PDA

View Full Version : Seriously Annoying Issue Needs To Be Discussed

nug0hs
06-09-2006, 02:28 PM
Last night, along with a crowd of over 37,000 I attended my fifth game of the season. I have been going a lot with my friend who has season tickets in section 522, row 8, towards the end of the row. The location of her seats and the ones several rows in front/behind us have been posing quite a maddening scenario this season: fans on the stairs/aisle blocking our view while the ball is in play. Last night was the worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) revolt by the fans behind us, who constantly screamed "I CAN'T SEE" or "WAIT FOR A STOPPAGE" every time someone stopped in their line of vision. Now, personally, I can understand it when a vendor does this (they are just your average Joe trying to make a buck or two) although some type of kneel or movement to make an effort to block the view of as few people as possible would be courteous and appreciated. On the other hand, it seems like we have quite a few fans who do not practice good baseball etiquette and come and go as they please, blocking the view of other fans without even thinking twice or even realizing it most of the time. I was always taught to wait at the entrance to my section until a batter is out or gets on base when there is no "live" action happening on the field and practice this policy (or something similar) at every sporting event I attend. As this issue kept turning up last night, the guys and I behind us had a little discussion on the matter. We decided that the guest services reps at USCF should do something similar to what is done at the United Center for Blackhawks games: hold the fans at the entrance to the section until the ball/puck is out of play. Has anyone seen other baseball stadiums doing something similar to this? I believe at the very least that we should put signs at the entrance to every section suggesting that fans display some courtenousness and wait until no batter is at the plate before entering the section. I know there are a lot of good baseball fans out there on WSI who, just like me, wait until an appropriate time to head back to their seats. Unfortunately, we can't all change the world...but how do you suggest we try regarding this matter?

cheeses_h_rice
06-09-2006, 02:31 PM
In Seattle, they would do this, and it was completely annoying to me, having to wait, and then walking down the aisle to my seat, and by the time I got there, the next batter had already started batting because the aisles were so long. I agree, a little common courtesy would be helpful, but if you're expecting the 17-year-old ushers to do anything other than standing there, you're dreaming.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2006, 02:36 PM
We decided that the guest services reps at USCF should do something similar to what is done at the United Center for Blackhawks games: hold the fans at the entrance to the section until the ball/puck is out of play. Has anyone seen other baseball stadiums doing something similar to this? I believe at the very least that we should put signs at the entrance to every section suggesting that fans display some courtenousness and wait until no batter is at the plate before entering the section. I know there are a lot of good baseball fans out there on WSI who, just like me, wait until an appropriate time to head back to their seats. Unfortunately, we can't all change the world...but how do you suggest we try regarding this matter?
It's all a matter of ingraining the right kind of public manners into people's minds. During the heady early 1990s, when 50,000 people a night would come to watch the Jays in Toronto, ushers would hold fans at entrances until there was a stop in action, or the inning ended. After a while, people adapted to the natural rhythm of a ballgame, and got up and down accordingly. Now fans in Toronto are for the most part very well behaved in this matter, even tho the ushers aren't as vigilant anymore. Baseball fans aren't animals, but they can certainly be trained. :cool:

Chicken Dinner
06-09-2006, 02:50 PM
In Seattle, they would do this, and it was completely annoying to me, having to wait, and then walking down the aisle to my seat, and by the time I got there, the next batter had already started batting because the aisles were so long. I agree, a little common courtesy would be helpful, but if you're expecting the 17-year-old ushers to do anything other than standing there, you're dreaming.

They hold you at Chase field in AZ but the ushers aren't 17 their 70.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2006, 02:52 PM
USCF needs to hire the nasty bastards who work at Shea Stadium. Given half a chance, they'd take you out to the back parking lot to be flogged just for looking at them sideways.

FedEx227
06-09-2006, 03:08 PM
Thats something thats really been bugging me as well. And its usually the same 4-5 people from your row that get up about 33 times during the game, all in the middle of innings.

Also, people that come late and take forever to get into their seats, and usually start some weird argument about if 19, 18, 17 is theirs.

TheKittle
06-09-2006, 03:13 PM
Just like that "wave" thread the issue is, you have fans who aren't at the game for the game. The game is a form of entertainment for many people who go to the game.

I am talking in general terms. This may or may not apply to the people who go to games on the Southside of Chicago.

ma-gaga
06-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Has anyone seen other baseball stadiums doing something similar to this?

