up there at a rate of about 5 a game. Last night something happened that I had never, ever seen. A foul ball hit by Grady Sizemore went on the roof between first and home. Up on the ROOF!! Never seen that in 6-7 seasons.
Anyone else notice this?? Is this one way to tell that the ball might be wound a little tighter this year?

Chips
06-10-2006, 08:20 PM
I have been a 27 game season ticket holder in the upper deck at US Cellular for 6 years now, and something different is happening up there that had never occurred before this season. Foul Balls reaching the upper deck!
Oh sure, balls had been hit up there on occasion, but I don't think I had witnessed more than 7-10 balls hit up there each season. This year, balls are coming up there at a rate of about 5 a game. Last night something happened that I had never, ever seen. A foul ball hit by Grady Sizemore went on the roof between first and home. Up on the ROOF!! Never seen that in 6-7 seasons.
Anyone else notice this?? Is this one way to tell that the ball might be wound a little tighter this year?

I saw 5 or so today go up there. I think Mackowiak hit two up there in one at-bat.

TornLabrum
06-10-2006, 11:28 PM

Notice it? I heard it hit. Either the balls are wound tighter or more HGH is being distributed to the players.

LuvSox
06-10-2006, 11:37 PM
Notice it? I heard it hit. Either the balls are wound tighter or more HGH is being distributed to the players.

There is no way in hell Mackowiak is using it. :D:

Chicken Dinner
06-10-2006, 11:48 PM
Feds subpoena all ball manufacturing records at Rawlings...........I don't think so.

Fuller_Schettman
06-11-2006, 03:20 PM
Just look at team ERA's. Last year, about 8 teams had ERA's under 4.00. This season only the Tigers do, and at the rate they have been going lately that won't last long...

MRKARNO
06-11-2006, 03:26 PM

Or some of the new restrictions are hurting the pitchers a lot more than the hitters. While some of the biggest names connected with the steroid scandals have been hitters, more pitchers have been caught from what I've seen so far.

oeo
06-11-2006, 03:33 PM
Or some of the new restrictions are hurting the pitchers a lot more than the hitters. While some of the biggest names connected with the steroid scandals have been hitters, more pitchers have been caught from what I've seen so far.

That still doesn't explain why what used to be a rare occasion, is now happening multiple times in a game.

A ball hit the roof? That's pretty amazing.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-11-2006, 03:34 PM
our seats are in 524 row 11. The I went with my mom and dad the other night and mom told me that I better catch one if it comes up here. I told her that almost never happens. A few minutes later one was hit but was about 1 foot shy of clearing the club level and bouncing into our section.

UD Foul balls are happening much more often, and not just behind the plate but off to the sides as well

batmanZoSo
06-11-2006, 04:05 PM
Just look at team ERA's. Last year, about 8 teams had ERA's under 4.00. This season only the Tigers do, and at the rate they have been going lately that won't last long...

Yeah, ERAs are definitely up around the league. Just look at our own rotation. And there have been a lot of curiously looooong home runs hit this year. Didn't Soriano hit one that was like 508 or something? Come on...

DannyCaterFan
06-11-2006, 05:51 PM
All I know is over the past 5 years only a handful of foulballs ever made it all the way up to the upper deck while I was there, now they are coming up regularly and one even made it to the roof Friday night!

PKalltheway
06-12-2006, 01:33 AM
Yeah, ERAs are definitely up around the league. Just look at our own rotation. And there have been a lot of curiously looooong home runs hit this year. Didn't Soriano hit one that was like 508 or something? Come on...
I know. Marlins outfielder Reggie Abercrombie, of all people, hit a 493 foot home run in Cincinnati earlier this year. REGGIE ABERCROMBIE.:?:

StatHead21
06-12-2006, 01:37 AM
The balls are the same but players are stronger(even without roids), the strike zone is smaller and every player on the field has long ball capability compared to 15 year ago when teams valued defense more than offense.

miker
06-12-2006, 09:51 AM
'Roids, 'roids, 'roids, 'roids...

Dan Mega
06-12-2006, 10:08 AM
Greg Maddux was quoted earlier this year that the ball has a definite different feel to it this year.

