PDA

View Full Version : Sox All-Stars

Whitesox4ever
06-10-2006, 03:48 AM
How many Sox Players will be playing in the game. I think that 6 players will be pick for the game

AJ
Dye
Konerko
Iguchi
Jenks
Contreras

I would have picked Thome as well but dont think Ozzie will pick him and Konerko

IlliniSox4Life
06-10-2006, 04:00 AM
I think Thome has a better shot than Paulie. With the way that the MLB loves HRs, no way does the AL Home Run leader NOT make the All Star game.

DaleJRFan
06-10-2006, 04:04 AM
Dye is a sure thing but in all fairness, a strong case can be made for 6 of the 8 starting position players. Crede and Thome are the most likely from the offense. Contreras and Jenks should go as well.

I'm 100% convinced Ozzie should select CC Sabathia as the starter and make him throw all nine innings :D:

Georgey3085
06-10-2006, 07:28 AM
ozzie did say that if he won the world series that he'd take his players over anyone else. I believe him too. So don't be suprised to see the 1 tampa bay devil ray and 1 royal he HAS to take, then the rest white sox. I bet he'll even choose Bafia as his batboy :D:

Juice16
06-10-2006, 07:37 AM
With the fans ruining the All Star Game once again, Ozzie may have a hard time getting many White Sox players due to every team needing a rep. If the fans actually looked at stats and voted the starters who deserve to be out there, may be Ozzie has more of a chance.

nasox
06-10-2006, 08:14 AM
Thome's chances are hurt because he is a write in.

shes
06-10-2006, 10:13 AM
That Jermaine Dye, who's second in the AL in HRs and 1st in slugging and OPS--and has 46 RBIs--is 10th in the voting, right behind a mostly injured breakfast cereal, is enough to make me wonder whether implementing a random 3 question test on each ballot to gage a person's level of brain damage is actually the way to go.

I want Mags back
06-10-2006, 11:20 AM
for The Billionth Time, The Manager Can No Longer Pick Everyone He Wants, The Joe Torre Rule. The Reserves Are Picked By Polling The Players, I Think Selig Gets Some Authority, And Some Other Factors, I Cant Remember Though

Chips
06-10-2006, 11:29 AM
for The Billionth Time, The Manager Can No Longer Pick Everyone He Wants, The Joe Torre Rule. The Reserves Are Picked By Polling The Players, I Think Selig Gets Some Authority, And Some Other Factors, I Cant Remember Though

A little loud this morning?

sox1970
06-10-2006, 11:38 AM
To me, Thome, Dye, and Jenks are locks. With a few others playing the numbers game.

Juice16
06-10-2006, 11:50 AM
I just went though the stats of the AL. If players are chosen the right way, The White Sox all stars should be Konerko, Dye, Jenks and hopefully Thome. There are alot of guys having good years. Too bad some will sit home because the fans need an all Yankees and Red Sox team.

whitesoxfan
06-10-2006, 12:02 PM
I just went though the stats of the AL. If players are chosen the right way, The White Sox all stars should be Konerko, Dye, Jenks and hopefully Thome. There are alot of guys having good years. Too bad some will sit home because the fans need an all Yankees and Red Sox team.

Contreras is going to be tough to pass up as well.

zmz723
06-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I dont think jenks is in. relievers rarely make it and if a closer goes, it will be papelbon

Juice16
06-10-2006, 12:23 PM
I dont think jenks is in. relievers rarely make it and if a closer goes, it will be papelbon

They usally take 2-3 closers every year. I agree, Contreras should be in as well.

fquaye149
06-10-2006, 12:59 PM
don't count out AJ... Varitek and Martinez are pretty sure bets...but if it comes down to it, who knows. he is hitting .320 after all...

