According to WSCR KW has talk to Washington about Soriano

Where would Soriano play on the Sox.. I dont see a position for him

HomeFish
06-10-2006, 10:22 AM
???

Are we getting rid of Podsednik, then?

Whitesox4ever
06-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Also in the report KW has also talk to Milwaukee and K.C..

Chips
06-10-2006, 10:38 AM
Also in the report KW has also talk to Milwaukee and K.C..

Are we getting C. Lee and Tony Graffanino back?

Whitesox4ever
06-10-2006, 10:39 AM
Are we getting C. Lee and Tony Graffanino back?

Dejesus from K.C would be a nice pickup for the Sox

PushnThaEscalade
06-10-2006, 10:45 AM
Kenny's doing his job. Whether or not he gets the players he wants is another story. and btw, where's Otis when you need him?

0o0o0
06-10-2006, 10:52 AM

Where would Soriano play on the Sox.. I dont see a position for him
Yeah, how does this help the center field problem? Pods in center is not a comforting thought, nevermind Soriano in left.
Jesus, that lineup would be insane though.

hawkjt
06-10-2006, 10:54 AM
awkward radio moment this am on White Sox Weekly- Offman was talking to Ranger about trading for centerfielders and possiblities when/if BA is sent down- then ranger broke in and said they had BA on the other line at that moment.

BA did not refer to it, he acknowledged the obvious offensive woes, and talked about how supportive the fans and sox mgt have been. Way to take the high road , BA.

Offman is a cub loving Frank Thomas hating jerk.

TheOldRoman
06-10-2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah, how does this help the center field problem? Pods in center is not a comforting thought, nevermind Soriano in left.
Jesus, that lineup would be insane though.
Soriano has made some really bad plays in LF (think... Ozuna). And that is what happens when you put an infielder in the outfield.
However, from what I have seen of him he is rapidly improving. He is a great athlete, and I think he will eventually be fine in the outfield. I have heard from some people that he is actually better suited for CF, but who knows.

As for him on this team, no thanks. He is a primadonna, and we dont need him.

caulfield12
06-10-2006, 11:30 AM
What next, Konerko in LF with Thome at 1B?

I don't see how trading Pods and minor leaguers would help our team...the problem is not offense, it's defense and pitching. We would be evolving more and more away from our pitching, defense, speed and fundamentals blueprint.

Theoretically, Soriano could get about the same number of steals as Pods, but I don't see how we can get Soriano without giving up Fields or McCarthy.

It would be a tremendous offensive line-up, but it would be way too home run and not enough small ball oriented. The Yankees don't want to trade for him....or don't want to give up what it would take to get him. There's a reason the guy keeps moving all over MLB. I don't see him as OG type of player.

DeJesus, Clark or Torii Hunter would be better additions that Soriano, who makes $10 million...although I would be surprised if we could pry one of KC's cheaper and better younger players away from a new GM. The Royals learned their lesson when they dealt Damon and Dye five years ago, I would hope.

But DeJesus is a younger player whose rights we would control for at least 3 more years. This move also locks out BA out a White Sox future in 2007. And the Royals are going to want a ton in return, as they are in no hurry to make a deal, being able to pick and choose with this year already gone for them.

Ol' No. 2
06-10-2006, 11:53 AM

Where would Soriano play on the Sox.. I dont see a position for himAre you sure you've got the right Soriano?

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=sea&playerID=400089

caulfield12
06-10-2006, 11:54 AM
I am assuming, like you, that it SHOULD be about Mateo, Soriano (Rafael) or Putz (least likely, with Thornton and Cotts).

Chisox003
06-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Are you sure you've got the right Soriano?

http://seattle.mariners.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats/individual_stats_player.jsp?c_id=sea&playerID=400089
Good call ON2.

Im surprised this thread isnt at about 500 responses on Alfonso by now :rolleyes:

Rafeal would be .... awesome

caulfield12
06-10-2006, 12:08 PM
The biggest problem with Soriano is his injury history.

You can either look at it like all of his problems are in the past, or he's a ticking time bomb.

As he was once the M's top prospect and is still considered a potential starter, we are going to pay a high price to pry him loose.

We're probably going to end up with a Felix Hernandez or another struggling or released veteran reliever (see Nelson, Jeff).

DVsoxfan
06-10-2006, 12:38 PM
The biggest problem with Soriano is his injury history.

You can either look at it like all of his problems are in the past, or he's a ticking time bomb.

