PDA

View Full Version : Sportscenter

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 10:58 PM
If you can see an airing of SC for their "hardly the usual top 10." 2 things stick out A) the centerfielder catch in a high school championship game simply sick! 2) If you remember the Randy Johnson bird incident, well it happened again in a minors game. Only this time the bird made it, the ball made it through, and the batter struckout cause of the nasty sinking movement the bird supplied.

StockdaleForVeep
06-10-2006, 01:56 AM
Wow, after seeing this i rapidly checked espn and just caught this at number 7

http://www.vintagecardtraders.org/virtual/64topps/64topps-543.jpg
"Who cares its a rat with wings!"

What was the ruling on that pitch? Deadball or strike? I dont see how it could be a strike cuz of interference

downstairs
06-10-2006, 08:01 AM
What was the ruling on that pitch? Deadball or strike? I dont see how it could be a strike cuz of interference

Hmmmm... I don't know because I didn't see it... but I'd assume a bird is considered a natural occurance. Like wind, and therefore its a strike?

What was the ruling on Johnson's pitch? A ball?

I want Mags back
06-10-2006, 10:24 AM

it was a strike at first, w/ a dropped 3rd, putout at first. But then the umps talked about it and declared no pitch

slobes
06-10-2006, 10:52 AM
That centerfield catch was AMAZING. No matter what level you're at, that's one helluva catch. Most guys in the majors wouldn't even attempt to dive for that.

StockdaleForVeep
06-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Hmmmm... I don't know because I didn't see it... but I'd assume a bird is considered a natural occurance. Like wind, and therefore its a strike?

What was the ruling on Johnson's pitch? A ball?

A bird coming in the game and hitting the ball changing its course directly i think would be a foul. Thats like if someone ran on the field and headed the ball durin a pitch

SBSoxFan
06-11-2006, 11:01 AM
A bird coming in the game and hitting the ball changing its course directly i think would be a fowl.

Fixed it for ya! :rolling:

Frontman
06-11-2006, 11:02 AM
Groans as SBSoxFan's feather related joke.....

JohnBasedowYoda
06-11-2006, 04:31 PM
Groans as SBSoxFan's feather related joke.....

It was a collective groan, like the one you hear at USCF when BA wiffs.

SBSoxFan
06-11-2006, 04:36 PM
It was a collective groan, like the one you hear at USCF when BA wiffs.

Thaaaannnnkkkkk Yoooouuuuu! :D:

RichFitztightly
06-11-2006, 11:16 PM
This is actually the third time it's happened where a pitched ball hit a bird. I remember reading in Sports Illustrated that some pitcher was warming up and hit a bird with a pitch before the inning started. I think it was the same month Randy Johnson hit his bird.

And on a side note, I hit a bat (the winged form of Dracula, not a baseball bat) with a golf ball in mid flight at a driving range near my house. That was pretty satisfying even though my buddy welched on his promise to buy all my drinks for the rest of the year if I pulled it off.

PKalltheway
06-12-2006, 01:02 AM
Didn't Dave Winfield hit a bird during BP one time?

TheKittle
06-12-2006, 01:16 AM
Didn't Dave Winfield hit a bird during BP one time?

I thought Winfield threw a ball at seagulls in Toronto, at their old stadium, and spent a night in jail for that "crime."