PDA

View Full Version : Possible centerfielder???

thomas35forever
06-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Steve Stone was talking about how the Sox should look at Brady Clark and trade for him since the Brewers aren't really going anywhere this year. How would you feel to see Clark starting in center for us?

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 02:18 PM
No. It should be one of two things, an impact replacement in CF or let Brian grow out there.

Hawkeroo1980
06-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Steve Stone was talking about how the Sox should look at Brady Clark and trade for him since the Brewers aren't really going anywhere this year. How would you feel to see Clark starting in center for us?

Sure, how bout throwin in kolb and turnbow too.

Kolb, Turnbow, and Clark

Pollite, Broadway, and Mackowiak

Crede_Fan
06-09-2006, 02:19 PM
I like Brady Clark. Might be good to have depending on the asking price.

Baby Fisk
06-09-2006, 02:23 PM
Stone is jumping the gun on Milwaukee. They are hovering around .500 in a division currently led by the Reds. It's still anybody's game in the NL Central. Add to that the fact that the Brewers were supposed to be the surprise contenders of that division this year. A sudden offloading of talent would be received by fans as a "white flag" trade unless they recoup with someone huge.

...like Garland, perhaps.

Lip Man 1
06-09-2006, 03:24 PM
Mark Gonzales beat Stoney to this in his column published last night at the Tribune web site.

Lip

Sox-o-matic
06-09-2006, 03:46 PM
I thought we wanted a CF, not a right fielder. Just because he's playing CF now doesn't mean he's what we need. Pods played CF over Brady in Milwaukee too.

I heard Stone say this on the radio today and IMO is even more reason for him to stick to the Cubs, not the Sox. I will admit he's a slightly better option than Juan Pierre, the other player the Score idiots would like to see traded to the Sox.

ilsox7
06-09-2006, 03:47 PM
Sure, how bout throwin in kolb and turnbow too.

Kolb, Turnbow, and Clark

Pollite, Broadway, and Mackowiak

FYI, Politte has 0 trade value and Rob has very minimal trade value.

Sox-o-matic
06-09-2006, 04:18 PM
FYI, Politte has 0 trade value and Rob has very minimal trade value.

I think Politte could be a part of a deal instead of some middle-of-the-road minor leaguer, so I wouldn't say he has 0 trade value. On a trade value scale of 0-100 where zero is Chan Ho Park and 100 is Pujols, I'd say he's about a 15 and slipping.

Rob OTOH has trade value, but not to a team like the Brewers. He's valuable to a contending team built to go deep into the playoffs, built to keep their starters fresh throughout the season to make a legitimate run at the World Series. So why would we trade him?

ilsox7
06-09-2006, 04:28 PM
I think Politte could be a part of a deal instead of some middle-of-the-road minor leaguer, so I wouldn't say he has 0 trade value. On a trade value scale of 0-100 where zero is Chan Ho Park and 100 is Pujols, I'd say he's about a 15 and slipping.

Rob OTOH has trade value, but not to a team like the Brewers. He's valuable to a contending team built to go deep into the playoffs, built to keep their starters fresh throughout the season to make a legitimate run at the World Series. So why would we trade him?
Rob and Cliff would be nothing but throw-ins. The Sox are likely to only trade with teams that are re-tooling. No team in that situation has a need for a journeyman middle reliever, who had 1 good year and is now hurt, and a utility player.

Anyone the Sox deal with will want prospects or McCarthy.

34 Inch Stick
06-09-2006, 04:34 PM
You might have to wait a little while but Mark Kotsay might work.

rowand33
06-09-2006, 04:54 PM
I posted this on another thread, but Kolb + Clark seems ideal to me right now.

Clark is better in CF than Mack (but not as good as Anderson)
and he puts up decent offensive #s too.

He's also got a little speed.

Kolb sucked in Atlanta last year, but that year is bookended by two great ones with the Brewers, so who knows. Can't be worse than Cliff right now.

getonbckthr
06-09-2006, 04:55 PM
Why would you want to deal Mack? Ok so he can't play Cf, and isn't an everyday starter. However how many guys do you know of that can play both corner outfield positions and all 4 infield positions? He uses up 1 roster spot but is as valuable as 3.

