PDA

View Full Version : The Centerfield Situation Poll: what will happen?

Baby Fisk
06-09-2006, 03:48 PM
The Centerfield Situation is becoming a dominant topic of discussion and fretting here at WSI. We turn our eyes to Kenny Williams for solace. What do you think will happen?

oeo
06-09-2006, 04:07 PM
Stick with Brian. Although a trade for someone like Brady Clark/Dan Kolb sounds intriguing, I think everyday at-bats will get Brian going. Keep Mackowiak out of center as much as possible, and let Brian work things out. Why make a trade for a centerfielder when you've got a good one right in front of you?

At least that's what I want to happen, but I've got a feeling Kenny is going to make a deal.

FedEx227
06-09-2006, 04:11 PM
Stick with Brian. Although a trade for someone like Brady Clark/Dan Kolb sounds intriguing, I think everyday at-bats will get Brian going. Keep Mackowiak out of center as much as possible, and let Brian work things out. Why make a trade for a centerfielder when you've got a good one right in front of you?

At least that's what I want to happen, but I've got a feeling Kenny is going to make a deal.

Ditto. Stick with Brian, we were doing just fine when he was an automatic out and he WILL catch on.

With that being said, I have a feeling KW is going to work a deal to get a reliever/CF package, although I don't feel its the best move right now.

Hitmen77
06-09-2006, 04:12 PM
I voted "Other" because I will guess that KW will swing a deal for a "questionnable" CF and that this acquisition won't be a "stud", but won't be a total dud either. He'll just be sufficient to allow us to get through this period until Anderson is ready to face the challenge of MLB pitching again.

By the way, this is not meant as a knock against this poll. But, aside from this poll, I count FIVE current threads discussing the CF situation::o:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72867&page=3

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72875&page=3

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72215&page=28

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72826&page=4

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72879

Lip Man 1
06-09-2006, 04:16 PM
Kenny swings a deal for a competent major leaguer who isn't an All Star but upgrads and helps solidy the situation. Brian is sent back to Charlotte and won't return until the September call up's. Mack goes back to being a 4th outfielder and part time starter.

All is well in the outfield for the first time this season.

Lip

Vernam
06-09-2006, 04:20 PM
:threadrules:

I voted for Option A because I'm an incurable idiot, er, optimist. :wink: I'm just relieved the debate is close to being settled at last. It is, isn't it?!

Vernam

ShoelessJoeS
06-09-2006, 04:21 PM
Pretty much anything that doesn't involve Mackowiak playing CF works for me.

MERPER
06-09-2006, 04:23 PM
I really think Ozzie is being hypocritical here... he has always stressed defense first and now he is worried about hitting and offense.. Brian's defense is great and needs to be out there to stop the mistakes which lead to opponent runs...

Also, while everyone seems to be picking on Anderson... I am blaming Uribe... I love Juan, he has been one of my favorite players over the past 2 years... Problem is that if he were hitting respectable (.260 or so) then Anderson's shortcomings aren't a big problem.. we can give up 1 out at the bottom of the order but not 2...Uribe's struggles have magnified the Anderson situation....

Has anyone else noticed a slight slip in Uribe's defense since the Sunday's Cubs game as well? His extreme average play over the past 3 weeks has cost us about 4 games... I am all for starting Cintron for a while.. with the offense he can bring, Anderson can play CF and we'd be fine...

Baby Fisk
06-09-2006, 04:24 PM
By the way, this is not meant as a knock against this poll. But, aside from this poll, I count FIVE current threads discussing the CF situation::o:

It's certainly a pressing topic at the moment. The early numbers favouring Brian are nice to see.

slobes
06-09-2006, 04:24 PM
I think in the Trib this morning it said something like Ozzie announced Macko as the starting CF before yesterday's game, but after the game he kinda changed his mind about it, saying that he was sticking with Brian for a little while.

06-09-2006, 04:27 PM
Anderson needs a 3-4 night, that will do wonders for his confidence....

06-09-2006, 04:28 PM
And don't forget Anderson has a 5 day vacation coming up

Hitmen77
06-09-2006, 04:45 PM
It's certainly a pressing topic at the moment. The early numbers favouring Brian are nice to see.

Yes, I'm intrigued by the results. So far overwhelmingly in favor (:tongue: ) of keeping Brian.

I don't think the Sox will do that unless BA suddenly turns things around this weekend. But, if they are going to keep BA in the majors, I hope they play him more. Either play him or send him down. The current approach of only having him play against stud lefties isn't working.

oeo
06-09-2006, 05:00 PM
I really think Ozzie is being hypocritical here... he has always stressed defense first and now he is worried about hitting and offense.. Brian's defense is great and needs to be out there to stop the mistakes which lead to opponent runs...

