PDA

View Full Version : Say It's So

slobes
06-10-2006, 03:08 PM
I was at Walmart today and I was looking at a book called "Say It's So: The Chicago White Sox's Magical Season". It's written by Phil Rogers. Anyone have any idea if it's any good/worth getting?

voodoochile
06-10-2006, 03:09 PM
I was at Walmart today and I was looking at a book called "Say It's So: The Chicago White Sox's Magical Season". It's written by Phil Rogers. Anyone have any idea if it's any good/worth getting?
Definitely. A good read all the way around. In fact, WSI helped set up a book signing for it at Lizzie McGwire's bar right before the season started.

Edit: Use the forum search feature for the title of this thread and you will find lots of information on the book.

MarySwiss
06-10-2006, 03:11 PM
Bought it, read it, liked it by and large. Would have been nice if they had had it proofread, of course; there were plenty of typos and such.

fquaye149
06-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Bought it, read it, liked it by and large. Would have been nice if they had had it proofread, of course; there were plenty of typos and such.

I noticed that too. But it was basically a recap of the whole season. Definitely something worth reliving and generally a rich, flavorful description of the best season in memory.

MarySwiss
06-10-2006, 03:26 PM
I noticed that too. But it was basically a recap of the whole season. Definitely something worth reliving and generally a rich, flavorful description of the best season in memory.
Oh, yeah. I paid full price for it--about $25--and I thought it was well worth it. No doubt I'll read it over and over.

slobes
06-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Great, thanks. I'll be sure to buy it today then.

TDog
06-10-2006, 05:29 PM

I always read books with a pencil and circle the spelling and grammatical errors.

MarySwiss
06-10-2006, 05:40 PM
I always read books with a pencil and circle the spelling and grammatical errors.

Sarcasm noted. Then again, you (obviously) don't work in publishing or a related field. Those of us who do--as well as many people who don't--don't HAVE to look for errors; they leap off the page at us.

I work in publishing, and I cringe when I see a substandard product. (Thus, I completely agree with Kittle42's crusade against misused apostrophes, although I usually don't correct anything unless I'm paid to do so.)

But if you're okay with buying something that is flawed, goody for you. Knock yourself out! :cool:

fquaye149
06-10-2006, 05:42 PM

It was ridiculous in this book though. They had a two paragraph segment and immediately afterward there was the same two paragraphs... I was like...what?...but once I figured out what was going on it was no big deal. It's a good book and worth buying, bad proofreading aside.

MarySwiss
06-10-2006, 05:48 PM
It was ridiculous in this book though. They had a two paragraph segment and immediately afterward there was the same two paragraphs... I was like...what?...but once I figured out what was going on it was no big deal. It's a good book and worth buying, bad proofreading aside.

Yep. I'm not sure, and I don't care enough to pull up the old thread, but IIRC, Phil said the errors would be corrected in future printings. This is typical in publishing, unless the error is egregious.

One example of an egregious error might be if a Chicago newspaper printed a headline that read, "Cubs Win 2005 World Series!!!!!!!!!!!"

TDog
06-10-2006, 05:55 PM
Sarcasm noted. Then again, you (obviously) don't work in publishing or a related field. Those of us who do--as well as many people who don't--don't HAVE to look for errors; they leap off the page at us.

I work in publishing, and I cringe when I see a substandard product. (Thus, I completely agree with Kittle42's crusade against misused apostrophes, although I usually don't correct anything unless I'm paid to do so.)

But if you're okay with buying something that is flawed, goody for you. Knock yourself out! :cool:

There was no sarcasm. I was serious.

I never read a book where I don't find mistakes, and I read a lot of books. Every day, there are about 200 mistakes in the Chicago Tribune. That's why mistakes are easy to find. Before the Tribune aggressively addressed the problem, there were 400 mistakes.

Newspapers, though, are working on tighter deadlines. It bothers me more in books. "Say It's So" can't be any worse typographically than "Strength Down the Middle" about the 1959 White Sox.

MarySwiss
06-10-2006, 06:05 PM
There was no sarcasm. I was serious.

I never read a book where I don't find mistakes, and I read a lot of books. Every day, there are about 200 mistakes in the Chicago Tribune. That's why mistakes are easy to find. Before the Tribune aggressively addressed the problem, there were 400 mistakes.

