PDA

View Full Version : Balsa on the DL again

SOXPHILE
06-09-2006, 05:43 PM
Just heard on the Score that he's been put on the 15 day DL due to "shoulder stiffness", retroactive to June 7. In other news, the sun AGAIN rose in the east this morning, and is expected to set in the west this evening...

Jjav829
06-09-2006, 05:44 PM
Kerry Wood is a joke. He should just give up baseball already.

voodoochile
06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Kerry Wood is a joke. He should just give up baseball already.

Great arm but uncoachable and full of himself. Isn't the first great talent to be done in by an oversized ego...

He seems like a pretty down to earth guy when you meet him though. One of my friends was pretty tight with him and I got to chat with him a couple of times. Decent guy and he just laughed when I told him he was pitching on the wrong side of town (this was a few years ago now - so don't shoot me).

Jerko
06-09-2006, 05:47 PM
Didn't they just say YESTERDAY that there was NO INJURY? Typical. I'm starting to hope he DOES go somewhere else and recovers fully.

DMarte708
06-09-2006, 05:51 PM
This morning's paper: "Clean bill of health eases Wood's injury worries."

Kiley just prints anything the Cubs tell him to.

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Great arm but uncoachable and full of himself. Isn't the first great talent to be done in by an oversized ego...

).
I'm sure Herm Schneider and Don Cooper could perform this miracle. (Garland for Wood)

voodoochile
06-09-2006, 05:52 PM
I'm sure Herm Schneider and Don Cooper could perform this miracle. (Garland for Wood)

His arm is shot now. Trading for him would be a huge mistake.

rowand33
06-09-2006, 06:04 PM
the only way I'd want Wood to be in a White Sox uniform is if he was a middle reliever.

The guy will never succeed as a starter.

Vernam
06-09-2006, 06:05 PM
Kerry Wood is a joke. He should just give up baseball already.Maybe it's the hourly rate of $1.3 million that keeps him coming back!

Of course, when they say "stiffness," everyone knows that's the same as a "strain," which in turn is the same as a "tear," which even a toddler would know means he's never going to pitch again. :cool:

I'd feel more sympathy if they didn't always lie so blatantly about these injuries. One of my favorites was after Wood's first outing after the previous DL stint, when they said his "whole body hurts." As if to say, it's no big deal that his arm's aching, because everything aches. :rolleyes:

Vernam

SoxFanPrope
06-09-2006, 06:08 PM
I think he might need to work on his mechanics. Also lose the stubbornness, and some of the pudginess that he looks like he put on.

Earlier poster said that he might be the first athlete to be wholly taken away by his own ego. Good riddance I say.

voodoochile
06-09-2006, 06:09 PM
I think he might need to work on his mechanics. Also lose the stubbornness, and some of the pudginess that he looks like he put on.

Earlier poster said that he might be the first athlete to be wholly taken away by his own ego. Good riddance I say.

No, I said he would NOT be the first.

Cade McNown and Ryan Leaf come immediately to mind as guys who were done in by a $0.10 head.

StillMissOzzie
06-09-2006, 06:15 PM
B & B were cracking me up on the radio. "Let him go...Be prepared for him to be sucessful elsewhere...I don't care if he's 20-2 someplace else next year, he's just not worth the risk...."

Shocking news, though

SMO
:o:

SoxFanPrope
06-09-2006, 06:15 PM

Cade McNown and Ryan Leaf come immediately to mind as guys who were done in by a $0.10 head.
D'oh, sorry for the misread.

In any event, agreed

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 06:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/5982.jpg================http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/4775.jpg
All the potential in the world, live arm but just couldn't figure it out or stay healthy.

whitesoxfan
06-09-2006, 06:48 PM
the only way I'd want Wood to be in a White Sox uniform is if he was a middle reliever.

The guy will never succeed as a starter.

Agreed. His best days as a starter are long gone.

The Wimperoo
06-09-2006, 07:11 PM
I saw the best license plate last night on 55 driving home from the game.

WOOD 34 and it was a handicapped plate. It doesn't get anymore ironic than that.