The Twins have started doing this in the last 3-4 years. I think it's a really good idea. The people that bother me are the ones who "duck" around you and then get perterbed when the usher stops THEM.

I think it comes in cycles. In August or September, when there's only 10,000 - 12,000 fans at a game, I'm sure they'll loosen up a bit on this rule.

And it depends on where your seats are. Outfield general admission doesn't have the same sight lines, or need for this.

Senerch23
06-09-2006, 03:39 PM
I can't stand going to my seats and when I get there, there is someone already sitting in them. This is especially annoying when you know there are going to be huge crowds there and almost every seat in the house is going to be filled. Half the time they just look at you like you're crazy or something and it takes 5 minutes for them to get up and go to their actual seats.

JUribe1989
06-09-2006, 03:54 PM
Hell, they even do that in Florida. It's a great idea to hold people that want to enter their seats until a break in the action occurs.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-09-2006, 03:56 PM
Several stadiums I have been to have ushers who do not permit people to go to their seats until after the at bat.

People should "wait for the whistle" in Blackhawks parlance.

Half the aisles in the upper deck do not have ushers stationed (either no usher or the usher is on break or reassigned) leading to an annoying gathering of fans standing in the aisle watching blocking the view in certain sections. The smoking ban alleviated some of this as many in the past would stand in the aisle and smoke annoying fans by blocking their view and blowing their smoke on them.

The lower deck has an usher at each aisle to make sure people are not sneaking into seats but they do not stop people from coming and going during game action.

As a former Andy Frain I thought ushers were better back in the day (sort of like former players who think their generation was better :D: ) but they do an OK job.

If your usher does not resolve an issue they should (people with no ticket in your seat, people blocking your view, idiots swearing all game, etc.) then you should go to the Sox fan assistance booths near home in the Upper and Lower Deck and they will get a supervisor right away to jump on the issue.

Unfortunately your issue (people coming and going during the game) is something they will not address.

:reinsy

"Ballgame? People are here to buy my churros and beer and provide an audience to sell advertising which is why I look as smug as I do with the 14 sellouts to date."

SweetnesSox
06-09-2006, 03:58 PM
similar to what is done at the United Center for Blackhawks games

let's please not treat our fans like the blackhawks treat theirs...

Fake Chet Lemon
06-09-2006, 04:04 PM
When you go out in public, you just have to accept that or become a miserable bastard. I fought it for a while, but I've learned to let it go. God loves nit-wits, He must because He made millions of them. I've also learned to cope by buying a 62" Mitsubishi with surround sound and stay home as much as possible! I recommend that :D: .

pearso66
06-09-2006, 08:51 PM
I can't stand going to my seats and when I get there, there is someone already sitting in them. This is especially annoying when you know there are going to be huge crowds there and almost every seat in the house is going to be filled. Half the time they just look at you like you're crazy or something and it takes 5 minutes for them to get up and go to their actual seats.

That is the worst. It hasn't happened to me yet, as I usually am to my seats before anyone is even in the row, but probably 5 times within the first 3 innings, that very thing happens in front of me. The guys are in the wrong seat, and the seat "owners" come in and tell them to move, first they insist on seeing their ticket, then they just move over to the very next open seats, to have it happen yet again. I don't understand why it even happens by me, I'm in the upper deck, 542, but it does. The last game I went to, a group of 4 people changed seats 6 times, including going back to the original seats twice.

doctorlecter
06-09-2006, 08:55 PM
I was at Wednesday's game in section 128. During one half inning, as I got up to get some rally nachos, I returned to my section as the next inning started. I waited for the first at bat, and as I waited, the usher told everyone standing at the entrance to clear out. I didn't feel like lecturing him, so I just stood there until the at bat was over and walked to my seat. He had no idea that what I was doing was the proper thing to do. Is there anyone with any tech savvy that can put together an internet petition to institute this policy? Baseball etiquette is a dying art, but I would LOVE to see it forcefully ingrained.

SouthSide_HitMen
06-09-2006, 09:02 PM
When you go out in public, you just have to accept that or become a miserable bastard. I fought it for a while, but I've learned to let it go. God loves nit-wits, He must because He made billions of them. I've also learned to cope by buying a 62" Mitsubishi with surround sound and stay home as much as possible! I recommend that :D: .

