PDA

View Full Version : Home Run nicknames

Juice16
06-09-2006, 03:06 PM
I don't think there has ever been a worse nickname for a home run than "tater".

Baby Fisk
06-09-2006, 03:15 PM
:hawk
"When I first broke in, we used to call it a four-base hit. You know, these days, players like to stand there and watch the ball leave the park. Well, when I got called up to Kansas back in '61, the first thing I learned from Old Ed Lopat, he was the manager at the time, he told us that anyone, and I mean anyone, pulled a stunt like that and he'd be shipped down to Kirksville faster than you could pack an extra pair of socks. THAT BALL HIT DEEP! GET UP! STRETCH! STRETCH! And the wind knocks it down and shortstop Carlos Guillen makes the easy catch. Dagnabit. Because they didn't have any clothing stores in Kirksville. You either brought your own socks or you'd have to go without. They got a lot of my money in Kirksville."

:DJ
"ZZZZZZZZZZZZ..."

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 05:17 PM
"When I first broke in, we used to call it a four-base hit. You know, these days, players like to stand there and watch the ball leave the park. Well, when I got called up to Kansas back in '61, the first thing I learned from Old Ed Lopat, he was the manager at the time, he told us that anyone, and I mean anyone, pulled a stunt like that and he'd be shipped down to Kirksville faster than you could pack an extra pair of socks. THAT BALL HIT DEEP! GET UP! STRETCH! STRETCH! And the wind knocks it down and shortstop Carlos Guillen makes the easy catch. Dagnabit. Because they didn't have any clothing stores in Kirksville. You either brought your own socks or you'd have to go without. They got a lot of my money in Kirksville."

"ZZZZZZZZZZZZ..."
I wonder what Yaz thought about that years later?!

Sox-o-matic
06-09-2006, 05:46 PM

"ZZZZZZZZZZZZ..."

LMAO. Spot on except for the fact that DJ usually agrees with whatever the hell he's saying.

SoxFanPrope
06-09-2006, 06:19 PM

"ZZZZZZZZZZZZ..."

I have this sudden image of you with three televisions studying the Hawkisms.

QCIASOXFAN
06-09-2006, 06:28 PM
"Dong"

TDog
06-10-2006, 02:33 AM
The Harrelson thing is funny.

"Tater" goes back at least to the days when Ken Harrelson was a troublemaking player. The nickname is referenced in Jim Bouton's "Ball Four," which essentially is his diary of the 1969 season.

TornLabrum
06-10-2006, 10:41 AM
The Harrelson thing is funny.

"Tater" goes back at least to the days when Ken Harrelson was a troublemaking player. The nickname is referenced in Jim Bouton's "Ball Four," which essentially is his diary of the 1969 season.

Tater goes back a lot longer than that. It was old when I was a little kid in the '50s.

slobes
06-10-2006, 10:50 AM
My friend told me that Farmio once referred to a homer off the foul pole as a "doinker".
"This ball hit deep, down the right field line, and it's a doinker!!"

I can't say I've ever heard that before.

FedEx227
06-11-2006, 12:58 AM

"ZZZZZZZZZZZZ..."
Haha that is DEAD-ON. Either DJ agrees, like he knows what the hell Hawks talking about. Or he relays it back to something that happened to him in Japan.

"When I was in Japan we had a similar situation...."

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2006, 01:32 AM
Except Hawk would never refer to Kansas City as just Kansas.

getonbckthr
06-11-2006, 01:58 AM
Haha that is DEAD-ON. Either DJ agrees, like he knows what the hell Hawks talking about. Or he relays it back to something that happened to him in Japan.

"When I was in Japan we had a similar situation...."
A Japanese Yaz, is it possible?

Chicken Dinner
06-11-2006, 12:16 PM
I don't think there has ever been a worse nickname for a home run than "tater".

What is wrong with calling a homer a tater (or tator)??

The long ball, Dinger, Going Going Gone, Homer, See Ya Later Baby, Tator, Tape measure shot….. There are lots of ways to refer to the game's most majestic blow, the home run. Pitchers fear them, hitters live for them, and Outfielders like Ken Griffey Jr love to scale the wall and take them away.

Chips
06-11-2006, 12:20 PM
Anything is better than hearing Singleton say "And he'll touch 'em all"

HomeFish
06-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Have we forgotten Uh-oh, Bye Bye already?

Wsoxmike59
06-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Who could ever forget this call.....Podsednik hits it DEEP to CF........

SLAM A LAM A DING DONG!!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/63/Joe_Buck.jpg/180px-Joe_Buck.jpg

Joe Buck Yourself!!!

JohnBasedowYoda
06-11-2006, 01:30 PM
Dinger

Railsplitter
06-11-2006, 01:43 PM
As I have understood it, a tater is long home run.

Nellie_Fox
06-11-2006, 08:25 PM
What is wrong with calling a homer a tater (or tator)??
http://www.bluegoomba.com/society/purdue_tater_tots.jpg
It's "tater."

Foulke You
06-13-2006, 05:20 PM
I think my least favorite home run reference is "The Big Fly". Old chrome domed Jon Miller on ESPN refers to it as a "Big Fly" all the time. A "Big Fly" sounds like an out to me, not a home run. Very annoying.