PDA

View Full Version : I hate FOX

Zisk77
06-10-2006, 12:48 PM
I live in Illinois (but in the St. Louis Area) so I'm set to watch the beloved play. But wait, I'm get the Effing Yankees against the A's as the other regional coverage. It doesn't matter that I have MLB extra innings or MLB live on the Computer becasue all games accept yankees A's are blacked out.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: At least the Big Hurt hit a 2 run tater :D: .

Edward
06-10-2006, 01:19 PM
Did you at least enjoy Frank's 2 run homer a little bit ago? :D: They had a gamebreak for it during the SOX game.

BLRMKRdave
06-10-2006, 01:40 PM
This is even worse. I live in the Detroit suburbs and for some reason were slated to have the Texas-Boston game.....Why? Anyways it is a rain delay and they decide to show the Oakland - Yanks game. Last time I checked Detroit was between Chicago and Cleveland and they also play in the same division. WHY IS THE SOX GAME NOT ON IN DETROIT?!?!?!?!?

~BLRMKRdave

voodoochile
06-10-2006, 01:46 PM
This is even worse. I live in the Detroit suburbs and for some reason were slated to have the Texas-Boston game.....Why? Anyways it is a rain delay and they decide to show the Oakland - Yanks game. Last time I checked Detroit was between Chicago and Cleveland and they also play in the same division. WHY IS THE SOX GAME NOT ON IN DETROIT?!?!?!?!?

~BLRMKRdave

Even weirder - why not wait until 4 and broadcast the Kittens game live. Heck it's against Toronto too boot which last time I checked isn't THAT far from Detroit.

MarySwiss
06-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Even weirder - why not wait until 4 and broadcast the Kittens game live. Heck it's against Toronto too boot which last time I checked isn't THAT far from Detroit.
Another thing--and I think you alluded to this in the game thread, Voodoo--what possible sense does it make to have ANY of the games blacked out in sports bars? The one I go to in Tempe couldn't get the game, so instead they're showing horse racing (they're also an OTB) and golf, NOT the stupid Braves-Astros game.

I sometimes think Arizona thinks it's really Texas. This same crap happens during NFL season; every damn week it seems like the stinking Cowboys are on, and never the Bears. :angry: :angry:

voodoochile
06-10-2006, 02:01 PM
Another thing--and I think you alluded to this in the game thread, Voodoo--what possible sense does it make to have ANY of the games blacked out in sports bars? The one I go to in Tempe couldn't get the game, so instead they're showing horse racing (they're also an OTB) and golf, NOT the stupid Braves-Astros game.

I sometimes think Arizona thinks it's really Texas. This same crap happens during NFL season; every damn week it seems like the stinking Cowboys are on, and never the Bears. :angry: :angry:

It's got to do with perceptions about national interest. Which of cuorse begs the question, how does a team develop a national following if they never get broadcast nationally? :dunno:

MrRoboto83
06-10-2006, 02:05 PM
The whole system is ****ed!!

MISoxfan
06-10-2006, 02:29 PM
Here in California they aired Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Fox instead of a baseball game.

Skates
06-10-2006, 02:32 PM
I got shafted too, I'm interning in Albuquerque, NM and they are showing the damn Yanks! And to make it worse, I try logging into MLB.tv and it's blacked out, I can't wait to get back to the Chicago area!

RowanDye
06-10-2006, 02:35 PM
Here in California they aired Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles on Fox instead of a baseball game.

I'll take that over Red Sox/Rangers. :tongue:

They just need to stop this blackout crap on MLB.tv, Extra Innings. Why would MLB want to prevent fans from watching their team play?

Huisj
06-10-2006, 02:37 PM

~BLRMKRdave

They strategically picked the Yankees-A's game because just about every city in the country is somewhere in between those two cities, so it's a local game everywhere!

Seriously, I hate Fox too.

Edward
06-10-2006, 02:40 PM
I'll take that over Red Sox/Rangers. :tongue:

They just need to stop this blackout crap on MLB.tv, Extra Innings. Why would MLB want to prevent fans from watching their team play?

