PDA

View Full Version : One fine day

Ol' No. 2
06-10-2006, 01:17 PM
A good Tribune article (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-0606100251jun10,1,2144295.story) (for a change) by Maureen Hart discussing a trip to USCF.
On at least 27 spring and summer days, my fine day is spent in and around U.S. Cellular Field, home of the World Champion Chicago White Sox. I take not a small amount of pleasure in writing this for the Chicago Tribune, corporate sibling of the other baseball team in town. That team is supposed to have the fun market cornered, but if fun is defined as something other than "get hammered in one of 100 bars," I'd say my day has a fair share of amusements, diversions and, especially, Major League Baseball.

tebman
06-10-2006, 02:34 PM
Nice piece. Contrary to what George Knue thinks, I never believed that the Tribune "corporatized" its articles regarding the Cubs and the Sox. I do think, though, that the editors try to minimize boat-rocking by avoiding embarrassing subjects like the Cubs' ticket-scalping office and the fact that a major steroid suspect was on the Cubs' payroll for years. Just today or yesterday, in fact, was an actual editorial in the Tribune tut-tutting about Jason Grimsley. No mention of Sosa.

Note, however, that this essay appeared on a Saturday, which is the day of absolute lowest readership for the paper. I hope the writer got paid in full. :tongue:

voodoochile
06-10-2006, 02:49 PM
Note, however, that this essay appeared on a Saturday, which is the day of absolute lowest readership for the paper. I hope the writer got paid in full. :tongue:

That is a great point and interesting too boot. They finally put up a nice article on USCF and the whole experience (ample parking, Grandstand, hackysack and tailgates, etc.) and they then print it in the Saturday version.

No bias here, right Cubune?

daveeym
06-11-2006, 11:19 AM
Had 3 people sitting next to me yesterday that bought tickets off Stub Hub and were from Pittsburgh. Said to me, "Main thing I wanted to do while visiting Chicago was to see a Sox game." You can only polish that turd stadium and team up north for so long. Times they are a changing.

Vernam
06-11-2006, 12:20 PM
That is a great point and interesting too boot. They finally put up a nice article on USCF and the whole experience (ample parking, Grandstand, hackysack and tailgates, etc.) and they then print it in the Saturday version.And without a single photo accompanying it in the print version.

I liked the writer's whole tone, like she was biting the hand that feeds her. :thumbsup:

Vernam

miker
06-12-2006, 11:06 AM
That was a nice article, but I feel Maureen's employer may be sending her to "re-education" camp...

Frater Perdurabo
06-12-2006, 12:23 PM
That was a nice article, but I feel Maureen's employer may be sending her to "re-education" camp...

:knue

Maureen, we feel you'd be better off pursuing non-sports stories. The features editor tells me she needs a story on giant snails. Interested?

SOXPHILE
06-12-2006, 12:28 PM
It was a nice story. Kind of odd though that in the same paper, same day, different section, in the re-cap of friday's Sox win, Dave VanDyke felt that the two runs Konerko drove in were "tainted", because the infielder bobbled the hard shot Konerko hit to him. :rolleyes:

cws05champ
06-12-2006, 11:35 PM
I'm sure Hendry and Mc"Fail" will be in her cubicle ready to give her a beat down...