Fixed it for you. :redneck

INSox56
06-09-2006, 09:44 PM
Weekend season tix here, sec 106. I'm really REALLY tired of this. In fact last game I didn't keep my comments under my breath. One guy got up for the 5th time and I turned to the people behind me (also there every weekend) and said fairly loudly "hey you guys mind changing seats" They asked why and I just said "well I'm kinda tired of getting up every 4 minutes honestly". We had a few minute conversation, speaking loudly, about this subject so all could hear. A few guys actually kneeled and waited until the entire next batter, very respectable and I actually congratulated them on not being idiots.

I'm frankly getting absolutely sick of it. This one ******* got up 3 times....in an inning. He and his buddy had to had gotten up 6+ times during the game. I'm a big tailgater AND have a small bladder...and I get up MAX twice during a game, and I have aisle seats, so it wouldn't matter anyway. I always love it when they say "last time guys, last time".....there shouldn't be a SECOND time, dip****.

I would not be opposed to any ushers standing in the section entrances.

skobabe8
06-10-2006, 12:15 AM
Last night, along with a crowd of over 37,000 I attended my fifth game of the season. I have been going a lot with my friend who has season tickets in section 522, row 8, towards the end of the row. The location of her seats and the ones several rows in front/behind us have been posing quite a maddening scenario this season: fans on the stairs/aisle blocking our view while the ball is in play. Last night was the worst (or best, depending on how you look at it) revolt by the fans behind us, who constantly screamed "I CAN'T SEE" or "WAIT FOR A STOPPAGE" every time someone stopped in their line of vision. Now, personally, I can understand it when a vendor does this (they are just your average Joe trying to make a buck or two) although some type of kneel or movement to make an effort to block the view of as few people as possible would be courteous and appreciated. On the other hand, it seems like we have quite a few fans who do not practice good baseball etiquette and come and go as they please, blocking the view of other fans without even thinking twice or even realizing it most of the time. I was always taught to wait at the entrance to my section until a batter is out or gets on base when there is no "live" action happening on the field and practice this policy (or something similar) at every sporting event I attend. As this issue kept turning up last night, the guys and I behind us had a little discussion on the matter. We decided that the guest services reps at USCF should do something similar to what is done at the United Center for Blackhawks games: hold the fans at the entrance to the section until the ball/puck is out of play. Has anyone seen other baseball stadiums doing something similar to this? I believe at the very least that we should put signs at the entrance to every section suggesting that fans display some courtenousness and wait until no batter is at the plate before entering the section. I know there are a lot of good baseball fans out there on WSI who, just like me, wait until an appropriate time to head back to their seats. Unfortunately, we can't all change the world...but how do you suggest we try regarding this matter?

AMEN!

IlliniSox4Life
06-10-2006, 12:31 AM
Alright, so I went to the game on Tuesday and this one jerk kept standing right in front of the aisle. I tried telling him to move, and you know what he did? He starts trying to get different sections to cheer him on! The worst part was they started to cheer him! Must've been a bunch of bandwagoners, because they weren't paying attention to the damned game! I almost got in a fight with this guy, but he was a lot bigger than me. He seemed kind of nutty because he was wearing a full uniform. I mean, a lot of people wear jerseys to support the team, but pants too?! C'mon, that's a little extreme. He also had green hair, which, well, that's a bit extreme too. Just lettin you all know in case you see him around. I've seen him there before oddly enough. He was just always in other sections and walking around. I think they ended up kicking him out though, because he had a bunch of security around him.

oscars gamble
06-10-2006, 07:46 AM
When you go out in public, you just have to accept that or become a miserable bastard. I fought it for a while, but I've learned to let it go. God loves nit-wits, He must because He made millions of them. I've also learned to cope by buying a 62" Mitsubishi with surround sound and stay home as much as possible! I recommend that :D: .

:rolling:

cbotnyse
06-10-2006, 10:34 AM
I was at Wednesday's game in section 128. During one half inning, as I got up to get some rally nachos, I returned to my section as the next inning started. I waited for the first at bat, and as I waited, the usher told everyone standing at the entrance to clear out. I didn't feel like lecturing him, so I just stood there until the at bat was over and walked to my seat. He had no idea that what I was doing was the proper thing to do. Is there anyone with any tech savvy that can put together an internet petition to institute this policy? Baseball etiquette is a dying art, but I would LOVE to see it forcefully ingrained.

the exact same thing happened to me. I was waiting at the top of the stairs for a break in the action and the usher told me he has to keep it clear. I told him I'm gonna wait for an out so I dont get in everyone's way. He gave me a "that makes total sense" look and didnt say a word.