As he was once the M's top prospect and is still considered a potential starter, we are going to pay a high price to pry him loose.

We're probably going to end up with a Felix Hernandez or another struggling or released veteran reliever (see Nelson, Jeff).

I'd love to have Felix...no way on earth they trade him though

caulfield12
06-10-2006, 12:46 PM
Whhooops, I meant Felix Rodriguez....

We would have to trade Charlotte and Birmingham to get Felix Hernandez.

Chisox003
06-10-2006, 12:48 PM
I'd love to have Felix...no way on earth they trade him though He's saying that Soriano can be a stud or a bust, not that we're going to trade for Felix.
Edit: (or that's not what he meant...)

Rafael is 26 and has awesome stuff, so the price would be steep, but his injury history is a little scary.

Maybe KW could swing Gload, Politte and Jeff Nelson for him?

I hate WTS speculation, I'll leave the GM work up to K-dub.

caulfield12
06-10-2006, 12:53 PM
OFF TOPIC

Looks like Alford is finally turning the corner with his recruiting...if they all actually show up on campus and are eligible.

I can't believe they're paying Kirk Ferentz almost $3 million, but he is arguably the best coach in college FB. See where B. Bowlsby dealt his $1 million plus house.

oeo
06-10-2006, 01:02 PM
Soriano has made some really bad plays in LF (think... Ozuna). And that is what happens when you put an infielder in the outfield.
However, from what I have seen of him he is rapidly improving. He is a great athlete, and I think he will eventually be fine in the outfield. I have heard from some people that he is actually better suited for CF, but who knows.

Well, if you're out there everyday, of course you will get better. Just look to Casey Blake and how much he's improved since moving from third base.

I still wouldn't like an outfield of Soriano, Pods, and Dye, though. That's some bad defense.

TheOldRoman
06-10-2006, 01:31 PM
Well, if you're out there everyday, of course you will get better. Just look to Casey Blake and how much he's improved since moving from third base.

I still wouldn't like an outfield of Soriano, Pods, and Dye, though. That's some bad defense.
Yeah, because Dye is horrible in the outfield.:rolleyes:

Vernam
06-10-2006, 01:52 PM

Good call. Mods change thread title to "Sox interested in a Soriano" instead of "A"?

Bullpen definitely needs help, but I wouldn't mind waiting to see what Tracey can do -- Montero, too, for that matter -- before we hand over a bunch of prospects that we might need to trade for outfield help.

Vernam

getonbckthr
06-10-2006, 04:11 PM
If Soriano had made the switch to the OF like 3 seasons ago then I would consider it cause he would be so much better as he is improving every day. However the fact that he is having a monster year, will demand a big contract, and is still questionable (*at the moment) in the outfield I say pass.

Whitesox4ever
06-10-2006, 06:57 PM

yes George Offman of WSCR was talking about A Soriano being talked about coming to the Sox... IMO I just don't see it happening..

Ol' No. 2
06-10-2006, 07:33 PM
yes George Offman of WSCR was talking about A Soriano being talked about coming to the Sox... IMO I just don't see it happening..Oh, well...THAT explains it.:rolleyes:

oeo
06-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Yeah, because Dye is horrible in the outfield.:rolleyes:
Well, I should have kept Dye out of that, that wasn't what I was implying. Just that overall, that's a bad defensive outfield, with Soriano and Pods taking the whole left side...not that Dye is bad.

rowand33
06-10-2006, 08:31 PM
Well, I should have kept Dye out of that, that wasn't what I was implying. Just that overall, that's a bad defensive outfield, with Soriano and Pods taking the whole left side...not that Dye is bad.

You were completely right man. I think that an outfield of Soriano, Pods, and Dye might be one of the worst defensive outfields to have a gold glover in it.

HebrewHammer
06-10-2006, 08:44 PM
yes George Offman of WSCR was talking about A Soriano being talked about coming to the Sox... IMO I just don't see it happening..

:hawk
"Where's he gonna play?"

Seriously, where? Only way I see it happening if it's part of a 3 way deal of some sort.

Brian26
06-10-2006, 09:03 PM
Offman is a cub loving Frank Thomas hating jerk.

Ofman's the guy who had an orgasm on the air when the Cubs acquired Nomar in '04. To this day, I remember his EXACT quote, "This surely guarantees a World Series birth for the Cubs this year."