It's FOX that has the contract to prevent you from watching your team play. It is MLB's fault for giving them that contract however. It's all about the Benjamin's.

Tigerslover
06-10-2006, 02:46 PM
This all needs to change when Selig is gone. All these problems can be placed squarely on Selig IMO. From the strike, to the steroids, to the All Star game fiasco, all under Selig's watch.

Also I think I may be able to explain why the Yankees/A's game is on FOX now for everyone basically. I noticed about midway through they had Danny Devito in the booth to promote his new show. I bet that's why everyone is getting this game, so his show can be promoted across the country.

MarySwiss
06-10-2006, 02:46 PM
For any of you who are not following the game somehow, so far it's probably not a bad thing we couldn't see it. :angry:

Never mind: just tied it.

Edward
06-10-2006, 03:08 PM
Also I think I may be able to explain why the Yankees/A's game is on FOX now for everyone basically. I noticed about midway through they had Danny Devito in the booth to promote his new show. I bet that's why everyone is getting this game, so his show can be promoted across the country.

Is his new show on FOX? Or FX? That would explain it.

RowanDye
06-10-2006, 03:37 PM
This all needs to change when Selig is gone. All these problems can be placed squarely on Selig IMO. From the strike, to the steroids, to the All Star game fiasco, all under Selig's watch.

It's the NEW YORK YANKEES, of course it's of national interest. No other explanation needed.

Tigerslover
06-10-2006, 03:58 PM
Is his new show on FOX? Or FX? That would explain it.

They're showing 1st season episodes on Fox for a few weeks. Then it's gonna be on FX.

CallMeNuts
06-10-2006, 05:34 PM
And the worst part about the Fox deal is:

The Sox would have rather scheduled the game at their normal 6:05PM Saturday night game with Fireworks afterward. They are forced to schedule the game for 12:20 to accommodate Fox. And they don't even get the majority of the national coverage. It's a lose / lose deal.

Chicken Dinner
06-10-2006, 11:42 PM
If FOX wants baseball on Saturdays, there should be one game that they can have. Why they blackout everything else and why MLB allows it blows my mind. And MLB thought HGH was a problem. The FOX problem is just as big.

lumpyspun
06-10-2006, 11:48 PM
I email FOX about this BS at least 5 times a season. I'm up to two emails about it this season. Nothing changes and it probably never will, but we can try.

RadioheadRocks
06-10-2006, 11:53 PM
Ahhhhh, for the good old days of the Saturday afternoon Game of the Week on NBC... <sigh>

Kogs35
06-11-2006, 12:01 AM
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6340707.html?title=Article&spacedesc=news

Half Cocked Jack
06-11-2006, 12:14 AM
http://www.broadcastingcable.com/article/CA6340707.html?title=Article&spacedesc=news That would improve things.

chisoxfanatic
06-11-2006, 12:33 AM
It doesn't matter that I have MLB extra innings or MLB live on the Computer becasue all games accept yankees A's are blacked out.

Well, you'll just have to ACCEPT that, EXCEPT it may be hard!!! :D:

PKalltheway
06-11-2006, 12:57 AM
We definitely got the Indians/Sox game here in Cincy!:bandance:

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2006, 01:43 AM
Same crap here in Minnesota. They are just like ESPN, believing that the whole damn country is hanging on every moment of the Yanks and the Sawx. So the Sawx game was supposed to be on, it gets rained out, and they give us the Yanks. Because, of course, no one in Minnesota would be interested in a game between two central division teams when they could watch either the Sawx or the Yanks.

TDog
06-11-2006, 04:49 AM
Ahhhhh, for the good old days of the Saturday afternoon Game of the Week on NBC... <sigh>

When I was living in pre-Diamondbacks Arizona, NBC's game of the week always involved the Dodgers, at least in my region.

Grzegorz
06-11-2006, 05:15 AM
The NBC 'Game of the Week' was exponentially better than this dumbed-down horse manure Fox is peddling. Promotion is all about the viscereal; this is no longer your father's game we're talking about.