Maybe Hawk wasn't crazy when he said the balls are wound tighter. Selig and Co. would just be trying to save face after the steroids fallout.

:boston
"See, even without the 'roids, the players are still hitting them farther!"

harwar
06-12-2006, 10:14 AM
Yea,Roger Clements had to use a "major league ball" last night when he pitched in a rehab stint down in the texas leagues.
He said the seams are "different".
He probably means tighter because i've heard many players state that the seams used to stick out farther than they do now.

voodoochile
06-12-2006, 12:27 PM
In my mind there is no doubt the ball is wound tighter this year. It hit me on opening night when Thome smoked that 3-run shot after the rain delay. My first thought was WOW that ball really jumped off the bat.

I've also had more times than I can count this year where my first though on a flyball was "popup" or "routine fly" and watched in amazement as the ball drifts into the stands or the OF has to run it down on the track.

Thome, JD and PK are examples 1-2-3 of what is going on. All of them are good power hitters, but to have 3 guys on a pace to hit 50+ is simply ridiculous.

MRM
06-12-2006, 03:04 PM
The balls are the same but players are stronger(even without roids), the strike zone is smaller and every player on the field has long ball capability compared to 15 year ago when teams valued defense more than offense.

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. It's the strike zone. That's why ERA's are up and why pitch counts are up. The Sox have that Q-tec thing this year scaring umps into smaller zones. The hitters can wait on their pitch more often because they are ahead in the count more often. That smaller zone kills guys like Buehrle and Garland. There's no question the players are stronger than in past eras, and that ballparks keep getting smaller. Add temendous scouting reports and computer analyzed data to those things and you get a pretty simple answer to balls flying all over the place.

I would add one other thing of consequence, at least as far as the increase in HRs goes...the weather! It was an exceptionally warm spring across the country. No question the hitters are more comfortable and the ball carries much better in the warm weather. What would have been a medium-deep fly ball at the cell in Aprils past was in the 4th row this year.

fuzzy_patters
06-12-2006, 03:26 PM
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. It's the strike zone. That's why ERA's are up and why pitch counts are up. The Sox have that Q-tec thing this year scaring umps into smaller zones. The hitters can wait on their pitch more often because they are ahead in the count more often. That smaller zone kills guys like Buehrle and Garland. There's no question the players are stronger than in past eras, and that ballparks keep getting smaller. Add temendous scouting reports and computer analyzed data to those things and you get a pretty simple answer to balls flying all over the place.

I would add one other thing of consequence, at least as far as the increase in HRs goes...the weather! It was an exceptionally warm spring across the country. No question the hitters are more comfortable and the ball carries much better in the warm weather. What would have been a medium-deep fly ball at the cell in Aprils past was in the 4th row this year.

Hawk has mentioned on numerous occasions that US Cellular field is not a Questec field any longer.

MRM
06-13-2006, 02:36 AM
Hawk has mentioned on numerous occasions that US Cellular field is not a Questec field any longer.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060611&content_id=1501041&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Nothing against Hawk, but as of two days ago Mark Buehrle and the Chicago White Sox certainly thought it was.

Grzegorz
06-13-2006, 04:59 AM
To make this game better the rules have to be applied. The true strikezone should be enforced and the baseball should revert back to the original recipe.

Baseball is a beautiful game that doesn't have to be "dumbed down" for the masses.

mcfish
06-13-2006, 08:38 AM
To make this game better the rules have to be applied. The true strikezone should be enforced and the baseball should revert back to the original recipe.

Baseball is a beautiful game that doesn't have to be "dumbed down" for the masses.You wouldn't really suggest that we ignore 100+ years of advancements and go back to the ball they used when baseball started, would you? http://www.npl.uiuc.edu/~a-nathan/pob/evolution.html (http://www.npl.uiuc.edu/%7Ea-nathan/pob/evolution.html). Here is an article on the history of the baseball - point to the one that we should use. Shall we go back to horsehide (switched to cowhide in 1974), or maybe use a rubber core instead of cork (switched in 1910)?