Domeshot17
06-10-2006, 01:20 PM
you guys better hope the playersvote in some of those guys then, because Ozzie wont have 8 roster spots to pick, odds are, he gets 4 or 5 tops. Now say the players vote in Thome or Konerko or Dye say 2 or 3 sox get voted in by the players, guys who I highly doubt make it: AJ, Jenks, Buehlre, Locks: Thome Paulie Dye contreras, Bubble: Crede Iguchi

the only one we know for sure is Ozuna is going to be ozzies pinch runner, ozzie said so himself :rolleyes:

GregoryEtc
06-10-2006, 06:36 PM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_All-Star_Game):

Each team consists of 32 players, selected in one of the following ways, listed in order:

Fan voting: Baseball fans vote on the starting position players for the All-Star Game, with ballots distributed at baseball games before mid-season and, more recently, on the Internet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet). When the game is played at an American League park, the designated hitter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter) for the AL team is also selected in this manner.
Player voting: As of 2005, pitchers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcher) and one back-up player for each position are elected by the other players. If the top vote-getter at a certain position is also being voted in via fan voting, then the second-place finisher in this category is chosen for the team.
Manager selection (first): The manager and the Commissioner's Office (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Commissioner) will fill the roster up to 31 players.
Final vote: After the lists of 31 players for each league is announced, fans will vote for one additional player, chosen from a list of 5 players provided by the manager and the Commissioner's Office.
Manager selection (second): After the final vote, the manager and the Commissioner's Office will replace players who are injured or declined to participate. Each major league team is guaranteed to have at least one player selected to participate, though single players from poor teams are occasionally not used (Detroit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Tigers)'s Dmitri Young (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Young), in 2003, was the last to be selected and not be put into the game by the manager).If this is accurate, here's what this means to us:

8 players will be voted in by fans. If the current voting holds up, only 3 teams in the AL will be represented as starters.

Players vote in all pitchers and 1 back up. Last year the AL had 12 pitchers on the roster. If they do that again this year, that will add up to 20 players voted in by the players. Add to that the 8 starters for a total of 28 players, leaving only 3... yes THREE roster spots available for Ozzie to select. If any teams are still not represented, he must use those spots to make sure every team is represented. He and the league also select who is on the Final fan vote and a White Sox will be on that ballot.

On the bright side, there are typically a couple players every year who opt out of the all star game. Ozzie will most likely be the one picking the alternates in case of injury or whatnot. Thats how Matt Clement made it in last year.

All in all, it's not looking good for us to have more than 2-3 representatives, not including Ozzie himself.

getonbckthr
06-10-2006, 07:18 PM
According to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_League_Baseball_All-Star_Game):

Each team consists of 32 players, selected in one of the following ways, listed in order:

Fan voting: Baseball fans vote on the starting position players for the All-Star Game, with ballots distributed at baseball games before mid-season and, more recently, on the Internet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet). When the game is played at an American League park, the designated hitter (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Designated_hitter) for the AL team is also selected in this manner.
Player voting: As of 2005, pitchers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitcher) and one back-up player for each position are elected by the other players. If the top vote-getter at a certain position is also being voted in via fan voting, then the second-place finisher in this category is chosen for the team.
Manager selection (first): The manager and the Commissioner's Office (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baseball_Commissioner) will fill the roster up to 31 players.
Final vote: After the lists of 31 players for each league is announced, fans will vote for one additional player, chosen from a list of 5 players provided by the manager and the Commissioner's Office.
Manager selection (second): After the final vote, the manager and the Commissioner's Office will replace players who are injured or declined to participate. Each major league team is guaranteed to have at least one player selected to participate, though single players from poor teams are occasionally not used (Detroit (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Detroit_Tigers)'s Dmitri Young (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dmitri_Young), in 2003, was the last to be selected and not be put into the game by the manager).If this is accurate, here's what this means to us:

8 players will be voted in by fans. If the current voting holds up, only 3 teams in the AL will be represented as starters.

Players vote in all pitchers and 1 back up. Last year the AL had 12 pitchers on the roster. If they do that again this year, that will add up to 20 players voted in by the players. Add to that the 8 starters for a total of 28 players, leaving only 3... yes THREE roster spots available for Ozzie to select. If any teams are still not represented, he must use those spots to make sure every team is represented. He and the league also select who is on the Final fan vote and a White Sox will be on that ballot.

On the bright side, there are typically a couple players every year who opt out of the all star game. Ozzie will most likely be the one picking the alternates in case of injury or whatnot. Thats how Matt Clement made it in last year.