Domeshot17
06-09-2006, 05:51 PM
Clark would be great. Hes got a solid glove, hes better then mack, not as good with the glove as brian, but hes a high 280 hitter with good speed. He does the little things right and would be a great addition. I brought him up last night when I broke down the teams who should be sellers when we send down brian (who as much as i like, needs time in triple A, because he isnt helping us)

DaleJRFan
06-10-2006, 12:57 AM
Brady Clark fits the "grinder" theme perfectly and is a KW type of guy. Solid defense and baserunning and a very good hitter. But, I'll stick with Anderson. His defense saves games. Run production is the job(s) of PK, Thome, Dye, AJ, Pods, Crede. BA can hit 100 for all I care, just catch the ball (like tonight).

Domeshot17
06-10-2006, 01:11 AM
ideally, in the AL, the 9 hitter would be the alternative lead off hitter, so say Ozuna was to find himself in CF full time, he would hit 9 as opposed to 2 because after the first inning hes another lead off hitter (speed batter that sets the table for the middle of the order). Its almost more important to have your 9 hit in the AL then your 8 sometimes and we see this. Anderson is a great defensive CF, no doubt, but he needs to learn to hit IMHO or he wont be in CF down in august.

And for whoever thinks politte has trade value? are you nuts? Im pretty sure most teams dont trade for relievers with era's that resemble times in the 6th grade gym class shuttle run

Tragg
06-10-2006, 08:06 AM
I'd do it....he'd come cheaper than Tori Hunter and is a much better hitter than Tori Hunter. This guy can get on base.

Not a bad idea at all.

caulfield12
06-10-2006, 11:21 AM
The problem with obtaining Clark is that he's a 32 year old CFer with a two year contract for $7 million.

Didn't we just get rid of almost exactly the same caliber of player (only younger) in Rowand?

By taking on Clark, we have doomed Anderson's career...or we will have to deal Clark in the offseason for almost nothing in return to reopen the position for Anderson.

The only other possibility is not resigning Pods and moving Clark over to LF, but you want a little more speed or pop from the corner outfielder spot...I can't imagine Clark, Anderson and Dye....but I guess it's possible.

The key to this team remaining competitive is to have players like Anderson, McCarthy, Valido, Fields, Broadway, Lumsden, etc., mixed in with the higher priced players.

It's one of the reasons I see renting Hunter for a half season being a more viable option than being locked into Clark for two seasons. At the payroll we are at, we will need that $3 million for middle relief help, unless JR totally opens the coffers and tells KW to go for broke, which a Hunter acquisition would certainly be.

OTOH, Rodney and Jones are really struggling now for the Tigers, and they're going to be forced to use Miner or an inexperienced pitcher in their rotation, unless they make a move. And Cleveland has a more inexperienced bullpen than we do...in fact, the Twins are only a couple in back of CLE and with Santana and Liriano hot together, they could really make a run if they can get enough offense.

koz
06-10-2006, 12:17 PM
I think Dave Roberts would be a fine temporary solution...Speed/Defense good obp.

caulfield12
06-10-2006, 12:24 PM
What are you going to give up to get him?

The NL West should go down until the final week of the season again, so why would the Pads be interested in dealing him? Who would they replace him with?

Tell me who you would be willing to give up to get him?

Josh Fields? Lance Broadway? Rob Valido? Sweeney?

The problem is, the Padres need players that can contribute right away, this season. They're not going to accept Rob Mackowiak or Ross Gload in return.

caulfield12
06-10-2006, 12:51 PM
DeJesus adds offense, but team really missed his defense

By DAVID BOYCE

The Kansas City Star

As much as David DeJesus’ bat means at the top of the order for the Royals, it’s his defense in center field that’s invaluable.
When DeJesus gets on base consistently, as he did Thursday night against Texas, the Royals’ offense rises to another level.
The three hits, including a home run, plus three runs scored and four RBIs by DeJesus were a big reason Kansas City scored 16 runs against Texas.
“I don’t expect David to do that every night offensively,” Royals manager Buddy Bell said, “but he’s a threat.
“The biggest thing for our club is what he does in center field. It’s something that goes unnoticed. To me, center field, shortstop and catching, you can’t compromise.”