Also, while everyone seems to be picking on Anderson... I am blaming Uribe... I love Juan, he has been one of my favorite players over the past 2 years... Problem is that if he were hitting respectable (.260 or so) then Anderson's shortcomings aren't a big problem.. we can give up 1 out at the bottom of the order but not 2...Uribe's struggles have magnified the Anderson situation....

Has anyone else noticed a slight slip in Uribe's defense since the Sunday's Cubs game as well? His extreme average play over the past 3 weeks has cost us about 4 games... I am all for starting Cintron for a while.. with the offense he can bring, Anderson can play CF and we'd be fine...
Who's to say that Cintron can put up good offensive numbers when he's playing everyday? He was given a shot as the starting shortstop in Arizona, and failed miserably. Some guys just aren't fit to start every day. I'll stick with Uribe, he's probably the most unlucky person on this team. For example, last night he crushed a ball and if it wasn't for the speed of Granderson (notice I say speed, that guy runs all over the place before he gets to the ball), it would have been an easy double. Juan will get hot and bring his average up.

Sox-o-matic
06-09-2006, 05:05 PM
I voted other. I think Kenny gets a decent replacement without giving up too much. Decent to me, by the way, means an upgrade over Mackowiak since Brian looks like he's going to be sent down.

Sox-o-matic
06-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Who's to say that Cintron can put up good offensive numbers when he's playing everyday? He was given a shot as the starting shortstop in Arizona, and failed miserably. Some guys just aren't fit to start every day. I'll stick with Uribe, he's probably the most unlucky person on this team. For example, last night he crushed a ball and if it wasn't for the speed of Granderson (notice I say speed, that guy runs all over the place before he gets to the ball), it would have been an easy double. Juan will get hot and bring his average up.

The player whom you are making an argument for was given a chance to start in Colorado and failed.

I'd take Cintron + Anderson over Uribe + Mackowiak any day.

daveeym
06-09-2006, 05:46 PM
I voted "this poll sucks" because there were too many options. It's Friday, it's cold and crappy out, my dog just died, my pickup turned over and I can't figure out what to do about dinner.

Sox-o-matic
06-09-2006, 05:50 PM
I voted "this poll sucks" because there were too many options. It's Friday, it's cold and crappy out, my dog just died, my pickup turned over and I can't figure out what to do about dinner.

That sounds like the basis for a country song.

Ol' No. 2
06-09-2006, 06:02 PM
The player whom you are making an argument for was given a chance to start in Colorado and failed.

I'd take Cintron + Anderson over Uribe + Mackowiak any day.Right. Let's sacrifice defence at an even more critical defensive position to gain 60 pts in OBP instead of at a less critical position to gain 100 pts in OBP. Makes a lot of sense to me.

rowand33
06-09-2006, 06:02 PM
I still have faith in Uribe.

Anderson and Uribe are both great in the field, and are both struggling at the plate.

The difference between the two of them is that at least Uribe has proven the last two years that he can hit at the major league level.

Brian sucked last september, and Brian sucks now. I'm not saying he's a lost cause; I'm just saying he hasn't shown us a damn thing yet, and nothing other than blind faith can justify his roster spot. If I upgrade at one of those positions, it's center.

wassagstdu
06-09-2006, 06:54 PM
If you trade for a CF who hits .250 you get one more hit every 2-3 games. And at what cost? I say BA's defense earns him half of a season. He has hit at every other level, after all, but it depends on what Greg Walker sees.

oeo
06-09-2006, 07:30 PM

I'd take Cintron + Anderson over Uribe + Mackowiak any day.

And what did he do last year, again? I'm not ready to experiment with Cintron playing every day. Uribe has proven that he can start every day, Cintron has not. I think we're going to get about the same offensively (except less HR's from Cintron), but Uribe's glove gives him the job.

jongarlandlover
06-09-2006, 07:37 PM
I think we need to stick with Brian. His defense is stellar and he hasn't been given much opportunity to bring that batting average up.

California Sox
06-09-2006, 07:40 PM
I voted other because I think they're going to send Brian down, let him get his head/bat together a bit and bring him back up end of July/beginning of August and he's going to help us win some games down the stretch.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Brian Anderson (also known as Brain :redneck ) 43%
Several Trade Options 33%
Other / This poll sucks 16%
Nothing happens 7%
Mackowiak 1%

:hawk

"I Luv it when WSI democratize."