All in all, it's not looking good for us to have more than 2-3 representatives, not including Ozzie himself.
Using that Information and making sure every team is represented this how I can see the all star teams going ( not what I would do) starters listed first (* ozzie picks):
C- Varitek, Rodriguez
1B- Ortiz, Giambi, *Thome.
2B- Cano, Loretta, *Grudzielanek
3B-Arod, Lowell
SS- Jeter, Tejada, *Young
OF-Vlad, Manny, Damon, Ichiro, *Dye, *Wells, *Sizemore
P- Halladay, Kazmir, Schilling, Mussina, Rogers, Buerhle, Contreras, Santana, Zito, Papelbon, Jenks, BJ Ryan
Vote in- Paulie, Hafner, Magglio, Mauer, Swisher

A. Cavatica
06-10-2006, 07:48 PM
Well, Papelbon will definitely go because the Red Sox must be represented.

Prospects look bleak for any Sox player being voted in by the fans, and the player vote isn't going to be a bonanza for us either. Maybe the Yankee and Red Sox team buses will collide a few days before the ASG and open up some slots. Otherwise, the 32nd player choices are all going to be White Sox.

GregoryEtc
06-10-2006, 07:57 PM
Using that Information and making sure every team is represented this how I can see the all star teams going ( not what I would do) starters listed first (* ozzie picks):
C- Varitek, Rodriguez
3B-Arod, Lowell
P- Halladay, Kazmir, Schilling, Mussina, Rogers, Buerhle, Contreras, Santana, Zito, Papelbon, Jenks, BJ Ryan

With so many Yankees and Red Sox being voted in by the fans, I would imagine that they'll lose out on the player vote. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I would imagine that the system is such that its not ALL the top player vote getters but rather just a fair representation of them...

i.e. If Giambi is the top player vote getter at first base, he may still not make the team if there are already other Yankees on the team, thus leaving the NEXT highest vote getter in line for the first base backup slot, like a Thome or Konerko. I would hope that the commissioner's office tries to make it as fair as possible.

Does that make sense? Does anyone have any idea if this is how it's done?

A. Cavatica
06-10-2006, 11:57 PM
With so many Yankees and Red Sox being voted in by the fans, I would imagine that they'll lose out on the player vote. I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I would imagine that the system is such that its not ALL the top player vote getters but rather just a fair representation of them...

The players watch ESPN too, and they're not immune to the hype. I think they'll have a hard time passing up Mussina and Schilling and Rivera. But I don't think the backup position players they choose will be from NY/BOS.

Here's how I see it playing out.

Fans choose:
C - Varitek
1B - Ortiz
2B - Cano
SS - Jeter
3B - Rodriguez
OF - Guerrero, Ramirez, Damon

Players then add:
C - Rodriguez [Mauer if they're smarter than I give them credit for]
1B - Konerko [I don't see the players voting for Giambi, but Konerko has to beat out Hafner, which could be tough]
2B - Polanco [there is no distinguished AL veteran, and nobody is having a breakout year; Iguchi deserves this but will come in behind Polanco, Loretta, maybe even Belliard]
SS - Tejada [lead pipe cinch]
3B - Chavez [if there is a Boston backlash, it hurts Lowell]
OF - Suzuki, Wells, Dye [in a squeaker]

Let's say Ozzie only wants 11 pitchers because it gives him an extra selection. (Do the players really get to pick ALL the pitchers? That can't be right.) Anyway, the players then add:
P - Santana, Halladay, Mussina, Schilling, Contreras, Rogers, Buehrle, Zito, Kazmir, Rivera, Papelbon. Let's hope the players don't go for Verlander over Buehrle.

At this point the following teams still need to be represented: Cleveland, KC, Texas. Texas (probably Young, maybe Matthews or Blalock) will cost one of the manager's selections. KC's Grudzielanek will cost another.

As for Cleveland, they've been ridiculously over-represented recently, which probably means Hafner and Sizemore will do well in the player vote. Doesn't matter; if they do, Ozzie will pick Konerko and Dye anyway.