SoxFanPrope
06-09-2006, 07:17 PM
I saw the best license plate last night on 55 driving home from the game.

WOOD 34 and it was a handicapped plate. It doesn't get anymore ironic than that.

Probably bought from Cade McNown.

QCIASOXFAN
06-09-2006, 07:20 PM
This is shocking news! The funny thing about this is nobody cares anymore, not even the Cubs fans.

voodoochile
06-09-2006, 07:34 PM
http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/5982.jpg================http://espn.go.com/i/mlb/profiles/players/65x90/4775.jpg
All the potential in the world, live arm but just couldn't figure it out or stay healthy.

Von Poppel was screwed by his agent. He had so much hype behind him that the agent insisted on a clause in his contract that he had to be on a major league roster inside of one year. He never got the time to develop.

Yes, he deserves some of the blame for letting the agent get that clause, but at 18 YO, you cannot be expected to make perfect decisions. Wood has had plenty of time to figure it out and buy in, but for whatever reason has decided he was bigger than the team.

DSpivack
06-09-2006, 08:44 PM
Maybe it's the hourly rate of $1.3 million that keeps him coming back!

Of course, when they say "stiffness," everyone knows that's the same as a "strain," which in turn is the same as a "tear," which even a toddler would know means he's never going to pitch again. :cool:

I'd feel more sympathy if they didn't always lie so blatantly about these injuries. One of my favorites was after Wood's first outing after the previous DL stint, when they said his "whole body hurts." As if to say, it's no big deal that his arm's aching, because everything aches. :rolleyes:

Vernam
Did they actually say that? :?:

If so, that might just be the funniest DL excuse I've ever heard.

RadioheadRocks
06-09-2006, 10:04 PM
Doesn't common sense tell you to cut your losses when you reach a certain point? But then again this is the CUBS we're talking about...

RKMeibalane
06-09-2006, 10:52 PM

Ryan Leaf's head is actually valued at closer to $0.03.

Banix12
06-10-2006, 12:41 AM
Cal Eldred would probably be a better comparison. Guy looked great in his rookie year but injuries probably due to his overuse early in his career basically killed what looked like a great career as a starter.

TDog
06-10-2006, 01:06 AM
At the end of the season, Mr. Wood, take the $3 million the Cubs will pay you to buy you out of your option and retire. If you still need spending money, you can sell your autograph to fawning Cubs fan, but taking their money won't hurt them as much as your teasing them with the promise that one day you will have a real career.

Vernam
06-10-2006, 01:58 AM
Did they actually say that? :?:

If so, that might just be the funniest DL excuse I've ever heard.Gospel. See this (http://suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cub22.html) from May 22 in the Sun-Times story titled "Wood sore, but not concerned."

Even though Cubs manager Dusty Baker and pitching coach Larry Rothschild were the ones who said the chance existed that Wood could be scratched because of right shoulder and total body soreness, Wood gave that news a quick brushoff.

"Who doesn't get sore between starts?'' Wood said. "The recovery wasn't quite as quick as it has been the last few starts, but you get sore between starts and that's the way it is. I expect to be fine. I'm planning to make my start on Tuesday.''

Where's the soreness?

"It's all over,'' Rothschild said.

"Total body soreness?!" Your what hurts?! :D:

Vernam

IlliniSox4Life
06-10-2006, 03:55 AM
The only shot he has to ever pitch in the majors again for more than a start between DL stretches is as a reliever. Too bad that's probably the only halfway decent area the Cubs already have.

Banix12
06-10-2006, 03:58 AM
I was wondering about this idea of him being uncoachable and having a huge ego. I'm not totally sure that's true, at least the uncoachable part, because I'm not sure the cubs really tried to coach him to the extent of fixing his mechanics early in his career (and anyway can you really fault a player for not listening to cubs coaches? that sounds like a player looking out for his future in baseball).

If I recall the cubs never really made an issue out of his mechanics until around 2004-2005, when guys like Steve Stone started making it a huge issue on talk radio. Now most of us were aware of his mechanical problems when he came up but I just don't remember the cubs ever really wanting to do anything about it until recently. The Cubs before that seemed perfectly happy to let Wood do what he pleased.