I think the way the hockey does it should be the standard.

FoulTerritory
06-10-2006, 11:05 AM
I think we are talking about a couple separate issues here, and I have differing opinions on them. I DO think people should wait until the end of said batter before re-entering the seating area. Usually there is enough pause between batters that people can get to their seats without interupting people's view etc. Likewise, I think people should wait till between batters, or even inning breaks, to get up and leave a row.

That said, I think some people are too easily irritated and are frankly, too lazy to just stand up a couple times a game to let people through. My season tickets are in the middle of a row in the outfield reserved (102), and I have a small bladder, and I like to drink about 2 or sometimes 3 beers (if i don't have to drive) at a game. So, between fetching beer, or food and having to go to the bathroom, I often get up about 4 times average during a game. Now the crucial thing is that I never leave until the end of an inning, and I never return to my seat while action is going on, BUT there are people that still bitch about it. Its like, come on, I didn't ask you to do anything but stand up briefly. Big deal. I didn't block your view during game action, I didn't kick your beer over, so just stand up for 1 second and sit back down.

My point, I think as long as people aren't walking back and forth during game action, then others should be fairly tolerant, especially of those with small bladders who drink beer and got their season tix stuck in the middle of a row. But also, people need to also take steps to not walk back and forth while the game is going on. Simple courtesy extended both ways is all it takes.

Jerko
06-10-2006, 11:09 AM
Alright, so I went to the game on Tuesday and this one jerk kept standing right in front of the aisle. I tried telling him to move, and you know what he did? He starts trying to get different sections to cheer him on! The worst part was they started to cheer him! Must've been a bunch of bandwagoners, because they weren't paying attention to the damned game! I almost got in a fight with this guy, but he was a lot bigger than me. He seemed kind of nutty because he was wearing a full uniform. I mean, a lot of people wear jerseys to support the team, but pants too?! C'mon, that's a little extreme. He also had green hair, which, well, that's a bit extreme too. Just lettin you all know in case you see him around. I've seen him there before oddly enough. He was just always in other sections and walking around. I think they ended up kicking him out though, because he had a bunch of security around him.

Southpaw?

Scottiehaswheels
06-10-2006, 11:11 AM
Southpaw?:rolling: :rolling: I seriously just spit pop all over the monitor... Thanks Jerko

Scottiehaswheels
06-10-2006, 11:20 AM
In response to this topic... Just be glad you all don't sit a section over from both "superfan" and soxman.... Soxman has people come over and talk to him all the time which blocks the view and "superfan" is this loon that stands up and makes a safe sign like every 2-3 minutes, i'm just waiting to see how long it takes before he pops someone walking up/down the aisle in the face with that.... lil kids making fun of him is entertaining though.. he gets pretty pissed:D:

skobabe8
06-10-2006, 02:33 PM
I think we are talking about a couple separate issues here, and I have differing opinions on them. I DO think people should wait until the end of said batter before re-entering the seating area. Usually there is enough pause between batters that people can get to their seats without interupting people's view etc. Likewise, I think people should wait till between batters, or even inning breaks, to get up and leave a row.

That said, I think some people are too easily irritated and are frankly, too lazy to just stand up a couple times a game to let people through. My season tickets are in the middle of a row in the outfield reserved (102), and I have a small bladder, and I like to drink about 2 or sometimes 3 beers (if i don't have to drive) at a game. So, between fetching beer, or food and having to go to the bathroom, I often get up about 4 times average during a game. Now the crucial thing is that I never leave until the end of an inning, and I never return to my seat while action is going on, BUT there are people that still bitch about it. Its like, come on, I didn't ask you to do anything but stand up briefly. Big deal. I didn't block your view during game action, I didn't kick your beer over, so just stand up for 1 second and sit back down.

My point, I think as long as people aren't walking back and forth during game action, then others should be fairly tolerant, especially of those with small bladders who drink beer and got their season tix stuck in the middle of a row. But also, people need to also take steps to not walk back and forth while the game is going on. Simple courtesy extended both ways is all it takes.

I understand your point, but at the same time you don't just get "stuck in the middle of a row" with season tickets. You know what seat you are getting when you buy them and have the opportunity to pick and choose. I would suggest next time make sure you get a seat on the aisle.

doogiec
06-10-2006, 06:41 PM
I hit the trifecta on Thursday night:

1. Had a couple of guys sitting in front of me to the right with the combination of no bladder and raging alcoholism. Instead of exiting to the right (and having the other two people they were with get up), they exited every inning to the left, forcing eight people to get up. Never between innings, never even between batters.