Back to GOTW, give me Kubek/Costas & Garagiola/Scully any day of the week over the stiffs (the 'regulars') Fox trots out.

Thome25
06-11-2006, 07:37 AM
I can't stand fox either. I get two FOX stations where I live one is for Philadelphia and one is for Baltimore because I live between the two cities.

BOTH were showing the SAME game: Yankmees VS A's. You would think that in Philly they might show White Sox/Indians because a certain JIM THOME played for the Phillies and there might be some interest in that market.

Besides, I could understand showing the yankees in Baltimore because that is a division rival but, Philadelphia? Philadelphia is an NL city so why show Yankmees?!

Sounds like it's time for a new program director on FOX.

Frontman
06-11-2006, 07:45 AM

That is such BS. I was getting annoyed listening to our Sox on the radio hearing Farmer mentioning the rain delay as much as he did. Don't buy into the hype, Farmio! We all don't need to know what the Yanks are doing. (Ok, besides Jeter, he's on my fantasy team. lol.)

I really hate when sports have to promote regular programming. Its probably the major beef I have with the Superbowl. Not the commercials, but the flagrant shilling of whatever show is premiering right after the game.

;)

Front

nebraskasox
06-11-2006, 10:54 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to get the Sox game in Omaha. I assumed it would be the Yanks when I saw their game was one of the candidates.

Fox was a bit premature in awarding the player of the game to Martinez after his homer in the top of the 11th. He did have a very good game and still may have deserved it but they could have at least waited until the game was over to make a decision.

Not that it matters - since we won - but it was another annoying Fox move.

PS - when Ozuna scored the winning run I thought of Joe Buck's call on Fox in game 2 of the ALCS when Crede doubled off the wall to win the game. The disappointment in his voice was so obvious it was comical, "Ozuna scores ... the White Sox have won." Priceless.

digdagdug23
06-11-2006, 11:03 AM
I was pleasantly surprised to get the Sox game in Omaha. I assumed it would be the Yanks when I saw their game was one of the candidates.

Fox was a bit premature in awarding the player of the game to Martinez after his homer in the top of the 11th. He did have a very good game and still may have deserved it but they could have at least waited until the game was over to make a decision.

PS - when Ozuna scored the winning run I thought of Joe Buck's call on Fox in game 2 of the ALCS when Crede doubled off the wall to win the game. The disappointment in his voice was so obvious it was comical, "Ozuna scores ... the White Sox have won." Priceless.

Oh yeah, Buck and his biases are definitely heard. Not so much in love for the Indians, but more for his loathing of the Sox. He was practically foaming at the mouth when the HP ump called Mack out (I know this because as I watched the play, and listened to the radio, I hit replay on my TV and mute comes off) he made some stupid comment about Pablo celebrating when he shouldn;t have been celebrating, something to the effect of "You don't raise your hands in celebration unless you hit the ball over the wall", putz. So I watched as Gooch got down in the count, 1-2, and Buck again had all but counted him out, and then WHAMMO!!!! The sheer despair in his voice was almost palpable. Have I mentioned how much I hate Buck, and you can also throw in there Pinella the Pinhead?

Thome25
06-11-2006, 11:19 AM

I'm not doubting the observations about Buck because I agree with them but, does anyone know the reason why he dislikes the White Sox so much?

I mean he is a Cardinals announcer right? So all of his venom should be aimed squarely at the flubs. He shouldn't have a beef with the White Sox AT ALL.

Unless of course he isn't a fan of fun to watch, fundamentally sound baseball played by a bunch of guys who obviously love and respect the game.

TornLabrum
06-11-2006, 11:22 AM
Oh yeah, Buck and his biases are definitely heard. Not so much in love for the Indians, but more for his loathing of the Sox. He was practically foaming at the mouth when the HP ump called Mack out (I know this because as I watched the play, and listened to the radio, I hit replay on my TV and mute comes off) he made some stupid comment about Pablo celebrating when he shouldn;t have been celebrating, something to the effect of "You don't raise your hands in celebration unless you hit the ball over the wall", putz. So I watched as Gooch got down in the count, 1-2, and Buck again had all but counted him out, and then WHAMMO!!!! The sheer despair in his voice was almost palpable. Have I mentioned how much I hate Buck, and you can also throw in there Pinella the Pinhead?