And he has made some changes in his pitching style. When he first came up his out pitch was that big overhand curveball which he seems to have largely fazed out of his pitch selection after the Tommy John surgery in favor of the slider because it was deemed to be less stressful. So he does seem willing to make some changes.

Some pitchers just aren't durable, he appears to be one of them.

SOXSINCE'70
06-10-2006, 07:47 AM
Ryan Leaf's head is actually valued at closer to $0.03.

I'd say -0.03,but that's me.:D: :D:

oscars gamble
06-10-2006, 09:03 AM
At the end of the season, Mr. Wood, take the $3 million the Cubs will pay you to buy you out of your option and retire. If you still need spending money, you can sell your autograph to fawning Cubs fan, but taking their money won't hurt them as much as your teasing them with the promise that one day you will have a real career.

Wood: "And then I struck out my 20th batter and we won the game." "That will be $25.00 for the t-shirt and another $10.00 for the autograph."

Cub Fan: "Can you tell me about game 5 of Divisional Playoff in 03."

Wood: "You have to get back in line and buy another t-shirt."

Vernam
06-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Today's headline in the Sun-Times: "Wood on DL, says he's not injured (http://suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cside10.html)." :?:

Vernam

TornLabrum
06-10-2006, 05:21 PM
Today's headline in the Sun-Times: "Wood on DL, says he's not injured (http://suntimes.com/output/cubs/cst-spt-cside10.html)." :?:

Vernam

And that's correct. He's on the DL for "normal stiffness that follows shoulder surgery." We've all seen hundreds of pitchers who've gone on the DL for stiffness following such operations.

TDog
06-10-2006, 06:07 PM
And that's correct. He's on the DL for "normal stiffness that follows shoulder surgery." We've all seen hundreds of pitchers who've gone on the DL for stiffness following such operations.

If Wood is going go into the rotation pitching with two weeks between starts because that is what he is capable of after his surgery, it is smart to put him on the disable list during that time. What a great guy to have on your team.

At the end of the season, it will be fun to total up the non-simulated innings Wood pitches and figure out how much he was paid for each.

SoxFanPrope
06-10-2006, 06:27 PM
At the end of the season, it will be fun to total up the non-simulated innings Wood pitches and figure out how much he was paid for each.

Isn't he a free agent at the end of the season, because it might be fun to see how much of a pay cut he'll be taking.

CLR01
06-10-2006, 07:18 PM
Isn't he a free agent at the end of the season, because it might be fun to see how much of a pay cut he'll be taking.

I believe the Cubs have an option for next year @ 13 million or a 3 million buy out.

getonbckthr
06-10-2006, 07:39 PM
I'm dead serious I would want the Sox to see what A) the cubs would want in return or B) see how much it would cost for a 2 yr deal. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Herm fix guys like Franco, Burks, Eldred and Jackson? For some reason I think Jim Abbot was hurt too? There is no question his career has been a disappointment, and he is a hard head, but I honestly think Coop and Herm can right this guy and make him pitch to his potential.

MarySwiss
06-10-2006, 08:01 PM
I'm dead serious I would want the Sox to see what A) the cubs would want in return or B) see how much it would cost for a 2 yr deal. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Herm fix guys like Franco, Burks, Eldred and Jackson? For some reason I think Jim Abbot was hurt too? There is no question his career has been a disappointment, and he is a hard head, but I honestly think Coop and Herm can right this guy and make him pitch to his potential.
Jim Abbott is an amazing story. He was born without a right hand, but rose above this to have a successful career in MLB. Today, he is an inspirational speaker, and a personal hero.

Of the others you mention, only Eldred was a pitcher. To the best of my knowledge, he is still in the Cardinals organization, but he is not on their active roster. Herm is a great trainer, but not a miracle worker. In short, these decisions are best left to those who are best equipped to make them, but I doubt the Sox would pursue Kerry Wood.