2. Had another couple of guys "drifting" in front of me for the first five innings. Didn't have tickets in the section, and whenever the seat holders showed up, had to stand up to find a couple of additional seats. Of course, the process took at least one batter every time.

3. A family of five (2 adults, 3 under 10 year old kids) decided not to stick around for the bottom of the ninth. No big deal, but they waited until the first pitch was thrown in the bottom of the ninth to make this decision, and by they time they stood up, got the kids and all their possessions together, there was two outs.

I've been to lots of other major league parks, and I really believe the Sox don't hire as many ushers as other parks. And the ushers they do hire don't seem trained/motivated to do anything other than stand at the top of the aisle. The Metrodome is a dump, but the ushers there make it much easier to actually watch the game. And I've noticed lots of Sox fans getting hostile about it this year.

IlliniSox4Life
06-10-2006, 07:34 PM
Southpaw?

You know him? Here, my friend saw him there again the other night and managed to snap a photo:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/kshanks2/southpaw.jpg

Anyway, please report this jerk to the ushers or customer relation people if you see him. They usually have some security following him around. I think they can't refuse to let him in because he paid for the tickets or whatever, but as soon as they see him do something wrong, they are going to kick him out.

I can't stand people like this.

nug0hs
06-30-2006, 03:21 PM
UPDATE:

My friend wrote a letter to the Sox regarding this issue, here is the response she got:

To: My friend
Sent: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:19:06 -0500
Subject: Fans Moving During Play

Dear nug0hs' friend,

Thank you for taking the time to write in regarding fans who move in
and out of their seats during the game.

One of the issues that we have discovered this season is that, due to
our World Series Championship, we have seen an influx of guests in the ballpark, many of which are not aware of baseball etiquette. We have been working on some ideas on ways to help educate these guests as we move forward in the season. Please know that we are aware of the situation and are working to find appropriate ways to address it.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to
write again!

Sincerely,

Anne Wheat
Manager of Guest Services
Chicago White Sox

ND_Sox_Fan
06-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Good stuff - glad to know they are working on it.

I think the problem has gotten worse now that we are into the summer and more of the "guests" are starting to come to the games. I have had some families and/or groups in front of me the last few weeks that just have no clue.

skobabe8
06-30-2006, 06:09 PM
UPDATE:

My friend wrote a letter to the Sox regarding this issue, here is the response she got:

To: My friend
Sent: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:19:06 -0500
Subject: Fans Moving During Play

Dear nug0hs' friend,

Thank you for taking the time to write in regarding fans who move in
and out of their seats during the game.

One of the issues that we have discovered this season is that, due to
our World Series Championship, we have seen an influx of guests in the ballpark, many of which are not aware of baseball etiquette. We have been working on some ideas on ways to help educate these guests as we move forward in the season. Please know that we are aware of the situation and are working to find appropriate ways to address it.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to
write again!

Sincerely,

Anne Wheat
Manager of Guest Services
Chicago White Sox

I'm glad they are aware of the problem, however I think its gonna take more than "educating" guests to resolve the problem. I'm in the same situation as the original poster and will never get seats that force me to look directly across an isle to see homeplate ever again.

HotelWhiteSox
06-30-2006, 06:39 PM
I'm glad they are aware of the problem, however I think its gonna take more than "educating" guests to resolve the problem. I'm in the same situation as the original poster and will never get seats that force me to look directly across an isle to see homeplate ever again.

It really gets ridiculous. I'm not hot headed at all, but there was a point in one of the games when I wanted to strangle the next person that walked by. Even worse was the concession lady who decided to take a rest right in front me (Hello? Ever heard of the concourse?). And the cotton candy thing can be 5 sections away and still block you. Vendors wouldn't be as bad if fans didn't decide to pass right when the pitch was thrown as well (especially if they are going up), I mean are you here for the game or what?

DoItForDanPasqua
07-01-2006, 05:41 PM
This sort of behavior makes sitting in the first few rows of the upper deck intolerable. In San Francisco they tell make it clear that you should not be standing when the batter is in the box. They even have ushers watching for people obstructing the view of others and holding signs telling people to wait. The people standing at the ramp are the same people who stand on the left side of an escalator. I don't think that these people are being deliberately rude: certain people are just oblivious to others around them. Perhaps, it is suburbanites who are not accustomed to crowds unless on the expressway.