Newspapers, though, are working on tighter deadlines. It bothers me more in books. "Say It Ain't So" can't be any worse typographically than "Strength Down the Middle" about the 1959 White Sox.

Okay. Fair enough. My apologies then.

And I agree with you on two counts: I've never read a book in which I didn't find a mistake, and errors bother me more in books than in newspapers because of the tighter deadlines.

That said, the errors in "Say It's So" were numerous. And--as a publishing professional with more than 25 years' experience--I'd suspect that they were largely printers' errors, which a good proofreader will normally catch in final pages. Therefore, my best guess would be that either this book was not proofread in final pages, or it was not proofread by a good proofreader.

It's still a very good read. It just that my my professional pride is tweaked when catchable errors are not caught.

TDog
06-10-2006, 06:13 PM
... Therefore, my best guess would be that either this book was not proofread in final pages, or it was not proofread by a good proofreader. ....

Maybe in the enthusiasm to capitalize on the expectedly brief hysteria over the White Sox, the people who put it together rushed it out too quickly.

RadioheadRocks
06-10-2006, 07:36 PM
I think the lack of proofreading is definitely a sign of the rush to get the book on the market. One pretty big factual error I noticed was in the description of the 8th inning of Game 4 of the World Series. According to what's written, Willie Harris remained on second base when Carl Everett grounded out for the second out of the inning; however we all know that Harris actually advanced to third before eventually scoring on Jermaine Dye's clutch (and eventual World Series clinching) hit.

Brian26
06-10-2006, 10:49 PM
Definitely. A good read all the way around. In fact, WSI helped set up a book signing for it at Lizzie McGwire's bar right before the season started.

Edit: Use the forum search feature for the title of this thread and you will find lots of information on the book.

It's an excellent book. There are a couple of typos, but nothing that would detract you that much from enjoying it. My only small complaint on the book is that Phil goes off on a very strange tangent in the first or second chapter and starts talking about the history of the Cubs in the early 80's when the Tribune Corporation took over for the Wrigleys. He goes into way too much detail about Dallas Green and the entire regime over there. Then, all of a sudden he sort of pinched himself and realized he was writing a Sox book and got back on track. It's a good read.

Baby Fisk
06-12-2006, 09:56 AM
It's an excellent book. There are a couple of typos, but nothing that would detract you that much from enjoying it. My only small complaint on the book is that Phil goes off on a very strange tangent in the first or second chapter and starts talking about the history of the Cubs in the early 80's when the Tribune Corporation took over for the Wrigleys. He goes into way too much detail about Dallas Green and the entire regime over there. Then, all of a sudden he sort of pinched himself and realized he was writing a Sox book and got back on track. It's a good read.
That first chapter really marred it. I put the book down and haven't read any more of it.

Lip Man 1
06-12-2006, 02:02 PM
Then you're missing a lot.

Lip

SOX ADDICT '73
06-13-2006, 06:40 PM
That first chapter really marred it. I put the book down and haven't read any more of it.
I nearly did too. I was stunned to read so much about the Cubs in the first chapter of a book that is supposed to be about the 2005 White Sox. Granted, it is mostly derogatory stuff, pointing out the ineptitude of Cubs ownership throughout their history, but I really couldn't care less about that.

I think Phil, who as a Tribune writer may have been accused of having a Cubs bias, was going too far out of his way to prove otherwise. "Hey Sox fans, look! I can talk smack about the Northsiders! That qualifies me to write a book celebrating the Sox, right?"

The rest of the book, despite the aforementioned NUMEROUS spelling, grammar, and factual errors, is a terrific read, with lots of great behind-the-scenes information. Give it a second chance, Baby Fisk, and you won't be disappointed.

1951Campbell
06-13-2006, 06:42 PM

Hey, Kittle42, stop posting under TDog's account.

chisoxfanatic
06-13-2006, 08:05 PM
I'm roughly halfway into the book, and so far, it's been awesome! I'd imagine it only gets better, as the "good stuff" is at the end! Phil does a great job writing it for his intended audience. I purchased it at the Lizzie McGuire's book signing. I'd highly recommend anyone who hasn't gotten it yet to do so!

Brian26
06-13-2006, 10:07 PM
I purchased it at the Lizzie McGuire's book signing.

As did I...and I think we both got a good deal on it.