Ol' No. 2
06-10-2006, 08:29 PM
I'm dead serious I would want the Sox to see what A) the cubs would want in return or B) see how much it would cost for a 2 yr deal. Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't Herm fix guys like Franco, Burks, Eldred and Jackson? For some reason I think Jim Abbot was hurt too? There is no question his career has been a disappointment, and he is a hard head, but I honestly think Coop and Herm can right this guy and make him pitch to his potential.Only if he would agree to become a reliever, and at commensurate money with lots of incentives. No way Wood can ever be a starter again.

Banix12
06-10-2006, 08:53 PM
Jim Abbott is an amazing story. He was born without a right hand, but rose above this to have a successful career in MLB. Today, he is an inspirational speaker, and a personal hero.

Of the others you mention, only Eldred was a pitcher. To the best of my knowledge, he is still in the Cardinals organization, but he is not on their active roster. Herm is a great trainer, but not a miracle worker. In short, these decisions are best left to those who are best equipped to make them, but I doubt the Sox would pursue Kerry Wood.

I'm pretty sure eldred decided to retire after last season. I didn't see him at all in spring training this year.

I doubt the sox would sign him. Oddly enough he would be exactly the type of player that the cubs sign. Every year they bring in an injured pitcher with good stuff and try to get him to turn it around. Dempster, Williamson, and Miller for example

Vernam
06-10-2006, 09:39 PM
I believe the Cubs have an option for next year @ 13 million or a 3 million buy out.That's going to be a tough decision!

Vernam

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2006, 02:28 AM
Somebody help me out here, and I'm being serious, not sarcastic. So many of you think he's through as a starter (I agree) but think he can become a reliever.

How does that work? Relievers are often up in the bullpen every day, even if they don't get in the game. How does a guy whose arm is shot do better by throwing every day than by the carefully controlled and regimented routine of a starter? I seriously don't see how relieving is easier on the arm than starting.

Banix12
06-11-2006, 02:36 AM
Somebody help me out here, and I'm being serious, not sarcastic. So many of you think he's through as a starter (I agree) but think he can become a reliever.

How does that work? Relievers are often up in the bullpen every day, even if they don't get in the game. How does a guy whose arm is shot do better by throwing every day than by the carefully controlled and regimented routine of a starter? I seriously don't see how relieving is easier on the arm than starting.

I'm just going by the amount of players who have had arm problems and had successful runs as relievers. Eldred has been mentioned a few times in this thread. His arm was essentially shot yet he had three good healthy years in Cardinals bullpen.

There is also a theory that says more regular work actually strengthens the arm though I'm not sure about it.

rowand33
06-11-2006, 02:40 AM

In limited time as a reliever last year, he had a 2.25 ERA and a .100 BAA.

It's not in many innings, but if you watched him out of the pen last year, he looked pretty dominant.

munchman33
06-11-2006, 08:55 AM

Throwing 120 pitches in 3-5 days has got to be better for his arm than throwing 120 in one day.

Ol' No. 2
06-11-2006, 11:05 AM

How does that work? Relievers are often up in the bullpen every day, even if they don't get in the game. How does a guy whose arm is shot do better by throwing every day than by the carefully controlled and regimented routine of a starter? I seriously don't see how relieving is easier on the arm than starting.Think of it this way: Which is easier, lifting a 20 lb weight 10 times or lifting a 200 lb weight once?

Relievers rarely throw more than 75 innings in a season, but more importantly, rarely more than 30 pitches in an appearance and more commonly only 15-20. The theory is that the potential for injury increases rapidly as the number of pitches per appearance increases because fatigue tends to cause poor mechanics.

daveeym
06-11-2006, 11:14 AM
Think of it this way: Which is easier, lifting a 20 lb weight 10 times or lifting a 200 lb weight once?

Relievers rarely throw more than 75 innings in a season, but more importantly, rarely more than 30 pitches in an appearance and more commonly only 15-20. The theory is that the potential for injury increases rapidly as the number of pitches per appearance increases because fatigue tends to cause poor mechanics. Ding Ding Ding We have a winnah.