Only problem was, Joe Buck didn't do yesterday's game.

peeonwrigley
06-11-2006, 11:29 AM
Unless of course he isn't a fan of fun to watch, fundamentally sound baseball played by a bunch of guys who obviously love and respect the game.

Joe Buck loves
http://cache.boston.com/images/bostondirtdogs//Headline_Archives/MM_MaY_2.15.jpg

Mercy!
06-11-2006, 12:05 PM
Maybe they're remembering the reverential Joe/Jack Buck "Who would you have a beer with?" commercial. Here's to beer!

wolcott10
06-11-2006, 12:26 PM
Kenny Albert, the son of Marv Albert, did yesterday's Sox game.

digdagdug23
06-11-2006, 12:49 PM

Really, I could have sworn it was his voice when I turned the game on, and I immediately muted, so I assumed wrong.

Apologies.

But it still doesn't change the fact that I despise Buck. :cool:

Railsplitter
06-11-2006, 02:23 PM

You can't blame Selig for getting so caught up the everybody plays mentality that managers had in the All-Star Game.

StockdaleForVeep
06-11-2006, 02:34 PM
I live in Illinois (but in the St. Louis Area) so I'm set to watch the beloved play. But wait, I'm get the Effing Yankees against the A's as the other regional coverage. It doesn't matter that I have MLB extra innings or MLB live on the Computer becasue all games accept yankees A's are blacked out.:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: At least the Big Hurt hit a 2 run tater :D: .

Yeah, charter cable is horrid down there

RadioheadRocks
06-11-2006, 06:37 PM

So I guess that is dillweed's feeble way of justifying Victor Martinez doing a "Sosa leap" when he hit his home run??? :angry: Prick.

Tigerslover
06-11-2006, 06:57 PM
You can't blame Selig for getting so caught up the everybody plays mentality that managers had in the All-Star Game.

To me that's how it should be. What's the point of getting picked to a team if you can't play?

ondafarm
06-12-2006, 12:17 AM
My mom saw this thread and thought it was about Nellie Fox.

I hope we can all agree it's not.

Viva Medias B's
06-12-2006, 07:20 AM
At each Fox station, who decides which game is carried? Is it the network or the local station manager?

CHEESESOXER
06-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Joe suck Fux.

And, if you think they're bad, try posting a truthful thread about the eastern seaboard prefential nasties.

This WAS a thread about how they are deadsox/yankoff worshippers.
check out what they did to the thread:

http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?threadID=3792565 (http://forums.espn.go.com/espn/thread?threadID=3792565)

Interesting, huh?:angry:

miker
06-12-2006, 10:24 AM
It's got to do with perceptions about national interest. Which of cuorse begs the question, how does a team develop a national following if they never get broadcast nationally? :dunno:
Buy your own TV station!

AZChiSoxFan
06-12-2006, 12:22 PM
The NBC 'Game of the Week' was exponentially better than this dumbed-down horse manure Fox is peddling. Promotion is all about the viscereal; this is no longer your father's game we're talking about.

Back to GOTW, give me Kubek/Costas & Garagiola/Scully any day of the week over the stiffs (the 'regulars') Fox trots out.

Maybe Gargiola was good back in the day, but trust me, you don't want him now. Think Chris Singleton, only much much worse.

He occasionally fills in to (try and) do analysis on D-backs games and he's just plain awful. I always mute the games he does.

Mercy!
06-12-2006, 03:36 PM
:violin:How about the names of a couple of living announcers that would cause a rash of threads to break out with titles like "I Love ..........." or "Props, they sure called a good game"

I've always liked Bob Costas and his respect for the history of the game, although I recognize that his ability to speak in complete sentences seems to put some people off.