Tragg
06-10-2006, 06:45 PM
Josh Fields? Lance Broadway? Rob Valido? Sweeney?

The problem is, the Padres need players that can contribute right away, this season. They're not going to accept Rob Mackowiak or Ross Gload in return.
My answer would be No, No, No, No. YOu don't give up top prospects for mediocre veteran stopgap players.

rowand33
06-10-2006, 08:33 PM
DeJesus would be fantastic. Hell of a player. I'd love to see what numbers he'd put up on a major league ball club.

getonbckthr
06-10-2006, 10:26 PM
DeJesus would be fantastic. Hell of a player. I'd love to see what numbers he'd put up on a major league ball club.
Didn't KC just give him a relatively cheap long term deal?

Tragg
06-11-2006, 03:22 PM

By DAVID BOYCE

The Kansas City Star

He's the kind of player the Royals need to keep; can't imagine they'd trade him.

Doesn't St Louis have some spare part outfielder? Give them Gload for him - they could use Gload.

Brian26
06-11-2006, 04:41 PM
I think Dave Roberts would be a fine temporary solution...Speed/Defense good obp.

Roberts shouldn't be starting on any team. He's a great reserve role player though.

PicktoCLick72
06-11-2006, 05:31 PM
Has Brady Clark even had a full season that was that successful. He seems like C level talent that would do nothing for us. Besides, he's hurt now.

santo=dorf
06-11-2006, 06:02 PM
How about Mike Cameron?

DaleJRFan
06-11-2006, 08:10 PM
The Angels are pretty much done and out of it. Why not some sort of deal for Juan Rivera and one of their right-handed relievers??

Juan Rivera is a decent defensive option as a temporary CFer and also a solid 4th OF option. He's a bit off of his career numbers this year, but he's been right around 280/15/60 with 300+ ABs in his career.

No way the Angels deal Shields, so I won't even bother suggesting it. What would it take to snag Juan Rivera & Brendan Donnelly... Jon Garland waiving his no-trade clause??

Zisk77
06-11-2006, 11:26 PM
With BA struggling at the plate and all the trade talk I began to think about what the sox did with Aaron Rowand. We started the season with kenny Lofton to mentor Rowand because the sox were not sure he was ready. Then when the sox fell out of the race they traded Lofton. Then the next year Rowand was doing ok but KW traded for Jurassic Carl as an offensive/experience upgrade for the stretch run while Roand came of the bench and had occasional starts. This year BA was are only option to start the season. I would not be surprised if KW doesn't trade some prospects for a cf for the strtch run and bring BA of the bench, especially if its a rental for the season.

Here's my list of possibilities.

Ken Griffey JR. - Longshot expensive and on a current contender.

Carl Crawford - drool:D: , this would be a permaneant solution despite him currently being a corner OF. TB's OF is crowded Baldelli or Gathright could also be had.

Mike Cameron - If SD falls out.

Torii Hunter- twinks will want too much and less likely to trade in division.

Kotsay if the A's implode - unlikely.

Jose Guillen - Attitude problem.

Andruw Jones - Sounds far fetched but atl sucks and they almost traded him 2 yrs. ago. Could be a salary dump.

Juan Pierre - unlikey Cubs help the Sox at this point I predict he becomes a Yankee.

Randy Winn/Steve Finley - these could come relatively cheap.

Eric Byrnes - although he is a Space Cadet.

Others could be available if contenders start imploding:

Texas flatlines - Gary Matthews Jr. becomes available.

Cards. injuries continue - Edmonds who may be damaged good. So Taguchi

Matt lawton is looking for work - Pass.

Too bad the tigers are our main rival because Nook Logan Could be had out of their Minors.

Well thats my thoughts I'm going to bed.

oeo
06-12-2006, 12:09 AM
Andruw Jones - Sounds far fetched but atl sucks and they almost traded him 2 yrs. ago. Could be a salary dump.
I know I'm dreaming, but could you imagine that lineup. :o:

I hope we don't have to trade for anyone and BA is our centerfielder. Make a trade for a bullpen guy, and we're set.

rowand33
06-12-2006, 02:54 AM
Randy Winn would be a great fit. what are the giants even looking for? youth at any position?

