PDA

View Full Version : Dimitri Young

DaleJRFan
06-10-2006, 02:08 AM
Sorry if this is old news, checked for other threads, none in search results...

Dimitri Young checked himself into rehab

Radio station WDFN-AM (1130) reported Thursday that Tigers designated hitter Dmitri Young has entered the Betty Ford Center, a drug and alcohol rehabilitation facility in southern California.

LINK (http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060609/SPORTS02/606090440/1050)

Battling addiction is never easy nor is it a laughing matter. Get well soon, Dimitri.

Madvora
06-10-2006, 07:28 AM
That's weird I totally forgot about him and he's pretty much been the face of the Tigers for the last few years.
I never even noticed that he was missing.

PAPChiSox729
06-10-2006, 08:55 AM
That's weird I totally forgot about him and he's pretty much been the face of the Tigers for the last few years.
I never even noticed that he was missing.

Ever since the additions of Ivan Rodriguez and Maggs, Dimitri lost that face of the franchise status. Was he even a starter this year for Detriot? Best wishes to you, Dimitri.

soxjim
06-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Dimitri,
Take life as its dealt to you one day or even one moment at a time. Life in recovery is awesome. By Gods grace I'm clean and sober 5 1/2 years.

Hitmen77
06-10-2006, 09:36 AM
I wonder if our new Tiger-fan posters have a take on this - has he had recurring problems, or did this come out of the blue? I'd be interested in hearing the perspective of someone who follows the Tigers.

Is it me, or have those posters gone away since their team went 3-10 against NY, Boston, and Chicago? :unsure:

TheOldRoman
06-10-2006, 11:17 AM
Best of luck, Dimitri.

getonbckthr
06-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Not to sound like an ******* but whats with this family. Dmitri has a drug/alcohol problem, and Delmon has his anger problem.

The_Floridian
06-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Man that's tough. Hope he comes through clean on the other side.

Scottiehaswheels
06-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Do they say what his specific addiction is? Just looking at him I'd say cheeseburgers...

WSox8404
06-10-2006, 05:00 PM
Not to sound like an ******* but whats with this family. Dmitri has a drug/alcohol problem, and Delmon has his anger problem.

I doubt they had the best of lives when they were young.

Oblong
06-10-2006, 09:36 PM
(One of those Tiger fans here)

Dmitri's had some problems for a while. Aside from his injuries he went through a divorce last year, as did Pudge. He lost some weight, which was being hyped up too much for my opinion, he was still fat. Earlier this year he got accused of beating up his girlfriend and was arrested on that. Now this. It actually could be related. Maybe he's going in for a painkiller addiction and wants to show the judge he's getting help.

Last year Bobby Higginson's dad would post on some message board. He said Dmitri was drinking the hard stuff in the clubhouse. (It's a good bet that the guy was Higgy's dad because he would tell us about a few things before they happened, trades, Sanchez getting busted for steroids). As for the Tigers, most fans don't even consider him on the team or a part of any planning. Leyland seemed to have a very short leash with him regarding success. He's a non factor now. Probably played his last game as a Tiger.

Best of luck to Dmitri to battle his demons. I hope he doesn't go Doc Gooden or Strawberry on us.

tigersfan25
06-10-2006, 10:07 PM
Dmitri has had a lot of problems this year. Between this apparent substance abuse and beating a girl in a Birmingham Hotel, he's had his problem.

From a baseball standpoint, he seems to be better liked when he's not in the lineup. Marcus Thames has been way more effective that Dmitri Young showed the ability of being earlier in the year.

Of course, I wish Dmitri the best to a speedy recovery... this is a toughie for him, I'm sure.

JohnBasedowYoda
06-11-2006, 12:18 AM
I doubt they had the best of lives when they were young.

A lot of people don't. Let's leave it at that.