So now we have:
C - Varitek, Rodriguez
1B - Ortiz, Konerko, Hafner
2B - Cano, Polanco, Grudzielanek
SS - Jeter, Tejada, Young
3B - Rodriguez, Chavez
OF - Guerrero, Ramirez, Damon, Suzuki, Wells, Dye, Sizemore
P - Santana, Halladay, Mussina, Schilling, Contreras, Rogers, Buehrle, Zito, Kazmir, Rivera, Papelbon

32nd player choices: Glaus, Matthews, Mauer, Rios, Thome

oeo
06-11-2006, 12:07 AM
That Jermaine Dye, who's second in the AL in HRs and 1st in slugging and OPS--and has 46 RBIs--is 10th in the voting, right behind a mostly injured breakfast cereal, is enough to make me wonder whether implementing a random 3 question test on each ballot to gage a person's level of brain damage is actually the way to go.
Unbelievable isn't it? All the while, Manny Ramirez and Johnny Damon are two of the leaders for starting spots. *****. I wish Ozzie could pick players, and he'd send the White Sox out as his starting lineup, with Contreras on the hill. :cool:

WhiteSox1983
06-11-2006, 01:38 AM
Dye, Contreras are really the only locks.

I give the rest of the players these chances...
Thome=65%
Buehrle=50%
Konerko=45%
Iguchi=30%
Jenks=25%
AJ=15%
Crede=10%

Its sad, cuz dye, contreras, thome, AJ, and Konerko all deserve to go (probly crede too).

We need to get rid of the fan voting online and in stadiums... and let the people that know about sports vote.

StatHead21
06-11-2006, 09:10 PM
Thome, Konerko, Dye, Contreras, Jenks.

AJ is having a good year but Mauer is great and Pudge/Varitek will get the fan vote.
Iguchi is having a nice year as well but again the fan vote will screw him.
Crede is having the best year of his career but he's not doing better than Lowell, A-rod, Chavez, or Glaus.

StatHead21
06-11-2006, 09:13 PM
C- Varitek, Rodriguez
3B-Arod, Lowell

Varitek and I-rod over Mauer makes me sick

A. Cavatica
06-11-2006, 10:16 PM
Thome, Konerko, Dye, Contreras, Jenks.

AJ is having a good year but Mauer is great and Pudge/Varitek will get the fan vote.
Iguchi is having a nice year as well but again the fan vote will screw him.
Crede is having the best year of his career but he's not doing better than Lowell, A-rod, Chavez, or Glaus.

The only way AJ, Iguchi, Jenks, and Crede will go is if Ozzie selects them as injury replacements.

The players sure as heck won't vote for AJ, and if there's a third catcher it's got to be Mauer, with the year he's having.

Jenks hasn't been around long enough to get voted in by the players, and they pick the pitchers. I'll be shocked if he makes it.

Iguchi has a slim chance of getting in through the player vote but no chance of being selected by Ozzie, since he'll have to take Grudzielanek as the token Royal.

SouthSoxFan
06-11-2006, 11:17 PM
We need to get rid of the fan voting online and in stadiums... and let the people that know about sports vote.
Varitek and I-rod over Mauer makes me sick
You're creating your own definition of the game. Remember, its not the "Best Players of the first half of 2006" game; its the All Star game. The fans only vote for 25% of the roster. But to earn the privelege to start, you have to achieve a level of recognition in the game that's very difficult to earn in 3 months. And you don't earn that recognition without performing at a high level for some period of your career (Jason Grimsely excepted).

Heck, the All-Star game has lost a lot of its appeal on TV over the years. At least by putting the fans' roster on the field some ratings points are maintained. Baseball's not going to change that. What they really need to do is get rid of the every team rule - the selections resulting from that process have been more egregious that the fans' "mistakes".

esbrechtel
06-12-2006, 05:38 PM
did anyone see that they spelled dye's name wrong on the allstar game AL update?
"8. Scott Podsednik, White Sox 268,599
9. Jermain Dye, White Sox 262,008"

Chicken Dinner
06-12-2006, 05:43 PM
With an extra day off after the break and a tough series with the Yanks right afterward, I hope that the least amout of White Sox get selected so they can get as much rest as they can.

StatHead21
06-12-2006, 06:13 PM
All star voting may be worse than the Gold Glove voting....

TDog
06-12-2006, 06:25 PM
Thome, and maybe Dye will be named as reserves. Contreras might be chosen as a pitch, but I would rather see him get the days off. It wouldn't upset me if it were just Thome for a pinch-hitter appearance.