Last year, Offman showed up at Comerica for the Sox clincher. He sat down right in front of me in the 9th with another guy from the Score, and I confronted Ofman on the Garciaparra comment. He denied ever saying that. He was really sweating too. He squirmed in his chair like the scrubby-loving wuss that he is. He's spineless piece of garbage. If he's going to make completely biased, asinine comments like the Nomar comment, at least he could be a man and admit that he said it.

I'm not a particular fan of Levine, but he makes Ofman look like a clown.

Lip Man 1
06-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Isn't Posednik arbitration eligible or a free agent after this season?

If so that could explain the story.

Lip

munchman33
06-10-2006, 11:37 PM
IMHO

Soriano in left and Pods in center > Pods in left, Mackowiak in center

Yes, both sides of the ball.

And both could be gone next year, so BA fans don't have to fear.

miker
06-12-2006, 09:43 AM

Actually Soriano makes Ozuna look like Jim Landis. Sitting in the dugout and pouting when he was moved the LF doesn't help his stock either. I would stay far, far away...

Tekijawa
06-12-2006, 09:57 AM
Why not trade Pods for A. Soriano? That's an offensive upgrade.. Washington Get's a "Name" lead off man who's essntially locked in for the next three years and they get rid of their current problem. Sox get a Nice lead off bat for the playoff push and wouldn't lose much in LF. The only Problem being is that your corner OF's would be FA's next year.

Jose.Contreras
06-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Why not trade Pods for A. Soriano? That's an offensive upgrade.. Washington Get's a "Name" lead off man who's essntially locked in for the next three years and they get rid of their current problem. Sox get a Nice lead off bat for the playoff push and wouldn't lose much in LF. The only Problem being is that your corner OF's would be FA's next year.

Keep dreaming. No way does Texas do this deal without getting a top prospect in addition to Podsednik. I don't think this necessarily helps us either. The Sox are FINE on offense. Our offense is good enough to win the world series. We're top 5 in baseball IMHO (even with the horrendous 8-9 combo). We need bullpen help. And our starters have to be better than they have thus far. Buerhle, Vasquez, and Contreras.......I have no worries about them. But Garcia and Graland.....they scare me every time out there. Last night Freddy Garcia was pitiful in every way. We need our starters to reeat. Foreget about Soriano. Without the pitching we were getting last year, we are dead. Bullpen and starters are down from last year. There is still time turn it around, however. Cross my fingers.

Tekijawa
06-12-2006, 12:04 PM
Keep dreaming. No way does Texas do this deal without getting a top prospect in addition to Podsednik. I don't think this necessarily helps us either. The Sox are FINE on offense. Our offense is good enough to win the world series. We're top 5 in baseball IMHO (even with the horrendous 8-9 combo). We need bullpen help. And our starters have to be better than they have thus far. Buerhle, Vasquez, and Contreras.......I have no worries about them. But Garcia and Graland.....they scare me every time out there. Last night Freddy Garcia was pitiful in every way. We need our starters to reeat. Foreget about Soriano. Without the pitching we were getting last year, we are dead. Bullpen and starters are down from last year. There is still time turn it around, however. Cross my fingers.

There are many reasons Texas wouldn't do this deal... Mostly beacuse Soriano plays for the Nationals... If the Naionals want more than a Starting Lead Off left handed bat locked up at Arbitration numbers for the next three years for a guy that they have problems with and Have no intention of signing next year, then they are morons.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Oh, well...THAT explains it.:rolleyes:

I'll take bad sports journalists for $600 Alex.

These two Chicago Sports Radio Journalists have less credibilty than Saddam's Minister of Propoganda pictured here:

:sahaf

Who are Bruce Levine and George Offman?

http://www.topiclink.com/gameshows/images/alextrebek.jpg

Correct

Jose.Contreras
06-12-2006, 01:46 PM
There are many reasons Texas wouldn't do this deal... Mostly beacuse Soriano plays for the Nationals... If the Naionals want more than a Starting Lead Off left handed bat locked up at Arbitration numbers for the next three years for a guy that they have problems with and Have no intention of signing next year, then they are morons.

You know what I meant. Texas, Washington, whatever. I wasn't paying attention to what I was typing. Whoops.:redface:

soxwon
06-12-2006, 05:42 PM
Kenny's doing his job. Whether or not he gets the players he wants is another story. and btw, where's Otis when you need him?

Were gettin AMOS OTIS from KC?
Cool i is one of my all time faves.