PDA

View Full Version : Sox-Cleveland brawl?

thomas35forever
06-10-2006, 05:06 PM
FOX was showing history of the rivalry at the beginning of the postgame show and I noticed that there was once a brawl between the two teams at Jacobs Field. When did this happen and why?

batmanZoSo
06-10-2006, 05:07 PM
In late 2000, the Toons had a little hissy fit because we were kicking their ass then like we are now.

I'm sketchy on the details...I remember it involved one of the Alomars...:?:

Lip Man 1
06-10-2006, 10:26 PM
I believe there was also one in 1994 when the new park opened. If memory serves I recall Robin, Roberto Hernandez and a few others getting into it.

Lip

CHISOXFAN13
06-10-2006, 10:29 PM
There might be another one if Martinez keeps acting like an ******* every time he hits a homer. Here's an idea Victor, try throwing someone out at second for once.

Lip Man 1
06-10-2006, 10:59 PM
Of the five guys he's thrown out, two are from the Sox.

:rolleyes:

Lip

oeo
06-10-2006, 11:02 PM

Lip
Well the Sox are probably the most aggressive team that they've played the most. Of course he's going to throw out more guys when we've played them a total of 11 times and are fairly aggressive. It still doesn't cancel out the fact that he's 5/47 or whatever the number is. And he's still an ******* like every other guy on that team. I hate the Indians with a passion, I'd like to see some asskicking.

esbrechtel
06-11-2006, 01:46 AM
there was discussion of "extra curricular activities" possibly happening at the ball park on sunday night baseball during the post game show on the score because of the post homerun celebration and ozuna flipping his bat.....we will see....maybe BA will stab a guy

Vernam
06-11-2006, 01:52 AM
In fairness, our pitchers have hit four of their batters in the past two games, but the Indians haven't gone off the deep end and retaliated the way, for example, a Tony LaRussa-managed team would. Shows a little class, I think.

Or maybe it just shows that they're our bitches! :redneck

Vernam

Frontman
06-11-2006, 08:52 AM

Lip

Might that be due to us playing them almost every other series?

:smile:

Front

SOXSINCE'70
06-11-2006, 10:07 AM

Vernam

Vernam,
FYI,the Sox are only 5-6 against the 'Toons.
The Sox may have a psychological edge,but the 'Toons
aren't their bitches quite yet.Check back in September.

Thome25
06-11-2006, 10:37 AM
Part of me wants the White Sox to retaliate against martinez if what everyone is saying is true about his HR celebration.

Also, I wouldn't mind seeing Travis Hafner get plunked in the mouth again ala Mark Buehrle for the classless way he acted during the ring ceremony and the things he said before and after. paraphrasing: "I think I'll be in the bathroom throwing up during the celebration." There's a couple of things called class and sportsmanship. Hafner had neither.

But, I wouldn't want there to be a brawl for two simple facts:

1.) I wouldn't want any of our guys hurt.
2.) I wouldn't want any of our guys suspended for any length of time because we're in a Division, and hopefully a pennant/world series race.

Vernam
06-11-2006, 10:43 AM
Vernam,
FYI,the Sox are only 5-6 against the 'Toons.Thanks for pointing out the obvious. :rolleyes: And for killing the buzz of our two-game winning streak against them.

Vernam

SBSoxFan
06-11-2006, 11:11 AM
In fairness, our pitchers have hit four of their batters in the past two games, but the Indians haven't gone off the deep end and retaliated the way, for example, a Tony LaRussa-managed team would. Shows a little class, I think.

Vernam

Their batters should attempt to actually get out of the way of an inside pitch. It seems to me that's part of their game plan now. If your down in the count, get hit. Sizemore tried to get hit by a pitch yesterday, but somehow it missed him.

When Boone was batting against Jenks, Jenks threw a 97 mph high, inside fastball. I swear I heard someone in the crowd yell "You better try and get out of the way of that one!" :cool:

I swear, guys not trying to avoid getting hit is a pet peeve for me. The umps really need to start enforcing it better!!!!!!!

socko82
06-11-2006, 11:14 AM
In late 2000, the Toons had a little hissy fit because we were kicking their ass then like we are now.

I'm sketchy on the details...I remember it involved one of the Alomars...:?:

It was the day after the Sox clinched in Minnesota. Tony G slid hard into second and Robby didn't like it. Robby didn't even get knocked down but started talking trash and the benches emptied, no punches were thrown and it was no big deal. The game was meaningless so I guess Robby thought that meant both teams should just go throught the motions.

RowanDye
06-11-2006, 11:40 AM
there was discussion of "extra curricular activities" possibly happening at the ball park on sunday night baseball....we will see....maybe BA will stab a guy

I would not put it past him if another fight broke out, he is wild. Of course I'd much rather see him stab a few balls into play.

BeviBall!
06-11-2006, 02:07 PM
It was the day after the Sox clinched in Minnesota. Tony G slid hard into second and Robby didn't like it. Robby didn't even get knocked down but started talking trash and the benches emptied, no punches were thrown and it was no big deal. The game was meaningless so I guess Robby thought that meant both teams should just go throught the motions.

That's exactly what it was... I believe it was that make up game from the earlier series where Valentin made that spectacular catch in the stands to shrink our magic number.