One year Guillen was the lone White Sox player on the AL team. When he couldn't play due to injury, someone from another team was chosen to replace him. I'm sure Ozzie will be an entertaining manager.

the gooch
06-13-2006, 11:32 AM
Shouldnt ozzie make the 32nd man voting a choice between 5 sox players?
shouldnt ozzie pick an injured guy from the crap teams so that they cant play, giving him another pick?
i could see ozzie doing something here to make a stand.
in all honesty, i wont watch this game unless he does something crazy like that.

mcfish
06-13-2006, 01:01 PM
You're creating your own definition of the game. Remember, its not the "Best Players of the first half of 2006" game; its the All Star game. The fans only vote for 25% of the roster. But to earn the privelege to start, you have to achieve a level of recognition in the game that's very difficult to earn in 3 months. And you don't earn that recognition without performing at a high level for some period of your career (Jason Grimsely excepted).

Heck, the All-Star game has lost a lot of its appeal on TV over the years. At least by putting the fans' roster on the field some ratings points are maintained. Baseball's not going to change that. What they really need to do is get rid of the every team rule - the selections resulting from that process have been more egregious that the fans' "mistakes".I don't care whose definition of the game is being used, if the current MLB batting leader doesn't make the team as a reserve at least, then there is something horribly wrong.

MERPER
06-13-2006, 01:03 PM
I don't think Guch is in anymore..... he hasn't been playing too well of late...

AJ
Contreras
Jenks
Dye
Thome
Konerko

gr8mexico
06-13-2006, 02:54 PM
Come on guys keep voting many Sox players are moving up and they still haven't counted the votes from the ballpark. We should at least get Iguchi to start @ second. After 25 votes just make up an e-mail address it still takes your vote. http://whitesox.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060613&content_id=1502691&vkey=allstar2006&fext=.jsp

White Sox Randy
06-13-2006, 03:16 PM
How many Sox Players will be playing in the game. I think that 6 players will be pick for the game

AJ
Dye
Konerko
Iguchi
Jenks
Contreras

I would have picked Thome as well but dont think Ozzie will pick him and Konerko

Add them both ! We're gonna have 7 !

BV2005
06-13-2006, 03:47 PM
the latest polls have a white sox player in the top 5 of every position but outfeild. thats pretty good but there is a yankee and a red sox player ahead of them in every position.

chaerulez
06-13-2006, 04:02 PM
AJ
Dye
JC
Konerko
Burhele

I think Thome should make it, but there really is no place to put him without the DH spot this year.

BV2005
06-14-2006, 02:50 AM
Contreras, Burhlee, Konerko, Igughi, Crede, and Dye should all make the team

gf2020
06-14-2006, 03:13 AM
It's been said before (by me,) but please everyone vote for Igughi every chance you get. He's our only chance at a starter and I think it would be a cool thing if we could get someone in.

A. Cavatica
06-14-2006, 09:12 AM
Burhele

Burhlee

Who are these guys? :?:

0o0o0
06-14-2006, 10:24 AM
the latest polls have a white sox player in the top 5 of every position but outfeild. thats pretty good but there is a yankee and a red sox player ahead of them in every position.
Yeah, that's really weird/cool to see. :o::cool:

BTW, that code that you have to type in is really a pain in the ass.

Railsplitter
06-14-2006, 10:30 AM
There's nothing stopping you from going to mlb.com and voting 25 times.

russ99
06-14-2006, 10:54 AM
Papelbon is such an overrated and over ESPN-hyped pitcher. Thankfully, ESPN doesn't make the pitching roster decisions.

If Ozzie and the commissioner's office select the pitchers, Jenks has to be in. Bobby tied Papelbon last night for the save lead also.

WizardsofOzzie
06-14-2006, 01:35 PM
Much more realistic and deserving all star team than the one that will probably be voted

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=rogers_phil&id=2481290

WizardsofOzzie
06-14-2006, 01:37 PM
Papelbon is such an overrated and over ESPN-hyped pitcher. Thankfully, ESPN doesn't make the pitching roster decisions.

If Ozzie and the commissioner's office select the pitchers, Jenks has to be in. Bobby tied Papelbon last night for the save lead also.

Actually Papelbon has one more save than Jenks, even though i do agree that Jenks is a better closer