ComiskeyBrewer
06-12-2006, 04:59 AM
Has Brady Clark even had a full season that was that successful. He seems like C level talent that would do nothing for us. Besides, he's hurt now.

Last year he hit .306 with an OPS of .798(not shabby for a leadoff guy). 13 HRs, 53 RBI and only 53 Ks in 599 ABs. I would say that is a successful season. As for being hurt, he is day to day, because of a strained shoulder. But he did PH yesterday.

DaleJRFan
06-12-2006, 05:35 AM

By DAVID BOYCE

The Kansas City Star

As much as David DeJesus’ bat means at the top of the order for the Royals, it’s his defense in center field that’s invaluable.
When DeJesus gets on base consistently, as he did Thursday night against Texas, the Royals’ offense rises to another level.
The three hits, including a home run, plus three runs scored and four RBIs by DeJesus were a big reason Kansas City scored 16 runs against Texas.
“I don’t expect David to do that every night offensively,” Royals manager Buddy Bell said, “but he’s a threat.
“The biggest thing for our club is what he does in center field. It’s something that goes unnoticed. To me, center field, shortstop and catching, you can’t compromise.”

I hope the Sox don't trade for DeJesus. He is signed through 2011 and missed almost all of this season so far due to injuries. He has managed only 75 ABs. I guess that makes his 280 BA look a little bit different?

Royals April 22: Placed outfielder David DeJesus on the 15-day disabled list; purchased pitcher Joe Nelson from Omaha of the Pacific Coast League (AAA); transferred pitcher Mike MacDougal from the 15-day disabled list to the 60-day disabled list.

Royals March 12: Signed outfielder David DeJesus to a five-year contract with a club option for 2011.

santo=dorf
06-12-2006, 06:16 AM
Randy Winn would be a great fit. what are the giants even looking for? youth at any position?
For the nth time, Randy Winn signed a horrible extension with the Giants in the offseason. He's too old, and he's not worth the money that the dumbass Sabean signed him for.

jenn2080
06-12-2006, 07:11 AM
I say keep Brian. He will get in his groove and his Defense is a 100 times better then his offense.

rowand33
06-12-2006, 11:33 AM
For the nth time, Randy Winn signed a horrible extension with the Giants in the offseason. He's too old, and he's not worth the money that the dumbass Sabean signed him for.

I apologize for not reading every post on this forum.

caulfield12
06-12-2006, 04:24 PM
Ken Griffey JR. - Longshot expensive and on a current contender. Pujols injury keeps the division up for grabs through the deadline.

Carl Crawford - drool:D: , this would be a permaneant solution despite him currently being a corner OF. TB's OF is crowded Baldelli or Gathright could also be had. Baldelli not likely to be available, but Gathright could be had.

Mike Cameron - If SD falls out.

Torii Hunter- twinks will want too much and less likely to trade in division.

Kotsay if the A's implode - unlikely. If they decide Harden is going to be out for a long time, they might dump Zito and other veterans to the highest bidders

Jose Guillen - Attitude problem. Can´t play CF.

Andruw Jones - Sounds far fetched but atl sucks and they almost traded him 2 yrs. ago. Could be a salary dump. Possibility if NY keeps running away from the division, but I don't think it will happen. He would be the most logical of Smoltz, C. Jones to trade to get the highest return. We would have to give up a ton though.

Juan Pierre - unlikey Cubs help the Sox at this point I predict he becomes a Yankee.

Randy Winn/Steve Finley - these could come relatively cheap.

Eric Byrnes - although he is a Space Cadet. Not now, overvalued.

Others could be available if contenders start imploding:

Texas flatlines - Gary Matthews Jr. becomes available.

Cards. injuries continue - Edmonds who may be damaged good. So Taguchi

Matt lawton is looking for work - Pass.

Too bad the tigers are our main rival because Nook Logan Could be had out of their Minors. Available, but it would be insane to help the Sox. Who would we have to give them...someone way too valuable I´m sure.

Well thats my thoughts I'm going to bed.